Setting Sail On First Carnival Cruise Scheduled June 27th

Will4Reals

2 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Ditto....

If one person on the elevator coughs, people can wash their hands forever and it won't do a thing.  "They" make a big deal about "hand washing" and it's simple to enforce on a ship.  What's necessary is "social distancing".  That's what that works and that's impossible to do on a mass market cruise ship.

Just to add one more point to this thread  - Now that it has shifted to reasons June 27th cruises may not happen. In the studies that have been done they have found the number one place people have been infected was home and indoors. I think a cruise would qualify as indoors a good portion of our days revolve around the inside. This would mean the chances of spread are that much greater than if people were outside and with people (better with social distancing). 

I hope  I am wrong and I can see the videos of everyone laughing at the me and the naysayers. It will great if cruises will be sailing and people are enjoying this summer - heaven only knows we all need it!

On 4/22/2020 at 9:03 AM, Radiioman46 said:

If the CDC has canceled all cruises to and from the USA until the middle of July, why are these cruise lines opening up their schedules from the end of May through the end of June? Are they just going to ignore the CDC?

No, they have no intention on actually sailing. The reason they open "cruises" is so that they can get money from you (called a deposit) they are welcome to use interest-free, and hopefully avoid bankruptcy.  This is much cheaper money for them than from other sources. When they cancel the cruise, they hope you will take a FCC so they can keep your money longer. 

Anyone if you want to send me money instead, I promise to send it back to you in the fall, no interest of course. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, wareaglefan444 said:

this may not be true, but it is my understanding that CDC has no jurisdiction over cruise ships and can only make recommendations. Now they can close the ports and make it very hard for the cruise industry, which seems to be the case. I really dont understand why the cruise industry is being treated like a red headed step child, if i wanted to, i could board a plane to Europe and fly over seas. 

Because ships have anywhere from 1500-6500 passengers onboard for 3-14 days infecting each other.   An airplane may have 300 passengers and you'll only be on the plane for a few hours.  Some of the islands aren't even allowing international flights to land on their islands.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 12:03 PM, Radiioman46 said:

If the CDC has canceled all cruises to and from the USA until the middle of July, why are these cruise lines opening up their schedules from the end of May through the end of June? Are they just going to ignore the CDC?

They are taking advantage of the plethora of generous people who are willing to give them an internet free loan. 

• Like 2

On 4/21/2020 at 9:26 PM, Will4Reals said:

I don't know about the rest of you but I truly miss cruising! This virus has changed our way of life and those who have loved ones that have been diagnosed or know someone who has lost their life due to this pandemic, all of you are in my continued thoughts and prayers. 

With that being said I am not the least bit worried about setting sail again and have booked the first cruise out of Port Canaveral on June 27th on Carnival Breeze. 

If you are elderly or have preexisting conditions I can completely understand the cause for concern when it comes to cruising! However for everyone else who is overall healthy and no known preexisting medical conditions I hope you don't miss out on things in life moving forward because of fear. 

I told some family members earlier that I booked one of the first cruises out in June and they couldn't believe I could be so reckless. I was shocked and couldn't disagree more! I am an overall healthy 31 year old and I refuse to live my life now or in the future in fear. God as my witness I hope we get this virus under control and a vaccine becomes available. The lives that have been lost is a terrible tragedy but if in the future my life is taken because of this virus I contracted from a cruise ship, I know that I lived my best life to the absolute fullest and my life was taken doing something I have such a strong passion for and love which is cruising. 

I am counting down the days until the end of June and I can hopefully hear the sound of that horn from the ship blaring as we set sail! 

Stay safe my cruise family! 

I'm with you. We are both 71, healthy , and do not need any stupid letter. I made it through mumps, measles, chicken pox, diptheria, the polio age, 4 years in the military, and I'll be danged if we will hide under the bed the rest of our life. Many will not agree but this virus thing was overblown. Come Sept 14 , and it does not get cancelled , we will be on the Dream

• Like 3

On 4/21/2020 at 10:26 PM, Will4Reals said:

. . . With that being said I am not the least bit worried about setting sail again and have booked the first cruise out of Port Canaveral on June 27th on Carnival Breeze . . .

Best wishes with that.  Perhaps Carnival will be the lone wolf with June attempts.  We'll see. 

I agree that it is only in the interest of the cruiselines to get that interest free loan from those willing to book and then wait for a refund or another offer that allows them to keep said interest free loan.

This is multidimensional chess with many factors at play. I know that people are willing to take their chances. I see reports on a regular basis. I live in NY and a popular bar owner also took his chances and cruised and died, along with a co-worker.  Who knows what ports will be open. Even if you don’t get sick, it’s not fun to be stuck on a ship for a month at a time (read about the diamond princess). The cruiselines have a big black eye and no bail out. Every cruise is a potential liability.

I was in a cruise in Cambodia in February and actually spent ten days there in all, along with a few weeks in Vietnam. there were two flights a day landing from China and It was illegal to wear a mask. We didn’t cancel.  I had a ton of insurance. At that point in time, I felt that the state department would help us out. At the very least, I knew that there was excellent  medical care in a Bangkok (although looking back, they may not have taken me as a patient).

I am not a chicken. After having emergency hip surgery in a public hospital in Bhutan without a general anesthetic, and being stuck in a place with no food, water and sheets or nursing care, I still did trips to both Galapagos six months later and , my big leap of faith, Antarctica, the following year,

There is a difference between individual risk and a public health emergency. I also appreciate that if you live in a place where there are few cases, it’s hard to understand the consequences that it has on society as whole.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our cruise scheduled for the 27th is a rescheduling of a previously cancelled cruise. We have had to reschedule 2 cruises. On each of these rescheduled cruises we are getting $600 on board credit plus we are receiving a refund of $1000. So I would say it could be profitable to schedule one of these low priced cruises. If they cancel your cruise they will give you credit on your rescheduled cruise. 

34 minutes ago, shark&minnow said:

Our cruise scheduled for the 27th is a rescheduling of a previously cancelled cruise. We have had to reschedule 2 cruises. On each of these rescheduled cruises we are getting $600 on board credit plus we are receiving a refund of $1000. So I would say it could be profitable to schedule one of these low priced cruises. If they cancel your cruise they will give you credit on your rescheduled cruise. 

You don't know what "they" will do in the future.  "They" can end all of this OBC stuff if you book past a certain date.

2 hours ago, 48traveler said:

I'm with you. We are both 71, healthy , and do not need any stupid letter. I made it through mumps, measles, chicken pox, diptheria, the polio age, 4 years in the military, and I'll be danged if we will hide under the bed the rest of our life. Many will not agree but this virus thing was overblown. Come Sept 14 , and it does not get cancelled , we will be on the Dream

Could not agree more. And great attitude!!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, James4me said:

I don’t get it.  Why are people planning on cruises a month or 2 or even for that matter December cruises?  I hope if you are planning a cruise, let’s say July, that the ports you are going to will even be open.  You need to research the ports you are going to, to know when things are going back to what we once called “normal”.  I don’t think they, the ports, will be and you’ll be stuck on the ship with a $25.00 cruise credit for missing the port stop.  I was just looking at rebooking my May Panorama cruise for 2022, however I’m hearing that this Coronavirus will rear its ugly head again this Winter, thus, rendering all transportation and borders shut down once again.  I hope for those who have booked cruises this year come back and keep us posted.  I know all of us here want to get back to our favorite way of vacationing which is cruising, I surely do.  I’m starting to get depressed about this whole thing as you can possibly tell in how I’m responding.  I’m all over the place with this and how it’s going to affect our future cruises.  I hope you all who are making your plans for this year will be able to sail.  Once again, please keep us who are undecided to book posted.  This is really the only place to get true information rather than fake news sites.  Ok, I’m done.  I need my drink of the day 😚.  

It is understandable to be emotionally all over the place and also to have moments of feeling down in the dumps in regard to the cruise messages you are reading. If we do sail on June 27th I will be sure to comment on our cruise. For us, stopping in ports are an extra and not the main reason for cruising this time so we decided if we stop we stop and if we bypass ports and it is a cruise to nowhere so be it. For me I am just happy to be healthy and that my family and friends are doing well. So many have lost loved ones and did not have an opportunity to say goodbye or be with them. My future cruises no matter if we sail or not have been for me good times and laughter while planning and not really planning while talking on the phone with my family. The cruise that was canceled my daughter rebooked and we started laughing and planning for that one while tossing out some of our plans for the original one. I pray you will have good thoughts and remain safe and well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shark&minnow said:

I am stopping my notifications on this thread as it has become very negative.

Happy future cruising to all!

I am sure if we work together as a group unicorns and mermaids may also appear on the cruises in June! 

Please tell me all the folks who are cruising in 8 weeks how they will keep the crew safe. I am well aware that all the passengers are going to be healthy or bravely  willing to take the chance of dying as that is what many are saying here. Or the people who have had it and are now able to live life as they did before (not medically proven yet) - where is your thoughts for the crew who if heaven forbid we don't tip properly or demand too much of them?? What if a passenger wakes up June 27th and says I feel funny but I am healthy - no issues here I am going and spreads to the staff who 2 weeks later gets sick and maybe dies?? 

We are in the middle of a pandemic (hopefully in the down mode) and if you think people from around the country and your home wont drive to a port near you to satisfy their cruise addiction and maybe infect hundreds with them - I think you would be kidding yourselves. 

Edited by Stick93
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm overall healthy and no known preexisting medical conditions, and I am missing out on things in life now, as we all are, but it is out of understanding of facts and math, not fear.  I look forward to returning to all of the things I enjoy doing, including being around friends and family, but I am not defiant or unrealistic about the problems we face. I'll do my part; just a bit of discipline. Will make the eventual rewards much better.  Things will not return to "normal" so quickly and I'm reluctant to hand any of these cruise lines cash at this time as there will be continued cancellations. In the meantime, I'll do my part to limit exposure to others out of respect, not fear. Be well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

We are in the middle of a pandemic (hopefully in the down mode) and if you think people from around the country and your home wont drive to a port near you to satisfy their cruise addiction and maybe infect hundreds with them - I think you would be kidding yourselves. 

I see nothing to indicate we are in a down mode; without significant increase in availability of rapid testing the best course of action right now is to continue to limit social exposure. I agree with you, many people would not think twice about traveling to a port because they will be "mission focused" to get on a cruise. To my knowledge Carnival, nor any other cruise line, has complied with CDC directives and are still cancelling in waves. 

I don't blame OP for being enthusiastic about cruising and looking forward to a relaxing break, but that reality is in the more distant future than June and I feel bad for people handing money over to Carnival right now. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ano said:

No, they have no intention on actually sailing. The reason they open "cruises" is so that they can get money from you (called a deposit) they are welcome to use interest-free, and hopefully avoid bankruptcy.  This is much cheaper money for them than from other sources. When they cancel the cruise, they hope you will take a FCC so they can keep your money longer. 

Anyone if you want to send me money instead, I promise to send it back to you in the fall, no interest of course. 

No thanks, I rather give my small deposits to carnival.

1 hour ago, Stick93 said:

I am sure if we work together as a group unicorns and mermaids may also appear on the cruises in June! 

Please tell me all the folks who are cruising in 8 weeks how they will keep the crew safe. I am well aware that all the passengers are going to be healthy or bravely  willing to take the chance of dying as that is what many are saying here. Or the people who have had it and are now able to live life as they did before (not medically proven yet) - where is your thoughts for the crew who if heaven forbid we don't tip properly or demand too much of them?? What if a passenger wakes up June 27th and says I feel funny but I am healthy - no issues here I am going and spreads to the staff who 2 weeks later gets sick and maybe dies?? 

Lots of what if's. Hoping my June 27th cruise on Panorama so my family and I can get the heck out of the Boston area and relax.  

1 hour ago, outdoors27 said:

Lots of what if's. Hoping my June 27th cruise on Panorama so my family and I can get the heck out of the Boston area and relax.  

Yes lots of ifs - but biggest if is if cruises will be leaving?? 
Would love to know how confident you are that you will be leaving that day??

Hope you get what you need - your relaxing time.

18 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

Yes lots of ifs - but biggest if is if cruises will be leaving?? 
Would love to know how confident you are that you will be leaving that day??

Hope you get what you need - your relaxing time.

Not very confident, just hopefully.. My crystal ball has been out of order, lol. So we'll see what happens

Just to note, today NCL, Oceania and Regent cancelled all cruises through June 30😞

"Norwegian Cruise Line on Friday canceled six more weeks worth of sailings, as did its two sister brands, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises.

Citing the continuing coronavirus pandemic, the three lines said their vessels wouldn’t sail again until July 1. Until today, the lines only had canceled sailings through mid-May".

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-lines-cancel-into-summer-2/

• Like 1

There will not be any cruising for the rest of this year.  We will be soon entering hurricane season and that In itself will bring on a whole new set of problems.  I’m not going to get deep in this discussion but you all know all we need is 1 bad hurricane and all bets are off.  I don’t think there will be any cruises for 2021 honestly.  It all depends on how we fare through hurricane season and this pandemic, how are they going to keep people distanced from each other.  This is not over yet and I’ll be losing some money on our cruise we were scheduled for on the Panorama, June 1,  but I’d rather lose that than my life or that of my loved ones.  Stay safe everyone, please be smart 🤗

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 7:28 PM, SeaHunt said:

Just to note, today NCL, Oceania and Regent cancelled all cruises through June 30😞

"Norwegian Cruise Line on Friday canceled six more weeks worth of sailings, as did its two sister brands, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises.

Citing the continuing coronavirus pandemic, the three lines said their vessels wouldn’t sail again until July 1. Until today, the lines only had canceled sailings through mid-May".

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-lines-cancel-into-summer-2/

And MSC has signed onto reality, too:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/florida-cruise-guide/os-tr-cru-msc-cruises-canceled-through-july-10-20200429-xydqqpdribgjxgrvtsrwnsjdue-story.html