Social Distancing during Embarkation

mikeflower

Are there any proposed cruise line policies to integrate Social Distancing while being herded together during sign in/embarkation?

I think I can fend for myself while aboard but the process of on-boarding has me scared. Any thoughts aside from "don't go"?

I was listening to a doctor last night who treats virus patients... he basically said if you wash your hands and don't touch your face you will not get the virus, so social distancing to the extent required now may be less of an issue.  I know when I am out doing errands no always possible to be completely at 6' distance, pass some folks... would guess the same issue will be for boarding an airplane.    We will see.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe they will give everyone a timeslot for embarkation which is enforced to spread more embarkation over a longer time.

it's also possible to do more of the check-in at home to reduce the time needed during embarkation. The "keys" can be mailed to speed things up during check-in and the photo can also be taken at home.

The social distancing while onboard may be harder to handle for many.

7 hours ago, mikeflower said:

Are there any proposed cruise line policies to integrate Social Distancing while being herded together during sign in/embarkation?

I think I can fend for myself while aboard but the process of on-boarding has me scared. Any thoughts aside from "don't go"?

You are going to be in many crowded situations while onboard the vessel as you are on embarkation.  Social distancing on board a ship will be impossible to achieve.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, pris993 said:

I was listening to a doctor last night who treats virus patients... he basically said if you wash your hands and don't touch your face you will not get the virus, so social distancing to the extent required now may be less of an issue.  I know when I am out doing errands no always possible to be completely at 6' distance, pass some folks... would guess the same issue will be for boarding an airplane.    We will see.

Hmmm, strange that a respiratory virus, that is shed through breathing, would not be infectious when inhaled.

Either that doctor is an idiot or your missed part of what he said.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, spookwife said:

most obvious answer would be to  actually ENFORCE your listed check in time to limit the number of people in line at security  

Certainly “step one”;   but recalling what is regularly shown on TV of crowds in areas which are opening up, it seems that there is little interest in distancing — and it is hard to see it practiced given the “faster to the fun” mentality.  

It it would seem that stricly enforced time slots would be an important reminder of the necessity of distancing throughout the cruise —- but does anyone seriously believe that six-foot spacing will be anything other than an occasional exception on a cruise ship?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Hmmm, strange that a respiratory virus, that is shed through breathing, would not be infectious when inhaled.

There are many idiots out there and the title doctor does not exclude them all. I received a FB message from a friend in Bulgaria quoting an immunologist there who said “sanitizing is for cockroaches and bacteria. Virus (apparently including Noro?) is spread only by human contact”. And their country believe him!

So I guess no one ever got noro or any other virus from handrails or the buffet!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Certainly “step one”;   but recalling what is regularly shown on TV of crowds in areas which are opening up, it seems that there is little interest in distancing — and it is hard to see it practiced given the “faster to the fun” mentality.  

It it would seem that stricly enforced time slots would be an important reminder of the necessity of distancing throughout the cruise —- but does anyone seriously believe that six-foot spacing will be anything other than an occasional exception on a cruise ship?

4 hours ago, SRF said:

Don't not believe either the case.  Dr was not an idiot, on the front lines of treated the virus and I did not miss his point.

Ref your point... if you are concerned beyond washing hands and not touching fast, you can wear a mask, which would prevent an exposure if someone sneezes or coughs.    By the time cruising opens up I would guess we will all know more about the virus and prevention.

2 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

There are many idiots out there and the title doctor does not exclude them all. I received a FB message from a friend in Bulgaria quoting an immunologist there who said “sanitizing is for cockroaches and bacteria. Virus (apparently including Noro?) is spread only by human contact”. And their country believe him!

So I guess no one ever got noro or any other virus from handrails or the buffet!

Agree not all doctors are created equal.  It seems some at CDC do not know that much either.  They have made many mistakes already relative to the virus.   Time will tell who is right. 

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Maybe they should allow seniors to board first, with an early time slot in the future.    Agree distancing would be hard to do.

12 hours ago, mikeflower said:

My opinion:

By the time ships start sailing again, the need for social distancing will be minimal.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, mikeflower said:

If I may be blunt, if embarkation worries you, it's probably best to forego cruising for a while.  I don't mean that in a snide way.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

If I may be blunt, if embarkation worries you, it's probably best to forego cruising for a while.  I don't mean that in a snide way.

Agree. If social distancing at embarkation is required, it is what will be done. Not sure why that is unclear. I get the concern relative to social distancing on board as opposed to during the embarkation time frame, its a good point. But the fact is, Covid is and will change a lot of things we do in our daily lives.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pris993 said:

. he basically said if you wash your hands and don't touch your face you will not get the virus, so social distancing to the extent required now may be less of an issue. ...

A doctor who says this does not understand how COVID is transmitted person to person.

• Like 2

Social distancing and cruising hmmm, don't really go. Cabin doors are virtually next t each other, muster drill would not be possible with social distancing. Personally, I think cruising will be a no no until the virus is either eliminated or there is a vaccine.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Are you a doctor?? 

One does not have to be a doctor to understand reliable reports from many sources about how COVID virus is transmitted person to person.  

And such understanding means knowing that someone who quotes a doctor as having said that you will not get the COVID virus if you just wash your hands and avoid touching your face - so social distancing is not important - is either  misquoting that doctor (most likely) or is quoting a doctor who does not understand how COVID is transmitted.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

One does not have to be a doctor to understand reliable reports from many sources about how COVID virus is transmitted person to person.  

And such understanding means knowing that someone who quotes a doctor as having said that you will not get the COVID virus if you just wash your hands and avoid touching your face - so social distancing is not important - is either  misquoting that doctor (most likely) or is quoting a doctor who does not understand how COVID is transmitted.

I reported what I heard a practicing doctor reported from  his experience on the front lines of treating patients and you questioned me and or the expertise of the doctor.   Believe what you want.  I agree don't have to be a doctor, I did work in a medical doctor's office for 20 years til February, I also worked for the fed govt teaching wellness program among other things for 30 years, so I know heard and was sharing it.  It will be the guidance I follow until I hear something else that is worth it to me.  Do as you please.

1 hour ago, pris993 said:

I reported what I heard a practicing doctor reported from  his experience on the front lines of treating patients and you questioned me and or the expertise of the doctor.   Believe what you want.  I agree don't have to be a doctor, I did work in a medical doctor's office for 20 years til February, I also worked for the fed govt teaching wellness program among other things for 30 years, so I know heard and was sharing it.  It will be the guidance I follow until I hear something else that is worth it to me.  Do as you please.

So he wore no PPE on the front lines? Clearly he thought it unnecessary. I would like to believe based on your writing skills that you misunderstood, but I also know there are quacks out there spreading misinformation.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think that enforced time slots is a good idea as long as I can choose a time when I book. I'm not interested in a 4 pm check-in time if the check- in begins at 10 am.

For some passengers six-foot spacing is no problem most of the time but everyone can't have it on a big ship. In the Haven or the Yacht Club six-foot spacing is possible most of the time once you get there. 

On 5/25/2020 at 1:49 AM, pris993 said:

I would love to chat with your doctor friend :).  How would he/she explain the high number of healthcare workers, who caught COVID-19.  These are professionals who were wearing protective gear, did frequent hand washing, know not to touch their face (which are often protected by masks and face guards),.....and yet a fair percentage did catch the virus.  I would assume your doctor friend is also well aware that COVID-19 can easily be spread by a sneeze cough, or even heavy breathing!   One of NBC's consultant physicians (Joseph Fair) contracted the virus.  According to him (and after investigation) it is believed he got it while on a crowded airline flight where he wore a fitted N-95 mask.  It is believed he caught the virus through his eyes!  And keep in mind that Dr Fair is a trained epidemiologist.  In NYC, many  (3000+) doctors, paramedics and nurses who worked with the COVID-19 cases got the virus!   All of these folks are well versed in proper hand washing and not touching one's face...yet they got the virus (and some died).

Hank

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I'm not interested in a 4 pm check-in time if the check- in begins at 10 am.

That's funny. I'd prefer that. Have a great lunch at a local restaurant and then board. Have a nap and go to dinner )

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I would love to chat with your doctor friend :).

I would also. Wonder what his/her specialty is. And if ethical should perhaps keep his mouth shut since he's not correct. I'm not a doctor but I research this constantly.

55 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I would love to chat with your doctor friend :).  How would he/she explain the high number of healthcare workers, who caught COVID-19.  These are professionals who were wearing protective gear, did frequent hand washing, know not to touch their face (which are often protected by masks and face guards),.....and yet a fair percentage did catch the virus.  I would assume your doctor friend is also well aware that COVID-19 can easily be spread by a sneeze cough, or even heavy breathing!   One of NBC's consultant physicians (Joseph Fair) contracted the virus.  According to him (and after investigation) it is believed he got it while on a crowded airline flight where he wore a fitted N-95 mask.  It is believed he caught the virus through his eyes!  And keep in mind that Dr Fair is a trained epidemiologist.  In NYC, many  (3000+) doctors, paramedics and nurses who worked with the COVID-19 cases got the virus!   All of these folks are well versed in proper hand washing and not touching one's face...yet they got the virus (and some died).

Hank

I saw this on one of the TV stations, a doctor on the front lines of treating folks in NYC was invited on to share info, this was just this past week.  Don't recall who it was.  He as speaking to the general public not health care workers.    Health care workers obviously have to use more precautions.