Future of Windjammer cafe?

Back to the OP WJ post

A Restaurant chain Sweet Tomatoes, has gone belly up and will not reopen. This was a buffet/salad bar type place. Over 90 locations in US. They indicated the likely changes going forward wouldn’t fit in their current business model. 

https://www.fox4now.com/news/coronavirus/sweet-tomatoes-to-stay-closed-for-good-report-says

On 5/10/2020 at 8:52 AM, LXA350 said:

I might not express myself always the most diplomatic but as you know, the truth somethimes hurts and I am touching sensitive topics here, you don't need to comment but give it a though:

That the eating habits in the US are considered as very unhealthy and probably the most unhealthy in the Western World is a fact. If you go into windjammer for instance and you see what people load on their plates the saying "You are what you eat" perfectly applies. Unfortunately the US has many propblems and the food issue is just one of them, maybe also connected in a way to the bad or almost inexistent healthcare system same as for almost inexisitent employer rights. No country is perfect but it is such as shame that this "great" America that might have existed in the past is becoming always more a banana republic. Another examples the guns, how many 1000's of additional civilians need to be killed that the american people and their politicians will implement strong laws against weapons.

there will need to remain a option on board where a relatively large crowd can be fed fast, hence it will still be more effective to have staff serving food to plates than adding another sit down venue. They will just need to limit the amount of guests in the venue and have staff serving them. Also the concept could be adjusted for the salad bar and burgers into a made to order, where you have one counter to order and another one to pick your meal up once your number will be called / shown on the display (ticket system). At the other stations same setup as today you would just have a staff member serving the food onto oyur plate instead of you taking it yourself.

Stop watching CNN international. Read the transcripts of sworn testimony in the Russia Russia probe and then compare to what those very same people said on CNN when not under oath. 

Fox is just as slanted but I doubt you see that.

Truth hurts, as you say. Just take that little test and educate yourself.

Edited by hazence

11 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Love it! But wont be open on Sundays

Chick-fill-a Purchased one time and nerve again. Bought two containers of the chicken nuggets. When we opened the boxes they were rolling around on the bottom. Small as marbles and expensive. A small hand full in each box.What a rip off. So many other places to get great chicken at a reasonable price. I feel the same about Starbucks. 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Chick-fill-a Purchased one time and nerve again. Bought two containers of the chicken nuggets. When we opened the boxes they were rolling around on the bottom. Small as marbles and expensive. A small hand full in each box.What a rip off. So many other places to get great chicken at a reasonable price. I feel the same about Starbucks. 

Bummer. Could understand. While traveling ate Chik in dozen states in last 30yrs and only time had a poor meal 2yrs ago when opened in my Hometown. Like anywhere get bad meal or service may never go back. It's not for everyone. My Son thinks Chicken Sandwich is too big meat, Though the "nuggets" are not chicken fingers the Nuggets I got 2 Months ago were big, box top couldnt close tight. Maybe you got bottom of a bag... Anyway, choice

2 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Bummer. Could understand. While traveling ate Chik in dozen states in last 30yrs and only time had a poor meal 2yrs ago when opened in my Hometown. Like anywhere get bad meal or service may never go back. It's not for everyone. My Son thinks Chicken Sandwich is too big meat, Though the "nuggets" are not chicken fingers the Nuggets I got 2 Months ago were big, box top couldnt close tight. Maybe you got bottom of a bag... Anyway, choice

My son got exactly the same. I asked him if e ever went there and what he thought. That one was in a mall food court. We will give the stand alone one a try.

3 hours ago, hazence said:

Stop watching CNN international. Read the transcripts of sworn testimony in the Russia Russia probe and then compare to what those very same people said on CNN when not under oath. 

Fox is just as slanted but I doubt you see that.

Truth hurts, as you say. Just take that little test and educate yourself.

Most news casts are slanted to the left as expected. You need to think for yourself and understand how politics is. Cut throat. When I vote I do my best to see what that person has accomplished in his lifetime. I miss Walter Cronkite and the bunch. They were the definition of what a journalist should be and were. Woops. I think I am not to say anything about politics. I do remember the definition of a fork tongue.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2020 at 11:36 AM, Locobill49 said:

Once cruising starts back up, do you think the Windjammer buffets will continue? Will you be eating there?

On last cruises, I have seen people handle food that I’m not sure I would be comfortable with now. Thoughts?

The only time I was ever in a Windjammer was for a lecture as they did not have a room available .They served coffee and pastries.

5 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Back to the OP WJ post

A Restaurant chain Sweet Tomatoes, has gone belly up and will not reopen. This was a buffet/salad bar type place. Over 90 locations in US. They indicated the likely changes going forward wouldn’t fit in their current business model. 

https://www.fox4now.com/news/coronavirus/sweet-tomatoes-to-stay-closed-for-good-report-says

The Brazilian churrascaria thing is next to go.  You can't go table to table with meat on a stick anymore. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

The one we have gone to they cut the meat and plate the meat. 

They do and then walk that meat to the next table then the next table and so on.  Here they cut it sometimes you use tongs to grab the piece as its sliced.  I just don't see it working like that anymore. 

10 minutes ago, trey420 said:

They do and then walk that meat to the next table then the next table and so on.  Here they cut it sometimes you use tongs to grab the piece as its sliced.  I just don't see it working like that anymore. 

I do. I see it as business as usual for those types of buffets. 

3 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I do. I see it as business as usual for those types of buffets. 

Cool, I hope you're right and I'm wrong.  I love fogo here in Houston.   But I won't be there for a bit till I see how things go.

4 minutes ago, trey420 said:

Cool, I hope you're right and I'm wrong.  I love fogo here in Houston.   But I won't be there for a bit till I see how things go.

Time will tell. I think we can agree things will be different in many restaurants, buffet or not. 

• Like 1

Just like there are no more samples at Costco, no more self-serve at Whole Foods, no more breakfast buffets in hotels and several buffet restaurant chains bankrupt, cruise buffets will be very different when cruises resume.  I would be surprised if they allow passengers to touch any serving utensils.  Hand washing will be strictly enforced for all dining venues to be sure. 

The gluttonous days are over for good - no more gluttony on the high seas.  Piling massive amounts of food on a plate with utensils touched by thousands was never a good idea. It's sad it took a pandemic for some people to realize this.  For years, food safety organizations have been warning about what they called Bacterial Buffets that offer All-You-Can-Eat Illnesses. 

The gluttonous days are over for good - no more gluttony on the high seas.  Piling massive amounts of food on a plate with utensils touched by thousands was never a good idea. It's sad it took a pandemic for some people to realize this.  For years, food safety organizations have been warning about what they called Bacterial Buffets that offer All-You-Can-Eat Illnesses. 

In the MDR table mates have ordered two or three entrees, multiple deserts etc. Gluttony will continue....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

The gluttonous days are over for good - no more gluttony on the high seas. 

On behalf of Windjammerites everywhere, I am highly offended*. You want to see gluttony, head to the MDR. And don't get me started on Chops people. 

* not really. 

1 hour ago, SeaHunt said:

Just remembering when a big advertising slogan for Virgin Voyages was "no kids, NO BUFFET, and no Limits" 😁

Virgin did well not to have buffets and MDRs -- they are now well poised to better handle the health regulations once cruising restarts.  The Scarlet Lady has 20 speciality restaurants where everything is made to order and no upcharges.  Would be nice if Royal followed this concept.  Sorry Windjammerites -- don't mean to offend. 🤪

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Virgin did well not to have buffets and MDRs -- they are now well poised to better handle the health regulations once cruising restarts.  The Scarlet Lady has 20 speciality restaurants where everything is made to order and no upcharges.  Would be nice if Royal followed this concept.  Sorry Windjammerites -- don't mean to offend. 🤪

With those two words RCI will now ignore anything else that you have to say.😉😄

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 4:56 PM, Spunky946 said:

Well I hate the windjammer, and we eat in the mdr whenever 

possible.  I’d bet that it will be there, but won’t be self service.

I'm with you on this. I haven't paid all that money to queue up to serve myself my dinner into a plastic plate and scramble to find somewhere to sit!