Dancing Lessons

rbslos18

On Viking Ocean they had dance lessons in the Explorers Lounge. A few of the singer/dancers did them. I liked watching them. Instead of saying "to the right to the left" they'd say "to the bar, to the sea". This was on the Orion. They did many different dances.

3 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

Do Viking Ocean cruises offer dance classes?

Thanks

RB

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sometimes, it just depends on just how much time there is for scheduling them. Itineraries with a lot of time in port have fewer "classes" than itineraries with multiple sea days.

8 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Andy, you don't need lessons.  A little bird told me that after the 4th IPA you dance like Fred Astaire.....😳

Jim - you're being overly generous, as some say it only takes a single IPA. 😁🍻

As other folks have mentioned, on our Dec South American cruise, on sea days, the singers/dancers gave free lessons in Torshavn.  You didn't have to have a partner and it was lots of fun, a good way to get in a little workout.  It was a nice way to get to know the Viking singers/dancers and our instructor was a hoot, gives you a great sense of appreciation for professional dancers!

On Orion we had extra sea days added so they announced dance classes in the Explorers Lounge.  We were happy to hear that as we are dancers with some years of studio dance lessons behind us.  As others have said, the class was taught by two of the singers.  The dance they were teaching was something they had made up and was physically not something people in the typical age range you would see on Viking, would appreciate.  They had us jumping up and down...and to be honest, we look pretty good doing a Rumba, Swing or Hussle....but standing there jumping up and down wasn't going to happen with all the bones we have broken over time.  So we decided to make the best of it and just enjoy ourselves.  We positioned ourselves in the back of the class and modified their jumping up and down to 'real' dance steps.  There was a couple in front of us and the man kept turning around harassing us for not doing the right steps.  We told him we were fine, not to worry about us.  HE WOULD NOT STOP....finally he loudly announced to the class that we were doing the steps wrong. Seriously...we felt like idiots...it was awful.  We thought the singers/dance teachers would say something like, 'don't worry we're all having fun here,' but they said nothing.  We left.  

Later when I saw one of the singers hanging around, I approached her and gently asked her why they would allow another cruiser to humiliate us like that an not say something to defuse the situation.  She said that they did not hear that happen.  I will have to take her at her word, but goodness, everyone else there heard it.

All to say...we'll probably skip the dance classes from here out and stick to the private studio instructor that makes us feel like Fred and Ginger!