Celebrity Cruises Favorite food.

josephml1

On 5/27/2020 at 3:43 AM, SunsetPoint said:

This may seem weird, but the escargot.  Love 'em, and they're just not offered in many restaurants that I visit on land and so I indulge many nights when on board.

That is what my husband ate EVERY night we were on our last cruise with Celebrity 🙂 yuck

• Haha 1

On 5/26/2020 at 10:04 PM, mom says said:

Agree with their rack of lamb. The braised lamb shanks are excellent as well.

Love the lamb shanks but my French onion soup is better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Love the lamb shanks but my French onion soup is better.

Any secrets you can share as I love FOS!  I'll share some, I'm in a datapoint kind of mood 🙂 :

1)   ONIONS:  In various taste tests, onion type or onion combinations hardly made a difference that anyone will notice...Yet adding and telling people you added Vidalia onions in it will put a smile on their face 😄

2)  BROTH:  I took the X cooking class and asked the chef about the FOS, he claimed it was homemade beef broth.  If you can't make homemade and have to go store-bought, the top brands including swanson generally have "good" chicken broth and "very bad" beef broth; if you can't make your own broth go for chicken over beef 😄

3)  ALCOHOL:  Sherry is the traditional ingredient, Gordon Ramsey uses Red Cab, Princess proudly advertises they use Jack Daniels.  Some things are alcohol solubility, be sure to use something 😄

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Any secrets you can share as I love FOS!  I'll share some, I'm in a datapoint kind of mood 🙂 :

1)   ONIONS:  In various taste tests, onion type or onion combinations hardly made a difference that anyone will notice...Yet adding and telling people you added Vidalia onions in it will put a smile on their face 😄

2)  BROTH:  I took the X cooking class and asked the chef about the FOS, he claimed it was homemade beef broth.  If you can't make homemade and have to go store-bought, the top brands including swanson generally have "good" chicken broth and "very bad" beef broth; if you can't make your own broth go for chicken over beef 😄

3)  ALCOHOL:  Sherry is the traditional ingredient, Gordon Ramsey uses Red Cab, Princess proudly advertises they use Jack Daniels.  Some things are alcohol solubility, be sure to use something 😄

I  live in Hawaii and  have found Maui Onions to be the best.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

It's really no secret but the onions need to be cooked low and slow, takes about 30 to 40 minutes to bring out the natural sugars until fully caramelized. A tablespoon  of brown sugar will help it get there but can be eliminated.  I use Campbell's Beef Consomme in a can not beef broth and definitely not " ready to use" soup in a box". Consomme is richer, thicker and more flavorful. I also add a bit of Worcestershire sauce as well as 2 tablespoons French onion soup mix. I would tend to agree with you regarding the variety of onions I use plain white ones although the next time I may try Vidalia just to see if there is a difference.  While its cooking I add 2 tablespoons of Cognac only because I have it on hand as I make a Lobster corn chowder which I sell and thought let's add it to the FOS and it did bring out the flavour. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

)  BROTH:  I took the X cooking class and asked the chef about the FOS, he claimed it was homemade beef broth.

Where would they find the time to make homemade broth? I would have thought all their soup stocks would come onboard in large bags. That sure is a lot of soup to make as it's so popular. Think I'm going to take one of those classes on my next X cruise. 😃

I Always make my own beef or chicken broths.  Simple to do, just throw it on stove and let it go for a 1/2 a day.  Also been experimenting more making them with insta pots    Definitely come our richer.  I cook a chicken a week, and just save up the bones.  I always have a few containers of both in freezer to use.  The store brands all have to much salt added to them.  

• Like 1

Where do you start? Our favorite is Lobster Flambé in Murano's made by Andre on Silhouette. Andre gave us a extra lobster the second time there on the cruise in November. Also Lobster and fillet. Had that for lunch one day. Can’t get by the French Onion Soup in MDR. Escargot is very good too. Absolutely love that. Creme Broulee for desert. We are generally pretty happy with everything offered. Never tried that everyday sirloin steak yet. Don’t like thin steaks. Cafe Biaco has some good coffee drinks and deserts for an afternoon treat.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sonnycruises said:

I  live in Hawaii and  have found Maui Onions to be the best.

Did a bit of research and it appears that both Maui and Vidalia onions are too sweet and mask the flavour of the final product. However, I will try it myself as I'm now curious. 

On 5/27/2020 at 9:27 AM, marieps said:

Surprised no one has said Beef Carpaccio in Blu.  Yum.  Escargot too.

I'm sure I have had the BC in Blu. Anytime I see BC on the MDR menu I order it in Luminae. The calamari looks real good. I enjoy hearts of palm or tomatoes and goat cheese.

IMG_20160913_180641662.jpg

IMG_20160905_191700044.jpg

We order escargot several times each sailing.  Really enjoy the branzino with pomegranate sauce.  For dessert dw looks forward to the chocolate souffle (second choice is grand marnier souffle, third choice any souffle).  I will greatly miss the silver bullet in Qsine.

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

Wish the had  Guy Fieri's onboard. The best burgers and toppings.

CCL also has Guy's BBQ which get raves reviews called Pig & Anchor, free for lunch costs money for dinner yet you can get a huge BBQ sampler platter for two for only $16.  There's also Shaq's big chicken which gets great reviews on land, yet the debuting ship was in drydock before it sail.  I understand many people who like X will turn their nose at CCL or its comfort food offerings.

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

CCL also has Guy's BBQ which get raves reviews called Pig & Anchor, free for lunch costs money for dinner yet you can get a huge BBQ sampler platter for two for only $16.  There's also Shaq's big chicken which gets great reviews on land, yet the debuting ship was in drydock before it sail.  I understand many people who like X will turn their nose at CCL or its comfort food 

That is where I had them when we did a family cruise on CCL Horizon.  They were very delicious served with the hand cut French fries.  I do prefer Celebrity's food overall but the Carnival Horizons offerings in the MDR were actually pretty good.  

• Like 1