Transatlantics

Froggitt

All the Westbound cruises are available to book this Autumn/Fall, however *all* those ships are currently in the US, and there are no bookable cruises Eastbound. Anyone know anything e.g. they will travel to Europe empty, they are already in Europe, they will announce dates when the lockdown is over, the Westbound cruises will all be cancelled and the ships will stay in the US this summer (cancelling all the summer/fall Europe 2020 cruises).

One NCL ship - STAR - is currently heading over to Southampton - possibly crew repatriation (or possibly restarting cruises in Northern Europe - but this seems doubtful). 

Another NCL ship - JADE - is still sitting tight in Dubai, yet to be sailed back to Europe.

We're booked on the Jade's westbound late October TA out of Civitavecchia.  Frankly, it doesn't seem likely that this cruise will happen.    I'm not even sure hard-hit countries like Italy and Spain will even want foreign tourists at that point, especially from the U.S., which has more reported coronavirus cases than any other country in the world.  Also, it is exceedingly unlikely that a vaccine will have been developed by then, been proven safe and effective, and been made widely available world wide early enough to matter for this or other fall cruises.

Final payment for us is in early July.   I suspect we'll have cancelled before then.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Froggitt said:

All the Westbound cruises are available to book this Autumn/Fall, however *all* those ships are currently in the US, and there are no bookable cruises Eastbound. Anyone know anything e.g. they will travel to Europe empty, they are already in Europe, they will announce dates when the lockdown is over, the Westbound cruises will all be cancelled and the ships will stay in the US this summer (cancelling all the summer/fall Europe 2020 cruises).

No one knows anything about what is going with respect to fall Transatlantics other than the itineraries have been posted and they are currently intending to operate the sailings. What is the value in speculating?

1 hour ago, blcruising said:

No one knows anything about what is going with respect to fall Transatlantics other than the itineraries have been posted and they are currently intending to operate the sailings. What is the value in speculating?

So you want us to speculate on the value of speculating?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Froggitt said:

No one knows anything factual about how this will play out....I speculate the latter of your thoughts will most likely prevail....

There's some speculation that the Getaway is being used to transfer European employees back home. If that's the case presumably it would stay in that region to continue with any of it's scheduled European sailings that's allowed and it's ultimate TA back to NOLA in October. 

On 5/1/2020 at 4:50 PM, Turtles06 said:

We're booked on the Jade's westbound late October TA out of Civitavecchia.  Frankly, it doesn't seem likely that this cruise will happen.    I'm not even sure hard-hit countries like Italy and Spain will even want foreign tourists at that point, especially from the U.S., which has more reported coronavirus cases than any other country in the world.  Also, it is exceedingly unlikely that a vaccine will have been developed by then, been proven safe and effective, and been made widely available world wide early enough to matter for this or other fall cruises.

Final payment for us is in early July.   I suspect we'll have cancelled before then.  

on the same cruise. I doubt it will happen.

On 5/1/2020 at 4:50 PM, Turtles06 said:

ours is paid for, we decided to apply the FCC to that cruise instead of booking a new one or taking a refund. We still have 140 dollars of that FCC.

12 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

on the same cruise. I doubt it will happen.

I think you know that I feel the same way.  But lots of folks seem to be living in an alternate reality when it comes to this. 

• Like 3

On 5/1/2020 at 1:36 PM, bluesea777 said:

One NCL ship - STAR - is currently heading over to Southampton - possibly crew repatriation (or possibly restarting cruises in Northern Europe - but this seems doubtful). 

Another NCL ship - JADE - is still sitting tight in Dubai, yet to be sailed back to Europe.

The Star had been scheduled for dry dock to address the ongoing engine issues, she was supposed to dry dock after her April TA which didn't happen so I'm assuming she is heading over to go into dry dock now that some of the ship yards in Europe have reopened. Where or what the crew will do if she dry docks is unknown, don't know if they can stay on board or not

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, njkate said:

The Star had been scheduled for dry dock to address the ongoing engine issues, she was supposed to dry dock after her April TA which didn't happen so I'm assuming she is heading over to go into dry dock now that some of the ship yards in Europe have reopened. Where or what the crew will do if she dry docks is unknown, don't know if they can stay on board or not

Oh yes! I'd forgotten about the Star being due for dry-dock for repairs. Thanks!

While I think there will be tourism in Europe this year (In fact Sicily has plans to lure tourists back and offer to pay half of the airline tickets and 1/3 of the hotels  source: https://www.timeout.com/news/visit-sicily-this-autumn-and-the-island-will-pay-for-half-of-your-flights-042820) I'm not sure cruise ports will open up unfortunately

The typical cruise tourist spends very little money in the few hours they visit, so i'm afraid cruise ships would be at  the rock bottom on a priority list.