When will you feel comfortable going on a cruise again?

cruiseagona

8 minutes ago, Loucat said:

There is a wealth of Internet information on modes of transmission of the Covid 19 virus. Yet, much needs to be studied to validate how the virus can be transmitted.

Cignal satellite tv company said on their website that in order to protect their valued employees they will not be answering the phone.  Anyone hear of covid-19 being transmitted over phone lines?

10 hours ago, mugtech said:

Cignal satellite tv company said on their website that in order to protect their valued employees they will not be answering the phone.  Anyone hear of covid-19 being transmitted over phone lines?

Yes, but only in cases where the phones are not cleaned with disinfectant.....🤣

• Haha 2

I'm ready to go this summer.  My profession is essential so nothing has changed for me.  I have got up and went to work 5 days a week since this started, today might as well be a day in December.

I am not in an at risk group and am comfortable with the risk, especially the one that will be present in two months.

• Like 1

It’s not just the passengers cruising, any cruise company will have a responsibility to their employees, it may start next year with a few days gaps between cruises, for time to clean throughout, disinfect and test the crew.

Who knows, who will let you dock and allow 100s of people onshore?

its all down to the scientists 

1 hour ago, Trimone said:

It’s not just the passengers cruising, any cruise company will have a responsibility to their employees, it may start next year with a few days gaps between cruises, for time to clean throughout, disinfect and test the crew.

Who knows, who will let you dock and allow 100s of people onshore?

its all down to the scientists 

I wish this was true.  If the leaders were looking at numbers and listening to the Scientists, we would have more things open by now.  

• Like 2

I don't expect a successful vaccine in the forseeable future.  Despite years of efforts there are still no vaccines for any of the coronaviruses nor is there one for HIV.  But, there are reasonably effective drug treatments for covid so long as it is treated early in the disease.  The fatality rate is very low. 

I think testing before boarding will be the protocol used for both safe airline and cruise line travel. 

NCL did a great job of controlling the 3 separate covid infections in their fleet.  All were limited to one person on each of the 3 ships.
  • Like 2

Part of the problem with this question is nobody knows what  cruising is going to look like when it does return .  We have done 25 cruises over the years and enjoyed every one  Not so sure   that I'm ready  for what the future cruise will be like ?????

Thus far - 63,000 fatalities officially in the US, as reported (wasn't supposed to hit that milestone until this August ... 3 months ahead of projections) and feds revised upward to 70,000 already, said to reach 130,000 (or higher).  Public health experts & different scientific/medical/math models put the tolls at high as 200,000+ by summer.  

Grim outlook with the preparation - 

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-us-ordered-more-than-100000-body-bags-april-2020-5

2 hours ago, Corliss said:

I don't expect a successful vaccine in the forseeable future.  Despite years of efforts there are still no vaccines for any of the coronaviruses nor is there one for HIV.  But, there are reasonably effective drug treatments for covid so long as it is treated early in the disease.  The fatality rate is very low. 

I think testing before boarding will be the protocol used for both safe airline and cruise line travel. 

NCL did a great job of controlling the 3 separate covid infections in their fleet.  All were limited to one person on each of the 3 ships.

There were vaccines developed for MERS and SARS, but the outbreaks died out before they could be tested.  There are no vaccines for the other Corona viruses because the impact of those are too minor and not worth developing. 

As far as HIV, not exactly easy to develop a vaccine which uses the immune system to provide protection when the disease itself attacks the immune system and uses it to multiply.  A bit of a unique case.

What are the reasonable effective drug treatments you are referring to?  The only one with clinical trial results is remdesivir which is an infusion drug in a hospital setting (something not likely to be given very early) and while it has shown effects they have been along the lines of reducing hospital recovery time from 15 to 11 days and death rate reduction from 11.6% to 8%.

Not exactly what I would call reasonably effective.

It is a step forward in that it shows activity and indicates that the virus can be affected.  But very limited as a therapy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corliss said:

NCL did a great job of limiting information flow.  We do not know how many might have been sick and never tested or how many crew got sick on board.  After all flu like symptoms are not reported only actual test results.  If no test is conducted than no COVID reported. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Thus far - 63,000 fatalities officially in the US, as reported (wasn't supposed to hit that milestone until this August ... 3 months ahead of projections) and feds revised upward to 70,000 already, said to reach 130,000 (or higher).  Public health experts & different scientific/medical/math models put the tolls at high as 200,000+ by summer.  

Grim outlook with the preparation - 

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-us-ordered-more-than-100000-body-bags-april-2020-5

LOL....how can you even bring up projections?  The initial ones called for millions.

This was March 11th...Washington Post

If no action to limit the viral spread were taken, as many as 2.2 million people in the United States could die over the course of the pandemic, according to epidemiologist Neil Ferguson and others at the Imperial College Covid-19 Response Team.

Adopting some mitigation strategies to slow the pandemic — such as isolating those suspected of being infected and social distancing of the elderly — only cuts the death toll in half to 1.1 million, although it would also reduce demand for health services by two-thirds.

Edited by ray98
  • Like 1

American Airlines announced today that passengers must wear face coverings. This requirement follows JetBlue. I guess the other airlines will follow. I can't see the cruise lines not requiring it. So how comfortable will cruisers be walking around all day and sipping cocktails with a mask?

"*New requirement for all customers to wear masks during flight beginning May 11, and recently announced requirements for flight attendants

*Measures to provide sanitizing wipes and face masks for customers on select flights

*Enhanced cleaning procedures to disinfect high-touch points throughout aircraft and increased cleaning at airports"

Edited by IrieBajan54
word

5 minutes ago, ray98 said:

LOL....how can you even bring up projections?  The initial ones called for millions.
... 1.1 million, although it would also reduce demand for health services by two-thirds.

Each time I had to go out & drive by our area's healthcare facilities, I am scanning for those parked trailers with refrigeration units ... not the number of ambulances (private & out-of-state ones contracted by FEMA) parked in various staging areas for an indication of how things are going.  Behind these sad & tragic numbers are faces, loved ones & griefing families, friends in shock and overwhelmed frontline personnel.  We are doing to need the folks that this isn't about "a great success story" even if and when the death toll stop short of coming anywhere near the 1/4 million marks in the US.

Unlike the typical seasonal flu or norovirus, which "some" CC'er had personal experiences with and recovered from - Covid-19 is far more deadly, not just damaging the lungs and blood vessels, triggering cardiac arrest, multi-organ failure, including kidney damages ... including children with otherwise normal medical history.  

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2020/05/01/covid-19-unexpected-impact-on-the-kidneys-caused-a-new-shortage-at-nyc-hospitals

More cautionary tales about virus being shredded for up to 5+ weeks after the onset https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/929519

And, we have no tallies on PTSD and the mental trauma.  Talk about "comfort zones" LOL (tongue in cheek).  How are things going in Georgia today, more specifically, I see a few flashes & bells going off in the metro Atlanta area, where CDC is headquartered - was down there myself 10+ years ago & met some folks from Morehead School of Medicine on pandemic preparedness ... 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Corliss said:

That'd be a huge waste of time and resources. Tests are expensive and not so fast plus they are not 100% reliable.

And ok imagine all are tested and no cases, nothing guarantees that you dont catch it on any port.

Zero point

i feel comfortable cruising by the end of this month.  however for some reason they want to delay starting up again. what i dont feel comfortable with is ncl sorting out all the fcc and the bonus in the right way. 

1 hour ago, ray98 said:

This was March 11th...Washington Post

If no action to limit the viral spread were taken, as many as 2.2 million people in the United States could die over the course of the pandemic, according to epidemiologist Neil Ferguson and others at the Imperial College Covid-19 Response Team.

Adopting some mitigation strategies to slow the pandemic — such as isolating those suspected of being infected and social distancing of the elderly — only cuts the death toll in half to 1.1 million, although it would also reduce demand for health services by two-thirds.

Last I checked the US wasted months and then decided to take action, oops it was done at the State level, never any clear direction from the Federal, BUT ACTION WAS TAKEN so we NEVER overwhelmed the medical systems as much as was in Wuhan and Italy, we were luck someone at State level took leadership!

So sad we had to have any deaths and we couldn't have had a action plan like So Korea or Taiwan!

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, npcl said:

What are the reasonable effective drug treatments you are referring to?  The only one with clinical trial results is remdesivir which is an infusion drug in a hospital setting (something not likely to be given very early) and while it has shown effects they have been along the lines of reducing hospital recovery time from 15 to 11 days and death rate reduction from 11.6% to 8%.

Not exactly what I would call reasonably effective.

It is a step forward in that it shows activity and indicates that the virus can be affected.  But very limited as a therapy.

https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Abstract_Raoult_EarlyTrtCovid19_09042020_vD1v.pdf

https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Table_final_website_IHU_09_04_2020.pdf

Current results:

https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/covid-19/

I think one of the biggest tragedies about this pandemic is that thousand of the people who have died were denied the use of an effective  drug early in the disease process because it has not yet been tested in large randomized double blind studies for this indication. 

Hydroxychloroquine/Zpac is the most widely used therapeutic for covid globally. 

https://public-cdn.sermo.com/covid19/72/2314/1447ce/47ce8d4abd94b5da7124cb64fe/wave-2-sermo-covid-19-global-analysis.pdf

Edited by Corliss
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, npcl said:

NCL did a great job of limiting information flow.  We do not know how many might have been sick and never tested or how many crew got sick on board.  After all flu like symptoms are not reported only actual test results.  If no test is conducted than no COVID reported. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cruise-ships-had-confirmed-cases-163928055.html

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Comi.uy said:

That'd be a huge waste of time and resources. Tests are expensive and not so fast plus they are not 100% reliable.

And ok imagine all are tested and no cases, nothing guarantees that you dont catch it on any port.

Zero point

Abbott Labs is developing new coronavirus test for mass screening as US tries to reopen the economy

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/abbott-abt-earnings-q1-2020.html

1 hour ago, Corliss said:

https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Abstract_Raoult_EarlyTrtCovid19_09042020_vD1v.pdf

https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Table_final_website_IHU_09_04_2020.pdf

Current results:

https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/covid-19/

I think one of the biggest tragedies about this pandemic is that thousand of the people who have died were denied the use of an effective  drug early in the disease process because it has not yet been tested in large randomized double blind studies for this indication. 

Hydroxychloroquine/Zpac is the most widely used therapeutic for covid globally. 

https://public-cdn.sermo.com/covid19/72/2314/1447ce/47ce8d4abd94b5da7124cb64fe/wave-2-sermo-covid-19-global-analysis.pdf

Get up to speed even the president has quit talking about hydroxychloroquine, Remdesivir is the new great hope.

• Like 1

Take your own advice...."Get up to speed."  If you had bothered to read the links I provided you would see the Hydroxychloroquine/ZPack is the global preferred therapy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, vpearlkc said:

Get up to speed even the president has quit talking about hydroxychloroquine, Remdesivir is the new great hope.

Are you sure about that, last I heard it was disinfectant by injection?

• Like 2