NCL cancels all August and September sailings

Charles4515

This is why.  The governers of florida and texas. Cost us august/sept.  Maybe more if they keep being in denial.  

I believe the major reason for the cancelations is logistics. The reparation of crew. Thousands of crew still stranded. Getting that crew home and getting new crew. Plus physical changes that would have to be made onboard for distancing. Not enough time to accomplish by August or September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Even though the announcement as stated on their website cancels all September except Seattle-based Alaska cruises, no cruises will display for September 2020.

Edited by logan25
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I believe the major reason for the cancelations is logistics. The reparation of crew. Thousands of crew still stranded. Getting that crew home and getting new crew. Plus physical changes that would have to be made onboard for distancing. Not enough time to accomplish by August or September.

Yes but msc said they can get crew retrained in 2 weeks.  I also think that crews contracts would be up anyway.  Once things fully open by july getting new crew in wont be such a problem imo.  But i agree they could have other issues internally.

But lets face it. The two best options for going in the us were texas and florida. And covid numbers have been spiking.  

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Well I was hoping it was more of a reflection on the enormous undertaking it is to recrew a ship. And since nothing has been released about the meeting...well I was/am just hoping the two aren't connected.

The meeting last week was specifically for getting crew home by setting up a color coded system for the ships in order to do this. 
https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23098-cdc-s-color-system-for-cruise-ships-goes-live.html

Also the last two paragraphs sums it up to me. 
https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/cdc-cruise-lines-face-herculean-task-fighting-covid-19

2 hours ago, seaman11 said:

my sept 21st cruise is saying make a payment , now.  so i take it that is also canceled or will be since it was paid in full. 

Our cruise was Sept 8th and is still showing the on hold/make a payment now page. I figure that page is just a general place holder. We did receive an email from NCL giving the same cancellation info as what is listed in the link that was previously posted. 

Chances are the place holder page will be removed at the same time the cruise listing is removed and replaced with an FCC (if you don't choose a refund).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Snowrose said:

Our cruise was Sept 8th and is still showing the on hold/make a payment now page. I figure that page is just a general place holder. We did receive an email from NCL giving the same cancellation info as what is listed in the link that was previously posted. 

Chances are the place holder page will be removed at the same time the cruise listing is removed and replaced with an FCC (if you don't choose a refund).

When they cancelled our April 5th cruise, it stayed on My NCL until after the date of cruise.   Return of my CruiseNext deposits and receiving the FCC took awhile after that.

(BTW, still waiting for a $203 refund of prepaid service charges....it won't break me, but now so many more for them to work on)

28 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

Some just dont get it. The governers of va nj dc md and ny are doing a good job opening up slowly.  Florida and texas govs. Not so much. Sure go to work but parties ,bars and huge gatherings with no masks . not smart. 

Isn't it ironic ? I believe Florida extended their 14 day quarantine period for travelers from NY, NJ, and CT. When the reality is those 3 states should be requiring visitors from Florida to quarantine 14 days when they arrive here...

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

For one, they have not even  begun discussions with the CDC about new Basic requirements For cruising outlined by the CDC Re upgraded medical facilities and their ability to contact privately for evacuations at sea without involving the navy or coast guard. If you are going to staff a vessel with foreign workers, many of them will not be permitted to enter the US anytime soon.  Many ports in both Europe i and the Caribbean may be open for foreign travel by September, but ports like those in Denmark and some Caribbean islands will not permit cruise ships at that time.

i expect Carnival and Royal will be altering their prospected sail dates as well

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

Isn't it ironic ? I believe Florida extended their 14 day quarantine period for travelers from NY, NJ, and CT. When the reality is those 3 states should be requiring visitors from Florida to quarantine 14 days when they arrive here...

Clearly our governor is doing this for the benefit of those travelers from NY, NJ, and CT so they won’t have to be infected by us, lol...

This is the letter that was sent to people on affected cruises. It somewhat explains the Alaska sailings that weren't cancelled

But they don’t explain how they would get around the PVSA requirement to have a foreign port.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

This is the letter that was sent to people on affected cruises. It somewhat explains the Alaska sailings that weren't cancelled

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 9.34.57 PM.png

How does this explain the Alaska sailings.  NCL still has to stop at a Canadian port in order to do an Alaska sailing, and that clearly isn't going to happen.  Alaska is now requiring a negative COVID test and/or a quarantine, and even if those requirements were dropped by September 1, the cruise line would need a waiver of the PSVA...and the likelihood of that happening is zero.  This just seems like a good way to hold on to cruisers' money.

• Like 4

We paid for a cruise Aug 31, 2020 out of Miami: canceled. Just canceled Flights from Indianapolis to Miami and back on Southwest. The charges are still showing as "pending" on my credit card. No refund from Southwest. Shows we have travel funds available. Funny how a few days ago we got the last 2 seats in category "want to get away" then yesterday there were 2 more seats in that category for $10.00 more one way and $20.00 ore the other. Wonder if they'll only have 4 seats left now. Like someone else said. It's not going to break us. We were really starting to get excited about getting back to traveling. Maybe after first of year.

P.S. We're booked on the Jade TA at the end of October with a final payment date of July 3rd. Haven't cancelled yet. Any one with any insight as to weather they think it will sail? Good luck all, Stay safe!

1 minute ago, harkinmr said:

How does this explain the Alaska sailings.  NCL still has to stop at a Canadian port in order to do an Alaska sailing, and that clearly isn't going to happen.  Alaska is now requiring a negative COVID test and/or a quarantine, and even if those requirements were dropped by September 1, the cruise line would need a waiver of the PSVA...and the likelihood of that happening is zero.  This just seems like a good way to hold on to cruisers' money.

Actually according to this article, they may use POA as the ship.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23101-norwegian-hopes-to-cruise-to-alaska-in-september.html

28 minutes ago, LisaandMike said:

P.S. We're booked on the Jade TA at the end of October with a final payment date of July 3rd. Haven't cancelled yet. Any one with any insight as to weather they think it will sail? Good luck all, Stay safe!

The only thing I can point to is that "list" posted on various threads here (the list that might/might not be true) that shows the Jade starting back on November 22 - but AFAIK nobody really knows. 🙃😀

1134985952_nclReLaunchlist.thumb.jpg.c19

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

What constitutes a port stop? Do people have to actually get off the ship? Can they just tie up to the dock, idle the ship for an hour, and then leave? Because maybe they could convince Canada to let them tie up to the dock if nobody got off.

Edit to add: Or if docking work, could they not even get close to a dock and stay at tender distance? Even if the tenders were never used?

Edited by rabidstoat

That list is kind of turning out to be accurate... at least for the moment.  The first two ships on that list have dates in Sept. that have now been canceled.  But the reason for that seems due to the fact they are both Canada itineraries (on Encore and Insignia).  It looks like now Sky will be the first ship to start on October 5th.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out...

1 minute ago, rabidstoat said:

What constitutes a port stop? Do people have to actually get off the ship? Can they just tie up to the dock, idle the ship for an hour, and then leave? Because maybe they could convince Canada to let them tie up to the dock if nobody got off.

Edit to add: Or if docking work, could they not even get close to a dock and stay at tender distance?

They have to actually tie up and let passengers off the ship.  They are not allowed to do a "mock" port stop and disembarkation.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I don’t think so. I believe they are only exempted from the PVSA on Hawaiian itineraries.

27 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

That's what I thought as well.  

Correct. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rabidstoat said:

Edit to add: Or if docking work, could they not even get close to a dock and stay at tender distance? Even if the tenders were never used?

Yes, passengers have to be able to disembark for the port call to satisfy PVSA requirements. The old "sail bys" that they used to do at Ensenada to make cruises from the west coast to Hawaii and back legal were outlawed over a decade ago.

• Like 1

Okay, another thought! What are the penalties for violating the PVSA and not doing a foreign port stop?

I know if an individual passenger gets off early or on late in a way that they're only hitting US ports, the cruise line is fined something like $700 or $800. They then pass the fine on to the passenger?

Is that the only penalty? Could the cruise lines theoretically add a $700 or $800 'PVSA Violation Fee' to the ticket cost and just defy the act, without consequences other than the monetary one?