Norwegian CEO shares his plan for a cruising comeback — and it isn’t what you think

10 minutes ago, complawyer said:

well, if you wait until the last few weeks, arent you limiting  yourself to the choice of cabins and locations?  im not a snob, but even if  the cost for an indoor cabin was $100 i wouldnt book it, its like spending a week in an walk in closet. obviously some people dont mind but id rather book early and get what i want 

every person is different. i usually sail solo and am fine with an Inside cabin since i only shower and sleep there.

but you can also find deals on OV/balconies, especially  on long cruises.

my last cruise was 16day Panama Canal on the Joy earlier this year in a guarantee balcony for $50day solo.

going through the Panama Canal in a balcony for $50/day? Absolutely wonderful!

Insides were cheaper than $50/day but to see the panama canal crossing w/o fighting the crowds was priceless

Edited by fstuff1

2 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

every cruise i've booked thru ncl.com has been $50/day or less solo.

Including tax and port fees? And even then probably the last years without free at sea promotion.

In the pre FDR time NCL had sales like fresh drinks, unlimited specialty restaurants, OBC, internet weeks before sailaway. No single supplement in all stateroom categories including haven and stuff like that.

Those broad sales months before the cruises started are indeed gone (not speaking of those "we raise the fare 35% and then give a 30% off sale for two weeks").

But of course there are always individual cruises that are a better per day deal than others. And that doesn't have to be last minute. Just now they have a 382GBP solo inside for 7 day on the spirit piraeus departure in October. A few weeks ago 478€ solo inside for 14 days New Zealand in December... But once again just single cruises not broad price dumping. And in these cirumstances only available for that price in specific markets. 

2 hours ago, complawyer said:

well, if you wait until the last few weeks, arent you limiting  yourself to the choice of cabins and locations?  im not a snob, but even if  the cost for an indoor cabin was $100 i wouldnt book it, its like spending a week in an walk in closet. obviously some people dont mind but id rather book early and get what i want 

No limitations if you enter an upgrade advantage bid. We've gone many times from interior to balcony for minimum bid. Also, don't assume we spend a week in a walk in closet. We sleep there from 1-7, freshen up from 8-9 and again from 5-6. The rest of the time we are either off exploring the beautiful ship or some awesome destination. I don't think you're a snob, we just value different things. I just think the comment, which I know you didn't make, that said that NCL regularly sells out ships and doesn't offer fire sale prices was wrong. Since they price too high in advance, they usually have available cabins that are offered real cheap. I don't know if it will continue in the post Covid era, so we will see.

Norwegian had better stop the trend of adding extra high end rooms at the expense of public spaces.  I sailed on the Breakaway in 2018 and Getaway 2019.  The public spaces are TINY!   4000 passengers and Syd Normans might seat 100.  Whatever happened to the Spinnaker Lounge?  This was a roomy, beautiful place to gather.  Have the Jewel and Jade been "upgraded" to this same form?  There will be no social distancing on a ship of 4000 when the atrium is the biggest venue for games.  I stood in line over an hour just to get my key card punched, and the front desk people just did not give a flip.  We are platinum with NCL and wish to remain a customer, but I loved it when it was "freestyle" instead of making a reservation for a tiny theater.  NCL has slipped badly in the last several years and you better do something about it with these new challenges.

17 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

If you look up all NCL cruises, sort by $$$ per night, you'll see fire sales already exist in the post Covid era...

Ok, thank you. I am taking a break from cruise ship travel for a little. Going to focus on some land based vacations within driving distance for now.

On 5/9/2020 at 12:39 PM, deliver42 said:

I thought it was an honest perception on FDR's part. However, wearing a mask on a cruise is a deal breaker for me. No way will I cruise with any line with that in store.

I agree and I won't sail if a mask is required either.  And itinerary changes and the possibility of more sea days isn't exciting either although I am sure there will be some.  

I don't care what ship or cruise line I sail on - I pick the itinerary first and then the best ship/price going there.  No loyalty of me since I can't sail multiple times per year or for weeks at a time......

5 hours ago, blcruising said:

Sorry, your analysis is not accurate.

I've cruised 4-5 times per year for the last three or four years. They regularly price real high in advance and then cabin dump anywhere from 14 days until sailing. They rarely sell out there ships prior to 14 days from departure.  I only sail NCL when they dump cabins and have had no issues with getting last minute cabins at decent locations to a variety of destinations. There are other CC members that have the same experience. You have to carefully understand NCL's pricing models and use them to your advantage to get the last minute deals. 11 day cruises at $499. 7 day cruises at $299, 15 day cruises for $499. The list could go on and on. The pricing method you described above is not the model I use.

I only sail NCL because it is the only line that dumps cabins. They have made cruising extremely affordable for last minute cruisers. They can't be beat for last minute pricing, (at lease based on history).  For early bookers, not so affordable.

Perhaps I should have provided a caveat, "except last minute deals of unsold cabins".  I was referring to general pricing.  There too, I'm not suggesting NCL doesnt offer good deals.  They certainly do, which is why I sail NCL frequently .  But they don't generally do long term panic selling, or the $30 per day deals.  They have consistent very competitive pricing.  

Frankly, I don't recall NCL ever pricing "really high". They are within competitive pricing with other lines, at worst.  Del Rio confirmed what NCL's pricing model is and has been.  It is what I suggested.

Edited by brovol

17 minutes ago, brovol said:

Perhaps I should have provided a caveat, "except last minute deals of unsold cabins".  I was referring to general pricing.  There too, I'm not suggesting NCL doesnt offer good deals.  They certainly do, which is why I sail NCL frequently .  But they don't generally do long term panic selling, or the $30 per day deals.  They have consistent very competitive pricing.  

Frankly, I don't recall NCL ever pricing "really high". They are within competitive pricing with other lines, at worst.  Del Rio confirmed what NCL's pricing model is and has been.  It is what I suggested.

Just trying to help folks understand the pricing model.  To oversimplify it, it's occupancy % of the stateroom category and its very progressive sliding scale.  Two years out, a $1999 stateroom doesn't magically drop to $499 14 days out if unsold, it's far more progressive.  They also tend to open up multiple discounts including free for gamblers, state, military/vets, past guest, first responder, etc and reduced single supplements very progressively months before they offer "fire sale" sail away deals.

1 hour ago, sfaaa said:

There are definitely some deals out there. Some of the 2022 refundable saleaway rates are already sold out. 

LOL, aren't those like good "insurance bets" on the table game for advance bookings.  Doesn't really help NCL if FCC are being used to rebook them.  Brand new bookings or payment would help with cash flow & balance sheet on their quarterly financials, marginally at best ... until final payment time.  

On a side note, anyone being solicited for the Let's Get You "Upgrade Advantage" bidding yet ... that was open at 80+ days out last Fall ... folks that are dreaming of sailing this August ??  Let's hear it.  Or, discontinued and no longer part of the scheme ... 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Just trying to help folks understand the pricing model.  To oversimplify it, it's occupancy % of the stateroom category and its very progressive sliding scale.  Two years out, a $1999 stateroom doesn't magically drop to $499 14 days out if unsold, it's far more progressive.  They also tend to open up multiple discounts including free for gamblers, state, military/vets, past guest, first responder, etc and reduced single supplements very progressively months before they offer "fire sale" sail away deals.

I wish I had the luxury of being able to sail last minute.  Great for those who can.  And I admit  that my bride and I want at least a balcony cabin.  We have done sail away bookings, but never last minute .  Maybe when we retire.  Those have always been the best rates with any cruise line, and are fantastic for those who can do it.

4 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

LOL, aren't those like good "insurance bets" on the table game for advance bookings.  Doesn't really help NCL if FCC are being used to rebook them.  Brand new bookings or payment would help with cash flow & balance sheet on their quarterly financials, marginally at best ... until final payment time.  

On a side note, anyone being solicited for the Let's Get You "Upgrade Advantage" bidding yet ... that was open at 80+ days out last Fall ... folks that are dreaming of sailing this August ??  Let's hear it.  Or, discontinued and no longer part of the scheme ... 

Those FCC sailings have to be done at some point, so I am sure NCL would like to get them done ASAP. 

CC just sent me a summary of the FDR talk on Thursday, he said CDC is in control, but what ever is required NCL will be doing more than the minimum.  Should be interesting to see how that translates into real cruising in September or October on three ships.

Just now, brovol said:

I wish I had the luxury of being able to sail last minute.  Great for those who can.  And I admit  that my bride and I want at least a balcony cabin.  We have done sail away bookings, but never last minute .  Maybe when we retire.  Those have always been the best rates with any cruise line, and are fantastic for those who can do it.

Here are some employer best practices which doesn't work for everyone.

1)  Can you cancel approved time off last minute?  Watch a low occupancy cruise, request the time off but if there isn't a fire sale, cancel your time off.

2)  Can you request a week off well in advance, then at the last minute, shift the time off by a week if there's a "fire sale" a week before or after?

3)  Really comes down to communication with your employer (won't work for everyone); most simply want coverage and don't care about advanced notice.  If you simply ask up front, "I've secured backup coverage, what else do you need from me to go a week long cruise on short notice?"

13 minutes ago, mugtech said:

CC just sent me a summary of the FDR talk on Thursday, he said CDC is in control, but what ever is required NCL will be doing more than the minimum.  Should be interesting to see how that translates into real cruising in September or October on three ships.

And starting with three ships.  Have they already decided which ones?

These boards are somewhat quiet right now, but that will change when we learn which cruises are happening and which are cancelled.

I clicked on this thread thinking everyone was talking about this recent development.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5340/?et_cid=3330266&et_rid=17543101&et_referrer=Contest_PaulGauguin_May2013

"I'm not the one who's going to determine when we start or not," he said. "It's going to be primarily the CDC working with the U.S. Coast Guard. The CDC is really the number one gatekeeper here."

Del Rio said that he envisioned "as much testing as possible," particularly for the crew, on an ongoing basis. The company is also working on more frequent and intense cleaning and disinfecting protocols.

An expanded medical center seems likely, with more doctors and nurses on staff, Del Rio said. An isolation area will be included, in the event that anyone does become infected onboard.

Del Rio touted the number of balcony cabins on his fleet of ships, which has a significant number of new builds. More balcony cabins mean better access to fresh air, he said. He also said that the company was looking at rerouting air conditioning ducts and putting in "a much more effective air filtering system."

"Quite frankly, whatever the CDC standards are, we want to do even better," Del Rio said. "This is not an optical exercise that we want to do the minimum required. We want to do whatever it is that we need to do so that I can look my children in the eye, my mother in the eye, and say it is safe to go on boarding Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings ship; and so we're doing everything we can. ...We're willing to invest in whatever emerging technologies there may be, and there are many.

"All these things take it as a whole, comprehensive and robust, give us the confidence that we can provide a very safe environment. A cruise ship is a controlled environment. If we do this right, I believe cruise ships will be safer than the general population is out in the marketplace."

Del Rio said he would start sailing with ships on all three of his lines, albeit in smaller numbers.

"The working plan that we have today is in month One ... it would be three Norwegian vessels, one Oceania vessel and one Regent vessel," with the number of ships sailing increasing gradually as momentum builds, he said.

As for when that might be, Del Rio said that "reasonable expectations" pointed to late in quarter three (September) or early quarter four (October through December). He said that it would take six months or so to get the entire company fleet back into service.

Edited by ISLABONITA

32 minutes ago, ISLABONITA said:

Del Rio said that he envisioned "as much testing as possible," particularly for the crew, on an ongoing basis. 

Possible being the operative word, probably not as often as the White House.

"He also said that the company was looking at rerouting air conditioning ducts and putting in "a much more effective air filtering system."

"Quite frankly, whatever the CDC standards are, we want to do even better," Del Rio said. "This is not an optical exercise that we want to do the minimum required. We want to do whatever it is that we need to do so that I can look my children in the eye, my mother in the eye, and say it is safe to go on boarding Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings ship; and so we're doing everything we can. ...We're willing to invest in whatever emerging technologies there may be, and there are many."

I hope they really do change the air filtration system.  The current system on cruise ships recirculates air throughout the ship.  While it is filtered, the filter can only screen out particles that are 100 (whatever measurement it is) or larger particles and covid-19 is 20 (whatever measurement it is) particles.  This is what was behind the disastrous situation on the Diamond Princess.  It isn't that the infected person (or persons) came into contact with the hundreds of passengers and crew that eventually tested positive.  It was that during the 4 weeks they were forced to stay on the ship they all breathed infected air.

Hopefully the CDC will mellow a little as the virus results continue to improve because right now they seem inclined to wait for the virus to disappear.  The cruise lines say they are working with the CDC and they are on protocol, but apparently not on a date to resume cruising...:-(

"Last month, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention extended its “no sail order,” banning all cruise travel in the United States until July 24.   A C.D.C. spokeswoman, Caitlin Shockey, said the agency has not consulted with any of the cruise companies on the timeline for restarting cruises.  “We do not have enough information to say when it will be safe for cruise ships to resume sailing,” 

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

If you look up all NCL cruises, sort by $$$ per night, you'll see fire sales already exist in the post Covid era...

Yeah....some good deals to be had right now.  Add in the 20% discount for those who had a cruise cancelled and the 125% FCC. These are down right cheap.  As always, just gotta know when to look at a cruise.

13 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Here are some employer best practices which doesn't work for everyone.

1)  Can you cancel approved time off last minute?  Watch a low occupancy cruise, request the time off but if there isn't a fire sale, cancel your time off.

2)  Can you request a week off well in advance, then at the last minute, shift the time off by a week if there's a "fire sale" a week before or after?

3)  Really comes down to communication with your employer (won't work for everyone); most simply want coverage and don't care about advanced notice.  If you simply ask up front, "I've secured backup coverage, what else do you need from me to go a week long cruise on short notice?"

I am a chief judge in a multi-county state court system, with a docket which must be set well in advance.  Just not conducive to "last minute" cruising.  My staff would torture me if they cleared my docket and I didnt go, or, worse, if I told them to cancel hearings last minute.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Corliss said:

This is what was behind the disastrous situation on the Diamond Princess.  It isn't that the infected person (or persons) came into contact with the hundreds of passengers and crew that eventually tested positive.  It was that during the 4 weeks they were forced to stay on the ship they all breathed infected air.

Hopefully the CDC will mellow a little as the virus results continue to improve because right now they seem inclined to wait for the virus to disappear.  The cruise lines say they are working with the CDC and they are on protocol, but apparently not on a date to resume cruising...:-(

I'm all for better filtration system but the C19 is transmitted via droplets and is not airborne.  If it was airborne people could easily transmit it to each other by simply opening their balcony door.

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I'm all for better filtration system but the C19 is transmitted via droplets and is not airborne.  If it was airborne people could easily transmit it to each other by simply opening their balcony door.

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2020/Q1/cruise-ship-ac-systems-could-promote-rapid-coronavirus-spread,-prof-says.html

According to a Purdue University air quality expert, cruise ship air conditioning systems are not designed to filter out particles as small as the coronavirus, allowing the disease to rapidly circulate to other cabins.

EXPERT: Qingyan Chen, Purdue’s James G. Dwyer Professor of Mechanical Engineering, has researched the spread of air particles in passenger vehicles and how to track them. His team developed models in the past for showing how the H1N1-A flu and other pathogens travel through aircraft cabins.

When Chen co-led the Air Transportation Center of Excellence for Airline Cabin Environment Research, his lab made discoveries about the airborne nature of SARS that could inform understanding of the coronavirus.

Chen’s lab is currently developing a ventilation system that would prevent the spread of pathogens by allowing each person to breathe in only his or her own air.

QUOTE: “It’s standard practice for the air conditioning systems of cruise ships to mix outside air with inside air to save energy. The problem is that these systems can’t filter out particles smaller than 5,000 nanometers. If the coronavirus is about the same size as SARS, which is 120 nanometers in diameter, then the air conditioning system would be carrying the virus to every cabin.

Cruise ships could minimize this problem by just using outside air and not recirculating it.”

NOT JUST CRUISE SHIPS: For aircraft, the coronavirus is more likely to spread by touch than through the air, Chen said, since the air conditioning systems of planes are capable of filtering out particles as small as viruses.

An epidemiologist who studies the spread of virus particles said the recirculated air from a cruise ship’s ventilation system, plus the close quarters and communal settings, made passengers and crew vulnerable to infectious diseases. “They’re not designed as quarantine facilities, to put it mildly,” said Don Milton of the University of Maryland. “You’re going to amplify the infection by keeping people on the boat.”

Another Princess ship, the Diamond Princess, was quarantined for two weeks in Yokohama, Japan, last month because of the virus. Ultimately, about 700 of the 3,700 people aboard became infected in what experts pronounced a public-health failure, with the vessel essentially becoming a floating germ factory.

19 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Henry...I'm rolling the dice for an Alaska cruise this October on the Bliss.  We'll see how this goes.  I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.