Let's go on a virtual NZ and Australia cruise

We were up early to watch the sail through the Marlborough Sounds and for the wonderfully conducted Anzac Day Dawn Service. I think most passengers were on deck to observe the occasion. Well done to those who organised the service. A Gunfire breakfast was served, a great tradition still being carried on. We will head off the ship shortly to do the train trip. Looking forward to it.,

17 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Beautiful shots Madame Cruise Director. Wonderful view, I'm afraid that hike is way above my feeble fitness level. 

I wouldn't be able to do it these days either but I'm glad we had the opportunity to do it when we did.

• Like 1

As we had only come across from Wellington we arrived early at the entrance to the sounds so Captain hove to for a while and we got a good view of the memorial to Captain Cook at ships cove .I found a video with a drone view of the cove to share , from you tube.

• Like 4

Thnanks, I was hoping someone would have photos of the train.

I wonder what the history of that engine is. When I was very young I lived in Dunedin. I recall a couple of trips up to Christchurch on the train, pulled by a steam engine. Just out of Port Chalmers there was a big tunnel and there was always a rush to shut all the carriage windows so the smoke and embers didn't get in while going through the tunnel.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

Itinerary Item 10 – Akaroa

Welcome to beautiful Akaroa Harbour, home to the rare Hector’s Dolphins. Akaroa has an interesting history. The French heard about this lovely country down under and decided to settle it. Unfortunately the British beat them to it, but many of the French colonists settled in Akaroa.

There are plenty of tours of offer at the wharf, including swimming with dolphins. One thing I recommend is the Giant’s House which has a whimsical garden full of ceramic sculptures. The views from the top of the garden are wonderful too. Further round the harbour there is a Cheese Shop at Barry’s Bay, and a couple of wineries at French Farm Bay.

Christchurch is about 90 minutes drive away, and limos/minibuses are available if you wish to go there. It's a lovely drive there and, if time permits, ask your driver to bring you back via Lyttleton. Christchurch was severely damaged in an earthquake on 2011 but has reimagined itself since then. I do recommend a visit to the Antarctic Centre, take a warm jacket and wear closed shoes so you can experience the Storm Dome, and definitely do the Hgglund Field Trip (tip- see if you can get in the cab with the driver, not in the back section).

Akaroa has great fish and chips. I recommend Bully Hayes Restaurant, or Akaroa Fish and Chips for takeaways.

Akaroa is a tender port.

Our next port of call is Port Chalmers for Dunedin.

If you’ve just joined us, please read the first post which contains the rules for this thread. Note this is a luxury all inclusive ship - all drinks, restaurants, internet, excursions, spa, beauty salon.

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

IMG_2554.thumb.JPG.43549244b0f1cc893f5977c92591aeeb.JPG

😢I was hoping to have a day at Akaroa plus a day docked at Littleton for easy access to Christchurch so we can see the best of both areas. There is so much you can see at Akaroa. I love it, but I want to see Christchurch too! 

Leigh

I have done three different excursion in Akaroa during the last two years and thoroughly enjoyed all of them.

Visit the little blue penguins at Pohatu Penguins. The drive there takes in spectacular scenery and the penguin colony was very interesting. As I was there during the day, I did not get to see the adults coming back from the sea (that happens in the evening) but we saw several chicks 'under observation' being fed and went to check out a few next boxes. It depends on the time of year whether there will be chicks .

RX009141.thumb.JPG.e4d65d56445900b9bb433ccd8dc4c39a.JPG

A Harbour Cruise with Akaroa Dolphins. Their boat is a bit smaller which appealed to me. Fabulous weather, we saw quite a few dolphins, a few penguins and some seals and enjoyed spectacular scenery.

RX022220.thumb.JPG.2b466e0b23ac821d295c6d426925961c.JPG

In February I finally did the Eastern Bays Scenic Mail Run where you ride in the mail delivery van, which covers approx. 120km delivering the mail to the outlying properties. The scenery is absolutely spectacular as the route goes up and over the ridges and down into the valleys.

RX025601.thumb.JPG.5ba0fbb8c368f63d7503ecae82e47cae.JPG

Edited by boeckli
  • Like 1

We decided to head out of town.  We took a private tour that drove us through some magnificent scenery out to Arthur's Pass.  Here we boarded the TransAlpine train to travel through part of the Southern Alps.  Wow, the views were amazing, the train gave us great views of the peaks and glaciers.  All too soon the ride was over.  We were met by our driver, and took a scenic ride back to town.  There was even just enough time to explore the shops before catching the last tender back to the ship

03FA9555-8A19-46BC-B314-257FE2EA7A6D.jpeg

78DF921F-393B-4952-9F7B-489FCC084E5B.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks Mic, I haven't seen a Kookaburra, but we have kingfishers here and they are very similar except the beak is a little different. One of the reasons we want to make the big trek down under is to see the cool critters you have down there. We enjoyed our Alaska cruise last year but we have many of the same critters here. We had a bear in our yard a few years back, Bald Eagles decided to hang out at our house for about a week last year. Orcas and seals and sea lions about 3 miles away at the beach. We look forward to new adventures hopefully starting new year. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Mic, I haven't seen a Kookaburra, but we have kingfishers here and they are very similar except the beak is a little different. One of the reasons we want to make the big trek down under is to see the cool critters you have down there. We enjoyed our Alaska cruise last year but we have many of the same critters here. We had a bear in our yard a few years back, Bald Eagles decided to hang out at our house for about a week last year. Orcas and seals and sea lions about 3 miles away at the beach. We look forward to new adventures hopefully starting new year. 

DEC502A6-310A-442F-ACE9-782ADA2BAB95.jpeg

F3B034E0-B329-40A8-ABF5-85177F764099.jpeg

FB884A11-0E6E-4B6A-B028-CE8E0B37EA20.jpeg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Itinerary Item 10 – Akaroa

The French flavoured village of Akoraoa is my absolutely favourite place in NZ.  I fell in love with this town on our first cruise of New Zealand and my love endures, if not grows stronger with repeated visits.  

This morning we'll visit Akaroa Museum, which chronicles the town’s development, especially its 19th century British and French colonial history.  I can spend entire day visiting a museum, much to Mr Bubbeh's irritation.  I'm a read everything and digest it before moving on person.  In the afternoon, we went to this beautiful cafe for lunch and ate massive toasted cheese and french mustard sourdough sandwiches with more than a couple of SSBs just to wash it down.  Eating on the front verandah gave us the opportunity to 'people watch' which is always fun.  Being so visible, we were lucky enough to be joined by several of our fellow cruisers who helped us devour the huge cheese platter we'd ordered for desert.  

We waddled our way to the jetty just in time to get the last tender and before we know it we're back onboard.  And so ends another magic day in NZ.

Edited by Bubbeh

We went out on a dolphin cruise and it was a wonderful morning, we saw a pod of Hector dolphins, seals and other sea life. 

After a lunch of fish and chips which we ate sitting watching over the bay. We then walked around the pretty town, stopping to have a beer in the sun while we people watched before making our way back to the ship. Another fabulous day in Akaroa. 

E596E395-2A0F-4B04-BA39-7F6B08EAA6DE.jpeg

7A2341F5-FC9D-4D9C-9B16-BE34C7DB4EA9.jpeg

229294B8-883D-46B2-8488-FAC9E7C85C84.jpeg

B74AD8AD-1BFD-479E-AAFD-1F3C3AF78FC6.jpeg

92F6F550-E313-48C9-9F07-AD97898C317F.jpeg

E8E453A4-F6D2-4810-971B-3C8EFA6ED9A7.jpeg

• Like 1

Well it has been a great day, we just wandered around the town and enjoyed the area. We decided on fish and chips, pretty tasty. I just realized I have no idea what kind of fish I've been eating, a little help please. We are pretty picky on the west coast for Halibut for fish and chips. Cod is the less expensive choice.