Dinner reservations

AtMaui

I read a post somewhere that said if you were making dinner reservations, they could only include people in the same suite.  I'm on the Whisper in November with two friends and we all have our own suite.  So we can't have dinner together?  

Of course you can have dinner together.  You simply have to make separate reservations.  I would suggest that you then consult promptly with MD once onboard to explain that you want to sit together.  I imagine they will be pleased to have one three-top rather than three one-tops.

In My Silversea there's a tab in Suite preferences that says are you travelling with others.   If you add the other guests to that then you can book the required number of seats for dining, tour tickets etc. 

Most of my travel has been 2 suites and booking restaurant reservations has always been fine if that link is filled.

Edited by MrsWaldo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the responses.  I've sailed quite a bit with other friends in separate suites and always make a reservation for all of us.  And I always complete the section about traveling with others.  Hopefully that will work with the new guidelines in place.  I'll certainly give it a try!

Agree with other posts ... You put on my silversea your travel companion suite & you will be linked.. when you make a reservation for restaurants just put his many people it's for & no problems ( as long as it's available )  we always travel with family & only one cabin needs to make the reservation for all guests.. happy cruising 🚢

It's even easier than that (or at least it was for our last voyage in January of this year). It's always nice to link your reservations if you're in a group but it isn't necessary IME to do this, in order to dine together in specialty restaurants. Maybe it's different for the larger ships - my experience is only with Cloud and Wind.

Just start to make your reservation on My Silversea, and on the webpage, then there's an option to specify how many additional guests. It's not particularly obvious, IIRC. I can't give you a screenshot, because my next cruise is 11 months away... 😞

On Cloud we were traveling with a group and I made several reservations for the 7 of us. (2 of us plus 5 guests). Max I think was tables of 8.

Yes it's easy .. we have a group of 10 ( not always if my husband had he's way lol)

They always accommodate us no problems even on the wind 🙂  but most trips have been on whisper or( spirit  my fav ship at the moment)   they bring up a big table from the restaurant when on wind & dinning in  la terrazza there amazing

We always cruise with our best friends and I have been “in charge” of our Silversea dinner reservations for years now.   Yes we always link our bookings but we found it easier if I book for all four of us.   Never had an issue and at least one maitre d’ actually said that was better for their planning.

We have always found Maitre d helpful and appreciated the fact that we require the same table for the whole cruise be it 20 or 100+ days and advise Maitre d if we are dining in an alternative restaurant the following evening.The system has worked for all our 22 years of Silversea cruising and long may it continue hopefully sooner rather than later!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, brimary said:

We have always found Maitre d helpful and appreciated the fact that we require the same table for the whole cruise?

This is probably a silly question, but just not obvious to me; why do you require the same table for the entire cruise?

28 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

This is probably a silly question, but just not obvious to me; why do you require the same table for the entire cruise?

Nothing other than we prefer to stick with same waiter who knows preferences which results in fantastic service but that is usually pretty good throughout the ships anyway.

It became a habit after superb experience on first SS cruise in 1998.

On 6/12/2020 at 2:44 PM, AtMaui said:

I read a post somewhere that said if you were making dinner reservations, they could only include people in the same suite.  I'm on the Whisper in November with two friends and we all have our own suite.  So we can't have dinner together?  

And I suspect that it's the usual suspects, too!

Sorry, we'll miss you, as we are hopeful for the Shadow crossing in November.

Best to all 

4 hours ago, brimary said:

We have always found Maitre d helpful and appreciated the fact that we require the same table for the whole cruise be it 20 or 100+ days and advise Maitre d if we are dining in an alternative restaurant the following evening.The system has worked for all our 22 years of Silversea cruising and long may it continue hopefully sooner rather than later!

Oh brimary you're 5 years more than us ... But like yourself we always have the same table when we are with family 10 plus.. it helps the restaurant & we always dine 8.30ish...

You know us Brits a late & slow dinning experience 😉  they then know time & table so its not going to  be a lot of sorting out last minute  .. hope you find this usefull 🤔

8 hours ago, brimary said:

Nothing other than we prefer to stick with same waiter who knows preferences which results in fantastic service but that is usually pretty good throughout the ships anyway.

It became a habit after superb experience on first SS cruise in 1998.

Thank you!  I had no idea one could request the same table each evening.  Makes a lot of sense.

We always eat at 7 pm in MDR which helps in arranging same table each evening on embarkation Works for us but not everyone’s cup of tea to have such a fixed arrangement.Just become a habit which adds to the enjoyment of all our SS cruises.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 3:44 PM, AtMaui said:

I read a post somewhere that said if you were making dinner reservations, they could only include people in the same suite.

AtMaui,

I've sailed often as a solo and like to reserve a table for four or six a few times during the cruise so I may invite any future new friends I encounter during the voyage.  It has never been a problem.  Just make the reservation for the number of diners expected as you would at any land-based restaurant.

Bechi

1 hour ago, pf778c said:

AtMaui,

I've sailed often as a solo and like to reserve a table for four or six a few times during the cruise so I may invite any future new friends I encounter during the voyage.  It has never been a problem.  Just make the reservation for the number of diners expected as you would at any land-based restaurant.

Bechi

Sounds nice, but what happens if you end up without any dinner mates? Just wondering.

I have sailed solo as well and dined with the International Hostesses multiple times. They are always so nice and 

sometimes other solos aren't available. 

Lois,

I suppose I've just been lucky.  I usually reserve a four-top at La Terraza mid-cruise and a six-top at the Grill for the last night and have always had "takers".  I know the gentlemen hosts and international hostesses put a table together in the Restaurant each night, but it's nice to gather in the specialty restaurants as well.  Maybe that's why I've never had a problem!  I imagine at least a few of the solos are hesitant to make reservations only for themselves, so might not otherwise get a chance to dine in the specialty restaurants.  I only do this on cruises where I've made the commitment to myself to attend the solo gatherings and be outgoing and socialize.  I am definitely an introvert, but do enjoy company when I'm "in the mood" as long as I get the "me" time I crave.  I've met some really great groups on some cruises where we've arranged for private cocktail parties and shore excursions.  I have some really wonderful memories.

Hoping to meet up with you on Silversea one day!  I've shared a few cruises with Silver Spectre, but I don't believe he and his lovely wife ever really go home! <g>

Bechi

Hi, I am an extrovert and it is very easy for me to meet other folks😃 I would be happy to share a table on a cruise.

Now you have explained it a bit more clearly though......you make the effort to attend the solo gatherings.  

I was just wondering how you decided to make a reservation for 4/6 without having anyone to invite. But you have

reached out already........🙂

And I don't mind eating on my own......never really bothered me,  although it is nice to sit with other folks too.😃

You're right Lois - it IS very easy to meet others, even for solitude loving me.  I've been known to request a table hidden behind a column when I just want to enjoy a quick lunch, as inevitably I will get spotted and asked if I would like some company!  Other guests are generally VERY friendly!

I always make at least two reservations for myself only and enjoy them very much.  First night at La Terraza is mandatory, and one for La Champagne, but if I found myself on a sailing with few solos I'd probably cancel the last night six-top and invite one of my favorite couples to dine with me for a four-top rezzy.  Worst case scenario, change the reservation to just myself as early as possible.  I don't know if other lines would make it so easy, but Silversea certainly makes it so.  They only times I've felt guilty were when I ended up cancelling a rezzy for one at the last minute because I ran into a new solo friend on the way to the restaurant with a rezzy as well, and we decided to combine them.  I prefer to give our fabulous maitre d's and captains ample notice.  Anyhow, to return to topic, making reservations ahead of time for a number greater than the occupancy of your suite is NOT a problem!

Bechi

Bechi, if we ever meet on a cruise, would be pleased to sit with you at dinner!🙂 And yes, I have made reservations

as well and they are usually very accommodating with changes---especially for 1.