Future of Windjammer cafe?

18 hours ago, ToroAzul said:

One legit option could be serving style of Wicked Spoon buffet at Cosmo in Vegas. 

Many items are portioned in individual plate/bowls/baskets

Love Wicked Spoon.  Went there last year around Fathers Day.  I thought it a little pricey. I remember it being over $200 for four people including tax and tip. , no wine or alcohol just ice tea.  Interesting to see what Vegas does as they are the Buffet capitol of the world. 

Edited by taglovestocruise

On 5/9/2020 at 12:23 PM, Wine-O said:

I also think the self serve option will go away.  At least I hope so.  🍷

That's the way it was when we first cruised in 1996. You walked through the line with a tray and they served you. 

I agree, they will probably go back to this.

T

The future, it will no longer be self serve or buffet.  There's a chain of buffets in California call Souplantation.  The just announced that they are closing all of their buffets.  

“The FDA had previously put out recommendations that included discontinuing self-serve stations, like self-serve beverages in fast food, but they specifically talked about salad bars and buffets,” said John Haywood, CEO of Garden Fresh. “The regulations are understandable, but unfortunately, it makes it very difficult to reopen. And I’m not sure the health departments are ever going to allow it.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/story/2020-05-07/souplantations-buffet-style-restaurants-closing-for-good-due-to-the-coronvirus

On 5/9/2020 at 8:36 AM, Locobill49 said:Will you be eating there?

Will you be eating there?
On last cruises, I have seen people handle food that I’m not sure I would be comfortable with now. Thoughts?

Most likely not. I’ve seen the same behavior you have from other cruise lines and it was off putting.  Also, the only time I went to windjammer was for breakfast, usually during port days so we can quickly grab a bite to eat before leaving the ship.  In future cruises, I think I’ll just order room service for breakfast. 

1 hour ago, steveru621 said:

I'm just as concerned about the elevator button for the windjammer deck.

This is why it is good to have kids aboard the ship, all the buttons are already pushed for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I don't think RCL will restructure every single ship and all that square footage taken by the WJ, unless it's during major drydock.

The very easiest and simplest thing to do is have the WJ staffed with servers which serve you... extremely easy and cost effective in comparison to forcing 3000 passenger into the MDR and other venues, let alone the $$$ needed to restructure the WJ imho.

A negative to losing WJ is to solo's. As a sometimes solo cruiser, I hate the MDR. I do not want to be held up sitting in MDr for extended dinners in a large table that maybe/might not show up anyways. I much prefer to meet others on the roll call to formulate friendships, and I normally find many other friends on board who have like interests.

Here's a positive WJ story...  I took my young business partner & wife on a 7 day on Freedom a few years back. First two days MDR service and food was dismal, I was thoroughly embarrassed. 3rd night we went up to the WJ with wine bottle in hand... made our way back to an empty table at the window with gorgeous aft sunset views. Lady that came to the table was the gal who was in the old welcome video in our cabins serving a couple at their table (Filipino I believe)... anyways, we chit chatted.... we told her our story of the MDR the first two days. We went up got our food and continued on. Within 10 minutes, we had several servers come to us with bread, checking on us, pouring our wine for us. Superb personal MDR service up in the WJ without all the stupid under-staffed chaos as seems to be the case these days. We told them we'd be back the 4th night and likely the rest of the cruise....

Day 4... we come up there and two of the waiters right away acknowledge us. One of them walk us to the back at the same table,  same desirable aft view, bread on the table and candle lit. That was "our" table the rest of the cruise. Phenomenal service each night and great story for me anyways as I still remember it almost 7 years later.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, LXA350 said:

I might not express myself always the most diplomatic but as you know, the truth somethimes hurts and I am touching sensitive topics here, you don't need to comment but give it a though:

That the eating habits in the US are considered as very unhealthy and probably the most unhealthy in the Western World is a fact. If you go into windjammer for instance and you see what people load on their plates the saying "You are what you eat" perfectly applies. Unfortunately the US has many propblems and the food issue is just one of them, maybe also connected in a way to the bad or almost inexistent healthcare system same as for almost inexisitent employer rights. No country is perfect but it is such as shame that this "great" America that might have existed in the past is becoming always more a banana republic. Another examples the guns, how many 1000's of additional civilians need to be killed that the american people and their politicians will implement strong laws against weapons.

there will need to remain a option on board where a relatively large crowd can be fed fast, hence it will still be more effective to have staff serving food to plates than adding another sit down venue. They will just need to limit the amount of guests in the venue and have staff serving them. Also the concept could be adjusted for the salad bar and burgers into a made to order, where you have one counter to order and another one to pick your meal up once your number will be called / shown on the display (ticket system). At the other stations same setup as today you would just have a staff member serving the food onto oyur plate instead of you taking it yourself.

Your arrogance and stereotyping are very rude and condescending. Please bear in mind that there are also stereotypes of Europeans, and just like for Americans some are true and some are not. it appears that you are the type who probably gains their information from news media, which usually has a reason for their slant on it.

When you are bashing Americans please think of the many, many who gave their lives for YOU in WWI and WWII. Also, it the U.S. who pays way more than our fair share into NATO to protect Europe because most European governments do not.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 5/9/2020 at 8:36 AM, Locobill49 said:

Once cruising starts back up, do you think the Windjammer buffets will continue? Will you be eating there?

On last cruises, I have seen people handle food that I’m not sure I would be comfortable with now. Thoughts?

Yes, will still be open. For while might have servers, decades ago Royal use to always have them. I'll eat there, always first in the door myself. Last couple yrs WJ had some best food, taste, presentation and selection pretty much ever

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

We are not MDR fans either. Last time we had dinner in MDR was on Serenade 2016 and only because we were with a group of 12 people. 

Serenade is the last ship that we ever used the MDR on, too. And that was only on the first night of the cruise. It was the last straw after declining MDR experiences. We never went back. It was too loud and there was too much commotion. That was much longer ago than 2016.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

We are not MDR fans either. Last time we had dinner in MDR was on Serenade 2016 and only because we were with a group of 12 people. 

I was a big time MDR fan for many years, then several mediocre to bad experiences occurred over the course of 3-4 cruises, at the same time it seemed what I felt an awful WJ was getting better... seems the past couple of years the WJ has outperformed MDR for me.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2020 at 2:20 PM, martinpj said:

Self serve buffets are gone.  With the set up of most ships, they will end up putting up a glass where we previously grabbed the serving utensil to slap food on our plate.  Instead they will have a crew worker behind stationing it, and we point to what we want, and they slap our food on our plate or worse yet, we have a tray full of little plates and bowls of the food that we want so that they don't have to hand plates back and forth.

So the Windjammer will be more like Cafe Promenade just on a grander scale. 

Actually my first 3-4 Cruises on Royal they always had servers in WJ. At nite even had table cloths, Waiter and Menu order off from. WJ had an afternoon Tea Time, ship would announce with a bell. When served wasnt/isnt like school where Food was slapped on plate an back then none of Plates/Bowls were plastic.. But couple yrs of a Served Buffet and self serve will return.

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 3:04 PM, atanac said:

I believe buffets anywhere are going to be a thing of the past for years to come. Sweet Tomatos has permanently closed all their restaurants. Don't be surprised if the space used for buffets on cruise ships go through a refurbishment and come out as sit down dining rooms.

Doubt it. Meals outside Main Dining including WJ are more popular now then ever. Also without WJ and Buffets on other Lines, there isnt enough other places to feed a Full Ship. Royal will just have use servers as they did yrs ago.

Edited by ONECRUISER

We have always avoided the Windjammer, mainly due to the crowds and behaviors I have witnessed.
I swear, people act as though they will run out of food...and the Kids, do they have to taste all the desserts?
We do go for breakfast primarily because we are some of the first few in there.

I wonder if they can cut down on the crowding if they expanded their hours.....like all day?

I'd would prefer at times a Brunch...a late breakfast, early lunch?

Edited by B-52

6 minutes ago, B-52 said:

I wonder if they can cut down on the crowding if they expanded their hours.....like all day?

I'd would prefer at times a Brunch...a late breakfast, early lunch?

Except for a small closure to get ready for dinner it is pretty much open from breakfast until 9 PM.

• Like 1

All of Royals large ships do not have a continuous path to set your tray on and work

your way from salads, soups, breads, side dishes, meats, condiments etc. while you are

being served cafeteria style. They have separate food stations. I do not see how they

could possibly have servers at all those locations without wait times at each station

being a nightmare.

I firmly believe the space now used for buffets will be converted and then reopened

continuously throughout the day as another cafe/dining room.

For example all dining venues serving breakfast from 5:00 AM til 11:00 AM.

Transitioning lunches from 11:00 until 4:00 and right into dinner until midnight.

Buffets may be popular but having multiple quarantined ships is something the cruise

lines never faced before and never want to financially experience again. The complete

elimination of self serve buffets or crowding together while being served isn't worth

the risks now that we see what can happen.

Masks and social distancing will hopefully disappear but some things will certainly

change forever.

Like handshakes!

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Doubt it. Meals outside Main Dining including WJ are more popular now then ever. Also without WJ and Buffets on other Lines, there isnt enough other places to feed a Full Ship. Royal will just have use servers as they did yrs ago.

Easy to feed everyone, go to 3 seatings

• Haha 1

We cruised on Oasis in January 2019 after they had had a large Norovirus outbreak the week before our cruise.  They brought the ship back to Port Canaveral a day early, disembarked the passengers (even back to back who were sent to hotels) and thoroughly sanitized the ship.  When we boarded, all buffets (WJ, Solarium, and Diamond Lounge) were served for the first 4 or 5 days.  The last days, when there were no new Norovirus infections occurred, they went back to self serve.  

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Easy to feed everyone, go to 3 seatings

Nah, free room servicing anything from any Dining Venue and you got me. That, internet with my usual Aft/Corner Balcony, feel free Quarantine me anytime. Beats last 2 months locked down at home...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 2