Anyone have experience in a payment extension?

I’m due to depart Barcelona in August 30th. I can’t see how there is any chance this cruise will happen. Payment is due June 1.  

I called a little while ago and the agent seemed to indicate a payment extension was possible by calling the day before or the day of payment and probably having to speak to a supervisor.

Has anyone had success in this recently? And if so how long did the extend for?

I do not want to pay in full as I’m seeing the stories of peoples waiting 60+ days for their refunds and I don’t want a FCC, I don’t know when I’ll be able to cruise again.  

Let me know if you’ve had success! 

Edited by Converse34

Our big box store travel agency delayed our final payment 10 days.  Their final payment date (at the time of booking) was two weeks before Royal's.  This has held true in all cruises we have booked through them.  The extension must be requested.

7 extra days really isn’t long enough in uncertain times.  I have a booking I’m going to ask for deposit back for October.  It’s too much money to have in their pockets for 3-4 months to get another refund.  If they were quick with refunds I’d go for it.  

• Like 1

Thanks all! I’m likely wasting my time as I can’t see them making any decisions (publicly) for August in the next 7-10 days. I will try anyway.  I do think their policy is horrendous, effectively forcing  everyone to hand thousands of dollars more over and then wait a long time time to get their money back once it does cancel or stuck with a credit. 

Edited by Converse34
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

7 extra days really isn’t long enough in uncertain times.  I have a booking I’m going to ask for deposit back for October.  It’s too much money to have in their pockets for 3-4 months to get another refund.  If they were quick with refunds I’d go for it.  

Let me know how you make out! I am calling tomorrow and will report back. 

Well, no dice.  They were willing to extend they payment 15 days for $250 for one cabin and $200 for another.  Not happening.

I refuse to give them anymore money based on how long refunds are taking.  My next step is to wait for the cruise to cancel, which it will and dispute the charge.  I really do think it’s shameful.  There’s no way this cruise is happening and they seem to only cancel once people are in the full payment window.  Awful. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Converse34 said:

There’s no way this cruise is happening and they seem to only cancel once people are in the full payment window.  Awful. 

That's been the case with previous rounds of cancellations - not unexpected. The only thing that seems to have "improved" is that they are no longer taking new bookings on some sailings which are likely to be cancelled.

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That's been the case with previous rounds of cancellations - not unexpected. The only thing that seems to have "improved" is that they are no longer taking new bookings on some sailings which are likely to be cancelled.

That’s actually worse, they know it’s going to cancel. It’s all so shady.  I expected more from Royal. 

18 minutes ago, Converse34 said:

That’s actually worse, they know it’s going to cancel. It’s all so shady.  I expected more from Royal. 

Expect less from RCI and when they do something like with the Canadian related bookings (stop taking new ones, which is an improvement from before), be pleasantly surprised.

Their current policy is bull****.  They know these sailings won't happen.  Other lines have gone ahead and cancelled the entire Med seasons, yet Royal strings you along with "we are scheduled to resume operations on August 1st". 

Royal needs to realize that: a) they are not the only cruiseline; and b) crusing isn't the only type of vacation.  Pissing off their existing customers isn't going to increase their market share when things reopen.

Edited by lovemylab
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Converse34 said:

I do think their policy is horrendous, effectively forcing  everyone to hand thousands of dollars more over and then wait a long time time to get their money back once it does cancel or stuck with a credit. 

I agree. It’s called keeping cash flow coming. 

19 minutes ago, lovemylab said:

Their current policy is bull****.  They know these sailings won't happen.  Other lines have gone ahead and cancelled the entire Med seasons, yet Royal strings you along with "we are scheduled to resume operations on August 1st". 

Royal needs to realize that: a) they are not the only cruiseline; and b) crusing isn't the only type of vacation.  Pissing off their existing customers isn't going to increase their market share when things reopen.

I’m sure it’s part of the plan. Need cash flow to stay “afloat”. 

25 minutes ago, lovemylab said:

There are many doing the same thing.

Disney, Norwegian, NSC, Costa, Regent and others still have med cruises cruises listed in August. 

I agree with this 100%. I don’t understand why there isn’t more outrage? I wrote to all of my senators and state local representatives (I live in Florida) and I haven’t had one response.  I’m sure they all think I’m bats*** crazy, but their policy is ridiculous.  Why should hard working people “float” RCCL with an interest free loan?! 

im not a regular cruiser and this certainly has me thinking twice about ever booking one again. Pathetic. 

32 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There are many doing the same thing.

Disney, Norwegian, NSC, Costa, Regent and others still have med cruises cruises listed in August. 

I'm aware that not all lines have cancelled, but that doesn't change the fact that what Royal is doing is complete bull****.

Princess, Carnival and HAL cancelled all Europe/Alaska/Canada sailings in early May when it became obvious the season wouldn't be happening.  Other lines shoud have done the same.

Edited by lovemylab
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Converse34 said:

I refuse to give them anymore money based on how long refunds are taking.  My next step is to wait for the cruise to cancel, which it will and dispute the charge.

I don't think that's necessarily going to work the way you want it to....

You won't have a basis for a claim for a charge-back with your credit card company -- you put down a non-refundable deposit and agreed to terms and you won't complete your end of the deal by not paying your Final Payment. 

If you don't make Final Payment, your reservation will be cancelled on Final Payment Date, so the cruise line later cancelling the sailing entirely will no longer be relevant to you, because you would no longer have an active reservation at the time the sailing was cancelled.  

I don't know if it's possible, but maybe you could "Lift and Switch" this reservation to a future cruise, only choose a refundable deposit this time, and then cancel that cruise?  (Unless you booked a suite, which always has a non-refundable deposit.)

29 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I don't think that's necessarily going to work the way you want it to....

You won't have a basis for a claim for a charge-back with your credit card company -- you put down a non-refundable deposit and agreed to terms and you won't complete your end of the deal by not paying your Final Payment. 

If you don't make Final Payment, your reservation will be cancelled on Final Payment Date, so the cruise line later cancelling the sailing entirely will no longer be relevant to you, because you would no longer have an active reservation at the time the sailing was cancelled.  

I don't know if it's possible, but maybe you could "Lift and Switch" this reservation to a future cruise, only choose a refundable deposit this time, and then cancel that cruise?  (Unless you booked a suite, which always has a non-refundable deposit.)

It’s worth trying.  They cancel my cruise, I want a refund.  I’m not interested in lift and shift, I don’t know where I’ll be living next year, let alone when I should take a cruise.

The point is Royal is being total unreasonable by only canceling cruises within the full payment window.  They know it and we know it.  And since they have made my life as difficult as possible, I plan to return the favor. 

And yes, I did book a suite. 

Recently, I was able to have my Liberty 8/16 final payment delayed. My TA always does final payment two weeks prior to RC’s deadline. 

I asked for a month delay, so two weeks past Royals final payment date. It was granted, no issue. 

I wonder if they are being more lenient with TA bookings knowing TAs have furloughed or laid off customer service employees. 

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

I don't know if it's possible, but maybe you could "Lift and Switch" this reservation to a future cruise, only choose a refundable deposit this time, and then cancel that cruise?

Once a reservation is made non refundable either through the initial reservation or changing it along the way it is not possible to convert it back to refundable status.

22 hours ago, Converse34 said:

It’s worth trying.  They cancel my cruise, I want a refund. 

But by the time the cruise is cancelled, you won't have a cruise anymore -- they'll have cancelled the cruise for the people who paid for it, but your cruise will have already been cancelled when you refused to pay final payment.  

I agree, it's not a smart move from a customer service angle, but that IS the contract that you agreed to when you booked it, so you would have no standing for a credit card chargeback. 

When your credit card company looks at the documentation, they'll see that you forfeited on June 2nd when you didn't pay for the cruise, so YOU would be the one who defaulted on the contract.  If the cruise line cancels the cruise on July 13th, you would not be affected because you don't have an active reservation anymore.  

However, if you go ahead and pay the final payment today, and the cruise line cancels a couple weeks later, if they don't refund your money in a timely manner, then you WOULD have a basis for a credit card chargeback -- you would have had a reservation at the time the cruise line defaulted on the contract by cancelling the sailing, and then the credit card company would rule in your favor.  

(I volunteer with a consumer advocacy group -- I see how these chargeback attempts play out on a regular basis, and you have to follow the rules if you want it to be decided in your favor.)

20 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Once a reservation is made non refundable either through the initial reservation or changing it along the way it is not possible to convert it back to refundable status.

Yeah, I figured it was a long-shot....

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Just an update.  I did indeed dispute my deposit with my credit card company and I was successful.  I did have to complete extra paperwork and I printed the page from RCCL.com that said all worldwide cruises were canceled though x date.  

I received the initial credit and then it was made permanent shortly after my paperwork was sent back.

I have one more ongoing dispute with intra Europe flights, which were canceled and the airline is also fighting the chargeback even though I have an email from them that says I’m entitled to a refund since they canceled the flight.  

Happier travels in 2021!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Converse34 said:

Hi all,

Just an update.  I did indeed dispute my deposit with my credit card company and I was successful.  I did have to complete extra paperwork and I printed the page from RCCL.com that said all worldwide cruises were canceled though x date.  

I received the initial credit and then it was made permanent shortly after my paperwork was sent back.

I have one more ongoing dispute with intra Europe flights, which were canceled and the airline is also fighting the chargeback even though I have an email from them that says I’m entitled to a refund since they canceled the flight.  

Happier travels in 2021!! 

Thanks for coming back and telling us of your success. I'm happy it worked out for you.

• Like 1