Who says the papers never get things right.

daiB

4 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I have to admit, I did many years ago own a Suzuki bike!

Saw the light, and only owned Triumphs since.

Just realised, being a Triumph owner must mean I'm a Little Englander or White Anglo-Saxon Protestant!

8 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Just realised, being a Triumph owner must mean I'm a Little Englander or White Anglo-Saxon Protestant!

I had a Vespa  - not sure what that makes me? A lover rather than a racer I suppose! 

14 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Oh dear. I’ve had loads of BMW’s over the years. I’m now worried that I might be hauled up in front of a war crimes tribunal. 

I've never owned a German car or want one. Nothing against them. Their brands just never appealed to me. I suppose I'll be accused of being right wing for having a British car! 

Just now, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

You mean such a thing still exists? 😂

News to me. Unless you count Morgan and the like. I thought we just assembled parts these days.  A sad reflection on the British motor industry, destroyed by the unions and appalling management in the post-war period. And to think we were offered Volkswagen but turned it down.

12 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

News to me. Unless you count Morgan and the like. I thought we just assembled parts these days.  A sad reflection on the British motor industry, destroyed by the unions and appalling management in the post-war period. And to think we were offered Volkswagen but turned it down.

The UK is a major car exporter these days. Given the ways multinationals operate,  you can never tell where your car is being produced.  Look at how many Gernan badged models are not produced in Gernany! 

37 minutes ago, Esprit said:

I've never owned a German car or want one. Nothing against them. Their brands just never appealed to me. I suppose I'll be accused of being right wing for having a British car! 

Not really Lotus is now owned by China's Geely and Malaysia's Etika, so quite cosmopolitan.

33 minutes ago, Esprit said:

I went for decades without a German car but once I discovered BMW’s I just keep going back to them. I’ve driven literally hundreds of different cars of almost all makes and have never found anything that even comes close to them. It saddens me to say it really as I’d love a British car, but the only ones that appeal to me are £150k and upwards and I wouldn’t be prepared to spend that on a car, even if I could. I’d be terrified to park it anywhere!

24 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sadly our motor industry wasn’t the only one to be destroyed by the unions, but I’m surprised to hear you of all people say that Harry. Has the lockdown caused you to slightly soften your political leanings? 😏

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Oh dear. I’ve had loads of BMW’s over the years. I’m now worried that I might be hauled up in front of a war crimes tribunal. 

I have owned Triumph cars and bikes and both vespa &Lambretta scooters. My last 4 cars have been VW&Merc. Not owned a Japanese car/bike, but have a Yamaha guitar. Never did grow up it appears.

5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Sadly our motor industry wasn’t the only one to be destroyed by the unions, but I’m surprised to hear you of all people say that Harry. Has the lockdown caused you to slightly soften your political leanings? 😏

My political leanings remain the same, but have been very much misjudged by many people here. Just not worth the time and trouble correcting them.  I provide the forum with a useful outlet as the local hate figure.  😇

51 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Back to the Daily Mail, Rothermere and Nazism

Here’s a really good, brief article by Roy Greenslade, interestingly enough published in The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2011/dec/06/dailymail-oswald-mosley

The facts are there - it’s time to bury the 80 year old mantra

The facts are that they supported the Nazi's.  The rest is opinion on if it matters or not nowadays. 

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

A sad reflection on the British motor industry, destroyed by the unions and appalling management in the post-war period.

I thought I was the only person who thought the unions destroyed the car industry.  Maybe I have misjudged you.

22 minutes ago, Clipper Chick said:

I thought I was the only person who thought the unions destroyed the car industry.  Maybe I have misjudged you.

before you go down the union bashing route the decline of the British car industry was the lack of investment plus the working conditions were atrocious compared to our European competitors,when you saw the profits being drained to pay shareholder dividends and ever increasing wages of the people in charge it became inevitable those who were actually making the products would want there share,but blame it all on the unions you probably believe the bosses were blameless.

15 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

before you go down the union bashing route the decline of the British car industry was the lack of investment plus the working conditions were atrocious compared to our European competitors,when you saw the profits being drained to pay shareholder dividends and ever increasing wages of the people in charge it became inevitable those who were actually making the products would want there share,but blame it all on the unions you probably believe the bosses were blameless.

Too true. Worker conditions have improved tremendously in the UK, thanks to Trade Unions

I think I'll keep out of this before I'm accused of running multiple profiles!  However, I did say that it was a combination of the unions and bad management - a recipe for disaster, which is exactly what it proved to be.

If only unions and management (and government) could learn to work together in this country, as they do in Germany, rather than constantly fighting for party political reasons we'd be in the healthy financial state that Germany's in instead of the state we're in.  I don't recall seeing ten years of austerity cuts in Germany - they have more sense, and realise that cutting investment in the future and infrastructure is economic madness.

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

Depends if you mean a car made in Britain (thousands a week) or a car made by a British owned company.

Well it's a British company (incorporated in England & Wales) producing cars in Norfolk situated on a former WWII airfield:classic_smile:

Edited by Esprit

7 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Well it's a British company (incorporated in England & Wales) producing cars in Norfolk situated on a former WWII airfield:classic_smile:

With Chinese (51%) & Malaysian (49%) owners, it's about as British as Jaguar Landrover !

18 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Triumph was started by a German and had factories in Germany in the early days.