Princess grill P1 and P2 Queen Victoria

PAMJP

We’ve been on all 3 Queens and have stayed in P2’s but what is the difference between P2 and P1? Is it just higher deck or are they bigger? Thinking of transferring our transatlantic and stay which we’ve booked to New York next year for Northern Lights in November 2021 on Queen Victoria. Thanks Pam

2 hours ago, PAMJP said:

We’ve been on all 3 Queens and have stayed in P2’s but what is the difference between P2 and P1? Is it just higher deck or are they bigger? Thinking of transferring our transatlantic and stay which we’ve booked to New York next year for Northern Lights in November 2021 on Queen Victoria. Thanks Pam

I think the P2s on Deck 4 have deeper balconies, otherwise it is just position.

Booked Northern lights and Canary Islands in P1. Its about location in the higher P’s.I am in 4100 which is midships so not sure what a better location would be except higher deck.Wanted to sail on Queen N

Mary but itinerary not there. The suites are bigger. Hoping for an upgrade to Queens, especially if they dont book 100%.

4 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Booked Northern lights and Canary Islands in P1. Its about location in the higher P’s.I am in 4100 which is midships so not sure what a better location would be except higher deck.Wanted to sail on Queen N

Mary but itinerary not there. The suites are bigger. Hoping for an upgrade to Queens, especially if they dont book 100%.

4100 on Queen Victoria on deck 4 is a P2 grade not a P1.

Edited by majortom10

The P1 and P2 cabins are all the same size and amidships location.  P1 are higher on decks 7 and 8, which can be a positive for a slightly shorter trip to upper decks, but a negative for a slightly longer trip to lower decks.  Deck 4 (P2 grade), as exlondoner indicated, have a somewhat larger balcony due to the hull configuration.  I've sometimes wondered whether P1 cabins get any priority for nicer tables in the Princess dining room - does anyone know?   IMO, there's really no need to pay extra for P1 if a suitable P2 cabin is available.

32 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Arent p2 more expensive?

The lower the number in the stateroom category (or the lower the second letter of the category in alphabetical order), the more expensive that category is within each type of stateroom. For example, the most expensive category of all is Q1 ("Grand Suites" on QV and QE), followed by Q2 ("Master Suites"), and so on.

Looking at the November 2021 Northern Lights voyage on QV, the base fare in US dollars on the Cunard US website for a P1 ( on the higher decks 7 and 8 ) is $50 per night more than for a P2 ( on the lower decks 4, 5, and 6 ).

Thank you for all your replies. The price difference in U.K. for P1 against P2 is Only £276 per couple, we’ve been on Decks 5 and heard someone on our last Christmas cruise say that they were on deck 4, thought they had a bigger balcony. We like to walk the prom deck so will probably stick to 5. I thought the cabin itself would be slightly different, now a QM Princess is worth it!

The P1's are on decks 7 and 8.  I always avoid the deck 8 cabins because of the public areas above your head.  We suffered quite badly on one occasion so if we book a P1 we always go for deck 7.

My view is that the P1's should be decks 6 and 7 and deck 8 should be the cheaper P2.

17 hours ago, RJChatsworth said:

The P1's are on decks 7 and 8.  I always avoid the deck 8 cabins because of the public areas above your head.  We suffered quite badly on one occasion so if we book a P1 we always go for deck 7.

My view is that the P1's should be decks 6 and 7 and deck 8 should be the cheaper P2.

I have heard several people mention the issues with the Deck 8 cabins. A few years ago we chose a cabin on the QE on Deck 6 which was a good location.

Because PG cabins are just longer versions of Britannia cabins the balconies are small.  Anyone familiar with PG on the QM2 will be disappointed. Last year we had a Britannia cabin on the QE which was considerably larger than the PG balcony we had previously. It was one of those with a view to the bow or stern in addition to the side.

We would not book PG on the QE or QV primarily for the stateroom. They do offer a small bath tub, which Britannia cabins do not, but we used it only for the shower. (As Mrs. Richards said to Basil Fawlty: "You couldn't drown a mouse in that tub.")   We do prefer the PG restaurant, deck space and the lounge (admittedly a bit small) on those ships over the QM2, but the cabins on the latter are superior - mainly because they are wider. 

Edited by david,Mississauga
Clarification
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, RJChatsworth said:

Agreed. We were upgraded to Deck 8 on QV (right by the mid-ship elevator) and noise from above started around 5:30 AM, well before we were ready to be awakened.

Everyone will have a particular preference. On Queen Victoria we will always try and book a P2 cabin.Personally we think overall on QV that the overall P2 cabins are in a better position than many of the P1 category. The last 3 cruises we have had a P2 cabin and have just booked full world cruise 2022 in the same cabin. The P1 category I think are on a higher deck but also mid ships but on a long cruise a deck beneath and central makes a slightly more stable journey and saves a few pounds and the rack of lamb in the Princess Grill is still the same!!

On 6/17/2020 at 10:40 AM, majortom10 said:

In general Princess suites are dearer on QM2 than on QV/QE and IMO the P2 forward deck 10 are in a poor position.

Yes, I should have mentioned in my earlier comment one advantage of Princess Grill on the QE and QV is that they are all midships. Twice on the QM2 we had a P2 (the first time it was called a P3, a category no longer used) and they were too far forward on Deck 10. Both times there was a full day and night which was very bumpy.

13 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

Yes, I should have mentioned in my earlier comment one advantage of Princess Grill on the QE and QV is that they are all midships. Twice on the QM2 we had a P2 (the first time it was called a P3, a category no longer used) and they were too far forward on Deck 10. Both times there was a full day and night which was very bumpy.

I would love to do a roundtrip TA but position of P2s put me off.

On 6/22/2020 at 10:28 PM, majortom10 said:

I would love to do a roundtrip TA but position of P2s put me off.

I've sailed on QM2 in a P2 on deck 10 - right at the front near the bridge. I found it a wonderful location - crossed the Tasman which is reputedly quite rough but never felt it. It's also very interesting as you can watch the officers on the bridge from your balcony! It gives you a bit of exercise getting to and from the PG dining room which is always welcome; good to have an extra chance to stretch the legs (that may not suit everyone though, I acknowledge that). Don't discount them due to position is all I'm saying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I've sailed on QM2 in a P2 on deck 10 - right at the front near the bridge. I found it a wonderful location - crossed the Tasman which is reputedly quite rough but never felt it. It's also very interesting as you can watch the officers on the bridge from your balcony! It gives you a bit of exercise getting to and from the PG dining room which is always welcome; good to have an extra chance to stretch the legs (that may not suit everyone though, I acknowledge that). Don't discount them due to position is all I'm saying.

No sorry wouldnt pay price of P2 for be in what for me is the poorest position of the ship. High up front of ship is normally cheapest cabins on the ship so big mistake by Cunard putting P2 cabins there.

3 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Completely agree. Never been in a P2, but did a TA in a Q6 on the deck below, and never felt any motion. It is a long walk from the restaurant if you forget something, though, but conversely convenient for the library. I often used to start my day by going out on the balcony and waving at the man on the bridge. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

No sorry wouldnt pay price of P2 for be in what for me is the poorest position of the ship. High up front of ship is normally cheapest cabins on the ship so big mistake by Cunard putting P2 cabins there.

Wasn't that where the Q1s were on QE2?

58 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Surely being down low in the bowels of the ship is the worst and cheapest position on the ship? I can imagine that people who fear high seas might wish to be down there but in my experience from sitting in the theatre near the stage you feel and hear it more down there.

• Like 1

Surely being down low in the bowels of the ship is the worst and cheapest position on the ship? I can imagine that people who fear high seas might wish to be down there but in my experience from sitting in the theatre near the stage you feel and hear it more down there.

You feel the movement on any ship forward and the higher the deck. For less feeling of movement and seasickness they say go low down midships. I would expect P2s to be in a better position for the price and I would never book one but that is a personal choice and we are all different.

Edited by majortom10

Obviously you will hear it more because being low down you are actually closer to the sea but cannot see that there would be more movement on deck 2 or 3 than deck 10. Personal choice for me is deck 5.

On 6/15/2020 at 9:59 AM, PAMJP said:

We last stayed in a Queen Victoria P1 just over a year ago sailing between Singapore and Cape Town.

I wrote a review which included a number of photographs of our accommodation if you are interested....

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2019/05/06/queen-victoria-singapore-to-cape-town/

I believe there is always merit in taking photographs both to help others and clearly make your point in any cruise discussion.

On 6/26/2020 at 6:59 AM, majortom10 said:

The QM2 has the Britannia Club (A1 & A2) cabins forward and high as can be on Decks 12 and 13.  We were very fond of the new cabin on Deck 13 despite it being far forward.  It was bumpy - but for barely a day out of the week.The bathroom, with a swinging glass door for the shower, was very attractive compared to the non-renovated ones elsewhere.

Several years ago the Princess Grill cabins were designated P1 through P4. The first time we travelled in PG there were only two designated P4. The deck plan showed they were the furthest forward.  Our TA said that designation was used for guarantees. The P3s were the next closest to the bow and a few years ago they were "promoted" to P2. The P2s closer to the stern became P1s.