Single Supplement

So we were talking last night...

When cruising resumes, assuming the ships will not sail at 100% capacity, how does RCI still justify charging singles 200% of the going rate. Past reasoning was that there is one less person who would be spending money on the ship as there is one person in the cabin instead of two. Now it would seem to not matter. Since there will be empty cabins why should it matter if an occupied cabin has one or two people in it? 

And why does a solo pay 200% on a royal up bid that says PER PERSON when it's not per person.

Ourusualbeach posted something about politics at rcl that he didnt explain. I called in about solo cabins and one guy said oh no such, it's a glitch, next said a mistake, he would have IT remove them. Now I cant even see solo cabin pricing any more on rcl. 

Next January is my first time booking one, and it's been nothing but unpleasant surprises. 

I had a great senior rate on liberty at 200% which i lost, supposed to leave today. The January solo cabin is the replacement I found out later get fewer loyalty pts for higher price, though I do get 2 extra days of cruising. But it is over $100 more for 5 fewer loyalty pts. 

Maybe ourusualbeach can tell us what he means by politics?

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

When cruising resumes, assuming the ships will not sail at 100% capacity, how does RCI still justify charging singles 200% of the going rate. Past reasoning was that there is one less person who would be spending money on the ship as there is one person in the cabin instead of two. Now it would seem to not matter. Since there will be empty cabins why should it matter if an occupied cabin has one or two people in it? 

The same reasoning applies.  Nothing has changed as far as this goes.  There were empty cabins before.  

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Since they started the double loyalty pts I'm ok with it. .. though the whole pricing thing makes friends eyes glaze over who expect prices to be how hotels price their rooms. Even with 2 of them they are like what? When I say its pp pricing they are looking at. ...based on double occupancy. 

Same reason why most hotels get away with charging the same rate for a room regardless if there is 1 or 2 person in the room. In the end, you are paying for the room / cabin. If you look at all the publications, it’ll say or imply that the fare is based on double occupancy for the cabin. There are exception on ships where there are cabins designed for solo travelers. The rate isn’t always 1/2 that of a regular room because the size of those cabins aren’t 1/2 that of a regular room in the same category.

Also there are times when Royal Caribbean do offer reduce single supplements on sailings with low demands. In the end, you are paying for cabin space on the ship. It isn’t a Royal Caribbean issue, it’s just how the industry work. 

Edited by SkaterJasp

I can easily imagine that happening, though it may not be a given.  There is another possibility for the “empty” cabins. 

Hypothetically, they could decided to temporarily reassign some of the lower deck guest cabins to staff/crew, this allowing more space on average per crew member...at least more social distancing than usual.  If so, a ship could sail with substantially fewer guests yet cabins could still be utilized.

1 hour ago, Newleno said:

if not loyal check other cruiselines, dec 1, 2019 on the ncl jewel i got a solo akl - syd  11 or 12 nights for $250, yeah you read that right, last minute deal.

Best deal I got was a 5niter for $9(plus $50port) Total $59 cruising SOLO. Was no Single Supplement, for most Cruises post 9/11-Anthrax scare which some ran threw Spring 2002. Even then they couldnt fill the ships... Lately better chance finding Military Discounts then no Single Supplements

• Like 1

I was looking at an eleven night cruise on Vision for December 2021 and it was £400 cheaper to say that two people were in the room than one person. 
live started doing this often now and have the other person as a no show and get double points.

On 4/27/2020 at 2:44 PM, Ned11 said:

I was looking at an eleven night cruise on Vision for December 2021 and it was £400 cheaper to say that two people were in the room than one person. 
live started doing this often now and have the other person as a no show and get double points.

You can also call in or use a travel agent and get the same deal, without having to pay the second person's taxes and getting them refunded after. 

The website can't handle the algorithm for assigning a sale price on the second person's rate.  (You know Royal and their stellar IT department!)  So if it's "half off the second passenger" the computer charges you full price for the first passenger and then doubles it for single supplement -- that's what it's been programmed to do.  

But if you call and talk to a salesperson at Royal, or if you call a travel agent to book it for you, they can get you the two-person sale price for just one person, with only paying taxes for just one person.

10 minutes ago, brillohead said:

You can also call in or use a travel agent and get the same deal, without having to pay the second person's taxes and getting them refunded after. 

The website can't handle the algorithm for assigning a sale price on the second person's rate.  (You know Royal and their stellar IT department!)  So if it's "half off the second passenger" the computer charges you full price for the first passenger and then doubles it for single supplement -- that's what it's been programmed to do.  

But if you call and talk to a salesperson at Royal, or if you call a travel agent to book it for you, they can get you the two-person sale price for just one person, with only paying taxes for just one person.

Even with a ta, my ta says if I book a 2 person rate or a gty I have to pay a deposit as if 2 people. I'm trying to keep my deposit low, so I can use up more of a fcc

12 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Even with a ta, my ta says if I book a 2 person rate or a gty I have to pay a deposit as if 2 people. I'm trying to keep my deposit low, so I can use up more of a fcc

My TA has been able to give me the sale-price (like half off second passenger) with only one deposit before. 

20 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Group rates require a full deposit (two people).  Solos booked under regular rates only require one person deposit .

since a gty  usually cannot be booked for one you have no choice but to pay the 2 person deposit as well as both peoples taxes and fees and have the second person be a no show. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Group rates require a full deposit (two people).  Solos booked under regular rates only require one person deposit .

since a gty  usually cannot be booked for one you have no choice but to pay the 2 person deposit as well as both peoples taxes and fees and have the second person be a no show. 

I am not wanting to book a group rate. I dont know why rcl makes 2 book a gty. I book them solo all the time with carnival. I love the anticipation