Thanksgiving cruise

drvmywifecrzy

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Well I would not recommend the thanksgiving dinner in mdr, the buffet has carved real Turkey.

The Thanksgiving dinner in the mdr is pretty bad (pressed turkey), but other than that it's the same as other cruises.

I couldn't agree more. The carved turkey in the buffet is the real deal and you can request dark meat and even a drumstick! The MDR turkey is pressed turkey roll and is the worst. This is what I think the MDR turkey is similar to:

10-breakthroughs-tv-dinners-2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have been on Thanksgiving cruises 3 of the last 4 years. As others have said, the turkey in the MDR is not that good in my opinion. To me these cruises are very similar to most other cruises, since the ships aren’t decorated for Christmas and more or less look the way they do the rest of the year. The sports bars used to be packed Thursday thru Sunday with people watching football, but that has changed since the majority of major college games are no longer shown on ships since Carnival stopped carrying the major networks. The sports bar on Fridays and Saturdays are no longer packed like they were in the past on Thanksgiving cruises.  I have never seen the sports bar (Skybox on Liberty) so crowded then when they showed the Florida-Florida State game. 

1 hour ago, sanmarcosman said:

I couldn't agree more. The carved turkey in the buffet is the real deal and you can request dark meat and even a drumstick! The MDR turkey is pressed turkey roll and is the worst. This is what I think the MDR turkey is similar to:

10-breakthroughs-tv-dinners-2.jpg

This made me LOL.  I cant tell you how many of these meals I had as a kid!  I had a working mom.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've been on several Thanksgiving cruises. I never order the turkey dinner though, there's too many other good things on the menu. As others have said, they have real carved turkey in the buffet and the pressed stuff in the dining room.

18 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

This made me LOL.  I cant tell you how many of these meals I had as a kid!  I had a working mom.

Wasn't there a small square of cranberry in the turkey TV dinner? I also loved the Mexican TV dinner!

25 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Wasn't there a small square of cranberry in the turkey TV dinner? I also loved the Mexican TV dinner!

No, the " dessert " was a fruit cobbler, usually cherry, and that didn't come along until the mid 70s. You may be thinking of that. Swanson introduced TV dinners in the 50s.

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

How are Thanksgiving cruises?  

We have cruised on 6 Thanksgiving cruises😱 and we loved them!  We found the weather could be a bit unpredictable (the Western Caribbean specifically) but in general it was great.  Also a big plus because my girls wouldn't miss as much school.

Now turkey dinner-wise, we would get one turkey dinner for our table, we would all have a bite and say "Happy Thanksgiving!" then eat our own choices for dinner. After the cruise, I would make my turkey dinner at home.

• Like 1