Why does MSC get such relatively poor ratings?

ren0312

Why does MSC cruises get such relatively poor ratings? I understand that it is regarded as an economy cruise line, but then so is Carnival, Royal Carribean, and NCL, but they get a lot better ratings compared to MSC.

The only "poor ratings" I've seen are on reviews and posts here, mostly from people who did not understand that MSC is not a clone of the lines you mention.

And I've seen worse complaints on a couple of those lines.

Can you elaborate?

• Like 5

MSC is slightly different than CCL, RCCL, NCL in some ways and many of the negative reviews fall into the "...we're used to the way things are on our usual line so we didn't like MSC...".

As with all lines, there are areas where MSC can improve so some complaints are legit. When reading reviews, pay attention to the specific complaints and decide if it is something that wouldn't/couldn't happen on another line.

Also, MSC's experiences can cause confusion or disappointment if chosen incorrectly. If someone complains that they couldn't go to a certain part of the ship while other guests could (Aurea sundeck, for ex.), that complaint should be ignored because the person chose the wrong experience.

Is there a specific complaint that concerns you?

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

The only "poor ratings" I've seen are on reviews and posts here, mostly from people who did not understand that MSC is not a clone of the lines you mention.

Can you elaborate?

Exactly MSC is NOT like other cruise lines , so not like American or English cruise lines If you read reviews most negatives/moans are because someone DIDNT do their research on what was/wasnt included in what they booked or they expected a USA MSC ship experience to be the same in Europe and other parts of the world (MSC has modified its sailings in USA to be a little more American) 

Or the expected it to be similar to RCI, Princess, Carnival etc , 

Entertainment, food, even service is very different on MSC 

just an  example you often see folk moan about is " the evening meal took nearly 2 hours"  Thats because Dining is viewed as a social event and not to be rushed 😄

With MSC you either love um or hate um 

I always advise anyone thinking of cruising MSC  for the first time if they have cruised with other lines to research the ship . research the package they are booking (cabin grade etc) and research the cruise line . Just do lots of research 

• Like 5

American's expect a certain experience in cruising that MSC just doesn't provide.  Its a European line, after all, and there's definitely a bit of culture clash between the Americans and Europeans on these ships, especially for cruises out of Miami where Americans expect the experience to be catered toward them, and it just isn't.  Also, the whole 'customer is always right' mindset that Americans have come to expect in their daily lives just doesn't exist.  While other lines may try to sugarcoat situations, MSC will be blunt with you and not mince words when they can't do what the customer wants.

With that said, if you accept these things to be true, and expect the Euro experience, MSC is a great line.  I personally did not have any bad Customer Service interactions leading up to my trip.  In fact, their representatives went well out of their way to help me out when they noticed something was off on my booking, after doing a once-over after I called them about something else.  And the crew on the ship was great.  If I had any complaints, it was mainly about the other people on the trip, and there is very little that the lines themselves can do to prevent that.

I also think MSC thought they could just bring ships to the US and not adjust anything and things would be ok.  When the Seaside started sailing here, pretty much every show was opera based.  And I don't think their stateside Customer Service dept was really ready for the demand they got hit with.  But they went through their growing pains, and the experience is much, much better for it in the end.  But their online reviews, and a lot of the slander they still get on this website, still suffer from those early days where they missed the mark a bit.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Beardface said:

If I had any complaints, it was mainly about the other people on the trip, and there is very little that the lines themselves can do to prevent that.

I agree with everything Beardface mentioned. I will add that it was a crew member who pointed this out to me: many, if not MOST of the MSC passengers out of Miami are North Americans who don't speak English as their first language. If you hear French, they are likely from Canada. If you hear Spanish, the passengers are likely from the Miami area, or Florida. You will find some Italians, Germans, and miscellaneous others. 

There are many things to love about an MSC cruise and value is tops. My top complaint are the 5-7 languages spoken on MSC ships. Yes, there were SEVEN on our seven day cruise out of Rome because 1/3 of the passengers were Chinese nationals.

1 hour ago, golferwife said:

I think negative comments can be more about shoreside customer service. It is horrific. No one has authority to solve a problem. 

Could not agree with you more.  I hear it about customer services aboard as well.  There’s a negative approach when it come to public relations.  And as you state, MSC seems to turn a blind eye to it.

We’ve sailed on many MSC cruises, once in the Yacht Club, there was no looking back.  The service is impeccable and far exceeds any other cruise line we’ve experienced.  However, even in the YC, sometimes people are still learning their job.  With that said, the old saying “you get what you pay for” should mean, "you should get what you pay for."  Courteous behavior makes a person want to say thank you.  Something MSC could add to their handbook.

Peekyman 

I think that most complaints come from cruisers that expect MSC to be like other cruise lines in this market (Royal, Carnival, NCL, etc) and then they are disappointed when they realize that it’s not. I always remember during my first MSC cruise out of Miami, listening to a group of passengers loudly complaining about MSC and swearing that the were going back to Carnival. The source of their discontent? The lack of a comedy club, no dwelling pianos, and no Guy’s Burgers. 

MSC is indeed a mass market cruise line, but it has its own distinct flavor. It appeals to many, but it also alienates many, specially cruisers who are set on their ways and who are used to the way other (mostly American-based) cruise lines do things. Personally, I love MSC, and I believe that they deliver a fantastic product, specially when you factor in how much they charge. It’s because of their pricing why my family was able to cruise the Mediterranean in wonderful suite accommodations for less than yet another Caribbean cruise in standard accommodations, 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

MSC is indeed a mass market cruise line, but it has its own distinct flavor.

4 hours ago, Beardface said:

Its a European line, after all,

Beardface's and Tapi's post explains why I booked a MSC cruise on Meravigilia.  I was looking for something different in a cruising experience.  I received it and was pleased.

5 hours ago, glittergal1 said:

I always advise anyone thinking of cruising MSC  for the first time if they have cruised with other lines to research the ship . research the package they are booking (cabin grade etc) and research the cruise line . Just do lots of research

Upon my return from Meraviglia, I sent a very positive review of my experiences to my cruising friends.  One couple, who was going to be in Florida for a HAL cruise and were shopping for another before they came home, after an exchange of e-mails, decided to book Meraviglia because of my recommendation.  Because of booking close to sailing, all of the Experiences that were available were Bella for them.  (I had sailed in YC, but had many positive outside of YC experiences as well.)  They liked their cruise.  But, having just sailed on a HAL ship, their experience did not match what I enjoyed.  I had researched the MSC cruising experience exhaustively before I booked; I knew what to expect.  (Expect for the Port of Miami arrival and embarkation horrors.)  They had not done such research and were thus somewhat disappointed.  (We are still friends, nonetheless.)

glittergal1 is so right:  RESEARCH before booking.  It's the old "Buyer Be Aware" cliche at work.  

• Like 1

It's poorer service and poorer food quality when compared to other cruise lines. The ships themselves are very nice, and better than some other cruise lines, especially when it comes to the suites area. I suspect those who love MSC have low service and food expectations or have limited experience with other cruise lines. If MSC was to upgrade its food and service they could have one of the better cruise products out there but that would require spending more money. I certainly wouldn't mind paying a bit more to get a better experience.

With respect to the food, I tend to eat a lot of raw produce.  There were more fruit options than Id seen on other lines and veggies that were just out were somewhat uninspired but you could ask for veggies that were being used to make other things.  I was able to get almost anything I wanted in sufficient quantities and it was always fresh looking and tasting.  I tend to eat pretty plainly due to health issues and they were always accommodating with my requests.  So I felt the service was pretty good and I felt the food ingredients were great. 

• Like 1

I have sailed on about 70 cruises on almost all the major lines, last several years we have done suites on rccl, celeberty and Hal. MSC yacht club was a total bargain for the money , only issue we had was booking cruise while on board. Lounge was unbelievable nice way better than rccl or celebrity suite lounge, Hal doesn’t even have a real suite lounge . Also food was way better that rccl suite restaurant but not as good as celebrity suite restaurant but way cheaper. No crowds anywhere in yacht club area, both inside and in pool area. Entertainment was way better than celebrity but not as good as rccl.  Best pizza on any ship .

• Like 2

We sailed on the Inaugural Seaside cruise out of Miami and then the following April, there was one show on each cruise which included some Opera so no idea where the mostly Opera shows came from. 

Having sailed Four out of Ten MSC cruises from Miami we have had few issues with guest services but we don't expect them to do everything right away knowing how they work.

Demanding things as we have seen on many occasions will get you nowhere with MSC regardless of where you come from.

Frustration for many especially those from the USA is down to lack of research, a lack of understanding of the MSC product and the various cabin levels and expecting the same cruise as the other American lines.

I also believe that travel agents did not help those seeking to sail with MSC due to their own lack of product knowledge.

Our last cruise last Xmas on Meraviglia had the worst food meat wise in the MDR of all of our cruises with MSC, this really does need looking at.

We have also sailed with Costa, NCL, Royal, Princess and Cunard.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

I suspect those who love MSC have low service and food expectations or have limited experience with other cruise lines.

I’m sure that there’s people who do fit that assessment. But I’ve been cruising for almost 40 years. During that time, I’ve cruised aboard most major cruise lines, a handful of premium cruise lines (as well asome defunct ones), in various regions of the world. I do appreciate the more upscale service and better cuisine that other cruise lines provide, yet I love MSC and I easily place it as one of my favorites. 

My love for MSC doesn’t reside in their service or food (I agree that there’s room for vast improvement for both). My love for this cruise line resides in the things that make it unique and which, simply stated, appeal to my personality and to my personal preferences when I cruise. MSC has managed to create an ambiance that sets it apart from the other mass market cruise lines in this segment of the industry. And I do appreciate that MSC offers their product at prices that make it a great value. 

Sure, MSC could upgrade their service and food and raise prices accordingly. The upgrades may make it more attractive to many, but then the price increase may make it less attractive to others. Personally I do like MSC’s balance between product offered and price charged.

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, sidari said:

I also believe that travel agents did not help those seeking to sail with MSC due to their own lack of product knowledge.

I use a very experienced travel agent and she appreciated my view of my my MSC cruise.  She has had very few clients, and no personal experience, sailing on MSC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

It's poorer service and poorer food quality when compared to other cruise lines. The ships themselves are very nice, and better than some other cruise lines, especially when it comes to the suites area. I suspect those who love MSC have low service and food expectations or have limited experience with other cruise lines. If MSC was to upgrade its food and service they could have one of the better cruise products out there but that would require spending more money. I certainly wouldn't mind paying a bit more to get a better experience.

My friends, to whom I referenced in a previous post, found the food quality and the variety available on a daily basis in the buffet restaurant disappointing.  Some food cold; some not well prepared, pizza was good, though.  From their comments to me, I don't think their MDR Steward was the world's best.  

They agreed that the Meraviglia is a beautiful ship and the entertainment that they experienced was very enjoyable.  MSC's employment of a well respected retired HAL Cruise Director, Gene Young, to be the CD on Meravigilia for this Fall/Winter season says to me:  they are trying to meet the expectations of North American guests.  As a past YC guest, I was well pleased.  Was everything perfect?  No.  There were two dinners in the YC Restaurant that were "misses" as to the entrees.  Other courses--and service--remained what I expected.  (On the other hand, I can go to my favorite  local up-scale restaurant and leave thinking--"well, that's was a waste of money").     

MSC, if I am correct in my thinking, has gone through a succession of North American executives in their Fort Lauderdale office overseeing their product.  All have had cruise executive backgrounds.  I am of the opinion that the gentleman currently in that position does have the experience to help make the MSC cruise product a successful one for the North American market.  What is the opinion of the MSC Chairman and the CEO with my thought? 

MSC can provide a very good value driven product, but most experienced shoppers in the USA purchase MSC at  40-60% less than the competition. At those prices, MSC must cut cost somewhere. And while their ships are beautiful, MSC has some of the most crowded space ratios in the building. You don't get champagne on a beer budget, but you can get a decent boxed wine. If you are looking for value, MSC is a good bet (IMO of course).

On 4/13/2020 at 11:05 AM, shipgeeks said:

Can you elaborate?

That's no excuse for the lack of service or the quality of food.

2 hours ago, potsie57 said:

Feel free to upgrade at additional cost if this is what you are looking for. The option is always available to you.

3 hours ago, potsie57 said:

We thought the service was excellent, and the food, overall, quite good.  That's why I'm still curious what poor reviews the OP is referring to.  I know there were poor reviews over a year ago, when reviewers complained about "nothing but opera in the theater",  "long dinner times", etc.

BTW, we did not sail Yacht Club; we were Bella in a regular cabin because we had done our research and knew that would be the best fit for us.  We have sailed many times on RC, HAL, X, and several other lines.  This year MSC became our favorite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

BTW, we did not sail Yacht Club; we were Bella in a regular cabin because we had done our research and knew that would be the best fit for us.  We have sailed many times on RC, HAL, X, and several other lines.  This year MSC became our favorite.

This is what does not make sense to me.  My friends, who sailed on Meraviglia, and are almost as experienced HAL guests as me, booked Bella in a balcony cabin.  They were "satisfied" with their experience.  But, they won't be back.  Admittedly, they had not done their research.  They depended upon my experience just weeks before they sailed on the same ship.  But, I wonder if MSC suffers from the same defect that I think HAL suffers.  The consistency of product produced differs too much from ship to ship, sailing to sailing.  

Both companies have a very large number of cruise ships.  How effective is the Company's control of the cruise experience that each ship, each sailing produces?    

We are booked on the Seaview for this November (which hopefully is still on). We have sailed extensively with RCL and a couple of times with Celebrity.

We chose MSC partly because it is different. I'm looking forward to a big mix of nationalities (instead of just Americans and more of us Brits) and a different approach to many.aspects.

I personally enjoy long leisurely dinners ( have never ever eaten dinner in the buffet and not going to start now).

Roll on November!

• Like 3

I think it's because they keep changing what comes with what experience, especially drink packages, and don't honor what was booked with. Their position seems to be it's my bat and my ball and I'll do what I want. Sometimes, you can get it changed back on board, but most of the time, you are out of luck.If you call about it, the story is I can't help you, sorry.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

We chose MSC partly because it is different. I'm looking forward to a big mix of nationalities (instead of just Americans and more of us Brits) and a different approach to many.aspects.

I personally enjoy long leisurely dinners ( have never ever eaten dinner in the buffet and not going to start now).

😄!  Your reasons are among mine as to why I decided to book a MSC cruise.