August Departure

rhinomike

We are scheduled for a two week cruise out of Amsterdam on the Nieuw Statendam. Departure date is August 2nd. Thoughts on if this will happen or not?  We are going to go if the ship sails. Will all the ports be open?  If the ship doesn’t sail we will take out flight and do a road trip. Will that be possible?

No one can answer that with 100% certainty but barring some miracle, I think it’s unlikely that many ports will be open in Europe in August

Many countries have barred entrance by air/sea to non Nationals.  I’m not sure when that will be lifted or eased up on.

Very doubtful.......our son's Memorial weekend wedding is moved now to August 30th.....now this is 100 person guest list and we're not sure about that.  I'd be more confident in cruising for 2021........but hoping we can this year.

59 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I cancelled our Aug trip to the Baltic due to concern of ports being closed.  I am not going to spend that kind of money and time and then not be able to see what I came for.

We cancelled our July Baltic cruise prior to final payment for all the same reasons. Plus possible issues getting home, plus etc etc etc. We 're booked the same literary for late August 2021. I'm even crossing my fingers for that one. 

Edited by yerdua

2 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

IF your cruise does happen -- don't be surprised if there are port changes.  Will you be happy with the changes?

Yes. Different ports are fine. I would not want to see less ports. We like to get off the ship as much as possible and on this 14 day cruise there is only 2 or 3 sea days. 

2 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

If your cruise does go ahead, would you be able to purchase travel medical insurance to cover anything that could happen to you?

Yes. I am very well off and that would not be an issue. 

1 hour ago, Qcruise said:

Very doubtful.......our son's Memorial weekend wedding is moved now to August 30th.....now this is 100 person guest list and we're not sure about that.  I'd be more confident in cruising for 2021........but hoping we can this year.

where was the wedding to be and did you cancel it or the venue?

37 minutes ago, rhinomike said:

where was the wedding to be and did you cancel it or the venue?

We live on the West coast......the venue cancelled the May date......they have given the couple until May 31 to make a choice to keep the August date and chance it or take a May date 2021.  I am hopeful August will work.  Another son wedding in October this year......so much stress.

3 hours ago, rhinomike said:

Yes. I am very well off and that would not be an issue. 

Really?  Right now insurance agencies are not covering anything related to Covid-19 for trip cancellation or travel medical. By August a lot would have to happen to change this situation.

15 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Really?  Right now insurance agencies are not covering anything related to Covid-19 for trip cancellation or travel medical. By August a lot would have to happen to change this situation.

I am fine. I am self insured. I can assure you there are no worries in that department. 

22 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

Unless your cruise is going to Georgia or Tennessee, I would forget it. 😉

Funny you should say that!  Maybe you (or others here) can share a bit of wisdom. 

We are actually booked on a river cruise from Pittsburgh to Louisville beginning on Sept 6,  just 4 months away. This is a cruise we have looked forward to for years, and booked last year. 

What do you think is the possibility of river cruises -within the US- being able to sail this fall?  This particular cruise, on this particular boat, is not offered next year, so we can’t just delay till 2021. I can’t decide if we should cancel, or wait and hope for the best. 

I do not want to “hijack” this thread, but have always trusted CCers advice, and info on the river cruise boards is sparse.