Canceled my cruise...so sad.

joteacher

Time is, should be, on our side - staying alive, healthy is key to get thru this global pandemic.   We cancelled our cruise earlier this month booked on the Bliss, 2 out of 3 balconies already paid in full.  Another cruise at the end of this May on the Encore cancelled & refunded by taking the penalty instead in early March.  Not able to enjoy what we do is sad, painful and disappointing, and six feet apart with a mask is difficult but nothing worst than six feet under. 

I am sure nobody wish to be in Joe's shoes, another person that is lost to Covid-19, behind the numbers and curves.  The story on NY TImes of a bar owner (JJ Bubbles on 3rd. Ave in the heart of Bay Ridge) from Brooklyn NY that were skeptical, travel, took a cruise last month, came back fine - apparently, then ... his SPO2 dropped to 70%.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/18/nyregion/coronavirus-jjbubbles-joe-joyce.html

https://www.brooklynpaper.com/frozen-in-time-bay-ridge-bar-owner-joe-joyce-remembered-as-local-legend/

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GlamorousGirl said:

I just checked my NCL app and noticed they already canceled my March 2021 cruise in Asia on the Spirit, even though they have not cancelled my May 2020 Europe cruise yet. Cancelling a cruise a year away and not one next month?? Makes no sense!

Guess only they will mothball some of the smaller ships or they aren't sure where to run her.

I might have been on the same cruise as you OP -- cancelled on Friday.

It was such a good deal and it hard to let go, especially now since they reduced the perks and increased the costs.

Now to find another 2 NCL cruises before 2022 to use up my CN certificates.

2 hours ago, tomk3212 said:

At this moment DW & I SHOULD HAVE been sitting down to lunch on the Encore somewhere out on the North Atlantic en route to Porta Delgada and other destinations ending in Rome on May 2nd.

Sigh...😕

FWIW to the OP from another random Internet stranger I also believe you did the right thing by canceling (or not making the final payment...same thing effectively).

Good luck on your next cruise booking & as they said in the Hunger Games, 'May the odds be ever in your favor!"

lol 😉

The Encore was supposed to be in Bermuda.    I’m thinking the TA was the Escape?    I had a b2b booked.   

Nobody knows what the “right “ decisions are for others.    I’ve had 4 cruises canceled and an additional I canceled in February taking advantage of the initial FCC offer.    

A lot of uncertainty.    I most always late book which I’ll consider-  but with the massive amounts of FCC’s given I’d expect inflated prices to continue.    If any last minute dumps I expect them very late-  48hrs prior?     I’ve booked multiple cruises in that timeframe but some locations I’ll have to stage ahead.    

So much is Unknown.   

41 minutes ago, xcell said:

I might have been on the same cruise as you OP -- cancelled on Friday.

It was such a good deal and it hard to let go, especially now since they reduced the perks and increased the costs.

Now to find another 2 NCL cruises before 2022 to use up my CN certificates.

I booked a Hawaiian cruise for June of 2022 with my CN certificates. Hopefully that one will work out!!

~Joanne

23 hours ago, joteacher said:

Hi All,

I'm so sad. I canceled my August cruise on the Breakaway today.😥 Final payment was due and I just couldn't take the chance that the cruise wouldn't sail; additionally I didn't want to wait to buy airline tickets if it did go...so I decided in our case, it was best to just cancel until this whole coronavirus is over. My PCC tried to talk me into making final payment because they would give me an additional 20-50% toward another cruise if NCL canceled the sailing, but I just couldn't do it, not with unknown airfare prices.

I guess I'll just look forward to our Hawaiian cruise in June of 2022 unless I see something inbetween!

I hope I did the right thing...but it's done...

~Joanne

You did the right think in my opinion- stay safe. Of course the PCC would talk you into giving them your money 😞 But what if you went on the cruise and ended up getting stuck on the ship.

• Like 1

We cancelled our August Mediterranean cruise last week.  With port stops in Barcelona, Rome, etc., we weren't willing to lock up literally ten grand with no guarantee at all that the cruise (if not cancelled) would make all of the stops advertised.  And then wait months after that for the refunds if even offered.  Sorry, not the cruise industry's fault, but can't do it this year.

I realize how so many are sad about cancelled cruises. NCL cancelled our March cruise and I am just hoping they stay afloat to return our suite money. 

I am waiting to see what they will do with a Canada/NE sailing 5/23. Canadian ports are closed as is Bar Harbor. Bermuda is not an option as they are not allowing ships to dock there.

I just watched 60 Minutes and I saw things no other report has shown. This is one dangerous virus. They are doing mass burials in NY for unclaimed persons who passed as a result of the Covid virus. 

I am a nurse with many years of practical experience in hospital infection control practices. IMHO I do not feel there is enough knowledge based on studies to see how long this virus lives on surfaces; how it is transmitted and how to really disinfect and kill the virus. After 45+ cruises, you know we love sailing. 

I can wait until I know we are safe to sail again.

Feel good that you cancelled and saved your health to sail another day with great joy!

• Like 3

I cancelled my August Western Med cruise today. It broke my heart.  My PCC was a doll though.  I'm still on the hook for my flights.  If the world opens up by then we can do a land vacay or rebook but, in reality, I think we are done for this year at least. I just always feel that we don't have enough time......

• Like 1

I did the same - had a June cruise with final payment due at the end of March, and I cancelled it about a month ago after a lot of agonising. I was devastated, and am still pretty upset about it now in all honesty. It would have been my first cruise with NCL and I'd been really looking forward to some things.

I'd already paid all my flights and hotels for the connection and I'm holding onto those for now. Not too sure why but I suppose if they open the borders again it might be nice to have a flight out and a night in Europe.  They all either have 'cancel for any reason' or 'cancel up to 24 hrs in advance' on them so I can take a few more weeks to decide what I'm really going to do.

I feel for you, I know it's difficult but I think we've both made the right decision.  There will be other cruises in future years once the world's more stable again.

Joteacher,

I also feel your disappointment in losing an adventure opportunity. I was scheduled to leave Friday for beautiful Florence. I was going to follow up a week in Italy with a B2B cruise to Amsterdam. This was to be my retirement cruise/trip. Compounding the disappointment is the knowledge that I am also aggravating my DW with this extended quarantine. She was definitely looking forward to the distraction of traveling to help transition into our next chapter...

I am looking forward to planning and traveling again. Please stay safe until we are all able to venture out again, and try to contribute anyway that you can to the recovery.   

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 7:49 PM, GlamorousGirl said:

I just checked my NCL app and noticed they already canceled my March 2021 cruise in Asia on the Spirit, even though they have not cancelled my May 2020 Europe cruise yet. Cancelling a cruise a year away and not one next month?? Makes no sense!

It makes perfect sense IMHO.

Asia was the hotspot at the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic. By Spring of 2021,will the virus be eradicated in that part of the world? Who knows?

Statistics regarding the effects of the disease released by China are circumspect as to the accuracy of the data. It is in our local news today  that business leaders and some legislature members from Long Island,NY are calling on President Trump and Gov. Cuomo to declare that China has committed an act of terror  concerning how that country handled the Corona virus outbreak. This area of NY has been hit with hundreds of deaths and thousands of cases of illness due to the virus. Who knows what will develop in the following months regarding not only the health status of the world,but also political consequences ?

I,personally,would have no interest in a cruise to Asia. Perhaps NCL is looking at a decreased interest of customers to travel to that part of the world. The company may be considering deploying their ships to other areas that may be preferred by cruising customers. 

Time will tell.

On 4/20/2020 at 5:55 PM, redfantum said:

I cancelled my August Western Med cruise today. It broke my heart.  My PCC was a doll though.  I'm still on the hook for my flights.  If the world opens up by then we can do a land vacay or rebook but, in reality, I think we are done for this year at least. I just always feel that we don't have enough time......

Same here.  We canceled our Aug Med cruise but spent $2K on flights to Barcelona in early February.  Currently, United is only offering travel vouchers for 12 mos from original booking date.  I have no idea if we can fly before Feb 2021..... 

Just to clarify ... NCL made the move to switch sending the Spirit back to Europe instead of Spirit back in February. Spirit was going to Asia from Cape Town on March 22. 

NCL cancelled the Spirit’s Asian cruises up to Dec 2020 in Feb, and then cancelled the rest to March 2021 on March 5. We got the emails on March 6 that our 2 Jan-Feb 2021 b2b Spirit Asian cruises Have been cancelled.

I’m surprised GlamourousGirl “just found out” ... it’s been 2 months. And the Spirit’s new 2020 European itineraries have been on NCL for 2 months, and the 2021 ones appeared a couple of weeks ago.

On 4/18/2020 at 4:34 PM, joteacher said:

Hi All,

I'm so sad. I canceled my August cruise on the Breakaway today.😥 Final payment was due and I just couldn't take the chance that the cruise wouldn't sail; additionally I didn't want to wait to buy airline tickets if it did go...so I decided in our case, it was best to just cancel until this whole coronavirus is over. My PCC tried to talk me into making final payment because they would give me an additional 20-50% toward another cruise if NCL canceled the sailing, but I just couldn't do it, not with unknown airfare prices.

I guess I'll just look forward to our Hawaiian cruise in June of 2022 unless I see something inbetween!

I hope I did the right thing...but it's done...

~Joanne

I so feel your pain also.  Our final payment is 5/7 and I think we are going to cancel also.  I was so excited to book into a family suite with just the two of us... so much room :) Ireland, Scotland, Wales.   But... that is just too much money to take a chance on losing or them holding for so long.  Bad enough my air is booked already.  Again we will get a credit but no cash back 😞

Mae

I too had to make that decision. Had a cruise for end of Nov/Dec out of NY that I had to cancel. Considering I'm working from home until June (so far per the owner of our company), it may be longer with pay cuts as well.

I still have flights that I switched from a May Ireland land trip to Sept. to deal with but I have a feeling we won't be going there either since anyone flying into Ireland had to quarantine for 14 days once there and our trip was to be only 7 days! Hopefully Aer Lingus allows me to get a credit or a refund.

I also have a Princes Australia/NZ cruise booked for March 2021 that is already paid for. We shall see if that goes ahead as well since currently Australia & NZ don't want people to come into the country from overseas as per my BIL who lives there tells me.

I think we'll be lucky to go to the Jersey shore this year for a weekend!