Is there a group?

MrsTocko

Hi All - 

We are in serious need of help...we're addicted...to cruising.  About to book our next cruise....This will put us at 3 cruises booked at once (Nov 2020, July 2021, July 2022 and my head is planning the Nov 2022 cruise as well)....what is wrong with us?🤣🤣🤣🤣

In all seriousness - we cant wait to get back to cruising, and this next one im booking will be our 10th anniversary cruise, and a couple bucket list items.  We are very excited.  Im trying to be patient and let me PCC return my call, because she is wonderful...but now that we have decided, I want to get it BOOKED....THEN i can relax about it, and start my research, what to do, where to go, make sure pre-cruise hotel/transportation is booked. As well as post cruise hotel.

Just switched to an online HR Platform at work...I think I am going to do put my request in now....do you think it is too soon for July 2022?  and I might as well do the Nov 2022 request as well while I'm at it dont you think?

Happy cruising

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, MrsTocko said:

Hi All - 

We are in serious need of help...we're addicted...to cruising.  About to book our next cruise....This will put us at 3 cruises booked at once (Nov 2020, July 2021, July 2022 and my head is planning the Nov 2022 cruise as well)....what is wrong with us?🤣🤣🤣🤣

In all seriousness - we cant wait to get back to cruising, and this next one im booking will be our 10th anniversary cruise, and a couple bucket list items.  We are very excited.  Im trying to be patient and let me PCC return my call, because she is wonderful...but now that we have decided, I want to get it BOOKED....THEN i can relax about it, and start my research, what to do, where to go, make sure pre-cruise hotel/transportation is booked. As well as post cruise hotel.

Just switched to an online HR Platform at work...I think I am going to do put my request in now....do you think it is too soon for July 2022?  and I might as well do the Nov 2022 request as well while I'm at it dont you think?

Happy cruising

I agree that the research and planning can be enjoyable. It also helps me to have a goal, or future adventure to look forward towards, while I'm in quarantine and getting a little cabin crazy. I'm lucky if I'm allowed out once every two weeks to drive through the Post Office to drop off bills in the parking lot box...

Keep safe, keep sane, and help out in whatever capacity you are able. 

1 minute ago, okpaddy said:

I agree that the research and planning can be enjoyable. It also helps me to have a goal, or future adventure to look forward towards, while I'm in quarantine

Totally agree.  I love planning almost as much as I love traveling.  My husband says I could get a job as a tour guide in places I haven't even been to yet!  But in the current environment I will plan trip(s) down to the last detail, lay them all out on paper, BUT not book anything unless it is no money up front (tours/hotels) or a very small refundable deposit (cruises).  Lots of travel related companies could go bankrupt in the immediate future.  Planning is fun.  Losing money is not fun.  My current strategy is to have several trips completely mapped out so that I can jump on deals without needing time to research things.  I'll pull out my itinerary, make the phone calls and go.  Planning costs nothing and it cheers me up.  If this keeps up much longer, of course, we will need some kind of support group. 

Thank heavens, I have found my people! I too live for the planning and my husband fondly refers to me as his personal travel agent! I spent 10 months planning our April Transatlantic cruise which, of course, was canceled. As disappointed as I was, I still enjoyed every minute of my research and planning. We have a Canada/New England cruise booked for September and Panama Canal booked for January. There's no doubt the September cruise will be canceled, but have my fingers crossed for the January cruise. In the meantime, I take solace in my happy little world of planning the next trip! 

• Like 2

I spend hours reading reviews and watching youtube videos before we embark...all in the name of research.  DH has often remarked that we don't really need to go on the cruise because of all the time I spend virtually preparing...he's wrong, of course!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I research like crazy, so we can be "spontaneous".  so I look up any special events or things to do in whatever port we start from (we arrive at least the day before), so i have a list of things that might interest us and then we can decide what we want to do.  I research the airports (if I am unfamiliar with them).  I start tracking "our" flights arrival and departures for about a month before our actual flight.  See what gate we fly into (usually the same 2 or 3 gates), what gate our connecting flight (if we have one) flies out of.  Look at the terminal maps, figure out how to collect our luggage, catch transportation to hotel, what restaurants are around hotel, what is in walking distance...how are we going to get to the port for embarkation...I try to commit this stuff to memory, so we can travel without...getting lost.  Yes, we have smart phones, but my husband lacks patience for such things, or for asking directions. as our getting lost in london attested to, when our phones died, and it was dark, and if he had waited the 2 minutes (if that) that I needed before my phone died to figure out where we were and where we needed to be, we would have been at the hotel 5 minutes later vs. the 45 minute detour he led us on...just saying..

ok - now i really need to get back to work...

There is no hope for you. No cure for the addition.  Just know there are others like you with the same issue.   23 cruises ago, I took our first one just to try it.  However, for now, I'm not booking at all until I see where this finally settles.  I need for it to once again be the happy wonderful experience they have all been before.  We were fortunate to have finished our last one in late Feb, just before it all came to an end.  

Edited by roger001

3 hours ago, MrsTocko said:

I research like crazy, so we can be "spontaneous".  so I look up any special events or things to do in whatever port we start from (we arrive at least the day before), so i have a list of things that might interest us and then we can decide what we want to do.  I research the airports (if I am unfamiliar with them).  I start tracking "our" flights arrival and departures for about a month before our actual flight.  See what gate we fly into (usually the same 2 or 3 gates), what gate our connecting flight (if we have one) flies out of.  Look at the terminal maps, figure out how to collect our luggage, catch transportation to hotel, what restaurants are around hotel, what is in walking distance...how are we going to get to the port for embarkation...I try to commit this stuff to memory, so we can travel without...getting lost.  Yes, we have smart phones, but my husband lacks patience for such things, or for asking directions. as our getting lost in london attested to, when our phones died, and it was dark, and if he had waited the 2 minutes (if that) that I needed before my phone died to figure out where we were and where we needed to be, we would have been at the hotel 5 minutes later vs. the 45 minute detour he led us on...just saying..

ok - now i really need to get back to work...

youre about as anal as i am

• Like 1

I swear planning even a year ahead is the magic of travelling, never a boring  day with some cruise to look forward to.  Not ready to put cash back out there yet, but will spend time exploring online what will be the next one!

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 1:09 PM, MrsTocko said:

Hi All - 

Happy cruising

I seriously would not book a cruise right now prior to 2022. Too many unknowns at the moment.

I am planning and will book something when things settle down.  I too like the "planning" and have several plans for different itineraries!  We were actually planning to take a last minute Alaska cruise this month if the "price was right" just to see if we could take advantage of waiting. (we are 5 hours from Seattle, so easy drive in the Spring)  almost ready to book and then this darn Covid-19 virus derailed our plans.  We have had several other trips to Alaska so we had planned to just go and enjoy the trip without needing to do anything....................oh well back to the planning!

3 hours ago, yankees111 said:

I seriously would not book a cruise right now prior to 2022. Too many unknowns at the moment.

Only “new” booking is the 2022 cruise..the rest was planned and booked before COVID.  And while I do have insurance for all three, I will wait for them to cancel us.  We are booked Thanksgiving week.  Airfare was included in the 2 July cruises, so those aren’t ticketed yet, and the one this year is our home port. We have just over 6 months to go.  So much can change in that time, both good and bad...look at how the world has changed in just the last 2 months.  I think once we gat back to cruising, the precaution the cruise industry will take may borderline paranoia. Not costing anything for us to wait.

been a very rough 8 months, we need the break and something to look forward to.

It is great to see I am not alone out in this world......I have an August Alaska cruise that I am waiting to be canceled.  Made me sad so I went ahead and booked an a May 2022 and have had an April 2021 booked for over a year.  I just have to be able to look forward to and plan a cruise.  I always have at least two booked and always book a new one as soon as they come out with the itineraries...DH thinks I am crazy.  My kindle library is nothing but travel books so I can research more.