Holland America Line Pauses Ship Operations Through June 30

mkkao924

So we are booked on the Koningsdam for Alaska, August 15th, booked directly with HA and paid the $239pp insurance.  Final payment due May 17th.   If I wait for HA to cancel is my insurance money refunded?......and if I cancel on my own before May17th it's not?....opinion please?

20 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

I have 2 final payments do on  May 10th, for a August  and September cruise  what should I do ?????

I wouldn't send any cruise line any money for anything right now.  Whether a deposit is at risk or not.  But that's just me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MNMNFTLAUDERDALE said:

Opinion please?

Ask and ye shall receive ...

(1) if you cancel, Short-term Cancel Policy will apply.  HAL retains CPP. 

(2) if HAL cancels option (1) FCC or (2) refund will apply - your CPP will be refunded under option (2) 

source:  (public domain)  https://gohal.com/app/uploads/2020/04/Cruise_Cancellation_Commission_Protection_Reference-Grid_041420_Final.pdf

Scott. 

image.thumb.png.d7a89d813fe63665063366ec1a1e1147.png

I would be very surprised if Alaska cruises happen in July, or indeed for the rest of the season. 

I would be even more surprised if anyone wanted to sail on a July cruise-anywhere.   For many itineraries there may well be an issue as to what ports will be allow them dock. 

Nor would I be giving any cruise line  my money at this point in time.   Now is the time for cruise lines to do a one dollar booking deposit sale  on future cruises.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, slidergirl said:

For the Alaska Land & Sea people - remember that the National Parks may be closed, so that would quash a big part of your Land trip.  And, since Glacier Bay is also part of a National Park, cruising that part of Alaska could be up in the air, also.

Here in town, I know several of our local bus drivers who do seasonal driving here and then go up to Alaska to drive for the tourists up there.  None of them have been offered contracts yet - still waiting to hear from their usual employers what the plan is for the season.  

I don't know why you are so concerned about things being open and having workers in ports to greet cruisers. I have been on several Caribbean cruises during Christmas time and HAL had no trouble bringing us to a port on Christmas Day (when nothing was open). This happened to me in the Grand Cayman one year. There was literally nothing to do or anywhere to eat. There is nothing wrong with arriving in Skagway or Ketchikan, walking off the ship, and meandering around town for a few hours. You could go for a hike even. No one needs a tour or restaurant. It would be better than sitting at home hiding from the world.

2 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I don't know why you are so concerned about things being open and having workers in ports to greet cruisers. I have been on several Caribbean cruises during Christmas time and HAL had no trouble bringing us to a port on Christmas Day (when nothing was open). This happened to me in the Grand Cayman one year. There was literally nothing to do or anywhere to eat. There is nothing wrong with arriving in Skagway or Ketchikan, walking off the ship, and meandering around town for a few hours. You could go for a hike even. No one needs a tour or restaurant. It would be better than sitting at home hiding from the world.

Personally, I don't care and I'm not concerned.  If I go to Alaska it'll be to my friend's family  place - the Yetna Station (gotta fly into it).  

I was just saying many people cruise to go Alaska for all that tourist stuff and would be disappointed if they couldn't grab a tourist bus to go sightseeing or visit that lumberjack show or visit the Tanzanite stores or stay at the HAL hotels in Denali.   They aren't up to walking trails or even hiking.  Me?  I'm a get off the ship and wander around kind of person, always with my trail runners on or boots...

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Personally, I don't care and I'm not concerned.  If I go to Alaska it'll be to my friend's family  place - the Yetna Station (gotta fly into it).  

I was just saying many people cruise to go Alaska for all that tourist stuff and would be disappointed if they couldn't grab a tourist bus to go sightseeing or visit that lumberjack show or visit the Tanzanite stores or stay at the HAL hotels in Denali.   They aren't up to walking trails or even hiking.  Me?  I'm a get off the ship and wander around kind of person, always with my trail runners on or boots...

I agree with what you are saying. HAL would need to be very clear with cruisers as to what will be open in port before they advertise anything.

2 hours ago, Janet76 said:

I agree. We have pending cruise in August and we will probably cancel as things are still up in the air.  Tbh, I don’t see Alaska 2020 happening.

Since both Canada and Seattle have closed their ports, it would seem that no cruises will be going to Alaska this year.

5 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I agree with what you are saying. HAL would need to be very clear with cruisers as to what will be open in port before they advertise anything.

HAL be clear???  Surely you jest!!! 😼

On 4/16/2020 at 8:32 AM, bouhunter said:

I wouldn't send any cruise line any money for anything right now.  Whether a deposit is at risk or not.  But that's just me.

Excellent. 

Those deposits are just interest-free loans to foreign companies right now. There are a lot of our neighbors who are suffering in this crisis - if I have spare money, that's where it will go. 

FYI - P&O and Cunard, two members of the Carnival Corp & plc operating as Carnival United Kingdom, just announced extending their pause in operations up to and including July 31, 2020 as a result of the continued impact of COVID-19. The other members of the group (AIDA, Carnival, Costa, Holland America, P&O Australia, Princess and Seabourn) have not followed as of yet

• Thanks 4

29 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

FYI - P&O and Cunard, two members of the Carnival Corp & plc operating as Carnival United Kingdom, just announced extending their pause in operations up to and including July 31, 2020 as a result of the continued impact of COVID-19. The other members of the group (AIDA, Carnival, Costa, Holland America, P&O Australia, Princess and Seabourn) have not followed as of yet

.....as of yet.  By this evening though.....  

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Had they previously announced (as has Holland America and Princess that I know of) a pause until the end of June?

Is there a place on CC (or another site) that shows all cruise lines' current plans/cancellation schedules?

For those of us who sail with multiple lines, this would be a real help....

Edited to add: Nevermind, I found the info on CC; looks like they are keeping it updated:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5182/

Edited by cruisemom42

If you want to go on the cruise, keep the booking. If HAL cancels it, you'll likely get all of your money back.

If you don't want to go...or if you are concerned about sending HAL any more money... cancel it and take back whatever you can get.

Personally, I don't expect there will be much, if any Alaska season this year. Current operating announcements leave only August and September as likely.....and September gets pretty cool in Alaska. I just don't think it will happen.

When I did a test booking of our July 17, 2020 Voyage of the Vikings on the HAL website yesterday, it looked like it was still a go.

But just a few minutes ago, when I again did a test booking of this cruise, there were no Voyage of the Vikings cruises (whole or segments) and nothing available from Boston to Europe.