Wind Surf to Colon, Panama ?

dandee2

It's possible that dock fees are lower there.  The next itinerary on her schedule is July 10th Baltic from Copenhagen to Stockholm.  It would probably take three weeks to get her there from Colon.  

My Baltic cruise is still scheduled for July 20th, but if I had to put money on it, I'm thinking it's not going to happen.  

1 hour ago, ducklite said:

It's possible that dock fees are lower there.  The next itinerary on her schedule is July 10th Baltic from Copenhagen to Stockholm.  It would probably take three weeks to get her there from Colon.  

My Baltic cruise is still scheduled for July 20th, but if I had to put money on it, I'm thinking it's not going to happen.  

I was guessing that Windstar had concluded that her first cruise is going to be on the Pacific side, and that Colon is just a way station.  Crew should sue for cruel and unusual punishment if the ship is to be held at Colon for any length of time!

Our 6/30 cruise that included the Baltic 7/10 was cancelled but that could be because it was Edinburgh as a embarkation point. Not sure what the airlines are going to be doing by then and what ports will be open. 

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I was guessing that Windstar had concluded that her first cruise is going to be on the Pacific side, and that Colon is just a way station.  Crew should sue for cruel and unusual punishment if the ship is to be held at Colon for any length of time!

To do a Pacific cruise, Wind Surf would have to go around Cape Horn (or go East). You do realize that she can't go from the Atlantic to the Pacific through the canal, right? She is too tall to fit under the Bridge of the Americas. That's why her first Panama Canal trip was a partial transit from Colon and back a few months ago. 

I have heard that the Bridge of the Americas may be replaced with a higher bridge someday, but in a quick web search, I can't find anything about definite plans to do that. Until it's raised, it seems unlikely that Wind Surf will travel to the Pacific when it is easier to get any of the other Wind Star ships there.

3 hours ago, sb44 said:

Our 6/30 cruise that included the Baltic 7/10 was cancelled but that could be because it was Edinburgh as a embarkation point. Not sure what the airlines are going to be doing by then and what ports will be open. 

Windstar extended their suspension of cruises to 6/30 - currently the first cruises are the ones that start in July. I was booked on the Wind Surf 6/30 cruise (just the 10 days, not the Cruise Collector) but cancelled it when final payment became due. I hadn't booked air yet and couldn't get into making plans for a trip that was so likely to be cancelled.

The 7/10 sailing is still showing. With things so uncertain, it may make more sense to keep the ship in the Caribbean until they have a better idea of when cruising will restart.

34 minutes ago, new_cruiser said:

To do a Pacific cruise, Wind Surf would have to go around Cape Horn (or go East). You do realize that she can't go from the Atlantic to the Pacific through the canal, right? She is too tall to fit under the Bridge of the Americas. That's why her first Panama Canal trip was a partial transit from Colon and back a few months ago. 

I have heard that the Bridge of the Americas may be replaced with a higher bridge someday, but in a quick web search, I can't find anything about definite plans to do that. Until it's raised, it seems unlikely that Wind Surf will travel to the Pacific when it is easier to get any of the other Wind Star ships there.

Actually, no, I didn't realize that – until you said it and then: 'duh' of course those tall masts!

52 minutes ago, new_cruiser said:

Windstar extended their suspension of cruises to 6/30 - currently the first cruises are the ones that start in July. I was booked on the Wind Surf 6/30 cruise (just the 10 days, not the Cruise Collector) but cancelled it when final payment became due. I hadn't booked air yet and couldn't get into making plans for a trip that was so likely to be cancelled.

The 7/10 sailing is still showing. With things so uncertain, it may make more sense to keep the ship in the Caribbean until they have a better idea of when cruising will restart.

Crew should sue for cruel and unusual punishment if the ship is to be held at Colon for any length of time!

I lived in Panama for six years, two of them on the Atlantic side right near Colon. You get used to it but def not my first choice!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Would have loved to see you again new_cruiser. I had everything all planned out, guides, hotels, etc. Now I can only hope Delta cancels our flights so we can get actual $$ back instead of credits. We're still considering Greece and Turkey in October but won't make a decision until 30 days out. My hunch on the Surf and Star is that they have a good place to hide out from hurricane season in case they don't make it to Europe this summer. Many ports still closed so they might as well just stay in a safe port on this side of the Atlantic. If nothing else shakes out we'll be onboard in the Caribbean!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sb44 said:

Would have loved to see you again new_cruiser. I had everything all planned out, guides, hotels, etc. Now I can only hope Delta cancels our flights so we can get actual $$ back instead of credits. We're still considering Greece and Turkey in October but won't make a decision until 30 days out. My hunch on the Surf and Star is that they have a good place to hide out from hurricane season in case they don't make it to Europe this summer. Many ports still closed so they might as well just stay in a safe port on this side of the Atlantic. If nothing else shakes out we'll be onboard in the Caribbean!

There's an article in todays Wall Street Journal about "the 19 airlines making refunds a headache."  Delta is NOT on the bad list.  Be glad you're not flying United.

But can't get a refund unless they cancel so have to wait until then. If the flight to Edinburgh goes best I can do is cancel the day before and get a credit. We were splurging on business class and flying home from Sweden so it was not minimal! Points Guy advising people to wait for the airline to make the move!  We are running out of travel years because of age but hoping something works out! The plan was to be out of Florida in the worst of the summer. At least we are well and healthy and that's what is really important!

13 minutes ago, sb44 said:

But can't get a refund unless they cancel so have to wait until then. If the flight to Edinburgh goes best I can do is cancel the day before and get a credit. We were splurging on business class and flying home from Sweden so it was not minimal! Points Guy advising people to wait for the airline to make the move!  We are running out of travel years because of age but hoping something works out! The plan was to be out of Florida in the worst of the summer. At least we are well and healthy and that's what is really important!

Latest map of COVID cases in the US shows that Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont are among the least infected.  They are also terrific places to be in the summer.  Just a thought...

I called WS today to find out about my 9/28 cruise on the Surf to Malta and was told that they were beginning the Europe season with the Surf at the beginning of July.  I asked a couple of questions and gave them information. I said that at that very moment the Surf was going in the opposite direction, it was going West to Panama, Amsterdam cancelled the Tall Ships they have every five years and it is still listed on the WS schedule, Spain plans on closing all ports to cruise ships until 9/1, Italy is planning the same and France is thinking about no international travel in or out in July and August. The very nice man told me he did not know those things. He told me my cruise was 60% full, I thought it was 60% full back at the end of February when WS Wizard was up. I felt badly for him because he was nice. I am sure it is a nightmare but WS should be keeping their sales staff at least semi informed. Perhaps the Breeze will take over the Greek runs because Greece has not had the virus as badly as most of Europe. The Breeze is in Europe now. My heart goes out to WS and I hope they survive. I am going with the flow and will re-evaluate 8/28 when my full payment it due. Eternal hope. Good Health and Happy Sailing to all. 

16 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Does wind surf can go thru the panama canal because of the bridges overhead?

10 hours ago, Strenz said:

I called WS today to find out about my 9/28 cruise on the Surf to Malta and was told that they were beginning the Europe season with the Surf at the beginning of July.  I asked a couple of questions and gave them information. I said that at that very moment the Surf was going in the opposite direction, it was going West to Panama, Amsterdam cancelled the Tall Ships they have every five years and it is still listed on the WS schedule, Spain plans on closing all ports to cruise ships until 9/1, Italy is planning the same and France is thinking about no international travel in or out in July and August. The very nice man told me he did not know those things. He told me my cruise was 60% full, I thought it was 60% full back at the end of February when WS Wizard was up. I felt badly for him because he was nice. I am sure it is a nightmare but WS should be keeping their sales staff at least semi informed. Perhaps the Breeze will take over the Greek runs because Greece has not had the virus as badly as most of Europe. The Breeze is in Europe now. My heart goes out to WS and I hope they survive. I am going with the flow and will re-evaluate 8/28 when my full payment it due. Eternal hope. Good Health and Happy Sailing to all. 

I work in the Transport industry and our office is sometime the last to know about what is going on. Specialized forum (like CC!) and disscusion group are way ahead of us, regular folks. So I don't blame WS employees not knowing LOL

Not in any way blaming employees. As stated the gentleman was extremely nice. I have been sailing with WS since 1999 and Seattle is always behind with information. 

I knew the Surf was in Panama to get out of the hurricane areas because the season starts 6/1 in the Caribbean. The Surf can not go under the Bridge of the Americas. In addition to being safer, Panama is probably less expensive. I have my fingers tightly crossed with good thoughts that this company survives. We have loved each trip. since we love the water WS is simply perfect for us, always has been. I hope WS does its best for its survival. Since planning is hard now but dreaming is more healthy than ever. 

Happy Sailing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Strenz said:

Not in any way blaming employees. As stated the gentleman was extremely nice. I have been sailing with WS since 1999 and Seattle is always behind with information. 

I knew the Surf was in Panama to get out of the hurricane areas because the season starts 6/1 in the Caribbean. The Surf can not go under the Bridge of the Americas. In addition to being safer, Panama is probably less expensive. I have my fingers tightly crossed with good thoughts that this company survives. We have loved each trip. since we love the water WS is simply perfect for us, always has been. I hope WS does its best for its survival. Since planning is hard now but dreaming is more healthy than ever. 

Happy Sailing

Was it Ty?  I've spoken to him several times, first with the cancellation of the Star Legend cruise we had booked in September, and I'm pretty sure it was him I worked with to re-book onto the Baltic cruise.  He was the one who told me last week that final payments are now not due until 30 days out.  He's always been very professional and pleasant, a real asset to the company.

Dear Ducklite, Unfortunately I do know know his name.He was lovely, wanted to help, good listener , asset to the company. Good Luck with your cruise. He told me about the payment being 30 days out now as well. I am sure that will be easier for WS  because it looks like the world does not what it can do or will do beyond 30 days. Here's hoping that we can all cruise with WS again. If you get to go hope it is grand. 

• Like 1

I think the Wind Surf and Wind Star will stay in Panama until the end of October, post hurricane season, and only start sailing in Caribbean after that. Why would they send most of their staff on the Pride back to Lisbon if they intended to go to Europe later this summer.  Also if they intended to sail to Europe, they would have chosen another port to berth that is closer to Europe and yet outside hurricane zone. 

I am sorry for all the posters who have cruises booked and have to go through this hassle, but as I have said in many posts, I have never seen the point of booking a Windstar cruise too long in advance (mostly for pricing).  With the aggravation some posters have had to go through for their refunds highlighted on this forum, it just confirms that I'll continue booking our cruises the same way.   

15 minutes ago, Misty Morning said:

I think the Wind Surf and Wind Star will stay in Panama until the end of October, post hurricane season, and only start sailing in Caribbean after that. Why would they send most of their staff on the Pride back to Lisbon if they intended to go to Europe later this summer.  Also if they intended to sail to Europe, they would have chosen another port to berth that is closer to Europe and yet outside hurricane zone. 

I am sorry for all the posters who have cruises booked and have to go through this hassle, but as I have said in many posts, I have never seen the point of booking a Windstar cruise too long in advance (mostly for pricing).  With the aggravation some posters have had to go through for their refunds highlighted on this forum, it just confirms that I'll continue booking our cruises the same way.   

I've never had any issues with booking in advance until now and nobody could have predicted this.  Windstar was always fair with us in adjusting for price drops and the few times that we missed a last minute one by a couple of hundred dollars, we more than made up for it with better hotel and airline pricing plus OBC's so I have no gripes. They're processing refunds as fast as they can and I just received a FCC for an October cancellation but am waiting for the one from our June cancellation.  I did send an email to remind them in case that one fell through the cracks.

I think you're correct on keeping the ships in Panama until the Caribbean season but only time will tell there.  I would hate to be the CEO, acting or otherwise, right now and can only imagine what angst they are going through as they can only react to what governmental authorities are doing.  They have my admiration as it can't be easy.  On the other hand, I'd like them to be as transparent with all of us as possible so we don't have the need to imagine what "might" be happening instead of what "is" happening. We're all grownups and it would be nice as Windstar "family" as we're referred to, to be in the loop instead of fantasizing about what might be happening.  It also helps keep down the rumor mill!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Misty Morning said:

I think they are keeping the ships in the Caribbean because it is reasonably possible but not certain that cruising won't start up again until after they were scheduled to be back there. If cruises can resume in Europe some time this summer, they will know enough ahead of time to be able to send the ships across. The crossing takes 2 weeks and they probably need that kind of lead time to restart cruises anyway. 

Which port during this time is probably based on practical economic factors such as safety (avoidance of hurricanes), cost for the anchorage, ease of resupply.  Whether it is a nice place for the crew to visit during downtime probably isn't a factor because they would be sheltering in place where ever they are. 

Like sb44, I've never had a problem with booking well in advance (more than 9 months). Of our last 6 cruises, I've had 2 where the price never dropped below our initial booking and in fact it rose considerably and the ship ended up sold out well ahead of time. The other 4 had price drops (sometimes more than once and sometimes more than $1k) that Windstar gave us.  We had our pick of rooms. I have also booked once close to the cruise date (about a month ahead) and that worked out fine too. It was a cruise that we had thought about adding back-to-back to one we were already on and we decided to pull the trigger when it when the price dropped.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dandee2 said:

Does wind surf can go thru the panama canal because of the bridges overhead?

The Bridge of the Americas (the bridge at the Pacific end of the canal) is  61.3 m (201 ft) above sea level at high tide. Wind Star (and Wind Spirit) mast tops are 204 feet - we had to wait for the tide to go under the bridge (presumably they need some safety margin to account for waves and such). 

Wind Surf mast height is 262 feet. It can't go under the Bridge of the Americas. 

On 4/29/2020 at 10:23 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Latest map of COVID cases in the US shows that Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont are among the least infected.  They are also terrific places to be in the summer.  Just a thought...

As a resident of Vermont, I can tell you that at present, all of our hotels, campgrounds, Airbnb’s , etc are closed except for essential workers and for people ( including returning residents) entering the state, you must quarantine for 14 days. The rule right now for everyone else is shelter in place. This is how we are keeping infections low. But welcome!