Is Celebrity Giving Us A "Restart" Hint?

york survey

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Yes indeed. AstraZeneca have just become the largest market capitalised company on the UK stock exchange so there is much hope pinned on them. 

Phil 

Great one of my share holdings have potential!

I seriously doubt a company like AstraZeneca is willing to sacrifice millions of dollars on a hope and a prayer.  They must be fairly certain that the vaccine is viable and will pass all tests.  That alone speaks volumes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Maybe it's too soon to expect to profit on the suffering of others?  Maybe you could rephrase that?

If you had taken the time to read the link before making a stupid post you would have read this The contract is for up to 400 million doses of the vaccine, developed by the University of Oxford, the company said on Saturday, adding that it was looking to expand manufacturing of the vaccine, which it said it would provide for no profit during the pandemic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

If you had taken the time to read the link before making a stupid post you would have read this The contract is for up to 400 million doses of the vaccine, developed by the University of Oxford, the company said on Saturday, adding that it was looking to expand manufacturing of the vaccine, which it said it would provide for no profit during the pandemic.

You seem concerned about your stock price (your words).

Well, not so fast. I see no reason for a stockholder to have to justiIfy being happy if AZ makes money. If it is a successful vaccine available widely at low cost, it would be profiting from preventing the suffering of others.

If it is unsuccessful, then I guess someone who held short positions might profit from the suffering of others.

The first paragraph is only true, of course, assuming they do not gouge the market. As has been done by the makers of Epinephrine pens and insulin in the US.

Edited by mayleeman

22 hours ago, mayleeman said:

@BigAl94 I will admit that I assumed your first post left something out, but that article said exactly what you said! Good catch! 

I think their anticipatory production schedule is very interesting. Theirs and other similar efforts, will likely eventually result in an international competition between vaccines approved in some countries and not in others.

I fear that guarantees made to some companies of high profits will result in slower distribution of any effective vaccine in countries where Big Pharma has massive influence, such as here in the US.

Fear and bashing of Big Pharma is a common theme in the US.  Until you need them - like for a COVID vaccine or therapy.

13 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Fear and bashing of Big Pharma is a common theme in the US.  Until you need them - like for a COVID vaccine or therapy.

And with good reason.  Let's be honest here - prescription prices in the US are way out of proportion compared to other first world countries.   They want you to believe it is because of research costs, but the statistics show that a huge portion of their expenses is due to advertising.  We are one of only two countries that even allow prescription medications to be advertised to the public. There is a huge difference between advertising, and having information about medication available to those who seek it out so it is not a freedom of information situation.  People are suffering and people are dying because they can't afford to buy their medication (an issue that of course goes beyond drug costs, but that is a large part of it).   I am not against companies making a profit - they are not charities after all.   They have a legal and moral right to make a reasonable profit.  But there are valid reasons for 'bashing' Big Pharma.

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 3

Just now, phoenix_dream said:

And with good reason.  Let's be honest here - prescription prices in the US are way out of proportion compared to other first world countries.   They want you to believe it is because of research costs, but the statistics show that a huge portion of their expenses is due to advertising.  We are one of only two countries that even allow prescription medications to be advertised to the public. There is a huge difference between advertising, and having information about medication available to those who seek it out so it is not a freedom of information situation.  People are suffering and people are dying because they can't afford to buy their medication (an issue that of course goes beyond drug costs, but that is a large part of it).   I am not against companies making a profit - they are not charities after all.   But there are valid reasons for 'bashing' Big Pharma.

OK bash away.  I understand your reasons. You have a lot of company.   But I am still counting on them to develop a COVID vaccine, manufacture it and distribute it.  Globally.  No small task.

12 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Tell that to people in the US who are choosing between insulin and rent or food. Insulin in other countries is available for a fraction of the cost in the US. I bought epi pens 25 years ago for $20. A big Pharma company took control of the generic maker and prices went to $400. 

I agree companies should be able to make money. I don't think companies can morally gouge the market and withhold supply to extort thousands-fold profits. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Tell that to people in the US who are choosing between insulin and rent or food. Insulin in other countries is available for a fraction of the cost in the US. I bought epi pens 25 years ago for $20. A big Pharma company took control of the generic maker and prices went to $400. 

I agree companies should be able to make money. I don't think companies can morally gouge the market and withhold supply to extort thousands-fold profits. 

I'm not here to get into a debate or defend Big Pharma.  As I continue to say (and the only point I'm making here) is that we are counting on them for a COVID vaccine. Sorry for stating this rather public fact  - not trying to offend anybody.  

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

Well, not so fast. I see no reason for a stockholder to have to justiIfy being happy if AZ makes money. If it is a successful vaccine available widely at low cost, it would be profiting from preventing the suffering of others.

If it is unsuccessful, then I guess someone who held short positions might profit from the suffering of others.

The first paragraph is only true, of course, assuming they do not gouge the market. As has been done by the makers of Epinephrine pens and insulin in the US.

AstraZeneca's main focus before Covid-19 came along was oncology.  Big strides have been made by them and others in the treatment of cancers. My dad who worked for the company that eventually sold off their pharmaceutical business years ago that became AstraZeneca might have lived longer and I might have been older than 15 when he died. 

It's time for some on here to open their minds a little instead of being on a quest to make their point in whatever way they can. . Not you I might add. Just quoting you as you made a point. 

Phil 

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

AstraZeneca's main focus before Covid-19 came along was oncology.  Big strides have been made by them and others in the treatment of cancers. My dad who worked for the company that eventually sold off their pharmaceutical business years ago that became AstraZeneca might have lived longer and I might have been older than 15 when he died. 

It's time for some on here to open their minds a little instead of being on a quest to make their point in whatever way they can. . Not you I might add. Just quoting you as you made a point. 

Phil 

The internet would be pretty dull if we all agreed with each other on everything. 

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

OK bash away.  I understand your reasons. You have a lot of company.   But I am still counting on them to develop a COVID vaccine, manufacture it and distribute it.  Globally.  No small task.

Hence the reason they're producing it right now.  By the time it's approved, about mid-August at the latest, they'll have hundreds of millions of doses available.  IIRC, about 400 million, with half of it earmarked for the US.  Within 6 months I believe they'll have 3-4 billion additional doses available for the world.  And they're not making a dime off of these initial doses.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Hence the reason they're producing it right now.  By the time it's approved, about mid-August at the latest, they'll have hundreds of millions of doses available.  IIRC, about 400 million, with half of it earmarked for the US.  Within 6 months I believe they'll have 3-4 billion additional doses available for the world.  And they're not making a dime off of these initial doses.

I'll admit I'm not up to date.  Can you point me towards any article where these companies say they'll produce a vaccine at no profit?  

Edited by zitsky

2 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

looks like you are right ....https://www.euronews.com/2020/06/13/coronavirus-vaccine-europe-s-inclusive-vaccines-alliance-strikes-giant-agreement-with-astr

23 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

The US and UK govts have more or less underwritten the first round of vaccine for AZ, regardless of whether it works. I wonder what “during the pandemic” actually means? We are also waiting to hear what Gilead is going to charge for the next batch of Remdesivir... and I don’t even want to think about what a course of Lilly’s antibody therapy will cost - those monoclonal Abs are always incredibly expensive.

I completely agree that they should make a profit, but I also think under the circumstances, a big donation of vaccine is the moral thing to do. That donation could come in a number of different forms.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VitaminSea53 said:

I checked in to see if there is a Re-Start Hint.  Has anyone seen/ read  a Hint?  It sure would be nice to see the cruises get started again. 

What is a hint?

17 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

The title is “Celebrity giving a restart HINT”.  I didn’t read through 5 pages but jumped to the end to see the latest info but it was all about Big Pharma. Is there any  info / hint about a Restart?

Ok.  Having a senior moment.