Final Payment if cruise could end up being cancelled?

1 minute ago, Empehi said:

I could be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if RCL and the other cruise lines knowingly let customers make final payment on cruises that they know will be canceled just to increase their cash flow. This way they can hold on to the full payment for months. Let's face it .... this is the only way these companies are getting any cash flow. Personally, I don't blame them for doing this (because they desperately need the funds) but as customers, we have to make a decision that is best for each individual.

My sentiments also- minus the "I don't blame them"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pcur said:

I don't know what's so iffy, except cruising is on hold for a while.  I figure if we don't cruise until next April, we have a good chance of having a vaccine in us, and RCCL will have smoothed out the "new style" of cruising with fewer passengers, social distancing in the formerly cheek-to-jowl eating venues, masks, deep cleaning, etc.  

I cancelled a cruise this morning with an NRD going to an FCC for the full amount.  That saved $200 in fees right there.  I booked the cruise I wanted in 2022 with another deposit, knowing the FCC would pay down the balance due.

RCCL has set the precedence now:  if things go sideways again, they will protect themselves and their customer base.  The announcement this morning basically reverted their change and cancellation policy back to what it used to be:  no fees, switch to another cruise, etc.  Even if it's temporary, the bar has been set to this level now.

I would go for the cancellation/FCC because you KNOW right now that you will NOT pay a cancellation fee.

Oh, and the new cruise I booked was the same ship, same number of nights, almost identical itinerary, and $500 lower with a refundable deposit.

I've been with RCCL for 46 years, and this is the way they used to work with their customers.  I predict it will be like this, or similar, for at least 2 years.  Don't forget there is a 20% unemployment rate in the US right now, and RCCL knows that.  So, they will cater to those who want to buy a cruise, and they will be nicer to us about it. Buyer's market.

7 hours ago, swdke said:

Just wondering if people are making upcoming final payments considering the cruise could end up being cancelled?  If I have a non refundable deposit, then I don't think I can cancel and get a refund if I have a concern about the cruise being eventually cancelled.  But it just seems odd or unwise to pay the final payment if it's likely to get cancelled.  So wondering what others are doing regarding their final payment?

Thanks so much for your information.

We cancelled before our final payment was due.

I'm sorry but I am still confused. I have 500 .00 NRD for sailing 9/6/20. Final payment for that cruise is 6/8/20. I have no intention of taking that cruise, I feel we won't know how cruising is going to be until after 8/1/20. I don't want to pay anymore [final]. I want to book another cruise and have RCI transfer my deposit to another cruise, is that not possible? Their cancellation/FCC is only  for cruises commencing prior to 9/1/20 and my cruise is 9/6/20. 5 weeks ago I asked to transfer deposit and they said no, and that I should put down full deposit for the 2021 cruise and they would probably change the date from 9/1/20 to include  cruise date of 9/6, she said they would be updating any day and it still hasn't changed from 9/1/20 and it has been 5 weeks.

1 minute ago, sugcarol said:

I'm sorry but I am still confused. I have 500 .00 NRD for sailing 9/6/20. Final payment for that cruise is 6/8/20. I have no intention of taking that cruise, I feel we won't know how cruising is going to be until after 8/1/20. I don't want to pay anymore [final]. I want to book another cruise and have RCI transfer my deposit to another cruise, is that not possible? Their cancellation/FCC is only  for cruises commencing prior to 9/1/20 and my cruise is 9/6/20. 5 weeks ago I asked to transfer deposit and they said no, and that I should put down full deposit for the 2021 cruise and they would probably change the date from 9/1/20 to include  cruise date of 9/6, she said they would be updating any day and it still hasn't changed from 9/1/20 and it has been 5 weeks.

You can either transfer that cruise to another sailing 1 year away +/-4 weeks on the same length of sailing same itinerary OR you can cancel and receive a FCC for the full amount of your deposit  and apply it to any sailing departing before April 30 2022.

The CWC has been extended to include all sailings until April of 2022 instead of Sept 2020

• Like 2

We paid for Ovation Sept. 4 and will go if it sails.  To move that reservation to 2021 doesn't work for us, we have Anthem booked for Thanksgiving and although Ovation will be going to Alaska they do not have any Grand Lofts available.  Quantum is also sailing and they do have a Grand Loft but by the time we find out about Sept. 4 it will be gone.  So it would appear we have no alternative except to take a FCC is Sept. 4 is cancelled.

2 hours ago, sugcarol said:

I had a $500.00 NRD for a cruise on 9/20/20. They let me transfer my deposit for a cruise for 9/2021. Try calling again, I think its who you speak with before you get the right person. She had me on hold for 20 minutes talking to her supervisor before she said they can do it.

We have a $500 NRD, if we were to cancel & take the FCC, is that split $250 pp or $500 that either one of us could use on our next cruise? Just wondering in case one of us isn't able to go on cruises anymore due to health reasons.

19 minutes ago, bren61 said:

We have a $500 NRD, if we were to cancel & take the FCC, is that split $250 pp or $500 that either one of us could use on our next cruise? Just wondering in case one of us isn't able to go on cruises anymore due to health reasons.

$250 per person 

I have a refundable deposit on RCCL ship...I do not have a refundable paid in full airfare booked by Air2sea...if cruise is cancelled by RCCL will I get back my airfare either before final payment or afterwards ?

I booked a cruise means I plan on going.  I paid if off in advance like always when I had the money.  It is a vacation, and I own that vacation.  If it is canceled, than I will take my refund no worries.  If it is not canceled, than I will enjoy weeks vacation. 

Before any says all the what-ifs, I understand some people are out of work, need the money etc etc.  However the questions did not say anything about needing money.  They asked if I should pay for something that might not happen.  The answer I am giving, is if you want to go on the cruise, than treat it like you plan on going......and see what happens later

On 5/6/2020 at 6:30 PM, Empehi said:

I could be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if RCL and the other cruise lines knowingly let customers make final payment on cruises that they know will be canceled just to increase their cash flow. This way they can hold on to the full payment for months. Let's face it .... this is the only way these companies are getting any cash flow. Personally, I don't blame them for doing this (because they desperately need the funds) but as customers, we have to make a decision that is best for each individual.

I don’t think you are wrong. 

On 5/6/2020 at 3:30 PM, Empehi said:

Looks like a wining strategy for Royal. Close to 60% are taking the 125% FCC and letting Royal permanently keep the cash.  Also with the new Lift and Switch program many are now moving bookings a year ahead not taking the 125% and saving Royal even more money.  Gotta love the bean counters. 

Hey Ken,

Could you please clarify for me - my Sept. Vision cruise from BCN to NJ will likely be cancelled by RC.  This is a non-refundable deposit.  The air is also non-refundable booked thru ChoiceAir.

Is it better to make final payment on June 4th then wait for RC to cancel?  Doubt that BCN will open up by Sept. 

Would this be the best scenario to be able to go to WestJet for refund voucher?  

Can't L&S this cruise - nothing matches up.

Thanks!

NJ 

Ok here's the dilemma for me. I thought I knew which cruise I wanted t oswitch to , but not so sure.

Cruise is September 2020 New England/ Canada  Non-refundable deposit. Large OBC attached to booking.

We already have another cruise on another cruiseline booked for September 2021 Alaska. We got a really nice cabin and great price and don't really want to cancel.We want to go back to Alaska again.

So it's not like I can just call up and just do the lift and shift deal and book a  2021 New England/Canada cruise.

Was looking at under the CWC I guess we could switch the booking to maybe a March 2022 Caribbean Cruise. Was looking at either 7 day 4 port cruise in Rhapsody of the Seas out of Galveston, Texas, not a great ship though or Allure of the Seas 3 port 7 day cruise out of Tampa, Florida.

But I come to thinking we really want to do the New England/ Canada cruise before we do another Caribbean Cruise, been there done plent of those.

So what if I wait until the September 2020 cruise is actually canceled? Would I then have the ability to maybe book the New England/ Canada 2022, Does anyone know for sure when that itinerary for 2022 comes out ?

Remembering I still don't want to lose that OBC.

Wonder what options we might have by September 24th 2020 when and if cruise is canceled? Just don't know what is best to do.

Edited by Jimbo

35 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Ok here's the dilemma for me. I thought I knew which cruise I wanted t oswitch to , but not so sure.

Cruise is September 2020 New England/ Canada  Non-refundable deposit. Large OBC attached to booking.

We already have another cruise on another cruiseline booked for September 2021 Alaska. We got a really nice cabin and great price and don't really want to cancel.We want to go back to Alaska again.

So it's not like I can just call up and just do the lift and shift deal and book a  2021 New England/Canada cruise.

Was looking at under the CWC I guess we could switch the booking to maybe a March 2022 Caribbean Cruise. Was looking at either 7 day 4 port cruise in Rhapsody of the Seas out of Galveston, Texas, not a great ship though or Allure of the Seas 3 port 7 day cruise out of Tampa, Florida.

But I come to thinking we really want to do the New England/ Canada cruise before we do another Caribbean Cruise, been there done plent of those.

So what if I wait until the September 2020 cruise is actually canceled? Would I then have the ability to maybe book the New England/ Canada 2022, Does anyone know for sure when that itinerary for 2022 comes out ?

Wonder what options we might have by September 24th 2020 when and if cruise is canceled? Just don't know what is best to do.

I can really relate to your debate.  We have 2 cruises booked with one day in between.  Canada/NE on October 8th (Adventure) & Bahama on October 18th (Oasis). I am trying to get in touch with our TA (office is closed and tried to email them to get back to me & no reply), so I called RCL 2 days in a row and was on hold for an hour  & 15 minutes with no pick ups till phone went dead. I was planning on doing the lift & switch, but I am constantly second guessing myself.  I really don't want to go this Oct, because if it does sail, I'm sure there will be extra precautions being in place, (don't want to wear a mask, take a chance of some ports not being open, and having the hot tubs and pools closed). What I really want is to get a total refund by them cancelling, but am afraid  to take the chance. We also have a NRD, and I think the only way we will get the cash back for that, is if they cancel. 

1 hour ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Hey Ken,

Could you please clarify for me - my Sept. Vision cruise from BCN to NJ will likely be cancelled by RC.  This is a non-refundable deposit.  The air is also non-refundable booked thru ChoiceAir.

Is it better to make final payment on June 4th then wait for RC to cancel?  Doubt that BCN will open up by Sept. 

Thanks!

NJ 

We also had a Choiceair Westjet non refundable. When Celebrity cancelled our April 25th cruise  Celebrity gave  us an open ticket which stays with Cruiseair not Westjet. They would not give me a refund. I have given up so I filed a dispute with my credit card

OntarioCruiser Peterborough 

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

None of the FCC’s are valid past April 2022.  

8 hours ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Hey Ken,

Thanks!

NJ 

The only hope of getting non refundable air refunded Is for the airline to cancel the flight which means making final payment and hoping.  A lot of airlines are now offering full vouchers (no penalties) for cancelling any flights this year. I’d look into this option. 

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The only hope of getting non refundable air refunded Is for the airline to cancel the flight which means making final payment and hoping.  A lot of airlines are now offering full vouchers (no penalties) for cancelling any flights this year. I’d look into this option. 

Thanks a lot Ken.

For my "refundable" cruise Oct. 19 Vision from Quebec -  have no idea if Quebec port will even be open then. 

Would I have to cancel before final payment on July 14th?   or make F.P., wait to see A)  if RC cancels or B) if necessary cancel 48 hours before & get full refund?

Cheers,

NJ 

3 minutes ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Thanks a lot Ken.

For my "refundable" cruise Oct. 19 Vision from Quebec -  have no idea if Quebec port will even be open then. 

Would I have to cancel before final payment on July 14th?   or make F.P., wait to see A)  if RC cancels or B) if necessary cancel 48 hours before & get full refund?

Cheers,

NJ 

What airline.  None of the Canadian airlines are offering refunds...vouchers only.

If you make final the only way to get a refund is if the cruise line cancels the cruise.  If you cancel under the 48 hour guarantee then you only get a FCC

Unfortunately this gets really tricky when air is involved.  You are best to call and talk to choice air

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

What airline.  None of the Canadian airlines are offering refunds...vouchers only.

If you make final the only way to get a refund is if the cruise line cancels the cruise.  If you cancel under the 48 hour guarantee then you only get a FCC

Unfortunately this gets really tricky when air is involved.  You are best to call and talk to choice air

no air involved on this one - would take train to Quebec.  making note of all your replies so I can refer to them later.  may have to wait closer to July F.P. & see what's happening with Quebec.  This Oct. 19 cruise is B2B with Nav. Nov. 2, then Rhapsody Nov. 7 from BCN-TPA  - then have four Rhapsody booked to Dec. 19.  So have a chunk to figure out what to do with.  Was supposed to be gone three months but slowly being whittled down...

Thanks again,

NJ 

21 hours ago, Jimbo said:

For my situation above...........Anybody like to GAMBLE ?

What do you think Royal would do if I moved the above sailing because of the CWC policy to Allure of the Seas out of Galveston April 2022.................and it turns out because of Covid-19 the ship never gets "Amplified" .......like they say it is suppose to...................Do you think when the times comes and I call up since it's not "Amplified"  like they said it would be I could then switch to a New England/Canada cruise in September of 2022 without paying $100 per person change fees............which I can't do right now since those itineraries(2022  NE/Canada are not out yet?

Worth a Gamble or RCL would never allow it?

Edited by Jimbo