NCL extends cancellations through Sept

KirkNC

No surprise.   I  expect that the cancellations with extend well beyond the September time frame.

The latest covid numbers are a disaster. Not just the numbers, but the trajectory and the anticipated high plateaus.  Very much different that the experiences in Europe.    Not in one city or in one state but in many cities and many states.  

I believe the biggest problem is with those political leaders and others who are in denial for one reason or another or simply have their heads in the sand.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

The cruise lines need the CDC to tell them the Guidelines necessary to resume cruising.  Once they have some idea of what will be required the cruise lines may need some time to implement any requested changes.  One interesting possibility is that the CDC would order the lines to only operate a specific occupancy rate (i.e. 50%,  60%, etc).  But the August cruises (Carnival had a few of those) may have already oversold some future limitation.  Then what?  Such a mess.

Hank

19 hours ago, iancal said:

No surprise.   I  expect that the cancellations with extend well beyond the September time frame.

The latest covid numbers are a disaster. Not just the numbers, but the trajectory and the anticipated high plateaus.  Very much different that the experiences in Europe.    Not in one city or in one state but in many cities and many states.  

I believe the biggest problem is with those political leaders and others who are in denial for one reason or another or simply have their heads in the sand.

Not to get too far off topic, but political leaders and others are walking a thin and difficult line between trying to save the economy and jobs by allowing businesses to reopen and having the country suffer through the increased numbers of infection which result.

It is an awful position to be in, IMO.

Edited by DFD1

20 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

NCL hopes to be in Alaska in September. Pride of America could do the job without Canada.  

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23101-norwegian-hopes-to-cruise-to-alaska-in-september.html

I saw that.  If they can pull it off they will have a huge competitive advantage.  The Pride is flagged in the US so no foreign ports necessary.

12 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I saw that.  If they can pull it off they will have a huge competitive advantage.  The Pride is flagged in the US so no foreign ports necessary.

Actually they can't.  Pride of America was not fully US built and has a limited exemption to sail Hawaii only, except for occasional trips to drydock.  It's discussed in the PVSA thread.  In any case, access to Alaska is very limited.

Roy

19 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Actually they can't.  Pride of America was not fully US built and has a limited exemption to sail Hawaii only, except for occasional trips to drydock.  It's discussed in the PVSA thread.  In any case, access to Alaska is very limited.

Roy

Well this article disagrees.  Not saying Cruise Industry News can't screw up a story but...

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23101-norwegian-hopes-to-cruise-to-alaska-in-september.html

"However, Norwegian has the only modern, large U.S.-flagged cruise ship in the world in the Pride of America. The U.S. flag means it can conduct cruises without visiting a foreign port. If the ship were to redeploy, new itineraries could include Alaska without Canada, or the U.S. East Coast, which would give Norwegian access to high yielding markets."

Can HAL be far behind?

Heck I just checked and HAL has effectively already done the same with only two cruises available in September .

I’m re booked for a September cruise. We’ll see if they follow

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

10 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Well this article disagrees.  Not saying Cruise Industry News can't screw up a story but...

I have greater faith in Chengkp75 (whose career includes Chief Engineer with NCL) over Cruise Industry News.

Roy

I will add that Alaska may be a bit hyper-sensitive right now as they just had an outbreak on one of their ferries, with service recently suspended on the Tustenema, the boat that serves the Aleutian Islands.

Roy

Here is a snip from the Maritime Law Exemption for NCL

NCL was recently granted a legislative exemption7 from the U.S.-built requirement of U.S. vessel documentation law to operate three foreign-built cruise ships in limited domestic itineraries under the U.S. flag.8 These ships must meet all other requirements to operate under the U.S. flag, including U.S. ownership requirements and operating with a U.S. crew. NCL has created a U.S. subsidiary, NCL America, to meet the U.S. ownership requirements to operate U.S.-flag vessels in domestic trade.9 Because the U.S.-built requirement is waived and the vessels will be operating under the U.S. flag, these ships will be considered qualified to operate in the domestic trade. These ships are therefore unaffected by the restrictions of the PVSA. However, the exemption limits the markets these ships may serve. NCL is required to keep the ships in “regular service” in Hawaii and is restricted from using the exempted vessels for transporting passengers to ports in the Caribbean, the Gulf of Mexico, or Alaska.10 NCL is scheduled to begin service in Hawaii in July 2004.

Note it specifically states NO Alaska.

They could however get around it and pay the $300 fine for each passenger they put ashore in Alaska if they miss Victoria.