SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

6 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

It’s why I didn’t make the claim the deaths were due to the vaccine, but rather only occurred after receiving the vaccine.

Understood ... but when one makes a unclarifying statement... it could lead some to believe the vaccine was the culprit... I just wanted to make sure all the FACTS were presented … I am growing so very wary of “I saw it on the internet so I know it’s got to be true!” mentality that has been so prevalent over the past few years/decades.

Joseph

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

I am growing so very wary of “I saw it on the internet so I know it’s got to be true!” mentality that has been so prevalent over the past few years/decades.

For sure.  Abraham Lincoln had it right when he said, “Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it." 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The vaccines are here. We are getting them. Crews will, too.

The one thing that could set us back, from a whole lot to just a little is emergence of one or more mutations against which our vaccines “don’t work at all” <———— (spectrum)————> “work a bit”.   How “this one works” is determined is less PR and more epidemiology. What can be counted will be counted, from subjective symptoms, positive PCR tests, hospital admissions, ICU admissions, to deaths.      Many ports are in countries where the counts or their accuracy could be debated. A ship full of vaccinated folks who circulate in a town with asymptomatic locals infected with something the vaccines don’t work on gets us a worrisome  scenario. 

It is speculation at this stage to predict where, in terms of safe cruising, the mutations take us. The 1918 influenza had several waves, generally 3, and lasted 3 years.   

Be calm, be kind, be safe. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2021 at 9:09 PM, christraveller said:

The vaccines are here. We are getting them. Crews will, too.  The one thing that could set us back, from a whole lot to just a little is emergence of one or more mutations.   It is speculation at this stage to predict where, in terms of safe cruising, the mutations take us. The 1918 influenza had several waves, generally 3, and lasted 3 years.   Be calm, be kind, be safe. 

YES, agree above that the variants are a big, BIG question mark and unknown.  Many are speculating and guessing as to how well these current vaccines will protect, LONG-TERM??!!  As I have noted previously, there will probably be, in my opinion, a need for a booster shot later this year or early next year to help enhance coverage and protection against these variations.  Just las somewhat happen with polio, there was first the Jonas Salk vaccine in 1955.  Then in 1961, a different, oral polio vaccine was developed by Albert Sabin.  Remember talking both of these back in the "good old days".  

From the London/UK Evening Standard yesterday, they had this headline: “British Airways to roll out digital vaccine passports” with these highlights: “British Airways will introduce digital vaccine passports in time for the planned reopening of international travel in May.  The airline will ask those who have had two doses of a coronavirus vaccine to log their vaccination details with their BA app.   They also said they would reintroduce free snacks and water for economy passengers.  It comes as Scottish Labour revealed passengers are bypassing the Scottish Government’s hotel quarantine system by flying from other airports in the UK.  The use of the AstraZeneca vaccine should be temporarily 'deferred' in Ireland in the wake of a report by Norwegian regulators, Irish health authorities have advised.  The NHS is to double the number of vaccinations against Covid-19 to five million a week, the Sunday Times reports.”

For those in the UK, what is your sense of progress there?  How close are those in the UK getting to what might be called as (hopefully) a form of "herd immunity"?

Full story at:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/uk-coronavirus-live-covid-british-airways-digital-vaccine-passports-b923993.html?page=2

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 31,498 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

From CNN cable news this morning, they had this headline: When can we go on a cruise again? with these highlights: “It's been a year since the cruise industry was in the eye of the Covid storm as leisure ships proved themselves ideal places for the disease to spread.  Today, the multi-billion dollar industry remains in limbo. While recent vaccine rollouts have brought optimism and, in some countries, Covid numbers are finally going down after a devastating second wave, international travel remains curtailed.  Most of the world's major cruise lines have canceled voyages until the northern hemisphere summer -- and there remain question marks over what cruising in the wake of Covid will look like.   Attempts to bring cruising back in certain markets have so far yielded mixed results.  Right now, most of the world's major cruise lines remain out of action.  In the US, the CDC no-sail order was lifted in October 2020 and detailed regulations were subsequently announced for how cruising could return to US waters, including running 'simulated voyages' designed 'to replicate real world on board conditions of cruising.'  The CDC rules were announced before the vaccine rollout gathered speed, so are focused on preventive measures including pre-boarding testing.”

Here is more from the CNN reporting: "The CDC's official guidance is still that "all people" should avoid travel on cruise ships. It's regulations for cruising's return remain in effect until November 1, 2021. 'Returning to passenger cruising is a phased approach and our current focus is on the protection of crew and working with cruise lines to implement the initial phase requirements of testing all crew and developing onboard laboratory capacity,' a CDC spokesperson told CNN Travel. They said there was no date for when simulated voyages would begin.  Roger Frizzell, a spokesman for Carnival Corporation -- which own Princess Cruises alongside Carnival Cruise Line, Costa Cruises, P&O Cruises, Cunard, Princess and Holland America -- told CNN Travel the cruise company will take 'a staggered approach' to returning 'with a limited number of our ships cruising initially.'  CLIA spokesperson Julie Green told CNN Travel that her organization, which represents 95% of ocean-going cruise liners, believes 'vaccinations should co-exist with testing regimes and other protocols and be considered as a progressive enhancement to responsible travel.'  'No single measure alone is effective, and a multi-layered approach is the right one to mitigate risk,' she said."

Full story at:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/future-cruising-2021/index.html

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 30,493 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

From the New York Post this morning, they had this headline: Cruise lines resume sailing in US waters for first time since COVID-19 washed ashore” with these highlights: “A small US cruise line returned to the waters over the weekend, marking the first industry voyage in American waters since the coronavirus pandemic first hit early last year.  American Cruise Lines’ coastal cruiser Independence departed Amelia Island, Florida, for a seven-day trip to Charleston, South Carolina, USA Today reported.  The cruise line is able to resume operations because it has ships small enough to bypass current sailing directives from the Centers for Disease and Control.  The Independence, which usually holds 100 passengers, capped its capacity at 75 percent.  Passengers and crew members must also test negative for the coronavirus within four days of arriving on the ship."

Here are more details; "Another small US ship line, American Queen Steamboat Company, is also set to resume sailing on Monday. AQSC, similarly, has small enough vessels to bypass the federal regulations.  The company’s ship, American Duchess, will sail on the Mississippi River between New Orleans and Memphis.  Passengers on the line must test for COVID-19 the night before boarding."

Full story at:

https://nypost.com/2021/03/15/cruise-lines-resume-sailing-in-us-waters-for-first-time-since-covid-19-hit/

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 19,510 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Much in the news today regarding Covid, vaccines, cruises, etc. Some good?  Certain items not so good? 

From the Associated Press/AP newswire within the past hour, they had this headline: “Major European nations suspend use of AstraZeneca vaccine” with these highlights: “Germany, France and Italy on Monday became the latest countries to suspend use of AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine over reports of dangerous blood clots in some recipients, though the company and European regulators have said there is no evidence the shot is to blame.  Germany’s health minister said the decision was taken on the advice of the country’s vaccine regulator, the Paul Ehrlich Institute, which called for further investigation into seven reported cases of clots in the brains of people who had been vaccinated.  French President Emmanuel Macron said his country would likewise suspend shots at least until Tuesday afternoon, when the European Union’s drug regulatory agency will weigh in on the vaccine. He said France hopes to resume using the formula soon.   Italy’s medicines regulator also announced a precautionary, temporary ban.  AstraZeneca said on its website that there have been 37 reports of blood clots out of more than 17 million people vaccinated in the 27-country European Union and Britain. The drugmaker said there is no evidence the vaccine carries an increased risk of clots.”

Full story at:

https://apnews.com/article/germany-suspends-astrazeneca-vaccine-blood-clotting-0ab2c4fe13370c96c873e896387eb92f

Completed 2019 summer with Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Musse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

I am not worried re the AZ jab (which I had) and am looking forward to my 2nd jab in May. I think in the UK we are cracking on, and look forward to hospitals being freed up to cure people with other illnesses. Then maybe we can travel abroad, but personally I don't have that planned until March 2022.  It is this autumn we need to worry re booster jabs if the virus starts up again.

• Like 2

There is, again, some weird stuff going on in EU countries over the Oxford/Astrazenca vaccine, looking suspiciously coordinated. In the UK the incidence of blood clots after vaccination of the Oxford/Astra vaccine are almost an exact match for those of the Pfizer vaccine, and both are perhaps occurring at about one hundredth the rate in the normal population.

• Like 3

On 3/15/2021 at 2:10 PM, worldtraveller99 said:

I am not worried re the AZ jab (which I had) and am looking forward to my 2nd jab in May. I think in the UK we are cracking on, and look forward to hospitals being freed up to cure people with other illnesses. Then maybe we can travel abroad, but personally I don't have that planned until March 2022. 

Appreciate these great comments and follow-ups from worldtraveller99 and Silver Spectre about the U.K. and activities there.    

From the Wall Street Journal this afternoon, they had this headline: “Ticket? Passport? Add a Covid Vaccination Card to the List of Must-Have Travel Documents" with this sub-headline: "British Airways is offering to log passengers’ vaccination details to smooth international travel.”

Here are some of their story highlights: “The world’s airlines are betting on vaccinations to restart international travel.  Two of Europe’s biggest airlines, British Airways and budget carrier Ryanair, have started allowing fliers to provide Covid-19 vaccination and test-result details alongside personal data, like passport numbers and visa information, during bookings. The airlines say the move will eventually help passengers show they have been inoculated when landing at destinations.  Across the U.S., domestic travel is picking up amid stabilizing or falling Covid-19 cases and a relatively quick vaccination drive. That rebound isn’t yet happening with international traffic, where a patchwork of travel bans, quarantine rules and testing requirements have stymied cross-border flights.  U.S. domestic carriers have increased scheduled capacity by more than 50% between September and March, according to aviation analytics firm Cirium. Global capacity across all international routes, meanwhile, has increased just a little over 7%.  British Airways is moving at a time when its home market is benefiting from one of the world’s fastest vaccine rollouts. U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson last month laid out plans that could lead to the lifting of a monthslong ban on overseas travel in May.  On Wednesday, the European Union said it was introducing a vaccination 'passport' in both digital and paper form for EU citizens traveling within bloc. The document will carry Covid-19 health-related data including vaccination and test histories.  China on Tuesday said it was easing travel restrictions for vaccinated foreigners.  Carriers including Singapore Airlines, Emirates Airline and Qatar Airways have been working with the International Air Transport Association, an airline trade body, to test a so-called Travel Pass.”

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ticket-passport-add-a-covid-vaccination-card-to-the-list-of-must-have-travel-documents-11615973400

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 253,033 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

15 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

China on Tuesday said it was easing travel restrictions for vaccinated foreigners.

Terry, at first glance I was excited to see thus but when I looked for details, it seems fairly useless to me. We were supposed to go there for a tour last June and we would like to reschedule when they open.

They still won't issue tourist visas under these new "relaxed" requirements. And they are only relaxing the entry requirements for those vaccinated with a vaccine made in China. Those vaccinated with other vaccines are still subject to the same restrictions as previously. 

Wonder if it's a ploy to get more countries to approve their vaccines? From what I know, the big 4 vaccines are approved in many more countries than any of the Chinese vaccines.

9 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Terry, at first glance I was excited to see thus but when I looked for details, it seems fairly useless to me. We were supposed to go there for a tour last June and we would like to reschedule when they open.  They still won't issue tourist visas under these new "relaxed" requirements. And they are only relaxing the entry requirements for those vaccinated with a vaccine made in China. Those vaccinated with other vaccines are still subject to the same restrictions as previously.   Wonder if it's a ploy to get more countries to approve their vaccines? From what I know, the big 4 vaccines are approved in many more countries than any of the Chinese vaccines.

Appreciate these excellent comments and follow-up from J.P. about the vaccines from China.  Agree that it could be a "ploy" by China to push their vaccine and/or extend their international power/influence.  YES, checking the "details" makes a huge difference.  I am not as pessimistic as worldtraveller99, but agree that it is going to take time and patience for some type of world-wide recovery back closer to a form approaching "normal".  

From Bloomberg News and MSN today, they had this headline: “Cruises for Americans Are Coming Back—With or Without CDC Blessing” with these highlights: “Crystal Cruises is getting Americans back out on its luxury ships—with or without a green light from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  While most major cruise companies continue to wait for the government agency to establish guidelines for a safe return to sea, the two-ship Crystal, owned by Genting Hong Kong, is taking another route entirely. On Thursday it opened sales for 16 itineraries that sail exclusively around the Bahamas a week at a time, starting in July, allowing American travelers easy access while bypassing all U.S. restrictions.  The trips will only be made available to fully inoculated travelers, who must show their vaccine cards before boarding. They’ll sail from Nassau or Bimini to Great Exuma and several islands not typically frequented by cruise ships—all on the 980-passenger Crystal Serenity, known for such niceties as butler-serviced penthouse suites and complimentary Nobu sushi. Prices will start at $1,999 per person.”

We have done one previous sailing with Crystal and they have had a loyal group of past customers.  BUT, the finances for Crystal and their Asian parent/owner have been challenged in recent months.  Plus, for us, just sailing around to different second-tier islands in the Bahamas does not make it that attractive for our adventure/travel interests.  Sorry!  Other reactions and comments?

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/cruises-for-americans-are-coming-back-with-or-without-cdc-blessing/ar-BB1eIFGZ?ocid=BingNewsSearch

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 241,447 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tosteve1 said:

Celebrity announcing cruises from St.Maarten this summer. Vaccinated travelers over 18. PCR still required. I bet they will sell out!

WOW....I bet they will too!.....lots of people will just want to just get back on a ship, even if

they don't get off in any of those ports.

1 hour ago, tosteve1 said:

Celebrity announcing cruises from St.Maarten this summer. Vaccinated travelers over 18. PCR still required. I bet they will sell out!

The mandatory vax of the pax is a good thing.  The negative PCR is troubling.  You can test negative on Wednesday, and fly on Thursday and take your mask off in the airport and get infected on Thursday.  Showing the cruiseline your Wednesday negative test on Thursday or Friday is useless, you've been infected in the interim.  Rapid, daily testing is the only way to catch asymptomatic/ presymptomatic cases. 

They are going to have infections on-board.  As long as there are not any hospitalizations/deaths/severe cases, is that the goal?  Zero cases is surely not possible at this point.

In a "perfect" world.  It would be passengers 100% vaxxed. 

Daily 15 minute rapid testing. to catch any cases and then:

Treatment such as this ( carried onboard):

SaNOtize, alongside Ashford and St Peter’s Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and Berkshire and Surrey Pathology Services in the UK, have announced results of Phase II trials indicating that SaNOtize’s nasal spray represents a safe and powerful antiviral treatment that could prevent the transmission of Covid-19, shorten its duration, and reduce the severity of symptoms in those already infected.

In a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled Phase II trial that evaluated 79 confirmed cases of Covid-19, SaNOtize’s early treatment significantly decreased the level of SARS-CoV-2, including in patients with high viral loads infected by the concerning UK variant of Covid-19.

Patients treated with SaNOtize’s spray saw an average viral log reduction of 1.362 in the first 24 hours, which corresponds to a decline of around 95%. Within 72 hours the viral load plummeted by more than 99%. No adverse events were recorded in the UK trial nor in earlier Canadian trials that saw over 7,000 patients testing the self-administered treatment.

A self administered product vs monoclonal antibody treatment which requires IV in-patient.  

Edited by kimanjo
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tosteve1 said:

With due respect to Steve and Lois, I am not as confident that these new Caribbean summer cruise options will sell-out that quickly.  Agree, there is pent-up demand.  BUT, many, like us, prefer, new and/or interesting itineraries, etc.  Plus, many ships will limit their capacities to only 50% or 60% this summer.  And, some will want to wait till when things are loosened up about when and how masking and distancing rules are applied, where enforced, how shore excursions might work, etc.  Many key variables and factors!!!  

From the Wall Street Journal in a press release early this afternoon, they had this headline: “Royal Caribbean Marks 2021 Return To Caribbean With Cruises From The Bahamas” with these highlights: “This summer, travelers can trade in virtual travel experiences for their long-awaited vacations and cruise in The Bahamas and Mexico with Royal Caribbean International. The global cruise line has announced a summer lineup of 7-night cruises on board Adventure of the Seas, setting sail this June from new homeport Nassau, The Bahamas. Vacationers now have the chance to island-hop and relish the adventures they have missed, including the first series of two back-to-back days on Perfect Day at CocoCay, Royal Caribbean's game-changing private island destination in The Bahamas, and quality time exploring Grand Bahama Island, The Bahamas and Cozumel, Mexico.  Travelers looking ahead to their summer vacations can book their roundtrip cruise as soon as Wednesday, March 24 and set sail starting June 12. The new itineraries departing through August, which will sail with vaccinated crew, will be available to adult guests who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and those under the age of 18 with negative test results.”

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/royal-caribbean-marks-2021-return-to-caribbean-with-cruises-from-the-bahamas-01616170228?tesla=y

or:

www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/royal-caribbean-marks-2021-return-to-caribbean-with-cruises-from-the-bahamas-301251120

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 232,716 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

• Like 1

Terry, thanks for highlighting the various news sources. The last one about Royal Caribbean sailing with vaccinated crew is interesting - as the other cruise lines (Crystal, etc.) starting up in the Bahamas, haven’t committed to a vaccinated crew ... to the best of my knowledge.

18 hours ago, OceanPatter said:

Terry, thanks for highlighting the various news sources. The last one about Royal Caribbean sailing with vaccinated crew is interesting - as the other cruise lines (Crystal, etc.) starting up in the Bahamas, haven’t committed to a vaccinated crew ... to the best of my knowledge.

Appreciate the excellent comments and follow-ups from OceanPatter and Lois.  This below article gives more in-depth background as to the "play" happening now as the major cruise lines have become tired of waiting on the CDC to figure out what happens next.  BUT, in defense of the CDC, there are many, many "unknowns" out there that are hard to predict and anticipate.  Re-starting the cruise business is not as simple, quick and easy as turning on a light switch.  Very complicated and challenged process to start and run.      And, bad, bad if you need to shut down again due to the variants, testing errors, etc.  

From the respected Bloomberg News this morning, they had this headline: Cruising Plans Its Official Comeback for June" with this sub-headline: "Tired of waiting for the CDC, at least three major lines have found an alternative way forward.”

Here are some of their key story highlights: “On the heels of Crystal Cruises’ announcement this week that it would circumvent the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention by launching Bahamas-only trips this summer, two further lines will open itineraries in the Caribbean as soon as June.  The latest announcements came from Royal Caribbean International, which will sail a ship from Nassau, the Bahamas, to Cozumel, Mexico, and sister line Celebrity Cruises, which will explore southern Caribbean itineraries from Sint Maarten. Additional cruise lines are expected to follow with similar announcements in the coming days and weeks.  The North American restart is the most significant move yet for an ailing industry that has so far managed to resume business only with limited, regional cruises—including some trips that go nowhere at all—in select parts of Europe and Asia.  Unlike Crystal, which is requiring all passengers to be inoculated against Covid-19, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity will allow kids under 18 to board without proof of vaccine (for which they are not yet eligible), as long as they have undergone a negative PCR test.  Brands of the Royal Caribbean Group say all its crew members will have been vaccinated, a commitment Crystal Cruises has not yet been ready to make.”

Here is more from their reporting: "The availability of vaccinations was a key ingredient in Royal Caribbean’s decision to return, says Mark Tamis, the company’s senior vice president of hotel operations. 'For us, it's about taking a very measured approach of how we return to service,' he says.  Royal Caribbean said it would do a series of 12 weekly sailings on the mega ship Adventure of the Seas, which can carry 3,800 passengers at full capacity. The sailings will be round-trip from Nassau to Cozumel, with a stop in Freeport and two days at the cruise company’s own $200 million private Bahamas island, Perfect Day at CocoCay.  Beating its sister line by a week is Celebrity, which will sail its 2,220-passenger Celebrity Millennium round trip from Sint Maarten, from June 5 through August, alternating seven-night itineraries to Aruba, Curacao, and Barbados, or Tortola, St. Lucia, and Barbados."

Full story at:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-20/cruising-plans-its-official-comeback-for-june

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 89,769 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

As relates to these various, other somewhat related issues, the major headline in the Wall Street Journal this morning was "Tokyo Olympics to Bar Spectators From Overseas".  Oh, no Olympic tourists this summer??!!  That is kind of major and significant?

Then, the WSJ had this headline: Europe’s Gang That Couldn’t Shot Straight" with this sub-headline: "A string of vaccine bungles on the Continent threatens health and the global economy on one of their editorials.

Here are some of their opinion highlights: “It’s hard to think of a recent fiasco that can match the European Union’s Covid vaccine rollout. Protectionism, mercantilism, bureaucratic ineptitude, lack of political accountability, crippling safety-ism—it’s all here. The Keystone Kops in Brussels and European capitals would be funny if the consequences weren’t so serious.  But hospitalizations and deaths are rising again in Italy, Germany and France while successful vaccinations suppress illness and fatalities in the U.S., United Kingdom and Israel. To date the U.S. has administered 34 doses per 100 residents, the U.K. has jabbed 40, and Israel has 111. Most vaccines require two doses. Compare that to about 12 in France, Germany and Italy.  As the pandemic moves into its reopening phase, Europe’s mistakes will cost the rest of the world economically as the Continent struggles to exit lockdowns.  Take the latest fumble first. Various European regulators and politicians spent this week claiming the Oxford/ AstraZeneca vaccine—the only one currently widely available in the EU—might be unsafe, only to rethink and now beg people to start accepting it.”

Are these comments and this background fair or unfair?  For many cruise lines, including Silversea, some of these E.U. countries are not the biggest groups of customers.  My experience has been the U.S. and U.K. are Silversea's two biggest customer group.  BUT, in doing flights, making connections, completing port stops, etc., with these major Europe countries being challenged, makes it harder for the cruise lines to head to some form starting to look like "normal".  Right? 

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/europes-gang-that-couldnt-shot-straight-11616193641?mod=hp_opin_pos_2

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 68,211 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Here are some of their opinion highlights: “It’s hard to think of a recent fiasco that can match the European Union’s Covid vaccine rollout. Protectionism, mercantilism, bureaucratic ineptitude, lack of political accountability, crippling safety-ism—it’s all here. The Keystone Kops in Brussels and European capitals would be funny if the consequences weren’t so serious.  But hospitalizations and deaths are rising again in Italy, Germany and France while successful vaccinations suppress illness and fatalities in the U.S., United Kingdom and Israel. To date the U.S. has administered 34 doses per 100 residents, the U.K. has jabbed 40, and Israel has 111. Most vaccines require two doses. Compare that to about 12 in France, Germany and Italy.  As the pandemic moves into its reopening phase, Europe’s mistakes will cost the rest of the world economically as the Continent struggles to exit lockdowns.  Take the latest fumble first. Various European regulators and politicians spent this week claiming the Oxford/ AstraZeneca vaccine—the only one currently widely available in the EU—might be unsafe, only to rethink and now beg people to start accepting it.”

Are these comments and this background fair or unfair? 

Pretty much spot on.

This is what happens when unelected political failures are appointed to roles with power. It’s so bad that some are calling for Jean-Claude Drunker to return and sort the mess out.

• Like 1

To supplement the excellent account from TLCOhio ..I posted what follows on the Crystal board a little earlier where there appears to be some optimism from people that they will be cruising around Europe this Autumn (Fall). 

Whilst I genuinely hope that I am wrong I do think that their optimism is misplaced !

===============================================================================

There appears to be some optimism on this thread with regard to Europe being open for cruising this Autumn (Fall).

Not wishing to 'rain on your parade' but in the past couple of weeks things are suddenly not looking good at all in much of mainland Europe.

The trends are reversing with talk of a 'third wave' emerging in the larger countries such as France, Germany, Italy etc. Many of these countries that have previously relaxed restrictions are going back into lockdown for a third time.

In addition the vaccination programme in the EU is in turmoil with an average of only 10% of the population who have had the jab thus far. 

In conclusion I personally would be very pessimistic that much of Europe will be open for leisure travel in 5 months time (I for one yesterday cancelled a trip to Germany that was due for September).

Take a look at this BBC page, particularly the individual country graphs 3/4 the way down the page.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51235105

Of course I hope i'm wrong with my 'doom and gloom' predictions !!          

2 hours ago, machotspur said:

To supplement the excellent account from TLCOhio ..I posted what follows on the Crystal board a little earlier where there appears to be some optimism from people that they will be cruising around Europe this Autumn (Fall). 

Whilst I genuinely hope that I am wrong I do think that their optimism is misplaced !

===============================================================================

There appears to be some optimism on this thread with regard to Europe being open for cruising this Autumn (Fall).

Not wishing to 'rain on your parade' but in the past couple of weeks things are suddenly not looking good at all in much of mainland Europe.

The trends are reversing with talk of a 'third wave' emerging in the larger countries such as France, Germany, Italy etc. Many of these countries that have previously relaxed restrictions are going back into lockdown for a third time.

In addition the vaccination programme in the EU is in turmoil with an average of only 10% of the population who have had the jab thus far. 

In conclusion I personally would be very pessimistic that much of Europe will be open for leisure travel in 5 months time (I for one yesterday cancelled a trip to Germany that was due for September).

Take a look at this BBC page, particularly the individual country graphs 3/4 the way down the page.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51235105

Of course I hope i'm wrong with my 'doom and gloom' predictions !!          

Certainly tonight’s news out of Europe was not encouraging.  Hopefully the quick shutdowns there will stop or limit another wave.