Social Distancing during Embarkation

mikeflower

On 6/4/2020 at 5:05 PM, ldubs said:

Thanks CruiserBruce.  

One thing that I continue to be a little confused about is who should be tested.  I know early on test resources were limited and rationed to those with symptoms.   Now testing is more available.  One of the decision indicators used is number of tests conducted.  Seems more tests are better but then our State's public health website still says not to go for a test unless advised by a doctor.   

Two tests.

One is if you have the virus currently.  Those tests are mainly being used to confirm that the person has COVID and not something else.  And those tested are sick enough to need medical treatment.

There is some testing for people without symptoms, but not that many.

The other test is for antibodies, to determine if a person has HAD it.  This one is fairly new, and the tests have fairly high error rates.  This one is more useful, IF having had it, you are now immune.  This has not been proven, but seems to be so.  There were some early reports of re-infections, but it turned out the people were not actually over it.

2 minutes ago, SRF said:

Two tests.

One is if you have the virus currently.  Those tests are mainly being used to confirm that the person has COVID and not something else.  And those tested are sick enough to need medical treatment.

There is some testing for people without symptoms, but not that many.

The other test is for antibodies, to determine if a person has HAD it.  This one is fairly new, and the tests have fairly high error rates.  This one is more useful, IF having had it, you are now immune.  This has not been proven, but seems to be so.  There were some early reports of re-infections, but it turned out the people were not actually over it.

In our county everyone, symptoms or not, are being asked to get tested.   One of the decision-making indicators they are using is at least 200 tests per 100,000 resident population per day.   These are the virus detection tests.   

Thinking of embarkation - I wonder if the current uptick in COVID infections in Florida following easing of restrictions might impact the scheduled early August sailings from Florida ports.

The next couple of weeks might see more, rather than less, concern.

Edited by navybankerteacher

12 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Thinking of embarkation - I wonder if the current uptick in COVID infections in Florida following easing of restrictions might impact the scheduled early August sailings from Florida ports.

The next couple of weeks might see more, rather than less, concern.

I think that's definitely going to happen. And I've little doubt that CDC, unless they've been totally corrupted, won't lift their sailing restriction. How could they not? If I had to make a bet, I'd bet nothing this calendar year.

On 6/6/2020 at 7:16 PM, ldubs said:

In our county everyone, symptoms or not, are being asked to get tested.   One of the decision-making indicators they are using is at least 200 tests per 100,000 resident population per day.   These are the virus detection tests.   

Again, that is a snap shot of NOW.   You could could have been exposed, but just have't grow enough virus to show, or you had it a month ago, but had little or no symptoms.

And unless they are picking those who are tested, by a statistically proper system, the numbers still don't mean a lot statistically.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Again, that is a snap shot of NOW.   You could could have been exposed, but just have't grow enough virus to show, or you had it a month ago, but had little or no symptoms.

And unless they are picking those who are tested, by a statistically proper system, the numbers still don't mean a lot statistically.

Yep the test will indicate the percent positives of those tested.  I thought that kind of obvious but maybe am not following your point, unless it is that the system isn't perfect.  Anyway, as we get more people tested there will be a better picture of what is happening in our county.