Plans for Third Sydney Cruise Ship Terminal Delayed 18 Months

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

European ports have been proposing to have limits on the number of ships along with a maximum limit of passenger numbers at ports. Maybe big ships won't be as viable for post pandemic travel🙄

Bigger ships may be a better option post pandemic as there is more space on them with less pax and they obviously could have more pax than a smaller ship, eg Radiance 2500 pax v  Ovation 5000 pax  so if they have to sail at half capacity 2500 is better than 1250.

Edited by gbenjo

8 hours ago, gbenjo said:

When the renovations were done to the OPT a couple of years ago the actual wharf was modified to physically accomodate an Oasis class ship. The actual Terminal building  however is another story, it could be done but not ideal, especially the debark. 

I think debarking dogs is bad enough, but I am all for debarking some of the passengers I have met.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I think I read somewhere the newer larger ships can break even with 30% capacity.

I thought Oasis class with a width of up-to 65 meters may obstruct ferry movements.

I’m sure they would have taken the width into account......  but it won’t really matter..the oasis class ships will just go to the new terminal in Botany Bay 👍😁

6 hours ago, gbenjo said:

I’m sure they would have taken the width into account......  but it won’t really matter..the oasis class ships will just go to the new terminal in Botany Bay 👍😁

That’s good that I have your attention graham.

Because Me and @The_Big_M Where chatting earlier in the thread about the botany cruise terminal and @The_Big_M was a bit negative about a passenger train service to the terminal.
So we need to work on transport.

You and me in another thread where working on a idea of a water slide from Sydney Airport .

I think we got up to a two way slide ,one coming and one going. 
A green slide for embarking passengers and a red slide for disembarking passengers.

Like traffic lights  ,You know dumbing it down.

Maybe the 3 of us with the forum can work on it.

51 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Light rail is light rail.

Moving 4-5 thousand passengers is a big task.

Yes, a train system like ye olde southampton boat train or the paddington express from lhr into paddington, london, with ample pax and large luggage space is the go. Not the rolling stock on the sydney airport line, which is a joke.

16 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I’ve said it before. Put some bollards in at Sydney Airport and tie up there. So much room. There is even a nice sheltered basis in the middle.

Can extend the rail to the city.  Solved.

55C96640-38F0-4277-A66B-EA924C1BEEE8.thumb.jpeg.e0d4f1b46c639aea94c5f0105c1199a0.jpeg

Your on to something there ,the airport has baggage handling and check in ready to go.

18 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Your on to something there ,the airport has baggage handling and check in ready to go.

They wont need intercruises and the mob gbenjo works for, doing luggage, checkin etc. Sydney airports and qantas have got it all, just like maccas, they have that too. Let us fast track the botany cruise terminal, mr Constance.

Edited by NSWP

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

They wont need intercruises and the mob gbenjo works for, doing luggage, checkin etc. Sydney airports and qantas have got it all, just like maccas, they have that too. Let us fast track the botany cruise terminal, mr Constance.

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

😡😡😡 Are you trying to do me out of a job Uncle Les?????? 😂😂

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

That’s good that I have your attention graham.

Because Me and @The_Big_M Where chatting earlier in the thread about the botany cruise terminal and @The_Big_M was a bit negative about a passenger train service to the terminal.
So we need to work on transport.

You and me in another thread where working on a idea of a water slide from Sydney Airport .

I think we got up to a two way slide ,one coming and one going. 
A green slide for embarking passengers and a red slide for disembarking passengers.

Like traffic lights  ,You know dumbing it down.

Maybe the 3 of us with the forum can work on it.

NUP, was never part of that idea.......for obvious reasons 🤔🤔

One of the main reasons I'm not a fan of the current proposed location of a third cruise terminal is it's proximity to the airport. The main take-off path is directly over that area. With planes passing that low overhead on take-off Passengers would spend their embarkation day huddled in the inside bars or their cabins wearing ear plugs instead of enjoying the outdoor bars or their balconies. 

37 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

The Airport is an interesting concept but I have to think your airport authority would be loathe to have a 16 story building parked by the runways.🤔

They have voiced their concerns about the proposed location of the 3rd terminal.

I still reckon if BHP eventually pulls out of Port Kembla, there is ample room for several deep sea berths for a cruise terminal.  Rail links to Sydney not too far away.

With the Western suburbs airport on the way, just use it for everything and make Kingsford Smith our new cruise terminal, plenty of parking, all the facilities, dedicated train, what more can you need,