Any chance we'll be sailing 7/2 to Alaska?

Bridget2

My husband and I are booked on 10 day Star Princess cruise to Alaska from San Fran on 7/2.  This cruise is round trip.  I'm hearing that San Francisco is a no, but haven't heard from Princess yet.  If Seattle is ok, would we have a chance of switching to that?  The cruise is paid for, but thankfully we hadn't purchased air yet.  Wondering what anyone is hearing or knows?  Thanks.

IMHO your chances are probably ZERO!

Carnival announced on the news today they would be resuming the following cruises Aug 1. No statement from Princess.

• Galveston, Texas:  Carnival Dream, Carnival Freedom, Carnival Vista
  • Miami: Carnival Horizon, Carnival Magic, Carnival Sensation
  • Port Canaveral, Florida: Carnival Breeze, Carnival Elation.

It is very doubtful. Carnival just canceled all cruises through the end of August With the exception of 8 ships that will be sailing from Miami, Port Canaveral and Galveston beginning August 1. They also canceled all Carnival Spirit sailings from Seattle for 2020. Since Carnival Corporation is the parent company of Princess, I would imagine that they will follow a similar schedule.

Also, the CDC 100 Day No Sail Order for ships sailing to / from US ports Does not end until July 24. So unless that is lifted before that date, which is very unlikely, no large ships will be sailing to Alaska until after that date

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/carnival-cruises-resuming-august/index.html

Today Carnival Cruise announced extending their pause in most cruises until 8/31 including canceling all Alaska cruises from Seattle. This might be a preview of what Princess will also do by extending cancelations past the current 6/30.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-cruise-line-announces-plan-phase-service

Currently Canada is closed to cruise ships until 7/1 & it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s extended. Due to the PVSA Alaska cruises require a stop in Canada which I doubt will be available for your cruise. The CDC expects USA cruise ports to be closed until 7/24 which would affect your cruise.

“100 days have passed from April 15, the date the extended order was published in the Federal Registerexternal icon and went into effect. 100 days from April 15 is July 24”.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html

49 minutes ago, Bridget2 said:

My husband and I are booked on 10 day Star Princess cruise to Alaska from San Fran on 7/2.  This cruise is round trip.  I'm hearing that San Francisco is a no, but haven't heard from Princess yet.  If Seattle is ok, would we have a chance of switching to that?  The cruise is paid for, but thankfully we hadn't purchased air yet.  Wondering what anyone is hearing or knows?  Thanks.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/plan/impacted-and-cancelled-cruises/extension-voluntary-pause-2020.pdf

According to this, it's already cancelled?

31 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Correct!  That cruise has already been canceled .... all sailings from San Francisco to Alaska have been canceled through the rest of the year.  The OP now has to join in the queue for a refund.  It is doubtful they will just move your funds over to a different cruise ... it's all tied up in the refund process and I've not had luck in getting an agent to simply transfer it to a different sailing.  

Sadly, I find it hard to believe those sailings from Seattle will happen either.  

1 hour ago, Bridget2 said:

1 hour ago, seasickgirl said:

I doubt it.  We received an email from Princess on April 14th stating that our Alaska cruise departing from San Francisco on August 31 was cancelled.

wow - Bridget2 - are you just now finding out about this on Cruise Critic ??

have you not been notified by Princess or whoever you booked thru ?  that would be disturbing , to say the least ...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JT1962 said:

Since Carnival Corporation is the parent company of Princess, I would imagine that they will follow a similar schedule.

Carnival Cruise Lines is what made the announcement, not Carnival Corporation.

As Carnival Cruise Lines and Princess Cruise Lines are sister companies owned by CCL Corp, what one does is independent of what the other one does.

Princess may end up doing the same, but it will be an independent decision.

6 hours ago, caribill said:

As Carnival Cruise Lines and Princess Cruise Lines are sister companies owned by CCL Corp, what one does is independent of what the other one does.

do you also believe Princess made an independent decision apart from Carnival Corporation to roll out the Ocean Medallion ?

Yes, I am aware of how Carnival Corp is set up currently. I expect that will change in the future for cost cutting measures and more consistent management between the lines. I also would not be surprised to see a few of the multiple Carnival Corp lines to be consolidated, sold or shut down at some point over the next few years in additional cost cutting measures. Princess and Holland America are 2 likely lines to be consolidated or their ships re-branded with all of the bad publicity those 2 lines received.

16 hours ago, Bridget2 said:

I wouldn't bet on it.....😕😕😕

Bob

5 hours ago, voljeep said:

do you also believe Princess made an independent decision apart from Carnival Corporation to roll out the Ocean Medallion ?

No, that was definitely a CCL Corp decision with Princess selected as the guinea pig.