Price Drop

JVNYC

Just now, JVNYC said:

What was her reason for advising to wait?

I am looking at SS Moon to the MidEast:  new ship, there's no guarantee it will be ready (scheduled to be ready this October), might change ports.  She didn't want me to tie up my funds for 18 months for an 18 day cruise/flight that is rather unknown.  I usually pay in full early and receive a discount.  Flights are also a big unknown as are the countries in the MidEast and their policies.

SB is running 2 similar itineraries in Nov of 21 but they haven't hit the solo sale list yet like SS.  That's another reason to wait:  if those are added to the solo sale, then that gives me the choice of 3.

I certainly understand the logic; perhaps I"m just looking to have a cruise on the '21 calendar!

On 5/18/2020 at 11:25 AM, Mark56 said:

Of course you do what you want. But If you give them money you should expect you'll never see it again if they go bankrupt. All of us are being held hostage right now and have paid for canceled cruises and they are not giving it back except for a very few lucky ones. I would until we're all made whole, cruises are happening and their financial situation looks stable before you risk your money buying a cruise.

Mark56, you are saying EXACTLY what my (retired) business bankruptcy attorney husband is saying.  There is NO WAY we would send Seabourn money right now.  Like many of you, they have $1000 of our money in the form of a FCD.  That's ok. If we lose that, we will most certainly survive.  I wish Seabourn the very best and I'm pulling for them.  

• Thanks 1

We have used our cancellation from Seabourn to book a cruise in April.   As of Jan 2020 we paid for our original cruise in full so we are sailing next year with money we consider spent.   If I had received a refund, I am not sure where I would put the money to receive a 25% increase.   Had we had it we probably would have lost much of  it in the Stock Market.   I am betting on Seabourn to continue sailing.

43 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We have used our cancellation from Seabourn to book a cruise in April.   As of Jan 2020 we paid for our original cruise in full so we are sailing next year with money we consider spent.   If I had received a refund, I am not sure where I would put the money to receive a 25% increase.   Had we had it we probably would have lost much of  it in the Stock Market.   I am betting on Seabourn to continue sailing.

You’ll get your answer eventually.

What Seabourn will look like after this (and maybe a second wave) nobody knows now. 

You could be a big winner if prices go down, break even if they go up and a loser if Seabourn is gone (or significantly changed).

Time will tell. I hope it works out well for you.

Well there maybe a price drop on some sailings, but I was looking to rebook our cancelled Amazon trip for next year and the same cruise is now priced at 60% more.

So I'm not jumping on that.

Original voyage:  April 2020.

Price for an OB veranda in May 2019 -   $4299  (increased in July to $4999)

Current Price for same voyage April 2021 $6999

Even those sitting with FCC's of 25% will be in for a surprise on that one

Slightly off topic (sorry) but cruises next year are being discussed.

We are booked on the inaugural cruise on Venture in July 2021.

Has anyone heard anything about the ship and how the build is going?

I presume it will be delayed but I can’t find any news about it.

I highly doubt it will be on time.  T Mariotti shipyard is in Venice and of course was hard hit with CV19.  I cannot find info on if they suspended or modified work schedules for the ship constructions.  My guess would be that the the ship will be delayed.  I could not find out if they stooped production during CV19 but Fincantieri, the major shipyard in Italy suspended operations for a few weeks, so I imagine so too did Mariotti.  Also, construction needs the owners to be present periodically at the shipyard to check on the construction and OK the progress.  This has not been possible since early/mid March.  

The keel was laid in December, 2019 so I thought it was a bit ambitious to have a July date for sailing.  Then again they built the Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest and delivered them ontime.

I am sure there are clauses in the construction contract (as late delivery usually incur penalties upon the construction yard) about pandemic or force majure to allow them a little wiggle room in the delivery.

Time will tell and my money is on it not being delivered on time.

35 minutes ago, cruisr said:

I highly doubt it will be on time.  T Mariotti shipyard is in Venice and of course was hard hit with CV19.  I cannot find info on if they suspended or modified work schedules for the ship constructions.  My guess would be that the the ship will be delayed.  I could not find out if they stooped production during CV19 but Fincantieri, the major shipyard in Italy suspended operations for a few weeks, so I imagine so too did Mariotti.  Also, construction needs the owners to be present periodically at the shipyard to check on the construction and OK the progress.  This has not been possible since early/mid March.  

The keel was laid in December, 2019 so I thought it was a bit ambitious to have a July date for sailing.  Then again they built the Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest and delivered them ontime.

I am sure there are clauses in the construction contract (as late delivery usually incur penalties upon the construction yard) about pandemic or force majure to allow them a little wiggle room in the delivery.

Time will tell and my money is on it not being delivered on time.

What about SB - do they have any wiggle room to delay the delivery due to financial constraints?

What takes priority - repaying deposits and refunds for cancelled cruises or pay for a new ship?

I know what the answer of many SB loyalists would be that are owed a lot of money at the moment as well as that of those that have no dog in this fight (financially).

Edited by Paulchili

I don’t want to hijack this thread but payments would have been made at varying intervals before and during construction with a final payment balance being transfered upon a satisfied delivery   It would not make sense to default and lose the ship for not making payments.  I would rather see Stein Kruse forgo his annual salary and his stock options. 

1 hour ago, cruisr said:

I don’t want to hijack this thread but payments would have been made at varying intervals before and during construction with a final payment balance being transfered upon a satisfied delivery   It would not make sense to default and lose the ship for not making payments

I get that but can the final payment to the shipyard be delayed like it is being delayed to the customers (by 90 days or so)(?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I get that but can the final payment to the shipyard be delayed like it is being delayed to the customers (by 90 days or so)(?

All depends Paul what the Ts & Cs in the contract have to say. 

3 minutes ago, rallydave said:

All depends Paul what the Ts & Cs in the contract have to say. 

I suspect that the shipyard wouldn't take it lying down like we have to.

I don't think our T&Cs say that SB has 90 days or more to pay us back - do they?

15 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I suspect that the shipyard wouldn't take it lying down like we have to.

I don't think our T&Cs say that SB has 90 days or more to pay us back - do they?

Nothing in our T&C about refunds.  Could sue but, not worth the effort, cost more than what you would get back unless you have a Lawyer on retainer.

Remember always better to be the one writing the Contract and that is generally the seller and sure the big shipyards have all types of clauses to cover payments or lack thereof.    And, don't forget the writer of the Contract puts the location for filing any suits in a state or country that is favorable to them.

Used to write and negotiate Contracts for dollars much larger than the costs of the biggest Cruise Ships so lots of t's to cross and i's to dot and lots of time before finally signing the Contract.