Tahiti Opening in July

dandee2

International travel might be opening in July. Protocol to be discussed as soon as possible.

- Testing before arrival (at departure pointe)

- Testing at arrival (TBD how)

Should cleared later today after press conference around 5PM EST

https://www.radio1.pf/nous-avons-decide-douvrir-le-ciel-en-juillet-annonce-edouard-fritch/?utm_medium=notification&utm_source=direct

13 hours ago, dandee2 said:

International travel might be opening in July. Protocol to be discussed as soon as possible.

Dandee- thank you so much. You are always so on top of things. I don't speak French. Could you relay the announcement from Friday afternoon? Thanks once again? 😍

Google Translation.

Édouard Fritch and Dominique Sorain will discuss together, this Friday morning at 11 am, the resumption of international flights from July. The president of the country is clearly in favor of a control system at the entrance of the territory which will allow tourists to stay in Polynesia without confinement. "Today, if we want to save the economy, we have to open the country," he said.

And already this Friday afternoon, the President of the Country confirmed that Polynesia will again be connected to the world, from July.

"We are currently checking the conditions that would allow us to receive tourists as early as July since we have decided to open the sky. "And Edouard Fritch is in favor of a control system, which remains to be specified," so that tourists can return home without confinement. "As he recognizes," what would be the point of locking yourself up in a hotel room? "

"The obligation to test yourself before will be unavoidable, and arrived here, I think we will have to do other tests on these people who come from abroad, on the 2nd day, 3rd day, 4th day, I don't know yet, ”said the president.

No specific date yet: "When the companies are ready," says the president. These are not non-profit companies, they are not going to steal if they do not have enough to do business. Everyone is talking about visibility. The visibility is there, I told them: July 1, fly, go ahead, but it's not enough. They want to know what will be the journey of the tourist who comes to French Polynesia. "It will also be necessary, says Edouard Fritch, to put in place a pedagogy aimed at a part of the population that fears new arrivals.

The president therefore joins tourism professionals whose voices have been swelling in recent days to demand a rapid return to normal. “At some point, elected officials, the government must take risks. Calculated risks, that is, but risks that remain risks. Today, if we want to save the economy, we have to open the country. "

For the time being, due to the closure of the United States to most European nationals, even in transit, Polynesia will have to rely only on North American visitors.

It remains to precisely define the date of resumption of flights, and the health control procedures that will be applied to visitors. The press conference held this morning at 11 am, to follow live on Radio1 and FaceBook Live, should provide some details.

I signed up to get the emails with updates. I don't like the mandatory cover 19 test before arrival. results aren't available in time for the 72 hours prior. It costs a lot of money for these tests which is not covered by insurance. And the test doesn't really mean anything, it only shows your infection status that day. Hopefully these requirements won't be in place very long as they are not practical for travelers. Also, the medical certificate requirement is vague. What does it need to say? Who writes it? How does FP verify it is authentic and not just some word processed made up piece of paper?

Of concern also is the insurance as we are not likely to be covered for Covid.

Fortunately and perhaps a little selfish, in UK testing is free if you are fortunate to be an essential worker. Otherwise £125 per test being advertised.

There also seem to be a few areas to be updated yet, notably cruise lines.

I do think you are correct, we will see a revised list in due course.

5 hours ago, susiesan said:

I signed up to get the emails with updates. I don't like the mandatory cover 19 test before arrival. results aren't available in time for the 72 hours prior. It costs a lot of money for these tests which is not covered by insurance. And the test doesn't really mean anything, it only shows your infection status that day. Hopefully these requirements won't be in place very long as they are not practical for travelers. Also, the medical certificate requirement is vague. What does it need to say? Who writes it? How does FP verify it is authentic and not just some word processed made up piece of paper?

Actually Susie in most cases in the USA testing is free. Even in Missouri where you live CVS pharmacy offers them free with the results available in 2-4 days. In Oregon where I live testing is free under state law and insurers have to waive the copay. Betcha anything cruise ships who will be allowed to visit Tahiti will offer onboard testing free.

The thing is even with all the problems associated with it as you say....results not available in 3 days etc. Fr. Poly has to do something even if not totally effective, even if just in name, to get tourists back. At least it helps to some degree. Lots is going to slip under the wire, but every country is going to have evolving restrictions on travel and  risks associated with getting tourists back.

It's far from ideal but hopefully FP gets it close to right over time, before COVID creates havoc for them.

I can likely get a free test with my Medicare advantage insurance, but at CVS here in KC, no . Tests are not free for anyone who wants one. So far, I am not interested in a test but will get one if I have to for the cruise if that is still in effect in January. The travel insurance requirement is trickier, as is the medical certificate. By January most of this rigamarole will likely be gone. 

Since Windstar won't commenced sailing until September there should be some feedback from earlier visitors of what they had to go through and how onerous it all is. 

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

You may be correct Susie. They don't tell you who "qualifies". And a cruise probably isn't a qualifying event 😉

I think you're right about things being a lot different in January (and May!) and the stories from Sept cruises will sure hold our interest. Onerous is a good word for it!

But we're all going to have a blast despite it all!!!!

7 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Betcha anything cruise ships who will be allowed to visit Tahiti will offer onboard testing free.

I can't imagine the potential complications when on-board testing reveals ill or asymptomatic covid-19 passengers.  Actually I can imagine them based on recent history and it isn't pretty.  Mandatory quarantines?  Missed ports?  Refusal to allow disembarkations?

On 6/6/2020 at 3:52 AM, Heartfelttraveler said:

Google Translation.

Édouard Fritch and Dominique Sorain will discuss together, this Friday morning at 11 am, the resumption of international flights from July. The president of the country is clearly in favor of a control system at the entrance of the territory which will allow tourists to stay in Polynesia without confinement. "Today, if we want to save the economy, we have to open the country," he said.

And already this Friday afternoon, the President of the Country confirmed that Polynesia will again be connected to the world, from July.

"We are currently checking the conditions that would allow us to receive tourists as early as July since we have decided to open the sky. "And Edouard Fritch is in favor of a control system, which remains to be specified," so that tourists can return home without confinement. "As he recognizes," what would be the point of locking yourself up in a hotel room? "

"The obligation to test yourself before will be unavoidable, and arrived here, I think we will have to do other tests on these people who come from abroad, on the 2nd day, 3rd day, 4th day, I don't know yet, ”said the president.

No specific date yet: "When the companies are ready," says the president. These are not non-profit companies, they are not going to steal if they do not have enough to do business. Everyone is talking about visibility. The visibility is there, I told them: July 1, fly, go ahead, but it's not enough. They want to know what will be the journey of the tourist who comes to French Polynesia. "It will also be necessary, says Edouard Fritch, to put in place a pedagogy aimed at a part of the population that fears new arrivals.

The president therefore joins tourism professionals whose voices have been swelling in recent days to demand a rapid return to normal. “At some point, elected officials, the government must take risks. Calculated risks, that is, but risks that remain risks. Today, if we want to save the economy, we have to open the country. "

For the time being, due to the closure of the United States to most European nationals, even in transit, Polynesia will have to rely only on North American visitors.

It remains to precisely define the date of resumption of flights, and the health control procedures that will be applied to visitors. The press conference held this morning at 11 am, to follow live on Radio1 and FaceBook Live, should provide some details.

Thanks a lot. Faster than a speeding bullet LOL

Here's an article on Cruise Critic on this topic:

Cruising to Restart in French Polynesia As Early as Mid-July

The article talks about Paul Gauguin, Aranui Adventure Cruises, and Windstar – as well as air travel restrictions.  It states that Windstar will restart service with Wind Spirit on September 3, 2020, sailing the vessel's previously-published itineraries.

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Here's an article on Cruise Critic on this topic:

Cruising to Restart in French Polynesia As Early as Mid-July

The article talks about Paul Gauguin, Aranui Adventure Cruises, and Windstar – as well as air travel restrictions.  It states that Windstar will restart service with Wind Spirit on September 3, 2020, sailing the vessel's previously-published itineraries.

Already has me quaking in my boots a bit. There will be a lot of questions regarding FP requirements. But I'm worried about the line that refers to "travel medical insurance". I have that for my cruise but what about many/most travel insurers now saying they won't cover in the case of pandemics? Guess this is a question for Steve the travel insurance man.

I posted my question to Steve the travel insurance man and emailed him too.

But in doing a little research, it's the known nature of  the COVID-19 pandemic that causes insurers to not cover for related cancellations. COVID-19 became known by 1/21/20 so policies purchased after that date do not cover cancellations due to this particular pandemic.

But health coverage related COVID-19 questions are a whole different animal. My private medical insurer will cover me for international travel. But I took from this article that FP will be looking for something a little more easily verifiable. It's been an interesting past several months for travel insurers- sounds like things may get a whole lot worse with the resumption of travel.

I'll let you know Steve he says!

OK. Steve said the policy that I purchased does include pandemics and does cover you if you get sick with Coronavirus-19.

It really is a good idea to check with your insurer if you've purchased already, and keep it in mind when you buy it.

44 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

OK. Steve said the policy that I purchased does include pandemics and does cover you if you get sick with Coronavirus-19.

It really is a good idea to check with your insurer if you've purchased already, and keep it in mind when you buy it.

What insurer is your policy with? Did you buy though insuremytrip.com? I have not purchased a supplemental travel policy yet, I was going to get an annual one before going to Namibia in September and that would include Tahiti in January and Europe next August. I was looking at the GeoBlue Travel policy from Blue Cross/Blue Shield who also has my medicare advantage insurance.

Edited by susiesan

Susie...i bought Nationwide on InsureMyTrip which was a dumb thing to do.

Steve at tripinsurancestore.com sent me the language on the policy and it does not include pandemics. And doesn't exclude COVID-19 as a reason for trip cancellation or interruption. Yet when I call Nationwide the answer I get is "may" be covered.

#@&%@!!!! Whenever the wording is vague it always seems to fall in the insurance companies favor.

I don't think you will have any problem getting a supplemental policy- I just don't know about COVID-19 coverage for any one of the insurers. But STRONGLY encourage you and everyone to contact Steve at TripInsuranceStore.com

He is wonderful- even though I had not booked with him he spent a long time explaining the ins and outs of my policy and policies in general. He can give you answers. It's so wonderful to be able to speak to someone personally about the intricacies of the travel insurance world. Something it's harder to get at InsureMyTrip.

In retrospect I would have bought CFAR coverage. What happens if there are restrictions on US travel a month before your trip? If the cruise line doesn't cancel because it has enough foreign guests you are screwed. All kinds of twists in this plot.

Sorry to go on and on but I would not delay getting some answers now so that when the time comes to buy you know what you want.

Nancy

Another wrinkle is that medical evacuation isn't possible if you have Covid, even if you have coverage.  So says Medjet:

Please be aware that:

• Medjet cannot transport a member actively infected with COVID. We can, however, transport for post-infection complications and continued hospitalization.
  • We can neither break nor override a government ordered (U.S. or “host country”) quarantine, and ongoing restrictions in some areas, and required permit processing, may significantly delay transport service timing. 

https://medjetassist.com/medjet-blog/blog/2020/01/24/medjet-services-alert-coronavirus

Air Tahiti Nui airline has this information on their web site. All the airlines will follow.

https://www.airtahitinui.com/us-en/flash-french-polynesia-open-july-15th-air-tahiti-nui-lax-flights-july-16th

The requirements for testing are so stringent almost no one can meet them except people who live in LA. Once the FP government sees that the planes are coming in but no one is on them they will have to ease up. As it stands now, I cannot get test results within the 72 hours before departure. Hopefully after the first few weeks under the new entry rules FP will change them. Otherwise few travelers will be able to make it to Tahiti for their cruise.

2 hours ago, susiesan said:

Air Tahiti Nui airline has this information on their web site. All the airlines will follow.

https://www.airtahitinui.com/us-en/flash-french-polynesia-open-july-15th-air-tahiti-nui-lax-flights-july-16th

The requirements for testing are so stringent almost no one can meet them except people who live in LA. Once the FP government sees that the planes are coming in but no one is on them they will have to ease up.

Agree Susie. I would guess in time it'll be relaxed. Even it were possible to grab your results from your home state would be a challenge to make it to FP in time for them to assure they are applicable.

Betcha the rules are relaxed in plenty of time for those sailing in Sept. Unless FP closes up again due to the recent worldwide spike in cases now.

The other option will be to create your own "test result" document. You would just need to look at one from someone else, copy it,  and using a computer just change the name and date on it. How is anyone at an airline going to know if it is real or not? It's just a piece of paper. There is no way to know if it is fake or not. Also, someone will pop up online selling negative cover test documents for a small price.