Plans for Third Sydney Cruise Ship Terminal Delayed 18 Months

Just now, BRANDEE said:

I'm pretty sure there is no nuclear "threat" with the Intrepid since it became a landmark and a museum.  Keeping it on the dock off NYC would be a risk.  Just glad that they did not scrap her.

Sorry Brandee you misunderstood, the Nimitz would be a problem, the Intrepid was conventionally powered.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

We are building bases a ports for your team, so who knows?

But as for garden island ,I was there today and they are building a big new dock.

A lot of people who do not want the USS Nimitz to be scraped when she is decommissioned would love to see her  become a museum like the USS Intrepid.  What team are you building bases at ports for?

Unfortunately the Nuclear part is what will make it impossible for Nimitz to be a museum. They couldn't save USS Enterprise because of the nuclear component. The last of the Aircraft carriers that could be a museum is John F. Kennedy (she was the last conventionally powered carrier) but the hold for her was removed during the orange administration and she is slated for dismantling.

14 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Unfortunately the Nuclear part is what will make it impossible for Nimitz to be a museum. They couldn't save USS Enterprise because of the nuclear component. The last of the Aircraft carriers that could be a museum is John F. Kennedy (she was the last conventionally powered carrier) but the hold for her was removed during the orange administration and she is slated for dismantling.

He wanted to destroy anything that had a past presidents name on it..even a lunch program for the under privileged children. 

1 hour ago, BRANDEE said:

A lot of people who do not want the USS Nimitz to be scraped when she is decommissioned would love to see her  become a museum like the USS Intrepid.  What team are you building bases at ports for?

We have a airbase near Darwin called Tindal which is being upgraded for your B52’s and B1’s and your 1st fleet near Darwin and Perth 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chiliburn said:

I was watching a YouTube video of them and they are 60 years old.

The engines where built by General Dynamics, now that’s a name from the past.

Wow..they are beautiful and huge.  My dad flew B17's  in WWII.

BTW,  did you know that Princess is still selling cruises to US citizens for Australian and NZ sailings this Oct through April 22 and they are on a "sale"  Someone tell Princess what's up or guess will just keep taking deposits from idiots who don't  know the world travel situation.

3 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Wow..they are beautiful and huge.  My dad flew B17's  in WWII.

BTW,  did you know that Princess is still selling cruises to US citizens for Australian and NZ sailings this Oct through April 22 and they are on a "sale"  Someone tell Princess what's up or guess will just keep taking deposits from idiots who don't  know the world travel situation.

There is still a possibility that cruising will start in October. It's the start of our main cruising season and a logical time for restart. However it will probably depend on things like how well the vaccination rollout has gone and how well our state governments have managed quarantine outbreaks.

But whether the Australian borders are open to international visitors is a different issue.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There is still a possibility that cruising will start in October. It's the start of our main cruising season and a logical time for restart. However it will probably depend on things like how well the vaccination rollout has gone and how well our state governments have managed quarantine outbreaks.

But whether the Australian borders are open to international visitors is a different issue.

I thought it was a definite no international travelers (especially Americans)to your country until mid to end 2022.

4 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

I thought it was a definite no international travelers (especially Americans)to your country until mid to end 2022.

Probably. But politicians have been known to change their minds.

Princess doesn't differentiate between where you live and where you want to cruise. Their systems aren't designed to block, say, US residents from booking cruises in Australia. All cruises are open to everyone but the responsibility is on the individual to determine whether they can get to the embarkation port.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Probably. But politicians have been known to change their minds.

Princess doesn't differentiate between where you live and where you want to cruise. Their systems aren't designed to block, say, US residents from booking cruises in Australia. All cruises are open to everyone but the responsibility is on the individual to determine whether they can get to the embarkation port.

Our friends in Canada can not book on US Princess sights.  They get an entirely different price and sales.  I thought this was worldwide. I didn't think I could book on an Australian sight using US credit cards.  Guess I was wrong.

36 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There is still a possibility that cruising will start in October. It's the start of our main cruising season and a logical time for restart....

That is extremely optimistic I think

Sure CLIA would like that but find me a politician that will be prepared to allow cruising on larger foreign crewed ships in that time frame - and then the issue of just who would be allowed on them

The borders are shut and it’s unlikely they’ll open to visitors from countries which are not in an agreed bubble - and the US almost certainly won’t be one of them 

2 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

Our friends in Canada can not book on US Princess sights.  They get an entirely different price and sales.  I thought this was worldwide. I didn't think I could book on an Australian sight using US credit cards.  Guess I was wrong.

You can't book through Princess Australia but you can book the Australian cruises through the US site, just as we can book US or European cruises through the Australian site. All cruises worldwide are available on all of the various Princess sites or whatever they are. It knows where you are so prices the cruises accordingly, and you might get different deals than what we do but it's all the same cruises.

Actually we did book a Med cruise through a US TA once and got a much better deal than we would have booking through the Australian site. The TA took care of the address issue.😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Sure CLIA would like that but find me a politician that will be prepared to allow cruising on larger foreign crewed ships in that time frame - and then the issue of just who would be allowed on them

The borders are shut and it’s unlikely they’ll open to visitors from countries which are not in an agreed bubble - and the US almost certainly won’t be one of them 

It's the crew issue that would be the stickler but it can be done. RCI are operating cruises out of Singapore right now. I believe the crew had to quarantine for a period before boarding the ship then there was more time before the cruises started.

There are enough Australians wanting to cruise again to fill several ships over the summer season especially if the ships are operating with reduced numbers. I've been on a number of local cruises where there have been very few international passengers, other than Kiwis.

But the big problem is the ignorant attitude of many of our politicians who see cruising as only for the rich (when it's often cheaper than land travel) and ships as dirty, virus-infested vessels (when it's some of the passengers who are virus-infected and who have disgusting lacks of hygiene). Most of those politicians have never set foot on a cruise ship but consider themselves experts about them.

• Like 1

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's the crew issue that would be the stickler but it can be done. RCI are operating cruises out of Singapore right now. I believe the crew had to quarantine for a period before boarding the ship then there was more time before the cruises started.

There are enough Australians wanting to cruise again to fill several ships over the summer season especially if the ships are operating with reduced numbers. I've been on a number of local cruises where there have been very few international passengers, other than Kiwis.

But the big problem is the ignorant attitude of many of our politicians who see cruising as only for the rich (when it's often cheaper than land travel) and ships as dirty, virus-infested vessels (when it's some of the passengers who are virus-infected and who have disgusting lacks of hygiene). Most of those politicians have never set foot on a cruise ship but consider themselves experts about them.

My cousine is from Australia, and she really wants to cruise this year no matter what.  I am sure that there are many foreign companies intrested in starting the cruising with Australia as soon as possible 

16 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I am sure that there are many foreign companies intrested in starting the cruising with Australia as soon as possible 

Google Ponant and New Zealand - it didn't work out too well for Ponant when they thought they were going to cruise in a NZ bubble....and that was with a plan to use one of their smaller ships

2 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Google Ponant and New Zealand - it didn't work out too well for Ponant when they thought they were going to cruise in a NZ bubble....and that was with a plan to use one of their smaller ships

Ponant are also supposed to be cruising out of Broome in April. Our neighbours are booked on a cruise with them then. Of course they have no idea whether it will happen or not. It will be interesting to see if Ponant are allowed to operate here. Personally I don't think they will and even if they do there is no guarantee the WA border will be open.

6 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

That was due to visa issues though. The ship may be a ponant one but it was not supposed to be ponant cruise.

Well I was just going by what was reported here - https://cruisepassenger.com.au/nzs-shock-ponant-ban-puts-kimberley-in-the-spotlight/

& here

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/last-minute-immigration-dispute-threatens-new-zealand-cruise-restart

They certainly gave the impression it was Ponant who were run it and were impacted

Edited by Stickman1990

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Our neighbours are booked on a cruise with them then. Of course they have no idea whether it will happen or not

There's a ton of cruises being marketed and booked around the world right now that have little, if any, chance of sailing as planned

Good for the cruise lines bottom line and giving some hope - but those aren't the factors that will determine when cruising will resume

11 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

There's a ton of cruises being marketed and booked around the world right now that have little, if any, chance of sailing as planned

Good for the cruise lines bottom line and giving some hope - but those aren't the factors that will determine when cruising will resume

Their current booking was a replacement for an earlier one that was cancelled. Like many people, including us, where there are similar itineraries we just keep rolling our bookings forward, especially when there isn't a lot of money involved.

6 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

That's why I felt it was wrong to advertise and offer cruises that won't sail.  Take the deposit knowing it is a sure impossibility.  Of course, the consumer should be aware of what is going on, but there are too many people with their head up their arse....

12 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

That's why I felt it was wrong to advertise and offer cruises that won't sail.  Take the deposit knowing it is a sure impossibility.  Of course, the consumer should be aware of what is going on, but there are too many people with their head up their arse....

Fraudulent trading in my opinion. Selling a product that won't be on the shelf.

• Like 1