The Future of Luxury Cruising (from a Regent-lover's point of view)

Disturbing, to me, story from the Miami Herald.  If even partially true, the cruise lines are not doing themselves any favors whatsoever.  Actually, I have stronger words but I'm pretty upset right now.  And it's a story from the 'home town' newspaper of so many cruise lines.  

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article242380421.html

7 minutes ago, greykitty said:

Disturbing, to me, story from the Miami Herald.  If even partially true, the cruise lines are not doing themselves any favors whatsoever.  Actually, I have stronger words but I'm pretty upset right now.  And it's a story from the 'home town' newspaper of so many cruise lines.  

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article242380421.html

Disgraceful, if true.

• Like 1

In our small city, many stores and other facilities (of the few that are of a type allowed to be open) have management dictated policies for distancing. These are not set by the state or city. For example, a liquor store requires customers to wear a covering over their nose and mouth to enter. It has established an entrance and an exit for use in separate doors and has put lines on the floor where customers wait to check out. It works, but customers are in that store for only a short time. Wearing a face mask becomes an irritant if worn too long, such as the duration of a cruise. 

Distancing requirements can come from two different sources. The first is governmental regulations from the many countries where the cruise line wishes to dock. We have no clue what those will be. The second source consists of the health and safety requirements of the guests and passengers. If a prospective guest feels the cruise is a health risk, he or she will just not book it! Here, I predict Regent and the like will have an advantage, because they are already rather uncrowded. And being in a crowd is the biggest risk. So to satisfy customer base Regent and lines like it may only need to make some adjustments in seating in restaurants and lounges, and perhaps some changes  in excursion transportation. And I predict that conditions on Regent will also pass muster under any government regulations that may be imposed, without major modifications.

i predict that the mass market ships (especially the mega ships) will not get off so easy. Whether by regulation or by market forces, I predict they will be required to greatly increase their space/passenger ratio. This would require major modification of  ship’s interiors, and that won’t be cheap!  Whether it is Covid 19 or any other disease concern, the kind of crowding that those mass market ships impose on passengers just isn’t healthy.

From a personal standpoint, we are very concerned about this pandemic and are taking precautions to the max. Yet, we would gladly board a Regent ship tomorrow with no changes. On the other hand, we would not board a mass market mega ship, pandemic or not, if we were paid a huge sum to do so.

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Some people sleep with C-pap units so it is not fantasy to assume that crew members could do the same thing but with masks.

It is a fantasy.  I hasten to point out there is a great deal of difference between a mask and CPAP.  CPAP stands for Constant Positive Airway Pressure.  A CPAP device is constantly pushing air into the user's airway.  A mask does no such thing.  If anything a mask will restrict airflow into a user's airway. 

• Like 1

True - as I understood it, CLIA and its cruise lines had a set amount of time to proffer plans to the CDC for review.  And, for all I know they have and it's just a matter of tweaking.  

Again, as well as concern about health and safety of passengers, I would hope any cruise line management would put the health and safety of its employees at the top of their concerns, even beyond the strictest governmental mandate.  Even if it means really redesigning crew quarters, no matter the expense.  Not only good corporate stewardship to me, but better logistics in the long term.

Does anyone know what the CDC will require of the ship lines for cruising to begin again?
I believe that Regent will provide  proper safety for the guests and crew on our future cruises.

All the gloom and doom regarding the protection of their guests is so foolish. Does anyone believe that, in order to sail again, every effort will not be made to protect us?That means they also must protect the crew so the guests don’t become infected. 
Everyone was totally caught off guard by this virus. 
My concern is disembarking in any ports where the virus might be picked up, by either the guests and/or crew.
That’s why I would like to begin with cruises to nowhere, until a vaccine or medications are really effective to prevent, treat and cure this virus. And, I have faith this will happen.

sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

50 minutes ago, toseaornottosea said:

It is a fantasy.  I hasten to point out there is a great deal of difference between a mask and CPAP.  CPAP stands for Constant Positive Airway Pressure.  A CPAP device is constantly pushing air into the user's airway.  A mask does no such thing.  If anything a mask will restrict airflow into a user's airway. 

I was speaking only to the uncomfortability of both items.  

It is puzzling that many of us were raised in an environment where we followed the rules.  We had the same constitution and yes - we did see protests and marches but none of them were about anything that was life threatening.  However, many of us raised our children completely differently and their children learned that the rules were not meant for them (this is a generality).  Children are now raised so that no one's feelings are hurt (thinking about schools).  What I have seen in California is young people thinking that they can do what they want (shame on us for encouraging this behavior).  Today, when my daughter told me that the N95 masks that I sent her were uncomfortable, I simply told her that she did not have to wear them but was putting herself and others in risk of death if she went out without them.  She wore it and called me as she was walking to the market.  She understands the repercussions of not wearing a mask.  Her children, on the other hand, are having a difficult time following rules (they are adults).  

greykitty - Regent does put the health and welfare of their crew and guests above everything else.  I wish that you had already sailed on Regent so that you would understand their procedures and protocols.  I know that you are trying to learn from reading the Regent board but, in this case, it is likely that you will not learn any factual information that you will believe.  

In terms of the CDC, they should be working directly with SOLAS and CLIA rather than cruise lines.  They understand what cruise lines can or cannot do.  Dealing with cruise lines directly makes no sense.   If the CDC acts as they have recently ("masks are not necessary" and now we should all wear masks for example).  They touted the new treatment for Covid-19 (a good thing but only for those in hospitals - in serious condition - an intravenous treatment - that may shorten the illness by 4 days). I'm not putting it down - it is saving lives but is not the "fix" for this virus.  Today it is predicted that there will be a vaccine available in the U.S. by the end of the year.  If I could believe it, I would be thrilled (as I am with the possibility that England and/or Germany will have a virus by the end of the year).  

I fear that the opening of half of the U.S. tomorrow will only serve to cause more cases and more deaths.  This could be the fatal blow to human beings, the airlines and the cruise industry as none of these states have attained the numbers that are required to reopen stores and restaurants.  For those of us that want to cruise, the actions of some governors might make it impossible.

P.S.  greykitty - I am glad to hear that CLIA is giving input.  However, for some cruise lines (those with 2,000-6000 passengers, it is not a matter of tweaking but a matter of redoing the cabins, public areas and restaurants.  Unlike luxury cruise lines, they are almost on top of each other ...... social distancing would be impossible in some areas unless they redesign their many, many ships (and yes - this includes NCL - a sister mainstream cruise line that we sailed on for a christening..... they had "only" 2,000 passengers onboard - they hold 4,000 plus crew and it was still very crowded.)

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Haha 1

It would certainly be gratifying to see the interest, time, effort and expense put into the design and fittings of the Splendor, let's say,  also put into staff living arrangements.  To me, that would say a lot about Regent's (and NCLH's) management philosophy.  

I will admit that even the suggestion of valued staff being assigned such tight quarters in the future that they'd have to wear masks while sleeping, as well as during the work shifts, really gave me a bit of the willies.  

22 minutes ago, greykitty said:

It would certainly be gratifying to see the interest, time, effort and expense put into the design and fittings of the Splendor, let's say,  also put into staff living arrangements.  To me, that would say a lot about Regent's (and NCLH's) management philosophy.  

I will admit that even the suggestion of valued staff being assigned such tight quarters in the future that they'd have to wear masks while sleeping, as well as during the work shifts, really gave me a bit of the willies.  

A lot of people are reacting that way to wearing masks.  The reality is that it saves lives.  There are so many people that live in closer quarters than on Regent.

I will ask a friend that is a Regent officer about the sleeping quarters on Regent ships and how they managed to keep them virus-free when other cruise ships were having so many cases.  Will post here when I hear back.

• Haha 1

The key to a virus free ship is not letting it on in the first place...and that has had a lot to do with luck over the past few months. Going forward it will be different. I suspect that the extra-curricular activities below deck don't fit in with social distancing rules. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

The key to a virus free ship is not letting it on in the first place...and that has had a lot to do with luck over the past few months. Going forward it will be different. I suspect that the extra-curricular activities below deck don't fit in with social distancing rules. 

My thoughts, too.   IMHO - To be believable any explanation from Regent has to include the word 'luck'.  In a Miami Herald article,  it was reported that 57 ships across a number of cruise lines had cases, out of a total of 259 ships. So not every ship was impacted. Regent may have been taking precautions (screening, denying boarding etc) , but it would have taken one asymptomatic cruiser to board and potentially spread the virus. Regent might be able to say what they did to help minimize spread if there was someone with the virus on board. But in part, they were lucky.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

A lot of people are reacting that way to wearing masks.  The reality is that it saves lives.

That's not absolutely been proven, not in all cases outside of the obvious applications in medical treatment.

Here in Ontario nowhere are masks absolutely mandated by the public, as they are in some other jurisdictions.  And let's face it, most masks at this point are homemade and of varied efficacy.  Also the protocols around the handling and cleaning/reuse of masks for the genpop is also very uneven.

Yes, masks can be of some help to spread the virus, probably.  With all the above provisos considered, but they are in no way a panacea nor do they replace social distancing (or physical distancing as we call it here now).  Which means they probably wouldn't help in a shared crew cabin.

That last point is important, the use of a mask in public DOES NOT REPLACE physical distancing.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, greykitty said:

Since you have not been on Splendor nor seen the crew living quarters, which you describe as tight, what recommendations would you offer?

If it gives you the”willies”, I suggest you should try a different cruise line. 

Remember, whether luck or careful maintenance, no cases of the virus were reported on any Regent ship. That’s gives me lots of confidence in them!

sheila 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Since you have not been on Splendor nor seen the crew living quarters, which you describe as tight, what recommendations would you offer?

If it gives you the”willies”, I suggest you should try a different cruise line. 

Remember, whether luck or careful maintenance, no cases of the virus were reported on any Regent ship. That’s gives me lots of confidence in them!

sheila 

In prior posts on this forum, I believe I asked whether it's true that crew are assigned to doubles or tighter quarters.  To date, I don't think anyone has provided an absolute answer.  To be honest, in all my reading on the various line forums, no one has said any cruise line supplies crew with, what would you say, roomy quarters.   Even on luxury lines which provide some really stupendous passenger spaces.  Be happy to hear how crew space is designed and allocated

One poster did mention that perhaps crew would have to wear masks while they were sleeping, which leads me as a reader to believe we're talking at least tight doubles.  And that suggestion gave me the willies - asking crew, that seem to be described as family, to sleep in masks after a full work day in masks.  Wouldn't that seem upsetting to anyone?

I do suspect that going forward some sort of redesign or reassignment of crew quarters will take place, and I've asked if experienced cruisers feel that might cut into either passenger or public space.  Same thing with the no doubt enlarged, enhanced medical space that probably is to come.    I do think at least one poster provided their thoughts on this.

Edited by greykitty
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, greykitty said:

In prior posts on this forum, I believe I asked whether it's true that crew are assigned to doubles or tighter quarters.  To date, I don't think anyone has provided an absolute answer.  To be honest, in all my reading on the various line forums, no one has said any cruise line supplies crew with, what would you say, roomy quarters.   Even on luxury lines which provide some really stupendous passenger spaces.  Be happy to hear how crew space is designed and allocated

One poster did mention that perhaps crew would have to wear masks while they were sleeping, which leads me as a reader to believe we're talking at least tight doubles.  And that suggestion gave me the willies - asking crew, that seem to be described as family, to sleep in masks after a full work day in masks.  Wouldn't that seem upsetting to anyone?

I do suspect that going forward some sort of redesign or reassignment of crew quarters will take place, and I've asked if experienced cruisers feel that might cut into either passenger or public space.  Same thing with the no doubt enlarged, enhanced medical space that probably is to come.    I do think at least one poster provided their thoughts on this.

I did ask an officer from one of the ships and he was not aware of what Regent will be doing in terms of the crew.  I have seen the crew quarters on Voyager and while tight, they are likely not nearly as tight as on non-luxury ships.  There were both single and double cabins.  I think that you would need to ask a crew member what the size and layout of their cabins are (and this varies by ship).   If the ships are running less than full, it would be nice if one lounge was made available for crew members only. This would give them a lot of space to relax, have a drink (whether it be alcohol of simply a cold beverage) while keeping their distance.

The post about wearing masks in the cabins was mine - definitely not a great idea but better than being out of work.  I did not recommend that the crew wear masks all day - only during food service (I also recommended that passengers wear masks IF - and that is a big IF, Regent can continue to have a buffet in La Veranda and the Coffee Connection as they are very close to the food - even when being served by crew members).  If they are able to keep their distance the rest of the time, they should be fine.  Remember that a good portion of the crew work in areas that we do not see (laundry, engine room, etc.).   Someone suggested that crew members could take some of the passenger suites (which they have been doing since passengers departed the ship).  The Explorer has over 500 crew members so I don't see how that would work when passengers are onboard (even if Regent sails with a lesser capacity).

My mask recommendations are really about keeping each other safe when it is necessary to be in close proximity to each other.  When I see someone in a grocery store not wearing a mask while the grocery person checking you out is wearing one, it is upsetting.  They care about us but some of us do not care about them (and this has caused deaths of these hard-working individuals).  

Like I said, I'm not sure if you could get a definitive response about crew quarters.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, greykitty said:

Everything you mention is purely hypothetical!

Those cruisers who have sailed on Explorer, which is almost the same as Splendor, understand the ships and and little redesign is necessary for our safety!

sheila

• Haha 1

Of course crew members share quarters, even on Regent ships. Whoever says otherwise should perhaps have a conversation with the crew sometime. It is probably only the officers who have individual cabins. I am also sure that many have to share their cabin with more than one roommate.

1 minute ago, BBWC said:

Of course crew members share quarters, even on Regent ships. Whoever says otherwise should perhaps have a conversation with the crew sometime. It is probably only the officers who have individual cabins. I am also sure that many have to share their cabin with more than one roommate.

Actually, officers have passenger suites (speaking of Captain, Staff Captain, General Manager and Cruise Director).  The Captain and Staff Captain have suites next to the bridge (yes - this is a fact).  I have spoken to crew members that have single suites - not sure how they are delegated - likely to the managers of the different departments).  As mentioned, I have seen crew cabins on Voyager (when they gave tours in the old days ...... some of the crew areas have been made larger since I viewed them (this is also a fact).  

Like you, when I don't know for sure I use the words "likely", "probably".  It is helpful to everyone if we share what we know as a fact vs. what we think the situation may be.  As stated, I do not know how the single cabins are delegated but the other information is factual.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I did ask an officer from one of the ships and he was not aware of what Regent will be doing in terms of the crew.  I have seen the crew quarters on Voyager and while tight, they are likely not nearly as tight as on non-luxury ships.  There were both single and double cabins.  I think that you would need to ask a crew member what the size and layout of their cabins are (and this varies by ship).   If the ships are running less than full, it would be nice if one lounge was made available for crew members only. This would give them a lot of space to relax, have a drink (whether it be alcohol of simply a cold beverage) while keeping their distance.

The post about wearing masks in the cabins was mine - definitely not a great idea but better than being out of work.  I did not recommend that the crew wear masks all day - only during food service (I also recommended that passengers wear masks IF - and that is a big IF, Regent can continue to have a buffet in La Veranda and the Coffee Connection as they are very close to the food - even when being served by crew members).  If they are able to keep their distance the rest of the time, they should be fine.  Remember that a good portion of the crew work in areas that we do not see (laundry, engine room, etc.).   Someone suggested that crew members could take some of the passenger suites (which they have been doing since passengers departed the ship).  The Explorer has over 500 crew members so I don't see how that would work when passengers are onboard (even if Regent sails with a lesser capacity).

My mask recommendations are really about keeping each other safe when it is necessary to be in close proximity to each other.  When I see someone in a grocery store not wearing a mask while the grocery person checking you out is wearing one, it is upsetting.  They care about us but some of us do not care about them (and this has caused deaths of these hard-working individuals).  

Like I said, I'm not sure if you could get a definitive response about crew quarters.

I agree, the mask idea was worth tossing out there, but I also agree it'd be very hard to implement.  I think most of us now have some experience of wearing masks and I bet few of us feel any of the masks are super-comfy.  God bless those front line people who are basically living in masks.

And I totally agree that it seems just not right for someone 'working for me', if you would, like a grocer or pharmacist or the carry out restaurant personnel, or ship's crew, to wear a mask, and I do not return the effort to keep them safe.  

Thank you for checking on how Regent in particular might approach crew living space.  It's not an easy, or dare I say, inexpensive, problem to look at, but so many posters have said how well Regent cares for its employees.  I guess I was thinking they'd be setting best practices not only for NCLH, but perhaps the rest of the lines.  Sounds like it may be a matter under consideration  So many parameters for all the cruise lines to hit before the first one sets 'sail' again.

And, from a more selfish point of view, a super healthy crew goes a long way to keeping the passengers in a healthy state as well.  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Everything you mention is purely hypothetical!

Those cruisers who have sailed on Explorer, which is almost the same as Splendor, understand the ships and and little redesign is necessary for our safety!

sheila

To be honest, is redesign perhaps needed for crew safety?  And, of course, passenger safety depends on crew safety - to my mind, at least.

From posts offered generously by seasoned Regent cruisers, sounds like no one, other than Regent personnel themselves, know exactly how space is assigned, or if there may be future changes in view of what we're learning daily about transmissible diseases.  

Wouldn't that be a great silver lining if responding to COVID-19 creates a much healthier environment for every soul on every passenger ship?  Who knows, maybe even the much-mentioned 'cruise cough or crud' might dissipate a bit?

• Haha 1

I'm sure even some of the entertainers share cabins.  I know that they do on Carnival ships because I have a friend who's been doing it. Not sure about Regent, but I can guarantee that the stewards and stewardess, the kitchen staff, and wait staff all share cabins.

Yes of course, managers and senior officers don't.  I'm betting that middle adminstration probably do as well, although I'm betting their cabins are bigger.

39 minutes ago, BBWC said:

Truer words have never been spoken....;)

32 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Actually, officers have passenger suites (speaking of Captain, Staff Captain, General Manager and Cruise Director).  The Captain and Staff Captain have suites next to the bridge (yes - this is a fact).  I have spoken to crew members that have single suites - not sure how they are delegated - likely to the managers of the different departments).  As mentioned, I have seen crew cabins on Voyager (when they gave tours in the old days ...... some of the crew areas have been made larger since I viewed them (this is also a fact).  

Like you, when I don't know for sure I use the words "likely", "probably".  It is helpful to everyone if we share what we know as a fact vs. what we think the situation may be.  As stated, I do not know how the single cabins are delegated but the other information is factual.

The four 4 stripers (Captain, Staff, GM and Engineer) are usually just off the bridge. The captain's cabins I have been in are basically 2 standard cabins combined yielding a living room and a bedroom.