Will we ever see Icon of the Seas?

Its my dream to travel with Icon one day. Its like one of the biggest ships out there. Well, their operations will be limited for sure but its not like they are going anywhere. The demand on such cruisers will still remain quite high. I myself will want to travel with it someday.. need to check prices and availability 

19 minutes ago, BP99 said:

If they keep holding up our money they could

call it "Refund of the Seas".

Maybe the funniest think I have read here in a while. 

This is actually a good question and probably a tough answer. Who knows what will happen to any other the ships not in production and in concept land. Eventually anything can happen but that’s unknown. 

Its my dream to travel with Icon one day. Its like one of the biggest ships out there. Well, their operations will be limited for sure but its not like they are going anywhere. The demand on such cruisers will still remain quite high. I myself will want to travel with it someday.. need to check prices and availability 

If it's ever built, you mean. I don't think anyone would be surprised by a postponement, if not an outright cancellation.

With so much attention on "When will we cruise again"  there is little to no information on ship building other than it is stopped for now.  All the cruise lines are juggling for now, might make for a fun stage show when cruising starts.  I have not seen a synopsis on the status of construction of new ships.  Maybe this information is in an annual report or other shareholder reports.  Does anyone have information on this?

As I've said before, I don't see a path forward that doesn't lead to every cruise operator ending up in bankruptcy reorganization.  So, I don't know what cruise companies will even exist and in what fashion in two years.  If the construction has begun, I imagine something will come of it.  But the days of anyone wanting to hear about a ship with 5,000 passengers are dead.

55 minutes ago, zonacruiser25 said:

Maybe this information is in an annual report or other shareholder reports.  Does anyone have information on this?

RCCL's quarterly report would normally have been out by now, but SEC has given companies up to 45 days after the 5/11 deadline to post them. These reports only include general timelines on delivery of new ships - not sure that will change.

10 minutes ago, hapster85 said:

In this environment? Definitely no guarantee of that.

Yes, construction has started... the first hull sections have been finished... they are waiting to be transferred to Turku. This won´t happen until the Mardi Gras is leaving Turku.

steamboats

• Like 1

Yes, construction has started... the first hull sections have been finished... they are waiting to be transferred to Turku. This won´t happen until the Mardi Gras is leaving Turku.

steamboats
I wasn't questioning the start, I was being skeptical of the completion.

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

They will complete it but maybe not in the time frame which was announced... So it may come later.

steamboats

So just say RC does go bust , would the ship yard get a government grant to finish the project and keep jobs.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

So just say RC does go bust , would the ship yard get a government grant to finish the project and keep jobs.

Rc has its financing covered already to the ship. It is one of the conditions before they sing the contract. So yes ship yard will build it to finish. Government has some guarantees in those financing solutions.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fin Cruiser said:

Rc has its financing covered already to the ship. It is one of the conditions before they sing the contract. 

That must be quite the event, singing the contract.  Sounds like a musical worse than CATS.

• Haha 1

I live in Turku and have friends and family members who are currently working in the Meyer Turku shipyard. What I have heard from them and local newspapers is: 

Constructions should have started last month, but they didn't. Some parts have built somewhere else, but nothing in Turku yet. (Fact)

Meyer Turku has announced that that instead of two cruise ships, the shipyard will hand over only one cruise ship per year. They are currently discussing about the details with Royal Caribbean and other customers. (Fact)

Shipping companies may suspend the repayment of export credits for one year. Also their loans can't be terminated on the basis of the terms of the agreement. All major European shipbuilding countries (Germany, France, Finland, Italy and Norway) have joined the arrangement. (Fact)

Icon will be built, but not in the original schedule. (Probably true)

Icon construction works in Turku will start 2022. (Just a rumor)

Nami, yes, Meyer is discussing with the cruise lines as some are not interested in getting the ships in time right now. And therefore they want to reduce the capacity to one ship per year both in Turku and Papenburg (plus maybe a small one in Papenburg).

The first hull segments have been assembled in Lithuania. The photos have been posted in the building thread.

It basically depends on the customer - RCI - whether they want the ship in time or delayed. When cruising resumes the people might be eager to sail on more environmental ships and RCI has no LNG ship yet. I don´t think the start will be delayed until 2022. Maybe second half of 2021.

steamboats

• Like 1