Chef’s Table: Is it worth it and does it book up?

Is Chef’s Table worth it? (If you’ve been)  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Why or why not?

• Yes, I go every cruise!
    • Okay, I would do it again with some OBC.
    • Once, it was an experience, but I wouldn’t do it again.
    • No, it wasn’t worth it.

After our April cruise was cancelled, and now our August cruise cancelled, we are booked on the Magic in December with a large amount of OBC. We are planning the Steakhouse the first night, and plan to eat in the MDR every night. I wouldn’t say we are foodies, but it looks like an experience and since this is planned to be our last vacation for a while, we are going all out. At $190 for two, it’s basically the price of an excursion, and we look at it the same way weighing price vs. experience. If you’ve done it, can you say if it was or wasn’t worth it? If you’d go again or never?

Second, do you find that it’s all booked up before you board? With our OBC I would prefer to wait to book excursions (nothing too fancy or exotic) til we can use our OBC, but if I have to purchase this ahead of time I can. 

Edited by wardamnweagle

First: Thank you for not being ANOTHER refund poster.

Secondly, we had a riot at our Chef's Table experience.  It was certainly a must-do for us.  I don't know if we'll do it again, but I have absolutely no regrets for having gone the once.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Don Kehote said:

First: Thank you for not being ANOTHER refund poster.

Secondly, we had a riot at our Chef's Table experience.  It was certainly a must-do for us.  I don't know if we'll do it again, but I have absolutely no regrets for having gone the once.

I'm sure I’ll have plenty to post about in the coming months. I’m an interior cruiser who smuggles booze onboard, and now I’m in a Cloud 9 balcony with a drink package. 

I really want to go, but DH does not care. It isn’t that she doesn’t want to, but southern girls are about some BBQ and seafood. She’s worried the froo-froo food will just be a disappointment. 

Maybe I’ll just ask for it for my birthday in a month, then she’ll have to go with me!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Don Kehote said:

we had a riot at our Chef's Table experience.  

Lol I misread it the first time and pictured a riot with people throwing food at each other 

I'm not talking it up, but I plan to sign up as early as possible after I board. FOOD FIGHT. Lol

• Haha 1

We did the Chef’s Table on Valor in 2016 and loved it

We are not foodies per se, so despite 5 subsequent cruises, we have not done it again

Chef’s Table is definitely something that every Carnival cruiser should try at least once

I have always thought of the Chef's Table as an excursion, not a meal.

If you are truly meat and potatoes oriented I would advise you to spend your money elsewhere.  If you think you would enjoy a culinary experience, try it.

I don't like spoilers so I hesitate to say too much.  I will say wine, a surprise or two, personal descriptions from a chef, more food than a person can eat (translates to if you don't like the first bite of a course, set it aside), an interesting tour of the galley.

On the Dream class ships it is held in the galley.  That has both pro and cons, the biggest downside is that at times it might be a bit difficult to hear the chef.

It is always the highlight of my cruise regardless of ship or itinerary.

I can't address timing your booking.  I know on some ships extra nights are scheduled if too many request it.  I have always booked ahead but it is only recently that they instituted the policy of paying at the time of booking.

I hope something here is helpful.  Happy sailing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wardamnweagle said:

I'm sure I’ll have plenty to post about in the coming months. I’m an interior cruiser who smuggles booze onboard, and now I’m in a Cloud 9 balcony with a drink package. 

I really want to go, but DH does not care. It isn’t that she doesn’t want to, but southern girls are about some BBQ and seafood. She’s worried the froo-froo food will just be a disappointment. 

Maybe I’ll just ask for it for my birthday in a month, then she’ll have to go with me!

Even though you are married, you are allowed to do separate activities when needed.

• Like 1

Loved Chefs Table.Did it last cruise with my niece,and really enjoyed the experience.We had

a really great group of people so made it fun.I would do it again.Probably not every cruise as 

that would make it routine.Really nice if you and your dinner partner really enjoy food,and the experience.

We’ve done it twice and enjoyed it both times. My husband is a chef, and I’d say we’re definitely foodies.  If the Mardi Gras sails in January🤞🏻🤞🏻, our daughter and SIL are going with us, both chefs, we’ll do it again. 

I tried it back on the Spirit in 2010, with the original menu. I enjoyed 90% of the food items and wine was free flowing. They changed the menu, and I would probably only like 20% of it, so I doubt I would try it again. You can find the menu online with a google search, if you haven’t seen it before, and decide if it’s worth it for you.

It is very popular, so I would probably book in advance.

We have experienced Chef's Table twice and both times were impressive!  Allow enough time (at least 3 hours) and be prepared for many courses.  Try to pace yourself but it is difficult with so many delicious dishes. Carnival suggests wearing closed-toed shoes without heels, but I have worn slides with heels and been fine.  Just be careful when walking through the galley.

If you decide to do Chef's Table, enjoy!!😃

21 hours ago, wardamnweagle said:

After our April cruise was cancelled, and now our August cruise cancelled, we are booked on the Magic in December with a large amount of OBC. We are planning the Steakhouse the first night, and plan to eat in the MDR every night. I wouldn’t say we are foodies, but it looks like an experience and since this is planned to be our last vacation for a while, we are going all out. At $190 for two, it’s basically the price of an excursion, and we look at it the same way weighing price vs. experience. If you’ve done it, can you say if it was or wasn’t worth it? If you’d go again or never?

Second, do you find that it’s all booked up before you board? With our OBC I would prefer to wait to book excursions (nothing too fancy or exotic) til we can use our OBC, but if I have to purchase this ahead of time I can. 

I love the chefs table.  I have done it four times and never had a bad experience.  I do not do it every cruise.  It is some of the best meals I have ever had.  

Royal does a better job in my opinion but I do enjoy the Chef's Table on Carnival.

Both bring new foods that you might not normally try, but they also bring new ideas on preparation and presentation.

An example would be a plain Greek olive vs. a marinated Greek olive vs. a slice of parmesan cheese followed by a marinated Greek olive vs, a marinated Greek olive wrapped with cotton candy. The purpose of this was to show you different prep ideas and how each prep idea changed the entire flavor experience.

What Royal adds to this is a 1/2 hour informal meet-n-greet beforehand with champagne with a sommelier pairing a different wine from around the world with each course. My wine experience with Carnival was they just put out bottles of Red and White and you could have some.

Edited by klfrodo

6 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Royal does a better job in my opinion but I do enjoy the Chef's Table on Carnival.

Both bring new foods that you might not normally try, but they also bring new ideas on preparation and presentation.

An example would be a plain Greek olive vs. a marinated Greek olive vs. a slice of parmesan cheese followed by a marinated Greek olive vs, a marinated Greek olive wrapped with cotton candy. The purpose of this was to show you different prep ideas and how each prep idea changed the entire flavor experience.

What Royal adds to this is a 1/2 hour informal meet-n-greet beforehand with champagne with a sommelier pairing a different wine from around the world with each course. My wine experience with Carnival was they just put out bottles of Red and White and you could have some.

RCI sounds yummy as well! I remember at both Carnival Chef's Table, champagne (sparkling wine) was poured while we were in the galley, listening to the chef and eating appetizers.  Then when we were seated for dinner, red or white wine was offered.  The wine was fine but there wasn't any pairing with courses, which sounds great! Klfrodo, do you remember the cost of RCI's Chef's Table?  TIA!