SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

12 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I'm sorry that it didn't come through clearly enough, but my post was entirely satirical. 🙂

I actually have no idea the features and amenities of the new ships; I was just poking fun at how all the marketing could be about safety from COVID, with health care replacing the normal hype about the bedding, soaps, dining and other luxury accoutrements of Silversea cruising. 

Hi Cruisjeej,  Most of the your satire was picked up.  I thought my "wow" set the satirical tone for the rest of my post.  We are just being too subtle.  The problem is most people, myself included, are looking for any sign, that solutions going in the right direction are actual being developed.  Cruisers looking for hope, for actions that might bring closer the possibility of getting back to sea, even if the suggestions are somewhat off the wall.  I think we are all at the point of utter exasperation and exhaustion.   That collectively anyone paying really close attention to the problems entailed in going forward simply cannot see away to do so.  When a reasoned well intentioned idea is put forward, the problems with it are immediately, with thought and good intentions, are  pointed out and shot down.  I know because I have been on both sides of this, I posted what I thought were good ideas only to see them go down in flames.   think Terry, Stumblefoot and many others here should be praised for wrestling with this at length almost everyday.  I am so frustrated by not being able to come up with solutions that have any promise of working.  I am almost to the point of just stopping to try.  This of course gets us all to a very dark place, that the cruise industry as we know it, which we all love and feel strongly about otherwise we wouldn't be here trying, is over, for the foreseeable future.   At this moment in time, realistically I do not see a way forward.  I hated to write that,  

51 minutes ago, chrism23 said:

I am so frustrated by not being able to come up with solutions that have any promise of working.  I am almost to the point of just stopping to try.  This of course gets us all to a very dark place, that the cruise industry as we know it, which we all love and feel strongly about otherwise we wouldn't be here trying, is over, for the foreseeable future.   At this moment in time, realistically I do not see a way forward.  I hated to write that,  

Personally, I do see a path forward.  Go back to my first post on May 2 with the various specifics outlined at that time.  The problem/challenge??  It is going to take much longer to get it "ALL" done and accomplished!  The "ramp up" and process will be more narrowly focused and spread out over a longer time line  Some cruise lines will drop out during the recovery.  That's my view right now.  The "FUTURE" will be there.  Just, it is that the timing is in question as to exactly when and how. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 240,311 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

7 hours ago, seaquay said:

As Cunard are owned by Carnival Lines I wonder if this delay in sailing will be extended to other parts of the company.

Agree 100% with the above wise comment.  Cunard did not take this action without the top bosses at the parent Carnival knowing and approving.  As the old saying goes, "more shoes will be dropping" in the coming weeks.  Unless there are great positives resulting from the re-starts of cruising in Europe, there will be more late 2020 and early 2021 cancellations.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 230,858 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

8 hours ago, seaquay said:

As Cunard are owned by Carnival Lines I wonder if this delay in sailing will be extended to other parts of the company.

I think it was the Carnival CEO who said that 2021 will not be a full return of cruising as we knew it.   I haven’t tried to find his statement but as I recall he said it would be a slow start up.  Main issues were passenger and crew safety and how they might accomplish that with testing, distancing, cleaning, reduced passenger load capacity, etc.  He also pointed out that they have to see what restrictions countries are going to put in place and how they will have to build reasonable itineraries around those restrictions.   For sure Holland America, part of the Carnival family, just by offloading four ships has cut their number of available cruise days by 30%.   

2 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

I think it was the Carnival CEO who said that 2021 will not be a full return of cruising as we knew it.   I haven’t tried to find his statement but as I recall he said it would be a slow start up.  Main issues were passenger and crew safety and how they might accomplish that with testing, distancing, cleaning, reduced passenger load capacity, etc.  He also pointed out that they have to see what restrictions countries are going to put in place and how they will have to build reasonable itineraries around those restrictions.   For sure Holland America, part of the Carnival family, just by offloading four ships has cut their number of available cruise days by 30%.   

Agree with Randy's above comment and very good follow-up.  As I recall their CEO had said and I posted earlier here about that statement by him as to how it would be a slow re-start.  For many practical reasons, it takes serious time to ramp up, get the gang/crew back together, selling new bookings, training for new processes, etc.    

From CNN news yesterday,  they had this headline: Cruise trips are back. This is what they look like now" with these story highlights: "Boarding in the Italian port of Genoa for a seven-day Mediterranean cruise, Valeria Belardi prepared for a voyage like no other.
Belardi was one of some 3,000 pioneering cruisers on board MSC Grandiosa, the first cruise liner to return to the Mediterranean  The voyage was characterized by Covid testing, social distancing, hand sanitizing and temperature checks, but it was, Belardi told CNN, also relaxing and enjoyable.  
MSC Cruises wouldn't confirm exact numbers, but the Grandiosa was operating at about 60% of its 6,300 passenger capacity.  There were day trips, including sightseeing in the Maltese capital Valletta and the Sicilian city of Palermo. While on board, Belardi enjoyed pre-packaged snacks on the deck, relaxing evenings by the pool and a trip to the spa.   But MSC Grandiosa is almost alone in its return to the high seas.   The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has extended a no-sail order effectively banning cruising around American waters until at least September 2020.  Major operators, including Princess Cruises, have also canceled sailings in regions outside the United States, including Asia, the Caribbean, South America and Antarctica, until mid-December.  Smaller cruise lines across Europe have restarted operations, with varying results.  Following its successful first voyage, MSC Grandiosa departed on August 23 for a second cruise, stopping off at the Greek ports of Corfu, Katakolon and Piraeus.  Before boarding, MSC Cruises passengers were tested for Covid-19 via a primary antigen test and a secondary molecular test.  MSC Cruises representative Luca Biondolillo told CNN that one embarking passenger tested positive at both stages."  This CNN in its reporting

From the MSN news this morning, they had this headline: “A third Carnival Cruise Line ship appears headed for the scrappers” with these highlights: “It looks like a third Carnival Cruise Line ship is headed for the scrappers.  The 2,056-passenger Carnival Imagination has filed a voyage plan for Aliaga, Turkey, the site of a major ship scrapping operation that has become the final resting place for such notable vessels as Princess Cruises‘ Pacific Princess — the original 'Love Boat.' ”

Full stories at:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/future-of-cruising-coronavirus/index.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/a-third-carnival-cruise-line-ship-appears-headed-for-the-scrappers/ar-BB18ow8N

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 88,542 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

50 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

From the MSN news this morning, they had this headline: “A third Carnival Cruise Line ship appears headed for the scrappers” with these highlights: “It looks like a third Carnival Cruise Line ship is headed for the scrappers.  The 2,056-passenger Carnival Imagination has filed a voyage plan for Aliaga, Turkey, the site of a major ship scrapping operation that has become the final resting place for such notable vessels as Princess Cruises‘ Pacific Princess — the original 'Love Boat.' ”

I'm not a fan of Carnival, but it is sad to see so many ships going to scrap......   and likely there will be more to come. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crusinbanjo said:

I'm not a fan of Carnival, but it is sad to see so many ships going to scrap......   and likely there will be more to come. 

We only cruised in Carnival once and that was on the Carnival Fantasy in 1993.  The Fantasy was okay but what we really liked was cruising so Carnival gets credit for that so a bit sad to see the Fantasy scrapped.  We cruised with Holland America for the next 19 years until a bit of a fluke situation and a growing dissatisfaction with Holland America opened us to Silversea in 2012.   Ten cruises later we are hooked.   Because of  my wife’s post graduate studies we can’t cruise until late 2021 and hopefully this horrible virus will be a memory by then.  

2 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

We only cruised in Carnival once and that was on the Carnival Fantasy in 1993.  The Fantasy was okay but what we really liked was cruising so Carnival gets credit for that so a bit sad to see the Fantasy scrapped.  We cruised with Holland America for the next 19 years until a bit of a fluke situation and a growing dissatisfaction with Holland America opened us to Silversea in 2012.   Ten cruises later we are hooked.   Because of  my wife’s post graduate studies we can’t cruise until late 2021 and hopefully this horrible virus will be a memory by then.  

Mrs Banjo and I started off with Princess in 1990, and were introduced to SS when they had only the Wind and the Cloud,  we still used Princess, and Holland America occasionally, also Regent and Seabourn.  We are hooked on the luxury lines for sure,  but hate to think the industry May fail.

Well, it tells you how long Carnival has been around LOL....I sailed with them back in 1992.....it was a family cruise

for my parents 50th Anniversary on the "CARNIVALE" and there were 9 of us.  My mother had cancer at the time

but the Dr said it would be ok for her to do this trip.......it was in Oct 1992.......she passed away 4 months later so it 

was a bittersweet trip for all of us.

12 hours ago, Lois R said:

Well, it tells you how long Carnival has been around LOL....I sailed with them back in 1992.....it was a family cruise for my parents 50th Anniversary on the "CARNIVALE" and there were 9 of us.  My mother had cancer at the time but the Dr said it would be ok for her to do this trip.......it was in Oct 1992.......she passed away 4 months later so it was a bittersweet trip for all of us.

Appreciate these excellent follow-ups from Lois, crusinbanjo, Randy, etc.  While we have never done Carnival, we have sailed Princess once and Celebrity twice that worked out "OK".  Personally, having also used Seabourn, Crystal and Silversea, we much prefer the smaller, more "personal" cruising experience.  The "mass" and large-scale approach of Carnival, etc., does not appeal to us. Exact opposite!!

From the New York Times Travel Section this morning, they had this headline: “Move Over, Sustainable Travel. Regenerative Travel Has Arrived.” with these highlights relating to the certain interesting economic factors involved: “Tourism, which grew faster than the global gross domestic product for the past nine years, has been decimated by the pandemic. Once accounting for 10 percent of employment worldwide, the sector is poised to shed 121 million jobs, with losses projected at a minimum of $3.4 trillion, according to the World Travel & Tourism Council.  But in the lull, some in the tourism industry are planning for a post-vaccine return to travel that’s better than it was before March 2020 — greener, smarter and less crowded. If sustainable tourism, which aims to counterbalance the social and environmental impacts associated with travel, was the aspirational outer limit of ecotourism before the pandemic, the new frontier is 'regenerative travel,' or leaving a place better than you found it.  Regenerative travel has its roots in regenerative development and design, which includes buildings that meet the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design or LEED standards. The concept has applications across many fields, including regenerative agriculture, which aims to restore soils and sequester carbon.”.  

We'll see if and how those "GREEN" tourism hopes and predictions actually work and play out in reality and fact.  Maybe, if and if??!!  Am I too skeptical and doubtful??

From a news source in Malaysia this morning about the owner of luxury Crystal Cruises, they had this headline: “GENTING HK’S CURRENTLY RM8.4BIL IN DEBT AND CAN’T REPAY IT. IS GENTING GONNA COLLAPSE?” with these story highlights: “One can describe the aCovid-19 pandemic that’s caught the world by surprise in numerous ways. You can call it a 'wake-up call‘. You can call it ‘unprecedented‘. You can call it ‘terrifying‘. But in terms of the economic impact, some have even called it ‘worse than the 1997 financial crisis‘. As a tourism hotspot, it’ll probably come to no surprise that a large company like Genting Group would be negatively affected by Covid-19 as well, what without  the lack of customers and the cut off of revenues. In May this year, Genting reportedly suffered a loss of approximately RM133million in the first quarter.  It doesn’t seem that Genting will be recovering anytime soon, because Genting Hong Kong’s borrowed a lot of money and now can’t pay them back. Genting Group isn’t solely stationed in Malaysia, as it has a number of holdings across the world, such as Australia, Singapore, Philippines, the United Kingdom, and Hong Kong. And in Hong Kong, Genting mainly operates luxury cruiselines, mainly Star Cruises, Dream Cruises, and Crystal Cruises."

Anyone have money or deposits now being held by Crystal Cruises?  Personally, I would not want those worries as to whether Crystal will be able to make refunds, be sailing in the future, etc. 

Full stories at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/27/travel/travel-future-coronavirus-sustainable.html

https://cilisos.my/genting-hks-currently-rm8-4bil-in-debt-and-cant-repay-it-is-genting-gonna-collapse/

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 67,353 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Terry, I love the smaller ships too. But back then? My family did not cruise for vacation.  Who knew about cruising?

Not us LOL.... and this was a gift from my folks to us......they treated us all to this trip......that was a BIG splurge.

And that was 28 years ago!  Jacksonville is 2 hours from Pt. Canaveral and we took a bus from here to the ship.

I think it was like "cruise connections" or something like that.   I do remember we had a really good time

though.......I think the cabins were teeney......and for some reason I remember the food was pretty good.  And my

Mom? Well, she had a blast.......she sang in the passenger talent show and they had some kind of game that was

like a horse race (not with a horse LOL).......and she was in it........the memories we have of some things are quite

funny sometimes.🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Terry, I love the smaller ships too. But back then? My family did not cruise for vacation.  Who knew about cruising?  Not us LOL.... and this was a gift from my folks to us ...... they treated us all to this trip......that was a BIG splurge. And that was 28 years ago! 

Appreciate Lois' great follow-up and added personal travel history. Our first cruise was 2006 doing Athens to Istanbul with Seabourn on a ship with less than 200 passengers.  WOW!!  Heavenly!!!  That first sailing experience was so good that I could feel depression starting to set-in at the end of this incredible cruise.  BUT, fortunately, we had two full days with a private guide in Istanbul and five days in London to pump me back up after the end of this first cruise.  Super memories.  

From the Wall Street Journal's top travel expert yesterday, they had this headline for his column: Is Travel Insurance Still Worth It? with this sub-head: "The impact of Covid-19 isn’t a covered peril in most policies and insurers often deny cancellation claims

Here some of his key highlights: “Travelers buy travel insurance to protect against the unforeseen.  Yet many have seen claims denied for trips canceled by the coronavirus pandemic because, well, the pandemic was unforeseen in policies. Basic travel insurance policies either have exclusions for a pandemic or don’t list that as a 'covered reason,’  insurance companies say. The policies typically do cover you if you contract the virus, get sick and can’t travel. But short of that, there is little or no coverage for many. Insurers say the impact of the pandemic isn’t a covered peril in most policies; neither is fear of the virus.  'This kind of event seemed to be the perfect kind of event that travel insurance should cover, but it wasn’t designed to handle that,' says Stan Sandberg, co-founder of TravelInsurance.com, a comparison site that sells travel-insurance plans. It is a cautionary reminder that travel insurance covers you for a specific set of unforeseen events, he says.”

Be careful.  Check and re-check your travel insurance details and specific coverages.  Don't just assume, wish and hope!!??

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/insurers-often-deny-claims-for-pandemic-related-trip-cancellations-11598446800

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 50,049 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Terry ...great reminiscing in these sad cruising times.Our first Cruise was on Sun Princess in 1998 thought it was very good until we tried a cruise on the Silver Cloud In 1999 from Bali to Sydney after a friends recommendation.We loved the small ships only 290 passengers and the Silversea fleet in 1999 was Cloud and Wind only.Never been on another line since and the largest SS we have travelled on were the Shadow and Whisper for our annual cruising with SS.Dare not try the subsequent larger ships that have been added to the fleet but may have to as we do not fancy Expedition cruising amongst icebergs which is what the two small ships that SS started with in 1994 now seem to be doing. Purely a personal view of so many happy memories of SS every year since we were recommended to try them .Lets hope the fleet return soon when it is once again safe to travel the World in luxury.Mid 2021 is my wish but this is based upon hope rather than facts.

Good Morning Brimary - Hope you are both well and managing to survive without Cruising !!! - its very difficult from our perspective but there are many worse off than us.

We started Cruising on Cunard on the great Ships Vistafjord & Sagafjord in the 1990s and found Silversea in 2000 when we travelled with Capt Arma ( his first Sailing as Staff Capt ) from Singapore to Dubai - it was magical with many Sea Days and a great Guest/Crew complement. This started our love affair with Silversea and we are still great Fans albeit we do not always agree with some of their Marketing decisions !!!.

We hope that we can return to our ' Home at Sea ' before too long to meet more great Crew & Guests - Lets also hope that we can also revive the ' Early (ish for me ) Pool Swims which we enjoyed so much.

Greetings Mayflower.More memories re the early morning swims,7.30 am were the wife’s instructions but my recollection is more of sitting in the Jacuzzi watching her swim! Hope we meet up again when normality returns to our favourite SS.Hope you are all keeping well .

3 hours ago, Mayflower1 said:

We started Cruising on Cunard on the great Ships Vistafjord & Sagafjord in the 1990s and found Silversea in 2000 when we travelled with Capt Arma ( his first Sailing as Staff Capt ) from Singapore to Dubai - it was magical with many Sea Days and a great Guest/Crew complement. This started our love affair with Silversea and we are still great Fans albeit we do not always agree with some of their Marketing decisions !!!.

Great recollections and memories from both Mayflower1 and brimary.   During these challenging times, it is wonderful to go back in history to recall those earlier days and such fun experiences  

From an affiliate of the Wall Street Journal yesterday, they had this headline: “Cruise operators took a deep bruising from COVID-19, but history says they will recover centered around this key point/hope: "a loyal fan base has a short memory".

Here are some of the story highlights: “The cruise industry was among the industries rocked hardest by the COVID-19 pandemic, with many fearing the virus could leave a permanent bruise on a sector with a history of onboard illness outbreaks. But it’s exactly that history that suggests this time won’t be different, and cruising will eventually flourish again. Cruise operators have a number of variables to worry about during non-outbreak periods, including fuel costs, weather, the economic cycle, fluctuations in foreign currency rates, foreign port availability, the limited number of usable shipyards, and regulatory restrictions. Throw in a disease outbreak, much less a global pandemic, and it’s easy to question why anyone would get into the business. What has been demonstrated time and time again, from various outbreaks and epidemics, is that people have a short memory.  Take 2019 as an example. Even after a year that saw a shipyard accident that reduced the earnings outlook, a gastroenteritis outbreak, a ban on cruises to Cuba, worries of rising fuel costs after an attack on a Middle East oil refinery and a negative earnings effect because of Hurricane Dorian, Royal Caribbean’s stock still managed to reach a record close on Jan. 17.”

Here is more of the background that this analysis cites: "This difficulty in running the business can be viewed as a positive, because it raises the barriers to entry. But more important, like the hotel industry, cruising satisfies a couple of basic human wants, to be social and to get away, and it does both at the same time. This not only encourages customers to forget outbreaks, it also makes them very loyal.  Despite all this concern and uncertainty, the customers remain loyal. Royal Caribbean has said bookings for 2021 are 'trending well,' and are within historical ranges, and Carnival said it 'continues to see demand for new bookings for 2021,' despite a substantial reduction in marketing.  Cruise companies are considering many changes in how passengers are boarded and to the onboard experience, to make their guests feel safer. Dr. Andrew Coggins, Jr., a professor at Pace University’s Lubin School of Business, said cruises will be cleaning more, reducing capacity, spacing out the restaurant, beefing up the filtration systems and using ultraviolet cleaning tools. Another way to reduce the risk is to use technology to help disperse people throughout the ship, even before they gather. Nadir Ali, CEO of Inpixon, an indoor intelligence company, is working with cruises and hotels to do just that." 

Full story at:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cruise-operators-took-a-deep-bruising-from-covid-19-but-history-says-they-will-recover-2020-08-28?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D33151612543613868540432315688083254519|MCORGID%3DCB68E4BA55144CAA0A4C98A5%40AdobeOrg|TS%3D1598639830

Kotor/Montenegro:  Exciting visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 47,812 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

From the Miami Herald yesterday, they had this headline: “DeSantis says air travel is safe from COVID-19, but expert warns of danger in airports where "evidence shows planes are not vectors for the airborne disease."

However this article provides more details as related to the actual airport before we would get on an airplane flight. Here are some story highlights: Governor DeSantis said he was trying to ease people’s fears about flying, which have caused millions to stop flying into Florida, crushing its tourism-dependent economy. From March through June, the number of people flying into the state fell by nearly two-thirds compared to the year before, from more than 24 million passengers to 8.8 million. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that air travel does increase a person’s risk of getting COVID-19 because of time in security lines and airport terminalsBut since March, many studies have concluded that flying itself is a relatively low-risk activity, as long as stringent safety measures such as spacing and masking are followed while on the plane. Those studies are largely contained to studying transmission inside the flight vessel itself, where air is typically refreshed every two to four minutes, a much higher rate than hospitals or office buildings. 

Pedestrian traffic in airports, on the other hand, can funnel people through hallways, jetways, and metal detectors.

Full story at:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article245333475.html

Dubrovnik!  Nice visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this super scenic location. Over 47,453 views.    

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Good morning........Terry, thanks for the article.

Of course tourism has decreased here in the state......what did he expect?😮......over 11,000 deaths and 600,000

confirmed cases. Give me a break.  I live here---if I didn't, I don't know if I would be rushing to visit here either!

14 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning........Terry, thanks for the article.   Of course tourism has decreased here in the state......what did he expect?😮......over 11,000 deaths and 600,000 confirmed cases. Give me a break.  I live here---if I didn't, I don't know if I would be rushing to visit here either!

Agree with Lois!  The state of Florida has had its serious challenges during this Covid-19 situation.  But, what about for Europe that had thought that is was recovered and out of the danger zone??  See below!  Not good news.   

From the San Francisco newspaper via the Washington Post reporting, they had this headline: Case numbers rise again in Europe but with fewer deaths” with these highlights: “Coronavirus cases are surging again in Europe after months of relative calm, but the second wave looks different from the first: Fewer people are dying, and the newest and mostly younger victims of the pandemic need less medical treatment.  Unlike the initial hit of the pandemic this spring, which overwhelmed hospitals and turned nursing homes into grim mortuaries, the European resurgence of recent weeks has not forced as many people into medical wards. And with almost every European country planning a return to in-person schooling, many starting next week, public health officials are holding their breath for the impact. Many countries, including Italy, endured grinding lockdowns this spring. But the increase is widespread, and it is unsettling societies that had hoped the worst was behind them. Now citizens are exhausted, and economies are still flagging. Italy was ravaged by the virus in the spring. And now it is seeing something of a resurgence. On Thursday, it reported 1,469 new cases, the biggest increase in a 24-hour period since it was emerging from lockdown in early May.  With summer fading into fall, questions remain about how long the virus can spread among younger people before it spreads to more vulnerable older generations.”

Full story at:

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Case-numbers-rise-again-in-Europe-15522078.php

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 36,185 views.
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

If you want a little positive and optimistic look ahead, you might like this below summary from a respected national travel columnist.  

From Forbes magazine this morning by Christopher Elliott, they had this headline: “If 2021 Becomes The Year Of Travel, This Is What Will Happen” with these highlights: “If 2020 is the lost year for travel, will 2021 be the year of recovery?  And if it is, what does that mean for you?  'I want to travel as much as I can,' says Gregg Jaden, a photographer based in Manhattan Beach, Calif. 'I will be spending more time in Indonesia, Vietnam and Thailand to make up for lost time.'  Travel agents see the same level of enthusiasm. Says James Ferrara, president of InteleTravel. 'We measure actual future bookings, which have been very strong.'   Many signs point to a quick rebound for travel in 2021. That's because people will be making up for missed travel in 2020 and trying to use their travel vouchers, which expire soon. Travelers will have to time their trips carefully.  There's a lot of evidence of travel intent. Over the last four weeks, Skyscanner.com has seen a 368% jump in searches for international destinations for travel in January. Its data suggests this growing consumer confidence continues, with searches for travel in July, rising by 94%. No one knows the future, of course. It depends on how soon a vaccine becomes available and how quickly the number of COVID cases declines.  But when does that happen? Will the lost year extend into the first half of 2021 — or later? Or could travelers start making plans as early as this fall?  Timing is everything. Especially now.  Here's the dilemma: Book a vacation too soon, and you could get stuck in the predicted second wave of the pandemic (unless this summer was the second wave).  Wait too long, and you could pay more — maybe much more — for your vacation and get stuck in a crowd.”

TIMING??!!  That's the key question and challenge.  Other reactions and comments??

Full story at:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherelliott/2020/08/29/if-2021-becomes-the-year-of-travel-this-is-what-will-happen/#1d4e24a732d6

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 31,059 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

The main trouble with Europe for the cruising industry is that many of the countries have different regulations re admissions and quarantine requirements.Must be a nightmare for the team at a cruise line who have responsibilities for producing itineraries for 2021/2022 particularly when the date to resume sailing is forever moving further away.We live in hope rather than reality that we may be able to cruise on SS again in 2022.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brimary said:

The main trouble with Europe for the cruising industry is that many of the countries have different regulations re admissions and quarantine requirements.Must be a nightmare for the team at a cruise line who have responsibilities for producing itineraries for 2021/2022 particularly when the date to resume sailing is forever moving further away.We live in hope rather than reality that we may be able to cruise on SS again in 2022.

And reports are that CV-19 cases are rising again in Europe... Hoping round 2 is much milder than the first go around.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brimary said:

The main trouble with Europe for the cruising industry is that many of the countries have different regulations re admissions and quarantine requirements. Must be a nightmare for the team at a cruise line who have responsibilities for producing itineraries for 2021/2022 particularly when the date to resume sailing is forever moving further away.We live in hope rather than reality that we may be able to cruise on SS again in 2022.

Great follow-ups from brimary and crusinbanjo.  Agree that the "complications" now happening in Europe are being felt in the U.S. as the government officials and cruise company executive consider their future timings and options.  

From USA Today this afternoon, they had this headline to underscore those Europe challenges: “AIDA Cruises pushes back planned restart, will not sail until November with these highlights: “German line AIDA Cruises, a subsidiary of cruise giant Carnival Corp., has pushed back its restart date to Nov. 1. The cruise line canceled its previously scheduled September and October cruises and has updated its schedule for fall and winter, according to a release provided by Roger Frizzell, spokesperson for Carnival Corp. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, 'the conditions are currently not in place' to sail again in Germany's neighboring countries, the line said, referencing Norway, Denmark and the Baltic States specifically. Additionally, the line said, Germany has issued travel warnings for some other countries while others have closed ports to cruise ships until 2021. The line has also canceled all of its long-distance cruises for fall and winter.”

Full story at:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/08/28/aida-cruises-cancels-european-cruises-through-november/5656725002/

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 30,059 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580