Now for something completely different

Who are you renting the car through? Most of the rental car companies have city depots as well as the airport one so you might like to investigate that option. 

We've stayed at the Oaks Melbourne on Lonsdale Suites a couple of times. Although they are on the north-eastern edge of the CBD they are just down the road from a tram stop which is within the free zone. There is a small supermarket next door and it's a short walk to Chinatown. If you get a City View apartment you'll get great views from one of the higher floors. They are very comfortable spacious apartments. I use last minute dot com to book accommodation these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tanks for your recommendation Julie. Lynn has emailed them directly, but alas bookings aren't open yet. I'm still concerned about the whole race thing. I will be happy when we have something booked but fear it will be an expensive lesson in booking early.

We have the itinerary mostly sorted up until Bateman's Bay. From there the next "gotta see that place" is Philip Island. We know it is too far for one hop but wonder where we should stop. Is it too far to make Lakes Entrance from Bateman's in one hop? With so many fun plans at the beginning of our adventure, we are looking at ways to fit things in. While I'm sure we will be missing some wonderful things by rushing through that section of the journey but have several places to see and we're running out of days. 

• Like 1

Hi Lyle,

You will need a sleepover between Batemans Bay and Phillip Island;  it's about 10 hrs without hitches, so too draining when you aren't familiar with conditions (and opposite side driving).  Lakes Entrance, just under 5-1/2 hrs from BBay is a region of natural beauty,  but is a little way off the main route you'll be taking, and your mission is to get to Phillip I.  Orbost, a sizeable town on your route, is just over

4-1/2 hours, so a little under halfway.  There is a range of reasonably-priced motels and hotels in Orbost.  If you had the time, Eden is a wonderful stop:  rich in history of the whaling industry and natural  beauty.  Sadly, if you desire only one stopover, it wouldn't be far enough along, and next day's trek to Phillip I would be too long.  So, 1 stopover:  Orbost.  2 stopovers:  Eden, Lakes Entrance.  Only my suggestions, and I'm sure others will have more advice for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lyle too far to drive from Batemans Bay to Phillip Island in one hit on the coastal route. Orbost would be roughly half way and a good place to stop, with breaks, look around etc, allow 2 x 6 hr driving days.

Linda is spot on with her assessment and advice.

Good luck with your planning mate.  I hope I am still around come 2025, would be great to meet Mr and Mrs Duck.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Hi Lyle,

You will need a sleepover between Batemans Bay and Phillip Island;  it's about 10 hrs without hitches, so too draining when you aren't familiar with conditions (and opposite side driving).  Lakes Entrance, just under 5-1/2 hrs from BBay is a region of natural beauty,  but is a little way off the main route you'll be taking, and your mission is to get to Phillip I.  Orbost, a sizeable town on your route, is just over

4-1/2 hours, so a little under halfway.  There is a range of reasonably-priced motels and hotels in Orbost.  If you had the time, Eden is a wonderful stop:  rich in history of the whaling industry and natural  beauty.  Sadly, if you desire only one stopover, it wouldn't be far enough along, and next day's trek to Phillip I would be too long.  So, 1 stopover:  Orbost.  2 stopovers:  Eden, Lakes Entrance.  Only my suggestions, and I'm sure others will have more advice for you.

Linda, Orbost and Lakes Entrance are both on the Prince’s Highway and on the route from Batemans Bay to Phillip Island. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Lyle too far to drive from Batemans Bay to Phillip Island in one hit on the coastal route. Orbost would be roughly half way and a good place to stop, with breaks, look around etc, allow 2 x 6 hr driving days.

Good luck with your planning mate.  I hope I am still around come 2025, would be great to meet Mr and Mrs Duck.

You most certainly will be🙂

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Linda, Orbost and Lakes Entrance are both on the Prince’s Highway and on the route from Batemans Bay to Phillip Island. 

Yes, I stand corrected, Leigh.  I was thinking of Metung.  We've stayed at both so I shouldn't be confused.  Probably more accommodation to choose from in Orbost.

40 minutes ago, NSWP said:

We will continue to plan hoping you will be home when we get there. We assume you don't have have cruise planned for that time frame. It is by sheer luck that we will meet Mic & Rosie in Sydney as we arrive just before they embark on a cruise to Japan. Be well mate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mareblu said:

Yes, I stand corrected, Leigh.  I was thinking of Metung.  We've stayed at both so I shouldn't be confused.  Probably more accommodation to choose from in Orbost.

As Lakes Entrance is more a tourist town and has around twice the population of Orbost, I would think there would be more accommodation choice there. In saying that, Orbost is roughly half way between Bateman’s Bay and Phillip Island. 

Metung is beautiful. 

12 minutes ago, possum52 said:

As Lakes Entrance is more a tourist town and has around twice the population of Orbost, I would think there would be more accommodation choice there. In saying that, Orbost is roughly half way between Bateman’s Bay and Phillip Island. 

Metung is beautiful. 

Yes, it does, but some accommodation in Lakes Entrance is priced on the high side.  Orbost seems to have more of the sort of offering you'd be seeking for an overnight stop:  comfortable, clean, and with a restaurant attached or nearby.  Metung is indeed extremely beautiful.

• Like 2

we will check out both Orbost and Lakes Entrance. I seem to recall that we had something booked at Lakes Entrance last time. Last time I think we had 2 nights at Philip Island but I think it will be one night now. So we only have the one shot to see the little penguins, hopefully we happen to pick a night when there are fewer people with the same idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Tanks for your recommendation Julie. Lynn has emailed them directly, but alas bookings aren't open yet. I'm still concerned about the whole race thing. I will be happy when we have something booked but fear it will be an expensive lesson in booking early.

We have the itinerary mostly sorted up until Bateman's Bay. From there the next "gotta see that place" is Philip Island. We know it is too far for one hop but wonder where we should stop. Is it too far to make Lakes Entrance from Bateman's in one hop? With so many fun plans at the beginning of our adventure, we are looking at ways to fit things in. While I'm sure we will be missing some wonderful things by rushing through that section of the journey but have several places to see and we're running out of days. 

No, we did Lakes Entrance to Bateman's Bay easily in one day, and we had a later start than expected that day. 

We stayed at a place called Bellevue on the Lakes which was quite nice. There are plenty of places to eat there - we went to the local pub, The Central, which had great food.

Melbourne is a big city so I'm sure you'll be able to find suitable accommodation if you book early enough but maybe not right near Albert Park. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No, we did Lakes Entrance to Bateman's Bay easily in one day, and we had a later start than expected that day. 

We stayed at a place called Bellevue on the Lakes which was quite nice. There are plenty of places to eat there - we went to the local pub, The Central, which had great food.

Melbourne is a big city so I'm sure you'll be able to find suitable accommodation if you book early enough but maybe not right near Albert Park. 

Is that when you ate at Sandbar?  It’s been clised for a while, sadly.  Les said there’d been a fire (I think it was Les who told ys).  I hope David re-opens soon.  He’s a treasure who produces miracles.

Just now, Mareblu said:

Is that when you ate at Sandbar?  It’s been clised for a while, sadly.  Les said there’d been a fire (I think it was Les who told ys).  I hope David re-opens soon.  He’s a treasure who produces miracles.

Excuse typos but I think you can read the message 😉

2 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Yes, it was. Sad to hear it is closed. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Sandbar has been closed since June due to a big fire in kitchen which damaged the building, collapsing part of the roof. Sandar restaurant operators would rent the restaurant bit from the owners of Bay Waters Motel.  Perhaps there are some insurance/liability issues, I don't know. But certainly, a fine restaurant it was, not been there myself but read reviews.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

As Lyle and Lynn are wanting to go to the Penguin Parade and only perhaps staying one night, they would be better to arrive in Phillip Island as early as possible so they can actually see some of the sites on the island other than just going to see the penguins. Sunset in mid March is around 7.45pm so they would need to be seated will before then. So I would suggest they drive to Lakes Entrance which then leaves around a four hour drive to Phillip Island.

14 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

. Last time I think we had 2 nights at Philip Island but I think it will be one night now. So we only have the one shot to see the little penguins, hopefully we happen to pick a night when there are fewer people with the same idea.

Lyle, make sure you book for the Penguin Parade. Penguin Parade It can also be quite cold in the evening so make sure you have suitable clothing and even a rug.

• Like 1

Perhaps it would be best to have a second stop closer to Phillip Island. That way you could have a visit at Eden, stop at Mallacoota or Orbost for the night, then travel through to Port Albert or Port Welshpool for the night. You will then be at Phillip Island by lunch.

• Like 1