Plans for Third Sydney Cruise Ship Terminal Delayed 18 Months

12 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

But to be honest Brisbane doesn’t have much appeal for international tourism  .It doesn’t have the harbour ,doesn’t have the rocks,beaches in the city and doesn’t have Graham Benjo to check you in.

Its always going to be a second destination.

Apart from your last point about check in ( which I totally agree with 😁)Brisbane still has a lot to offer ( even the olympics) but we are talking about an arrival/ departure point for a cruise. International guests can still go to Sydney  after / before  their cruise as they do now to Brisbane/barrier reef/ gold coast etc. from Sydney.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

But to be honest Brisbane doesn’t have much appeal for international tourism  .It doesn’t have the harbour ,doesn’t have the rocks,beaches in the city and doesn’t have Graham Benjo to check you in.

Finally found a reason to sail out of Brisbane.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SinbadThePorter said:

So we beat Melbourne? 😏

For a departure point to go on a cruise it’s a better city,PNG, pacific islands and NZ.

For me it’s a toss up which is better as a city but both ports have the charm of a fatal car smash.

8 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Then you'll probably be disappointed in Botany Bay.

So true .

But what I’m thinking of is the international tourist flying in before a cruise and staying a few nights.

What has the best appeal?

I suppose with Brisbane they could stay at Noosa or the Gold Coast .

Melbourne does a lot of culture,catch the tram to the ship.

Even with The in Rod we trust port botany terminal sydney has it all ,even @gbenjo.

Thats if he isn’t at the buffet.

5 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

So true .

But what I’m thinking of is the international tourist flying in before a cruise and staying a few nights.

Melbourne does a lot of culture,catch the tram to the ship.

Even with The in Rod we trust port botany terminal sydney has it all ,even @gbenjo.

Thats if he isn’t at the buffet.

If you only knew.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

So we beat Melbourne? 😏

Melbourne has a much shorter cruise season due to weather and sea conditions in the cooler months. 

Brisbane is all year round unless a cyclonevis passing by. Ditto Sydney apart from East Coast Lows (which are essentially cyclones that escaped the tropics).

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Civitavecchia isn't a top tourist destination but it is close enough to Rome to combine a city stay with a cruise. A lot of tourists want to visit the GBR and the Gold Coast and it would be a lot closer from Brisbane than Sydney. 

Don't worry about Noosa or the Gold Coast, Moreton and Straddie are 40 minutes ferry ride across the bay. The view from the Point Lookout surf club beats most anything I've seen in Sydney, and sitting on the beach at Tangalooma sipping some beverages watching the sun go down over the city across the bay is also a nice way to spend some time.

10 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Civitavecchia isn't a top tourist destination but it is close enough to Rome to combine a city stay with a cruise. A lot of tourists want to visit the GBR and the Gold Coast and it would be a lot closer from Brisbane than Sydney. 

Yes, and international passengers are not necessarily the biggest percentage of   the passengers and there are a large number of Brisbane / Qld locals that fly to Sydney  to cruise and if they are from Vic it is just another hour on a plane so not much difference.  Chances are that many overseas guests, because they come so far, will do both Sydney and Brisbane/ GBR etc anyway.

I suppose Brisbane will be a popular cruise port in the future,I was thinking on the old grain terminal.

With the new terminal being close to the airport and the factor of it’s climate .

It will be popular, year round cruises to the islands and NZ in summer.
Also we will probably be getting climate refugees  getting away from the heat in the northern hemisphere.

16 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Before we boarded Ruby Princess in Civitavecchia in 2010, we had 3 nights in Civit. Nice town.  Akin to Southampton, lot of maritime history.   We had been to Rome a couple of times.

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Before we boarded Ruby Princess in Civitavecchia in 2010, we had 3 nights in Civit. Nice town.  Akin to Southampton, lot of maritime history.   We had been to Rome a couple of times.

We where supposed to be there now .

I haven’t ever been to Civitavecchaia ,all I’ve heard it’s a bit of a trip from Rome.

Originally we wanted to cruise from Venice but the Royal ships moved to Ravenna which didn’t seem convenient.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I suppose Brisbane will be a popular cruise port in the future,I was thinking on the old grain terminal.

With the new terminal being close to the airport and the factor of it’s climate .

It will be popular, year round cruises to the islands and NZ in summer.
Also we will probably be getting climate refugees  getting away from the heat in the northern hemisphere.

Plus people like us who don't like the bigger ships that Princess homeports in Sydney these days. 

43 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

We where supposed to be there now .

I haven’t ever been to Civitavecchaia ,all I’ve heard it’s a bit of a trip from Rome.

Originally we wanted to cruise from Venice but the Royal ships moved to Ravenna which didn’t seem convenient.

It's about an hour or so from Rome. We stopped there on our Med cruise in 2017. It's a lovely old town with a great market. Unfortunately the touts flogging off tourist junk were everywhere, right in your face, following you down the streets, really, really annoying. We did find a great restaurant for lunch though, Pesce in Bottiglia (Fish in a Bottle), tucked away off the main street on the pedestrian walkway.  

We were supposed to depart from Civitavecchia on the Crystal cruise last year but were going to stay in Rome pre-cruise.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Plus people like us who don't like the bigger ships that Princess homeports in Sydney these days. 

If things get back to normal sydney will need a second wharf for larger ships.

I doubt port botany will happen unless they sell white elephant to pay for it.

If things get back to normal sydney will need a second wharf for larger ships.

I doubt port botany will happen unless they sell white elephant to pay for it.

I totally agree on the second wharf location being Sydney, one of the big attractions is the harbour. It is going to be disappointing enough landing  at the new western airport and having to travel into Sydney, without the added slam of embarking at Botany Bay instead of Sydney's world famous harbour. 

11 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

I totally agree on the second wharf location being Sydney, one of the big attractions is the harbour. It is going to be disappointing enough landing  at the new western airport and having to travel into Sydney, without the added slam of embarking at Botany Bay instead of Sydney's world famous harbour. 

Especially when you've embarked and are trying to enjoy a cocktail by the pool while planes from the airport you couldn't arrive at roar close overhead.

It’s good someone agrees with me.

I think by the time things start to heat up on sydney harbour our second airport will be operating and overtime Mascot will become redundant.

The main reason will be the cost to airlines. Airport west will be run by the government and be much cheaper.
So maybe the owner of Mascot maybe interested in building a cruise terminal.

Something to think about.

11 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

It’s good someone agrees with me.

I think by the time things start to heat up on sydney harbour our second airport will be operating and overtime Mascot will become redundant.

The main reason will be the cost to airlines. Airport west will be run by the government and be much cheaper.
So maybe the owner of Mascot maybe interested in building a cruise terminal.

Something to think about.

I don't think Mascot will become redundant. The whole point of two airports is to increase the overall planes arriving and departing Sydney. It would defeat the purpose if you closed one airport. 

6 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I don't think Mascot will become redundant. The whole point of two airports is to increase the overall planes arriving and departing Sydney. It would defeat the purpose if you closed one airport. 

It probably won’t close but with noise and the curfew airport west will become more attractive.

28 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

It probably won’t close but with noise and the curfew airport west will become more attractive.

Until all the people who bought cheap land near the new airport to build their mansions decide they don't like all the noise overhead early morning and late at night and demand a curfew on arrivals and departures. 🙄

19 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Until all the people who bought cheap land near the new airport to build their mansions decide they don't like all the noise overhead early morning and late at night and demand a curfew on arrivals and departures. 🙄

Well all those people will just have to suck it up, they've known for years that the area was zoned for the second airport.

Too many times people have managed to force an industry to close and move because of creeping suburbia. Unfortunately for us all

many of those very industries decided that it was cheaper to move to China than face the expense of relocating in Australia.

Edited by Russell21
extra bit.