Let's go on a virtual NZ and Australia cruise

12 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

As for restaurants, you forgot the

Thai Tanic - Thai cuisine

The Pita Pan - Middle Eastern cuisine

Juan in a million - Mexican cuisine

Posh Spice or Via-Agra  Indian cuisine

Chops and Hops   steakhouse wih craft beers.

Most of those are in the food court though, except for Chops and Hops.

11 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

The Pavlova in the Dining Room is excellent!  Can we get Pavlova in any of the other venues?

The Patisserie usually has it, and Brae on the Pearl sometimes does a rather interesting version of it. 

We are lucky to get real pavlova on this ship instead of the pathetic little dry meringues that most cruise ships try to pass off as pavlova. Pavlova isn't pavlova without that centre of light, fluffy marshmallow to contrast with the crisp outer shell.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We were on the Milford Mariner in 2007 also. 21st/22nd March according to the date on my photos.

That's an awesome photo too. I think I was too busy looking over the side of the ship in awe of how close we were to the side of the fiord.

Just checked my photos and we were on the Mariner 26th/27th March 2007 🙂

Edited by boeckli

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The Patisserie usually has it, and Brae on the Pearl sometimes does a rather interesting version of it. 

We are lucky to get real pavlova on this ship instead of the pathetic little dry meringues that most cruise ships try to pass off as pavlova. Pavlova isn't pavlova without that centre of light, fluffy marshmallow to contrast with the crisp outer shell.

I agree!  And in the US, it is practically non-existent in bakeries or restaurants.  So it's a treat for me to have one every day while aboard.

When I left Australia 38(!) years ago, the last meal I had included a pavlova made by my best friend's mother.

The other thing I'm really enjoying, that I don't get much of back home, is the Australian pawpaw.  Yum!

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Mrs Gut asked about Vegan junk

There are vegan options in the MDR and at some of the speciality restaurants, plus a vegan/vegetarian outlet in the food court - I think the vegan options are on the right, they keep them separated.

11 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I agree!  And in the US, it is practically non-existent in bakeries or restaurants.  So it's a treat for me to have one every day while aboard.

When I left Australia 38(!) years ago, the last meal I had included a pavlova made by my best friend's mother.

The other thing I'm really enjoying, that I don't get much of back home, is the Australian pawpaw.  Yum!

Make your own pavlova. It's easy enough.

Actually you rarely see it in bakeries and restaurants in Aus/NZ. Supermarkets sometimes sell dreadful versions of it though. 

45 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Make your own pavlova. It's easy enough.

Actually you rarely see it in bakeries and restaurants in Aus/NZ. Supermarkets sometimes sell dreadful versions of it though. 

Nothing wrong with the  supermarket version in NZ 

https://www.cowellspavlova.co.nz/

ACB76FA0-4CDE-4214-8E4B-51BAD15D7474.thumb.jpeg.fd86bd2e2fd0c1a42b0dd96a6e50c7a7.jpeg

Food wonderful food, I'm sure it has been mentioned but do we have a proper pub? Hand pulled Ales and Lagers, dart boards and boisterous conversation. Pub grub would be things like Mr. Gut's "dogs eyes" and great fish and chips. Burgers come as a beef patty and a bun, you dress it yourself from the condiment bar. 

We will definitely be dining at Edo, tempura and sushi, yummy. Too bad they don't have Teppanyaki, it is such a fun way to enjoy great food with a group, plus you get the floor show. 

We must also try the French Cuisine, I love French Onion soup (although there is no elegant way to eat it, I need a bib) No duck for this duck though, probably Steak au poivre. Cherries Jubilee (done properly flambe at the table) for dessert.

We haven't done very much Spanish cuisine, we must go there. Paella is so good.

I wonder if they will do a Bavarian night at one of the food court stations, schnitzel with spaetzle and red cabbage.

There is a Thai outlet in the food court so we will be looking at that. I'm not sure we have ever had "proper" Chinese food here, it's all North American style here in Canada.

Any chance a guy can find a decent plate of poutine on this ship?

Edited by Blackduck59

55 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Sorry, Blackduck59, no proper cherries jubilee, or baked alaska, or crepes suzette (my favourite) or any other flambed dish. 😪

That's no fun.  Just about every "French" dessert is best when it's set on fire. We had the cherries jubilee on the Eclipse and it was really quite tasteless, I was disappointed. The baked Alaska wasn't that great either. Maybe I can get Peach Melba they don't have to set that on fire😉

33 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

That's no fun.  Just about every "French" dessert is best when it's set on fire. We had the cherries jubilee on the Eclipse and it was really quite tasteless, I was disappointed. The baked Alaska wasn't that great either. Maybe I can get Peach Melba they don't have to set that on fire😉

Yes, it's a nuisance but safety comes first unfortunately. 

But there are many delicious desserts available on this ship so jump out of your comfort zone and try something new. 

• Like 1

Desserts can be boring on some cruise lines. Celebrity in particular. Princess usually does great souffles and chocolate desserts. However most cruise lines tend to stick with the basics - creme brulee, lemon (or lime) tart, cheesecakes, apple pie, and so on.

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Bring some cheese curd, the chips and gravy will be available

I saw Michael Portillo sampling that last night on Great Canadian Train Journeys . He did not seem very impressed by it, trying hard to be polite in his distaste. I think it was called poutine.