new to oceania and I have a question

fullofship

thinking about booking a 17 day transatlantic on the riviera in march of 2022...including air, the price for me and my husband is about $10,000.  Oceania is asking for a $3,000 deposit for a cruise 2 years away?  they said it's 2 cruises together...is that amount possible?  It's 30% of the fare!  

You are booked on what Oceania calls a “Grand Voyage”.  Other cruise lines call it a back to back.   Your deposit is not based on the cost of your cabin or suite, see below... Per the Oceania Terms and Conditions:

Deposit & Payment Policy  
The per person, per cruise deposit required to secure your reservation is 20% of the applicable cruise fare for Owner's, Vista and Oceania Suites and $750 for all other suite/stateroom categories; for Grand Voyages the per person deposit is $1,500. Bookings made more than 120 days from sailing are required to deposit 20% of the applicable cruise fare for Owner's, Vista, and Oceania Suites and $750 for all other suite/stateroom categories within 7 days of booking. Bookings made between 91 and 120 days of sailing are required to deposit by the end of the booking day. Bookings not deposited as per this schedule will automatically be cancelled. 

1 hour ago, fullofship said:

thinking about booking a 17 day transatlantic on the riviera in march of 2022...including air, the price for me and my husband is about $10,000.  Oceania is asking for a $3,000 deposit for a cruise 2 years away?  they said it's 2 cruises together...is that amount possible?  It's 30% of the fare!  

I assume it's the cruise sailing  March 18 . that cruise is listed as a "Grand Voyage" and hence requires a $1500 per person deposit:

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005305934-What-is-your-deposit-and-payment-policy-

"For Grand Voyages, the per person deposit is $1,500"

4 hours ago, fullofship said:

Yes, that is correct amount for a Grand Voyage ($1,500 pp), which is a combination of 2 (or more?) b2b cruises.  Are you working with a TA with is knowledgeable with Oceania, or with Oceania directly?  

Edited by 1985rz1

On 5/21/2020 at 6:53 PM, fullofship said:

$3,000 deposit on a cruise 2 years out? All I can say is "have you learned NOTHING from the last 3 months?"

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Another question or 2.  Do I want a veranda or a PH3?  What are the perks?  And dress code for dinner?  We are not dress up kind of people...does he need a jacket?  I don't do skirts if I can help it at all.

TIA

As far as veranda vs. penthouse, it depends on whether you want more space and a butler, or not.  The Riviera veranda cabins are quite comfortable and the bathrooms are more than adequate.  However, if you are on a longer cruise having the extra space is always nice.  Oceania's dress code is called "country-club casual".  You don't need to dress up at night at all, beyond not wearing shorts or jeans.  That being said, many men wear sport jackets to the specialty restaurants and women may wear a dress or long skirt.  But a nice top and pants is always appropriate.  Not dressing up is one of the things people like about Oceania.

• Like 1

1. There are multiple threads dedicated to dress codes on Oceania. No personal need to add to the 1000s of posts on that subject.

2. Most importantly. Your cruise is nearly two years away. I would recommend waiting until after Oceania starts sailing again, and query people that have actually sailed post shutdown on these subjects. Otherwise the responses may be as valid and up to date as some of those summer cruises Oceania is advertising, or what the Pilgrims wore on the Mayflower.  Waiting to learn from actual future cruisers will still give you a year to fill the suitcases,

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, fullofship said:

Another question or 2.  Do I want a veranda or a PH3?  What are the perks?  And dress code for dinner?  We are not dress up kind of people...does he need a jacket?  I don't do skirts if I can help it at all.

TIA

personal choice  as to the cabin issue

We are fine  in  a regular Balcony cabin  & other will only sail in a PH

You can compare the perks for the different cabin Cat  at

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/suites-staterooms/penthouse-suite/

No Jacket or tie required for men

I have not worn a skirt in years  😉

A nice pr of slacks & a nice top  works fine even in the specialties ..I do take a cardigan or Pashmina  as some rooms can be chilly 

Enjoy

Avoid the forward staterooms as the bridge blocks the view.  There are big metal structures that hang down from the bridge.

Also, this is kind of picky but we were in 10018 once and it is right where the wake from the bow breaks on the hull so if the seas are at all rough, the balcony gets sprayed all day long, even up on deck 10.  We try to stay mid ship but then you get into the PH2’s.  It’s worth the few hundred dollar difference in price IMHO.

3 hours ago, fullofship said:

Can anyone suggest a good PH3 as far as location?

What about  Deck 9 aft  ?

You may get some vibration when entering or leaving port  but  I think most of the ship shakes then anyway 😉

Has anyone had a flight earlier than 11:00 coming out of MIA after being on Riviera? I have TSA precheck and global entry.The schedule has debarkation at 8:00.Is that an estimate are is that the normal time?Thanks.

Rick

1 hour ago, quartetman said:

Has anyone had a flight earlier than 11:00 coming out of MIA after being on Riviera? I have TSA precheck and global entry.The schedule has debarkation at 8:00.Is that an estimate are is that the normal time?Thanks.

Rick

You will find people that say they have done it  but  in the "NEW"  World  of travel will all the checks going through security etc  will it even be possible in the future

Personally  I  would not book it

YMMV

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

You will find people that say they have done it  but  in the "NEW"  World  of travel will all the checks going through security etc  will it even be possible in the future

Personally  I  would not book it

YMMV

Thanks LHT28 I just booked a 1:30 flight instead that should give us plenty of time.We can always go to the delta club.Thanks for your quick replay.Have you ever been on Riviera and if so stayed on deck 10 in a PH3 We're in 10021 and wonder if that is too far forward? 

8 minutes ago, quartetman said:

Thanks LHT28 I just booked a 1:30 flight instead that should give us plenty of time.We can always go to the delta club.Thanks for your quick replay.Have you ever been on Riviera and if so stayed on deck 10 in a PH3 We're in 10021 and wonder if that is too far forward? 

We have been on the O class  ships  but  only deck 7, 8 & 9  I usually book behind the forward elevators  as I do not like  too far forward incase of  bumpy seas

Just depends if you suffer from the  "motion of the ocean "

The PH's are not part of what Oceania considers "top suites", although they do come with a butler. As far as what you're asking about, the answer is it probably all depends. There are some guests that do get special privileges from time to time, but they are not listed perks. Those in top suites are more likely to get them. 

15 minutes ago, fullofship said:

but all the PH's do get free unlimited wifi, correct?  and we all have access to the PH lounge or whatever it is called?  TIA

Everyone gets a free wifi but only 1 account or 1 device at a time/cabin (except OS, VS get 2)).

PH and above have access to executive lounge on O class ships

Edited by Paulchili

3 hours ago, quartetman said:

Does Oceania offer priority debarkation for suite guest? How is debarkation handled?

Rick

In the past, a questionnaire was sent around to all passengers a couple days prior to de embarkment asking your needed de boarding time. Based upon those replies, everyone is then given color coded tags for their suitcases and asked to not attempt leaving before your color code is called. FWIW, complying with this drill has far exceeded the mental capacity of many of the cruisers. It is typically the most disorganized event of the cruise.

Now Oceania is in a situation where they must maintain some semblance of order and maintain some physical distancing. I believe FDR stated that this was a role they would undertake by necessity. We currently have no idea on how they plan to implement this in the future.