Any word on 70+ travelers?

DisneyDatknee

I can't find anything on Carnival's site. My mother wants to go on the Horizon at the end of August and it's a stellar deal, but she's over 70 and I've heard other cruises lines are requiring a physician's note. I'm not sure if my mother would pass as she has several stents in her heart as well as AFib.

Does anyone know any information? We are fine with booking a cruise in August as we live in South Florida, so pretty flexible if it comes to cancelling/rebooking.

John just addressed this as well this morning.  They will follow cdc rules at the time, but have no plans at this time to require 70 plus doctor notes when they resume.  

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There are children and adults on cruises that have the same health conditions as people over 70 do.

I think if the cruise lines require people over 70 to obtain doctor's notes before they can sail is a slippery slope and one that I don't think they want to enforce.  It will open a Pandora's box.

51 minutes ago, tattoos said:

There are children and adults on cruises that have the same health conditions as people over 70 do.

I think if the cruise lines require people over 70 to obtain doctor's notes before they can sail is a slippery slope and one that I don't think they want to enforce.  It will open a Pandora's box.

I quite agree. I don't know the demographics of those that do sail, but I'd venture to say a large percentage of those that do have reached that threshold. 

8 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

I quite agree. I don't know the demographics of those that do sail, but I'd venture to say a large percentage of those that do have reached that threshold. 

The average age of a Carnival cruiser is 56+.  So you are right on, when thinking the number of kids that sail as well. 

13 minutes ago, coevan said:

I doubt if it was even legal. It was a quick overreaction when the virus was beginning to unravel. 

Agreed, they were trying to check a box, when the CDC was toying with them with cruise/ not cruise.  

I agree, it was a knee jerk reaction at the time.  Diabetes, heart issues, etc., does not affect only the elderly.  If they eliminated all cruisers with health issues and compromised immune systems regardless of age, there would be no one left to cruise.

I'm sure everyone is correct, the cruise lines will come up with a new, extended health questionnaire that will be applicable to all passengers and does not single out a certain demographic.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tattoos said:

I agree, it was a knee jerk reaction at the time.  Diabetes, heart issues, etc., does not affect only the elderly.  If they eliminated all cruisers with health issues and compromised immune systems regardless of age, there would be no one left to cruise.

I'm sure everyone is correct, the cruise lines will come up with a new, extended health questionnaire that will be applicable to all passengers and does not single out a certain demographic.

It has to be that way.

RCL posted on their website under health protocol.    They have removed the 70 or older doctor's note requirement as well as the no sail order for anyone with underlying medical issues such as heart problems, diabetics, etc. etc. however, they are working with government medical agencies and the CLIA to develop the new process.     

so even though they are they have removed it - we have no way of knowing what will replace it.    

Stay tuned for more details.......

Cruisers over 70 years of age are being reassured they will not have to provide doctor's notes in order to be able to cruise, once operations resume.

The requirement was instituted by the Cruise Lines International Association, the industry's governing body, shortly before cruise operations were suspended in March due to the ongoing COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.

It originally mandated that passengers over 70 years of age, or those with chronic underlying health conditions, would require a signed note from a doctor – known as a "Fit-to-Sail" form -  confirming they were able to take part in the voyage. Those with heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease or immunodeficiency issues including HIV/AIDS, cancer or diabetes would have been unable to sail.

The mandate set off furious debate among cruisers over 70, who worried that doctors would be unable to write such notes, due to liability issues.

In a video presentation to travel agents, Royal Caribbean's Senior Vice President of Sales and Trade Support, Vicki Freed, confirmed that the notes would no longer be required once cruise operations resume.

"We found out that CLIA did actually change this requirement on April 3rd," said Freed. "A health form is no longer required for those travelers ages 70 plus, nor are there restrictions for those guests with underlying health conditions."