NCL cancels all August and September sailings

Charles4515

5 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Things are not going to fully open by July., which is 13 days from now. States are starting to put restrictions back in place because people are too self centered to wear a mask when out in public.

well i agree not 13 days but maybe by the end , the crews home countries airports and such might be open, there will be more travel open by then imo. 

Edited by seaman11

Just now, seaman11 said:

well i agree not 13 days but maybe by the end , the crews home countries airports and such might be open, there will be more travel open by then imo. 

We will ave to agree to disagree because I believe that by the end of July travel restrictions are going to be tighter than they are now.

1 minute ago, zqvol said:

We will ave to agree to disagree because I believe that by the end of July travel restrictions are going to be tighter than they are now.

you could be correct , we are having major setbacks atm from ppl not behaving , (there was a big party in the condo next door on sat) however thats not all countries. 

2 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

you could be correct , we are having major setbacks atm from ppl not behaving , (there was a big party in the condo next door on sat) however thats not all countries. 

There are no major setbacks.  The panicking and fear mongering has to stop.  Death toll continues to slow.  The virus is highly contagious and thankfully it is usually mild.  Everyone just needs to take a deep breath.  The sky is NOT falling. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

There are no major setbacks.  The panicking and fear mongering has to stop.  Death toll continues to slow.  The virus is highly contagious and thankfully it is usually mild.  Everyone just needs to take a deep breath.  The sky is NOT falling. 

i wish i could agree, however ppl misbehaving have cost me 2 more cruises and maybe a 3rd. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=florida+covid+numbers&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS877US877&oq=florida+covid+numbers&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0l7.5614j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fredric22 said:

you do realize that in the US, there is 120K dead and the estimates from the experts are about 200K by October. Thats 80,000 more dead and I think thats if people keep masks and social distancing so if that doesnt happen, it will be higher...

200,000 dead in 7 months... glad you think this is no big deal... I would really be afraid what you would find bad

its more deaths that ANY  USA military war death toll except

American Civil War

World War 2

the American civil war had over 755,000 deaths but that averaged 520 per day. how many died from Covid yesterday?

Im glad you think its all sunshine and rainbows

Edited by hftmrock
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, hftmrock said:

you do realize that in the US, there is 120K dead and the estimates from the experts are about 200K by October. Thats 80,000 more dead and I think thats if people keep masks and social distancing so if that doesnt happen, it will be higher...

200,000 dead in 7 months... glad you think this is no big deal... I would really be afraid what you would find bad

its more deaths that ANY  USA military war death toll except

American Civil War

World War 2

the American civil war had over 755,000 deaths but that averaged 520 per day. how many died from Covid yesterday?

Im glad you think its all sunshine and rainbows

Im afraid you all were right.  😔 i guess i thought the spikes would go down fast . some are not being cautious. 

Screenshot_20200617-151934.png

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

I’m not sick, not wearing a mask, if I get the Rona, so be it.  If I get it, I’ll stay home for 2 weeks...Those sick or worried, stay home. 

Great for you. Me. Me. Me.

Meanwhile imagining this. Good times on a cruise ship:

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2020/06/17/16-friends-coronavirus-florida-bar/

• Like 2

Just now, PTC DAWG said:

None seriously ill...

I don't think you understand the law of large numbers.

As for Gergoia you realize the latest shutdowns in Beijing are a result of 50 odd new cases?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8430589/Beijing-battles-coronavirus-second-wave-two-thirds-flights-cancelled.html

If you look down that page to the chart that is a spike of 50 cases in a day. See what China is now having to do. Now note that Georgia had 664+ cases in last 24 hours. 50 cases versus 664. Look at what China is now doing due to 50 new cases in a day. Look at what Georgia is doing with 664 new cases in a day.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I’m not sick, not wearing a mask, if I get the Rona, so be it.  If I get it, I’ll stay home for 2 weeks...Those sick or worried, stay home. 

Cavalier attitudes like this are making the spread worse. Put on a mask. Even if it doesn't work, it won't hurt anything. The poster's  behavior is not hurting the quoted poster, it is possibly hurting everyone he gets around. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Cavalier attitudes like this are making the spread worse. Put on a mask. Even if it doesn't work, it won't hurt anything. The poster's  behavior is not hurting the quoted poster, it is possibly hurting everyone he gets around.

The me me me behavior is just staggering. Especially when you consider the number of new daily cases in many USA states. Yet nothing is being done. Then you compare those actions to China and South Korea's actions with just 50-100 new cases in a day. Its shockingly incompetent and its going to prevent all of us cruising for quite some time.

Edited by pmd98052
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

None seriously ill...

What about the other bar patrons and workers, their grandparents, parents, spouses, children, neighbors and anyone else they came in contact with?

Please report on their welfare also.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

What about the other bar patrons and workers, their grandparents, parents, spouses, children, neighbors and anyone else they came in contact with?

Please report on their welfare also.

Funny you mention children.  Children have a better chance of getting struck my lightening than dying of Covid-19.  The flu is far more deadly to Children than Covid-19.  See, we have an issue understanding risk.  There are risks in many of the things we do every day and we do not even think about them.  We accept the risks of getting the flu.  Why?  Because we have been conditioned to do so. For some portions of our population, Covid-19 is far more deadly than the flu.  Those portions of the population need to weigh their individual risk and decide if they want to participate in society at this time or not and if they do they need to decide what precautions they will take.  For others with low or no risk of dying of Covid-19, they will make the decisions too. Why should we judge others who choose to live and participate in the economy?  No, those people who aren't wearing masks are not delaying your cruise. 

The way the average American wears a mask isn't doing anything to prevent COVID-19.  Ask doctors who work in hospitals how they use/wear masks.  They don't keep a dirty T-shirt cloth on their face all day and continue to touch it and place it on contaminated surfaces.  They also don't wear it as a chin guard when they are eating or when they need to talk to someone because the mask muffles their speech.  They don't leave it hanging on their car mirror.  And they certainly don't lift it up to smoke a cigarette. 

As far as the death toll, it is of course very sad.  We know this virus kills elderly and we did a TERRIBLE job at protecting the nursing homes.  Take a look at the death toll data with nursing homes removed.  It is remarkable just how much it changes the picture.  Hopefully that is a lesson learned going forward.  But, we definitely paid a heavy price for it with our nursing home residents.  We shut down our economy AND we also didn't protect the nursing homes.  The sad part is, we failed in our response to both areas.  

Once again, COVID-19 is not the zombie apocalypse.  It is a very strong and novel Coronavirus of which there are many others in circulation (you've probably had some before).  It is not going away (it is far too contagious).  Treatments will help (good news, we have found some that are working and more to come!) and hopefully vaccines will help too (bad news, not everyone will take them so it will STILL be around).  China and other countries who are trying to completely eliminate the virus will have a losing battle.  As we have seen in China, it simply isn't possible.  Even with a 100 day lock-down, the virus continues to pop up time and time again.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

We accept the risks of getting the flu

Oh here we go again.

a) The flu is not nearly as contagious

b) The flu has a vaccine

c) The flu's fatality rate is 3-5 times lower

Sorry but this kind of "I don't care" attitude is why its going to be a long time until we can cruise again.

Anyway this is all off topic for a cruise board. Cruises aren't sailing due to the risk and associated CDC order. It is now highly likely it will be extended for another 100 days due to the growth in USA cases. That growth comes from these "me me me" attitudes.

Edited by pmd98052
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

Why should we judge others who choose to live and participate in the economy?  No, those people who aren't wearing masks are not delaying your cruise. 

yes they are.. they are the ones who can spread it and the more it spreads the less likely cruises start.

The way the average American wears a mask isn't doing anything to prevent COVID-19.  Ask doctors who work in hospitals how they use/wear masks. 

totally incorrect and proven time and time again that it stops the person wearing it from spreading the virus droplets as much as someone who doesnt. No competent doctor would say its doing nothing. none

But, we definitely paid a heavy price for it with our nursing home residents.  We shut down our economy AND we also didn't protect the nursing homes.  The sad part is, we failed in our response to both areas.  

agreed

Once again, COVID-19 is not the zombie apocalypse.  It is a very strong and novel Coronavirus of which there are many others in circulation (you've probably had some before).  It is not going away (it is far too contagious).  Treatments will help (good news, we have found some that are working and more to come!) and hopefully vaccines will help too (bad news, not everyone will take them so it will STILL be around).  China and other countries who are trying to completely eliminate the virus will have a losing battle.  As we have seen in China, it simply isn't possible.  Even with a 100 day lock-down, the virus continues to pop up time and time again.  

find me another virus in history that had 120,000 - 200,000 deaths in less than a year

Look at other countries curves compared to ours. Other countries ARE managing this virus properly. it wont go away but they are preventing deaths.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

Oh here we go again.

a) The flu is not nearly as contagious

b) The flu has a vaccine

c) The flu's fatality rate is 3-5 times lower

Sorry but this kind of "I don't care" attitude is why its going to be a long time until we can cruise again.

Anyway this is all off topic for a cruise board. Cruises aren't sailing due to the risk and associated CDC order. It is now highly likely it will be extended for another 100 days due to the growth in USA cases. That growth comes from these "me me me" attitudes.

Why is there an outrage when the F word is mentioned?  The flu is our best comparison because it is a contagious virus that causes between 30,000 and 80,000 deaths in the US each year depending on the season.  As I mentioned, the flu has a higher fatality rate for children and young adults while COVID-19 has a higher fatality rate for the elderly.  I am not sure how stating these facts translates to an "I don't care" attitude.  You can care about COVID-19 while also not panicking about it.  If you choose to do the later, that is of course completely up to you. 

As far as other viruses in history that have killed many people, I would point you to some very bad flu seasons in the US where over 80,000 people have died, the N1H1 flu that killed over 500,000 people worldwide, and of course the famous Spanish Flu which killed about 675,000 people in the US (our population was only 130,000,000 at the time) and about 50,000,000 people worldwide (1 in 30 people on the planet died).  So we have certainly had our fair share of big ones! Unfortunately, when you have billions of people living on a planet, there will always be viruses and disease in circulation.  As society grows, as do our risks.  We do our best to compete with nature with our technology and advances in modern medicine.  

Anyway, you are right.  Debating these topics is a bit off-topic.  I sincerely hope the CDC moves forward with a plan to get cruises back up and running soon but I also hope that by doing so we don't take all of the joy out of it.  

Edited by Fredric22
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

.....Everyone just needs to take a deep breath.  The sky is NOT falling. 

Indeed, but this is cruise critic, and the cruise ships ain't sailing anytime soon! 😉

1 hour ago, Fredric22 said:

. . .

Why should we judge others who choose to live and participate in the economy?  No, those people who aren't wearing masks are not delaying your cruise. 

. . .

Wearing masks in public does not have any impact on the economy, but it might save a life. Selfish behavior like this is a big part of what is wrong in the US. There is no concern for how one's behavior impacts other people. Masks may not help, but they certainly don't hurt, in other words be respectful of others and put on a mask when in public.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

Why is there an outrage when the F word is mentioned?  The flu is our best comparison because it is a contagious virus that causes between 30,000 and 80,000 deaths in the US each year depending on the season.  As I mentioned, the flu has a higher fatality rate for children and young adults while COVID-19 has a higher fatality rate for the elderly.  I am not sure how stating these facts translates to an "I don't care" attitude.  You can care about COVID-19 while also not panicking about it.  If you choose to do the later, that is of course completely up to you. 

As far as other viruses in history that have killed many people, I would point you to some very bad flu seasons in the US where over 80,000 people have died, the N1H1 flu that killed over 500,000 people worldwide, and of course the famous Spanish Flu which killed about 675,000 people in the US (our population was only 130,000,000 at the time) and about 50,000,000 people worldwide (1 in 30 people on the planet died).  So we have certainly had our fair share of big ones! Unfortunately, when you have billions of people living on a planet, there will always be viruses and disease in circulation.  As society grows, as do our risks.  We do our best to compete with nature with our technology and advances in modern medicine.  

Anyway, you are right.  Debating these topics is a bit off-topic.  I sincerely hope the CDC moves forward with a plan to get cruises back up and running soon but I also hope that by doing so we don't take all of the joy out of it.  

The measles or polio are more accurate comparisons than is the flu. If not for the MMR vaccine we would have yearly measles outbreaks like we used to where kids would miss two or three weeks of school every year. I guess you're not old enough to remember that. Heaven help us if not for the polio vaccine, again another thing you probably don't remember.

• Like 1

People get outraged because they realize after reading your posts that there are many people who still do not get it.  The flu is no comparison because the Covid-19 virus is currently a pandemic.  There are specific criteria that define outbreak, epidemic and pandemic that have to do with the rate it is spreading and how far it is spreading across the globe.

The seasonal flu, while it certainly can be deadly, is not at the level of a pandemic.  There is a huge difference between the two and folks who do not understand that are part of the problem.

There are tons of resources on the internet that will help educate you about the difference between pandemics epidemics and outbreaks.

The key issue with Covid-19 is how fast it is spreading and that currently there is no clear treatment plan or vaccine.  It travels fast and if we don't contain it we could run the risk of not having the medical facilities to treat infected individuals.

The seasonal flu is not as virulent, has proven vaccines and treatment plans and does not even remotely qualify to be compared to a pandemic.

• Like 6

I think I am just going to put a deposit down on a Miami Beach Hotel for December 2020 as a back up since it appears we probably won't be sailing in December 2020 at this rate.. I already have my flight paid for.. So before I have to give over the remainder of my Final payment on 8/14/2020.. I think this will be my family's best option at this point for a vacation this year.