Will There Be Any Cruising At All In 2020?

vpearlkc

7 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

The analysis done in those reports show that the deaths attributed to Covid19 are not wrongly associated and those deaths would have occurred anyway. It shows if anything Covid19 deaths are being underreported, not over reported. I wish these kinds of analysis were being more widely reported. It gives some context to the daily # of deaths. 

The only way we will know whats really happening with this mess is to get cheap universal testing and I don't see that happening any time soon. We may be well over the 100,000 mark right now and don't know.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vpearlkc said:

The only way we will know whats really happening with this mess is to get cheap universal testing and I don't see that happening any time soon. We may be well over the 100,000 mark right now and don't know.

I’m not sure I understand how universal testing will help.  Can you explain?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wizpharm2 said:

Every country that has successfully kept the virus from going out of control has emphasized testing and contact tracing.

Testing of infected persons help determine quarantine measures.

Antibody testing helps determine 1) how widespread the disease really is 2) what its real fatality rate is 3) if we're anywhere near 'herd immunity'.

More information is always better. Anyone who says otherwise usually has an agenda. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Trimone said:

Nothing is going to happen until spring/summer 2021 

Been saying that since March 1st.

i think you are just guessing,  the cruise industry will fold if it took that long to restart. 

2 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

We are all just guessing, including you, about a lot more than just chapter 7/11 or restart dates. 

this is true, many are confused that i said they will restart at a certain date, never said that. no one really knows.  all i said was it would happen sooner than the not till 2021 crowd thinks. likely this summer but much smaller scale. few ships ,few ports and perhaps limited pax on board. 

Edited by seaman11

I just came home from Grocery Store...

I have young adults who EAT alot.  My College son was sent home to remote learn and a 19 year old who lost job in Trades.  And his night classes cancelled. ..

Food at Grocery Store Limits =:
2 Pork
2 Beef
2 Chicken

Follow the lines in aisles which have been marked. YAY! 

Lots of Americans are trying to put food on table. Maybe your world is different than mine.  Priorities.

I still have no sympathy for those who insist on cruising "regardless" of unknown guidelines which needs to be presented to everyone and in new bookings.

The food chain is collapsing, yet y'all want to Cruise with exorbitant amount of food being fed to you, yet I am being limited to what I can purchase for my family? Huh? 

When I am limited to how much food I can buy for my family, I simply have to dismiss comments from people who have no clue/self absorbed and are adamant about cruising.

JMO.  Be Safe 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wizpharm2 said:

1 hour ago, AdoraBelle said:

Every country that has successfully kept the virus from going out of control has emphasized testing and contact tracing.

Testing of infected persons help determine quarantine measures.

Antibody testing helps determine 1) how widespread the disease really is 2) what its real fatality rate is 3) if we're anywhere near 'herd immunity'.

More information is always better. Anyone who says otherwise usually has an agenda. 

Sorry Wizpharm2 I was just out picking up wonderful pizza from a place I want to support that may or may not make it through this. I guess I don't have to explain because AdoraaBelle did a far better job of explaining than I could have.

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

i think you are just guessing,  the cruise industry will fold if it took that long to restart. 

I don't think the cruise industry will fold no matter what happens. Maybe some of the current operators will be gone but the ships will still be there for someone to pick up the pieces. What else can a cruise ship do but cruise?

1 hour ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

I just came home from Grocery Store...

I have young adults who EAT alot.  My College son was sent home to remote learn and a 19 year old who lost job in Trades.  And his night classes cancelled. ..

Food at Grocery Store Limits =:
2 Pork
2 Beef
2 Chicken

Follow the lines in aisles which have been marked. YAY! 

Lots of Americans are trying to put food on table. Maybe your world is different than mine.  Priorities.

I still have no sympathy for those who insist on cruising "regardless" of unknown guidelines which needs to be presented to everyone and in new bookings.

The food chain is collapsing, yet y'all want to Cruise with exorbitant amount of food being fed to you, yet I am being limited to what I can purchase for my family? Huh? 

When I am limited to how much food I can buy for my family, I simply have to dismiss comments from people who have no clue/self absorbed and are adamant about cruising.

JMO.  Be Safe 🙂

your 19 year old should get unemployment plus 

$600 a week fed add on, id look into that.  maybe even snap.  some of us are luckier than others.   i know and im grateful i haven not only not lost work but increased it, since i have a food delivery business. its picked up and i deliver catering orders to hospitals. 

Edited by seaman11

This is potentially good news - possibility of a test that identifies carriers before they become infectious - it could be particularly good news for cruiselines if they could technically test passengers on boarding at a much safer level than just testing them at the moment...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/01/us-germ-warfare-lab-creates-test-for-pre-infectious-covid-19-carriers?CMP=twt_gu&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium#Echobox=1588345975

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, vpearlkc said:

I don't think the cruise industry will fold no matter what happens. Maybe some of the current operators will be gone but the ships will still be there for someone to pick up the pieces. What else can a cruise ship do but cruise?

Troopships for the coming war?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

The food chain isn’t collapsing, meatpacking plants have just had a lot of disease spread due to terrible working conditions. They’ll have to improve that. Then they’ll reopen. 

I am starting to really wonder how NCL is going to recover.

Even after contracting Covid-19 on the Bliss I still felt that I would cruise with NCL again at some point (I actually have four future cruises booked), but with the death of the Gem doctor and how they are handling that has shaken my confidence. Their entire management of this pandemic has been disappointing. 🙁

• Like 2

20 hours ago, vpearlkc said:

Hospital ships?

And why do we think new owners could succeed if the current ones can't?

I've always thought they could sail from Miami to Stirrup Cay and dock for 3 nights, then return to Miami.  Maybe employ no locals, just ships crew. No foreign ports to deal with (except Bahamas).  Better than no cruise at all, and at least NCL would be making some money.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, latserrof said:

Hospital ships?

And why do we think new owners could succeed if the current ones can't?

different business model, not as many ships, little to no debt with the potential new company, once there was this place called the revel it cost over 2 billion to build, it never worked out went bankrupt in the first year aprox, someone finally bought it for 97 million aprox.  So if NCL goes belly up and new investors can buy the ships for 5 cents on the dollar, well then they dont have to charge as much to make a profit.  Overhead would be much lower.

30 minutes ago, disneykins said:

I've always thought they could sail from Miami to Stirrup Cay and dock for 3 nights, then return to Miami.  Maybe employ no locals, just ships crew. No foreign ports to deal with (except Bahamas).  Better than no cruise at all, and at least NCL would be making some money.

Actually it would be one of the better cruises, most of these ports in the Caribbean are not very good, the private islands are great and virtually no safety issues on the private islands 

Edited by Newleno
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, disneykins said:

We have a timeshare in Puerto Vallarta that we go to about every other year and our unit is probably bigger than anything but the Garden Villa which is on some NCL ships. A week costs us a little over $600 or $300 per person in cruise pricing. It's just an elevator ride down to the beach, a nice. pool, hot tub and a nice restaurant with fresh seafood, something never available on a cruise ship. It is a 5 or 10 minute cab ride to a wide variety of great international restaurants.

Don't get me wrong, We love to cruise and have one booked right now that we sadly will have to cancel but would never consider a 7 day to cruise nowhere or a five day cruise to a little spit of land with an over crowded beach. 

Cruising to me is about spending a few days doing activities in different ports of call during the day and having fun evenings aboard ship eating drinking and being entertained. If we can't do that what I described in the first paragraph is far preferable for us 

• Like 1

I am just "reporting" from what I see in my small space in this universe in the State of NJ.

I live in a small, waterfront community in southern NJ.  Multiple residences around me are "summer homes".  Yes, our state is divided to include Northern, Central, Southern.  Of course the "northern" section was hit hard/first since the majority commute to NYC for jobs. Then Central NJ was hit.  Now Southern NJ.  Point?

Southern NJ Supermarkets had food limitations 7 weeks ago.  Example:  
Rice: 2 per
Eggs: 2 per
Pasta: 2 per
Milk: 2 per

The list goes on...

Forget trying to get TP or any kind of paper product.  Forget cleaners...shelves have been empty for weeks.  Produce was a crap shoot.

If you purchased more than what was authorized, they literally confiscated your food at check-out.  They did confiscate my food. I confess.  I had lipstick in my pocket and slapped it on should they require a mugshot.  A food criminal.  Good grief and LOL!

This is/was a glorious weekend!  Spectacular weather!  Yet Out-of-State people flocked to their summer homes and uncovered their boats/washed/prepped in preparation to launch their boats on the beautiful Barnegat Bay and into the Atlantic...

Governor urged residence to remain in their "primary residence", but...

Now I have to compete with these extra "foreigners" for food in my Supermarket which has been hideously under-stocked in prior weeks and which extremely reduces my chances at getting food for my family and has been a challenge.  Again, I am just "reporting" from what I see in my small space in this universe.  Maybe your "world" is different and are not affected by these food supply chain issues.

I can't protect my kids from everything, but these are the kids of the future.  They are scratching their heads.  Keep inspiring, hope for the best.  

Life has to go on, and I hope this crisis will build character to people who feel cruising is more important to food chain/remote learning/essential workers.

Simply my observation and my experience in my small piece of the world here in "South Jersey". 

I also want to cruise, but not until I feel confident my Kids will be safe/with food/back in College/Night classes/being educated for our/your future.

Hang tight everyone.  Be safe.  JMO!

Stay well 🙂

On 5/1/2020 at 5:20 PM, onetimearoundtheworld said:

Good time to realise that there are other ways to fuel your body and be healthy than eating tons of animal products.

Not vegan.  Who are you to judge my diet and dismiss the food chain issues?

Relax...

• Like 3