I ain’t going nowhere

jasardeax

Sitting on the sofa this morning with my laptop,
looking at Viking and other travel sites, dreaming about taking a cruise or land trip in the Fall. 
Playing around with destinations and possible dates, with Viking cruise brochures scattered around the coffee table. Then the following song came on in Pandora and snapped me back into today’s reality. 

“Well I don't care how many letters they sent
The morning came and the morning went
So pack up your money, and pick up your tent
You ain't going nowhere”

You ain’t going nowhere
Dylan

I ain’t going nowhere, but I am very thankful for being able to travel all these years. 
How can we ever thank all the Doctors, Nurses,
Medical workers, Policemen, Fireman, Food workers, Grocery workers, and countless others. Y

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, jasardeax said:
Sitting on the sofa this morning with my laptop,
looking at Viking and other travel sites, dreaming about taking a cruise or land trip in the Fall. 
Playing around with destinations and possible dates, with Viking cruise brochures scattered around the coffee table. Then the following song came on in Pandora and snapped me back into today’s reality. 

“Well I don't care how many letters they sent
The morning came and the morning went
So pack up your money, and pick up your tent
You ain't going nowhere”

You ain’t going nowhere
Dylan

I ain’t going nowhere, but I am very thankful for being able to travel all these years. 
How can we ever thank all the Doctors, Nurses,
Medical workers, Policemen, Fireman, Food workers, Grocery workers, and countless others. Y

It's "pick up your money, pack up your tent" unless, of course, you're Roger McGuinn.

2 minutes ago, duquephart said:

It's "pick up your money, pack up your tent" unless, of course, you're Roger McGuinn.

And Roger McGuinn was on Viking Sun for some of the recent World Cruise.  Nice guy.  But sadly, that era's rockers look just as old as the rest of us......😳

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Well, since Dylan who wrote the song hardly ever performs it the same way twice, and is known to shuffle the lyrics,

I am sure it’s been sung both ways. 
“Murder Most Foul” is brilliant 

" I aint going nowhere,:

I too am thankful and greatful  for the  places , scared, holy, hollowed,  near and far I have travelled and walked upon.

I remember  the strangers I met for a day, for a week , or longer who  showed kindness, friendship and  laughter with me. 

Big world out there and now it is all a new normal  for us all. 

Signs of hope are here even on a Viking forum  about cruising.

Good tidings to  all of you   on this weekend of new beginnings. 

• Like 2

On 4/11/2020 at 12:05 PM, Jim Avery said:

And Roger McGuinn was on Viking Sun for some of the recent World Cruise.  Nice guy.  But sadly, that era's rockers look just as old as the rest of us......😳

Wow! Cool. Did you meet him?  (Geez...I sound like a groupie...)  They may LOOK old, but some of those guys can still rock out. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 4/11/2020 at 12:00 PM, duquephart said:

"Oo..weee...are we gonna fly....down into the easy chair.....LOL    That classic 12-string guitar sound on songs like Mr. Tambourine Man and Turn, Turn, Turn......great stuff. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 4/11/2020 at 12:07 PM, Jim Avery said:

Correction.  Except for Keith Richards that is.....  He looks exactly like he did "in the day".  100 if he is a day.🍸

Really, just like the late Dick Clark..was seemingly ageless....swear some of those dudes had a picture in the attic ala Dorian Gray.  The miracles of botox. 

What do you mean you are not going anywhere? The surveys shows that 2 passengers out of 3 will go on another cruise. I mean, those who wanted to cruise - will defiantly do it. Even if they dont travel this year, they will defiently go next year or even 2022. There are many best deals around at the moment. Just keep searching and you will pick the one that fits you the best

3 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

He was on our 2019 WC too.  He and his wife are very nice, very approachable.  They played trivia with us.  Loved his lecture, and “concert” on sea shantys!

Pretty cool actually meeting a rock n' roll Hall of Fame artist. As a guitar player who grew up listening to the music of that genre, I'd be thrilled to meet him. So he played while onboard? 

1 minute ago, Roger88 said:

What do you mean you are not going anywhere? The surveys shows that 2 passengers out of 3 will go on another cruise. I mean, those who wanted to cruise - will defiantly do it. Even if they dont travel this year, they will defiently go next year or even 2022. There are many best deals around at the moment. Just keep searching and you will pick the one that fits you the best

I believe the reference was mostly a take off on the song. 

8 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Pretty cool actually meeting a rock n' roll Hall of Fame artist. As a guitar player who grew up listening to the music of that genre, I'd be thrilled to meet him. So he played while onboard? 

He was actually hired as a lecturer, I think.  But he was never without his guitar when on stage.  By the time they disembarked, either Rio of Buenos Aires, they just seemed like another couple we were friends with...

CDEDC566-67AC-40E9-97A1-0173AD063394.png

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 12:05 PM, Jim Avery said:

Yeah...but he, like so many artists, are (hopefully) immortalized through their music. I often wonder about that sort of thing. I mean, the music of Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, etc. are alive and well centuries later. Will people still be listening to Taylor Swift 100 years from now?  (Sorry, I'm not a fan, even though she grew up less than a half-hour from my house...really gets a bit old over the years reading in our local newspaper about virtually everything she is doing).  But...what about the Beatles, Stones, Byrds, CSN&Y, The Who (yeah, not the world health organization either...sheesh), Yes, etc. Will that music still play in the 23rd century?  Will digital media - as it currently exists - survive? And if not, will the recorded music of the past few decades be transferred to some other as yet unexistent media?  Oh well, I have - so far -  my own 3 solo albums floating around out there - so if the COVID gets me - hope someone keeps streaming now and again 🙂  

Edited by OnTheJourney

3 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

He was actually hired as a lecturer, I think.  But he was never without his guitar when on stage.  By the time they disembarked, either Rio of Buenos Aires, they just seemed like another couple we were friends with...

That's awesome.....6-string or 12-string...do you remember? 

On 4/11/2020 at 11:05 AM, Jim Avery said:

The guy has been around the block a few times.

5 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

CDEDC566-67AC-40E9-97A1-0173AD063394.png

Very cool. Can't tell from the angle. Hope he sang one of the old classics along the way 🙂  

Guess every generation basically feels the music of their time was the best!  American Bandstand....lol...think how many budding guitar players, singers, drummers, etc. were so heavily influenced by all that stuff. Probably the genre that came along that I truly disliked was the age of disco. Not a fan of rap, either. Another style of music that always appears sort of timeless is the whole new age genre - the early 80s Windham Hill stuff - Will Ackerman, the late, great Michael Hedges, Alex de Grassi, George Winston, etc. Love all that. My own playing was heavily influenced by that style. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

48 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Wow! Cool. Did you meet him?  (Geez...I sound like a groupie...)  They may LOOK old, but some of those guys can still rock out. 

He was aboard in L/A and got off in Auckland. He presented a couple of great lectures on his career and another on sea shanties. Yes, we met him around the ship almost daily, very down to earth.