Carnival to Dump Six Ships

besberry

20 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

It's almost 4 moths to go until is Azura is due to sail to Caribbean

I am watching the situation with interest as I am due to sail on her next January, and my final balance is due one week before her repositioning cruise. If the latter does not go ahead, I suspect that the whole Winter season will be cancelled for both her and Britannia. As I paid only £50 deposit, I will not throw good money after bad. If it does, I am hopeful that the season will be completed and I will pay up. Fingers and toes crossed!

Edited by Denarius
post expanded
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Can't imagine US sailings or customers will be welcome on any ship, sadly w/o the US customers is a sailing even worthwhile?

covid_state_06_26.JPG

covid_06_26.JPG

But P&O does not rely on US cruisers, and Caribbean cruises do not enter US ports, so not really relevant. 

However, if enough Caribbean islands ban cruise ships, yes, P&O's winter programme will be thrown into disarray. 

4 hours ago, option1 said:

AIDA Cruises suspends cruises with ports in the USA and Canada for 2020

Why are P&O taking bookings for carribean cruises for this year ?

Because there are still some people who are daft enough to throw money at P&O in order to help their cash flow and are relaxed to await over 3 months to get their money back when the cruise is eventually cancelled!

• Like 1

Given what's happened in the US as soon as bars opened up, I fail to see how there will be any cruises this side of a vaccine.  Insurance will be impossible for a start.  

That said, it does look increasingly possible there could be a vaccine by Summer 2021.  

29 minutes ago, mat5664 said:

Given what's happened in the US as soon as bars opened up, I fail to see how there will be any cruises this side of a vaccine.  Insurance will be impossible for a start.  

That said, it does look increasingly possible there could be a vaccine by Summer 2021.  

I agree with your first part, but not your second, unless you have been to crystal balls are us!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mat5664 said:

Medical insurance is fine, but not cancellation. See other threads.

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

But P&O does not rely on US cruisers, and Caribbean cruises do not enter US ports, so not really relevant. 

However, if enough Caribbean islands ban cruise ships, yes, P&O's winter programme will be thrown into disarray. 

Too true. Different islands take different views.

4 hours ago, mat5664 said:

I stick with what I've posted before and there will be a vaccine long before summer 2021. AstraZeneca wouldn't be producing billions of doses of a vaccine which they will sell at cost, if they didn't have a high degree of confidence that it would work.

Of course they and I could be wrong - lets hope not.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, NoFlyGuy said:

I stick with what I've posted before and there will be a vaccine long before summer 2021. AstraZeneca wouldn't be producing billions of doses of a vaccine which they will sell at cost, if they didn't have a high degree of confidence that it would work.

I do hope you're right, otherwise my pension could be in jeopardy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoFlyGuy said:

Even if you are right , you need to immunise at least  1000 million people. How long will that take?

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Even if you are right , you need to immunise at least  1000 million people. How long will that take?

4.6 billion doses needed for 60% vaccination level of world population 😲, annually

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

It's highly unlikely to be oral. After all, the standard protection for "normal" flu is by injection. 

Internet says could be oral. Lots of discussion about the old polio vaccine helping. That was oral.

12 minutes ago, besberry said:

,Well we now know the name of one of the ships.  Costa Victoria has been sold for scrap.  One down five to go.

Built in 1996 so only 24 years old, she must be in bad condition as removing her from the fleet only reduces the overall capacity by 2000 passengers. Or maybe the first of a lot of 20th century builds on the way to the Indian beaches.

4 hours ago, No pager thank you said:

Surprised that she has been sold for scrap, that doesn't bode well for the other five?

Once ships are over 15 years old maintenance costs spiral as they need statutory dry dock inspections every 2.5 years instead of 5 years with a diver inspection in between.

They also need steel thickness testing with the cost of any work needing doing.

A number of the older ships are probably too costly to maintain and understandable why the oldest ships are thought to be the casualties of Carnivals ship cull.

Edited by grapau27
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Once ships are over 15 years old maintenance costs spiral as they need statutory dry dock inspections every 2.5 years instead of 5 years with a diver inspection in between.

They also need steel thickness testing with the cost of any work needing doing.

A number of the older ships are probably too costly to maintain and understandable why the oldest ships are thought to be the casualties of Carnivals ship cull.

Thank you Graham, wasn't aware of these points around maintenance.

• Thanks 1

Gosh wonder what happens with the old Athena that I started my cruising life on.  She is still sailing with Phoenix Raisen.  She sank the Andria Doria when she was called The Stockholm.  She was built in 1933 I think.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Gosh wonder what happens with the old Athena that I started my cruising life on.  She is still sailing with Phoenix Raisen.  She sank the Andria Doria when she was called The Stockholm.  She was built in 1933 I think.

You're thinking of Astoria, which is still sailing (for now!) with Cruise and Maritime.   She came into service in 1948 as MS Stockholm, and as you rightly say is probably more infamous for her part in the collision with the Andrea Doria.   She was indeed also called Athena at one point though when CIC had her.

Phoenix Reisen have the former P&O Artemis (or Arty Mouse or Arthritis depending on what you knew her as!)  now renamed Artania.

Edited by showingdiva

27 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I wonder if older ships have thicker steel hulls though, like older cars.  Some have an ice strengthened hull as well, e.g. Minerva which was made for Russian waters and sailed for Swan Hellenic (not to be confused with Minerva II which is a more modern ship and became Adonia).  I think I once read ice strengthened ships have a double hull, but not sure if my memory of that is correct.