Cruise Critic News: Royal Caribbean Chairman Richard Fain: Cruise Changes Will Come, Innovation Remains

10 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I am just hoping they get some started and get some experience before my January cruise.  I would like to see someone play guinea pig before me. 

Sweet !!!    that sure is thinking ahead....

9 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

If anything, not sailing soon. 

In my opinion 

I have to admit I fast forwarded thru the video.  Guess he had a good fishing trip but he didn't really give any good intel or I miised it??

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 1:02 PM, Sea Dog said:

I agree. They were suppose to have a meeting with the CDC I think this week but from what I heard it was more about plans for getting crews back home. You would have thought they would of talked about the when they could conceivably start cruising again.

Jun 15 CDC meeting about crew disembarkations

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I have to admit I fast forwarded thru the video.  Guess he had a good fishing trip but he didn't really give any good intel or I miised it??

Wish I would of fast forwarded. First 5 minutes was stuff I already knew from seeing the statistics. A lot of editorializing imho, He does sound frustrated with the CDC.

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

He’s frustrated he can’t get a haircut. 😇

and that he has to eat in his cafeteria (kitchen??) I never heard someone refer to their kitchen that way. How big is his kitchen? Windjammer size???

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2020 at 4:17 PM, John&LaLa said:

Surprised he called South Florida a drive market.

And what was up with the shuffleboard comment. 🤔

It never went anywhere.

I thought the same thing!

I guess he meant that shuffleboard was a prime activity in the old days and that is a thing of the past now with all the innovation around activities now. He just never connected the dots....

On 6/12/2020 at 4:44 PM, John&LaLa said:

I get that, but here's the statement. 

'But while radical adjustment is uncomfortable for many, innovation has been the norm within cruising, he said.

As an example, Fain pointed to the quiet game of shuffleboard, once a standard activity and popular activity on cruise ships. Royal Caribbean in particular has always pushed the bar in adding features that have never been on ships before, such as ice skating and skydiving simulators, he said.'

What's the message? It doesn't go anywhere.

Shuffleboard still exists. Not like it got replaced

Maybe just a poorly written article

probably

On 6/12/2020 at 6:16 PM, JupiterTwo said:

DW and I are at the point of taking our cruise budget for the next few years and building a pool in our backyard instead.

Now if I can just convince her to make hors d'oeuvres every afternoon between 5:00pm and 8:00pm... 🙄 

You can get them pre-made at Costco!

On 6/12/2020 at 6:24 PM, nelblu said:

Well years ago they had smoking and non-smoking sections.  Perhaps, going forward a evolutionary thinking is having a mask & non-mask sectios.😁

And a no peeing section in the pool.

On 6/12/2020 at 3:18 PM, RKHOOKER said:

I’ll take Fains approach of wait & see.  It’s the staff on the cruise ship that worries me most about the virus not my fellow cruisers.

Basically it is all still hurry up and wait.  The crew on a ship works long hours and many will work even under the weather.  Health screenings will almost certainly be a part of the new normal.  No more checking no on a piece of paper you hurriedly fill out a check in.  I would bet the turn around time for a ship will also be increased until the new boarding process, whatever it is, is in place.  So far I see will will still have shuffle board.  Next?