Princess cancellation refund qestions

bigdaddy930

Hi, our 3/29 cruise has been cancelled by Princess in mid March. We then filled in a form choosing refund option (1 or 2). Right after I filled in the form I received an email "Princess compensation receipt".  I have a couple of questions.

1) Up to now (over a month now) I have not received any refund. Is this normal? Is there anything I need to do or just wait?

2) When I paid the cruise I use gift card, credit card and future cruise credit (from our prior cruise deposit). Am I supposed to receive the refund the way I pay including the future cruise credit?

I hope someone can give me insight. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cruisingthomas said:

We received our FCCs for our March 21st cruise and April 5th cruise, just a few days ago, about 5 weeks after submiting the request.

Thank you for all the response. I select option 2: cash refund + 50% FCC. I just check Princess Captain circle account credit and I do receive FCC (label as "Voyage Goodwill" expired on 5/1/22). I assume this is the 50% cruise fare FCC from option2.

When I do the math ... just the cruise fare (no tax etc) * 50% and the amount is close to the FCC posted.

Does anyone know what happen to the $100 FCC that I use for deposit/purchase the cruise fare? Will Princess reimburse me from the next round of cash refund (I haven't received the cash refund) or will Princess use this for my next cruise? 

I talked to Princess last week about my online refund (still haven't seen it) option that I did the very day they announced they were cancelling cruises way back in March.  I was told that it can take 60 days (others say even more now) to process.  She checked and they still have all my cancelled cruise info (it disappeared from my online page).

I took option 2, and I told her that we paid our cruise/air on one credit card, and everything else on another credit card.  She assured me that how you paid for each is exactly how you will get your refund.  (I can see how this alone would be a logistical nightmare)  

If you paid by gift cards, I'm not sure how that would work.  Best advice is to call.  When I called, the phone was picked up almost immediately, and the woman at Princess was a pleasure to speak with.  

9 hours ago, Cruising Forever! said:

I took option 2, and I told her that we paid our cruise/air on one credit card, and everything else on another credit card.  She assured me that how you paid for each is exactly how you will get your refund.  (I can see how this alone would be a logistical nightmare)  

Due to problems with refunds with Princess with air previously (last fall) - on this cruise, I paid for cruise and shore excursions with one credit card and air with another. In February (before all of this COVID-19 happened), I had a reduction in airfare that was still within 45 days. My TA called Princess to get a refund and they refunded the wrong credit card. When I cancelled (a week before the pause), I had manually cancelled my shore excursions and they did get refunded to the right credit card.

I would not trust that everything goes to the right card if you have used multiple cards.

11 hours ago, bigdaddy930 said:

Thank you for all the response. I select option 2: cash refund + 50% FCC. I just check Princess Captain circle account credit and I do receive FCC (label as "Voyage Goodwill" expired on 5/1/22). I assume this is the 50% cruise fare FCC from option2.

When I do the math ... just the cruise fare (no tax etc) * 50% and the amount is close to the FCC posted.

Does anyone know what happen to the $100 FCC that I use for deposit/purchase the cruise fare? Will Princess reimburse me from the next round of cash refund (I haven't received the cash refund) or will Princess use this for my next cruise? 

I understand the taxes will be credited back to your CC.

Also, the once you made final full payment, the FCC becomes part of the fare, and in your case should be refunded as part of your 100% refund, and not be separated back out as a FCC.

1 hour ago, cruisingthomas said:

I understand the taxes will be credited back to your CC

In some cases. That was the case for mine. Now people are saying they’re putting them in a holding account

5 hours ago, LDVinNC said:

Will Princess speak to you if you booked through a travel agent?  Normally they want you to do everything through the TA.

I called Princess in regards to 2 cruises that we had booked which were canceled by Princess. They told me to contact

my Travel agent.  I call that passing the buck since the travel agent didn't do anything to cause all of these problems.

3 minutes ago, CruisinCouple2010 said:

I called Princess in regards to 2 cruises that we had booked which were canceled by Princess. They told me to contact

my Travel agent.  I call that passing the buck since the travel agent didn't do anything to cause all of these problems.

And they are not telling Travel Agents that much except for 60 days.

18 hours ago, bigdaddy930 said:

You paid for your cruise exactly how I paid for mine and I  also chose option #2 for my compensation.  

In speaking with a very knowledgeable rep down at Princess, I am assured this is how my refund will be processed.  

The refunds in option #2 will go back to the original form of payment:

- the FCD will be returned to your Captain Circle's account 

- the gift card will go back onto your gift card balance (if you failed to keep track of your gift card number(s) and pin(s), they can recreate a new gift card for you 

- any cash you paid will go back onto the credit card you purchased your cruise with

- your FCCs will be split between you and any other passenger(s) in the same cabin, provided there is a cabin mate, under their own captain's circle account (you are correct ... only the cruise fare will be reimbursed in FCCs) 

And yes, it doesn't look as though Princess has returned many clients with cash refunds as of yet.  It hasn't yet been 60 days since the first fleet wide suspension of operations.... so, we will just have to wait a few weeks more.  

PS ... I have a friend that was on the Grand Princess that was quarantined out in the SF bay.  She was refunded her cruise fare rather quickly.  Since then, I don't think anybody is getting their cc refunds with a quick turnaround time.  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

. . . 

PS ... I have a friend that was on the Grand Princess that was quarantined out in the SF bay.  She was refunded her cruise fare rather quickly.  Since then, I don't think anybody is getting their cc refunds with a quick turnaround time.  

I too was on the 2/21 sailing of Grand that ended with a nearly 3 week stay in quarantine (6 days on the ship, two weeks at Travis).  The cruise credit AND refund to my credit card both arrived (ironically) about 60 minutes after we stepped off the bus at Travis.  I'm sure they knew they were going to make a mass cancellation announcement soon and forced these through preemptively.  Everyone I spoke to a Travis had received their refunds while there if not before they even arrived there.

The following morning, Princess cancelled our April 21 departure.  I logged on immediately and made my selection, got the confirmation email too.  Haven't seen either cash or credit from that cruise.  Hopefully sometime in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

You paid for your cruise exactly how I paid for mine and I  also chose option #2 for my compensation.  

In speaking with a very knowledgeable rep down at Princess, I am assured this is how my refund will be processed.  

The refunds in option #2 will go back to the original form of payment:

- the FCD will be returned to your Captain Circle's account 

- the gift card will go back onto your gift card balance (if you failed to keep track of your gift card number(s) and pin(s), they can recreate a new gift card for you 

- any cash you paid will go back onto the credit card you purchased your cruise with

- your FCCs will be split between you and any other passenger(s) in the same cabin, provided there is a cabin mate, under their own captain's circle account (you are correct ... only the cruise fare will be reimbursed in FCCs) 

And yes, it doesn't look as though Princess has returned many clients with cash refunds as of yet.  It hasn't yet been 60 days since the first fleet wide suspension of operations.... so, we will just have to wait a few weeks more.  

I was to have been on the March 7th sailing on the Grand Princess and I, too, received my cruise fare refund quickly except for a $500 gift card and a $200 FCD.  I have a feeling they may have "fallen through the cracks".  What was the number you called? Thank you.

10 hours ago, mbglib said:

I was to have been on the March 7th sailing on the Grand Princess and I, too, received my cruise fare refund quickly except for a $500 gift card and a $200 FCD.  I have a feeling they may have "fallen through the cracks".  What was the number you called? Thank you.

I called down to the number if you used a PVP (Princess Vacation Planner) That I booked the cruise with and left a message.  She had one of her colleagues call me back.  
They may not have gotten to the gift card or FCD on your sailing yet as it seems to be done in different sections but, your sailing was almost a month before mine so maybe it did fall through the cracks.  
Did you keep your original gift card numbers?  You may be able to call in to see if it has a balance now.  You may have already done that, though.  I also called in to ask how the gift cards would be handled and they should be able to create a new gift card for you if you don’t have the old one.  Yours has already been close to the 60 day mark.  You’d think they’d be refunding the compensation that doesn’t require them to shell out any cash first ... at least that is what it seems to be the pattern.  

6 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I called down to the number if you used a PVP (Princess Vacation Planner) That I booked the cruise with and left a message.  She had one of her colleagues call me back.  
They may not have gotten to the gift card or FCD on your sailing yet as it seems to be done in different sections but, your sailing was almost a month before mine so maybe it did fall through the cracks.  
Did you keep your original gift card numbers?  You may be able to call in to see if it has a balance now.  You may have already done that, though.  I also called in to ask how the gift cards would be handled and they should be able to create a new gift card for you if you don’t have the old one.  Yours has already been close to the 60 day mark.  You’d think they’d be refunding the compensation that doesn’t require them to shell out any cash first ... at least that is what it seems to be the pattern.  

Thank you for your reply.  I do have my original gift card and have checked the balance online (way too many times).  I didn't book through a PVP, but one contacted me soon after the cancellation.  She doesn't seem to be able to get any info either.  I am going to give it until 60 days have passed and then try to call again.  Thank you.

• Like 1