Cruises out of Southampton start date

37 minutes ago, Lindypops said:

Has anyone heard when cruises out of Southampton will start?

Anthem is currently in Mumbai 

thanks

Anthem left Mumbai early this morning and is now headed to the suez canal...  Sorry, but that's all of her itinerary that I know (from marinetraffic.com)

10 hours ago, Lindypops said:

Has anyone heard when cruises out of Southampton will start?

Anthem is currently in Mumbai 

thanks

With the 14-day quarantine/isolation when entering the UK that just went into effect, it would be impossible to get the international travelers required to fill up the ships. And you would have to quarantine yourself once returning from the cruise, so many UK passengers would not want to go on a cruise. So, now you're down to an empty boat. Or a few pensioners who don't care about quarantining when returning to the UK. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

With the 14-day quarantine/isolation when entering the UK that just went into effect, it would be impossible to get the international travelers required to fill up the ships. 

Yep, the UK government really is doing it's best to destroy the tourist industry.  Hopefully the court action brought by various airlines and other businesses has some effect.

I saw that about the USA is it worldwide except China?

the statement issued yesterday 

Royal Caribbean Announces Global Suspension Of Cruising

CLIA has announced the voluntarily suspension of U.S. cruise operations until September 15. We will share more details about this announcement with our guests early next week.

At Royal Caribbean International, our guests and crew's safety and well-being are always our top priorities. After further consulting with our partners at Cruise Lines International Association and in conjunction with the CDC, we have decided to extend the suspension of sailings for our global fleet for all sailings through July 31st, 2020. Our goal is to resume operations on August 1st, 2020 for the majority of our fleet.

maybe more clarity next week

Edited by Lindypops

8 minutes ago, Lindypops said:

I saw that about the USA is it worldwide except China?

At the moment only China Available now in Aug, everything else Gone 

September , all Southampton and northern Europe,    next cruise available from UK is October 

2 hours ago, Lindypops said:

Yes I have also been tacking her , she must be heading back towards Southampton .

we are booked on October 4th sailing so fingers crossed 🤞

Oct 4 is the first cruise that is open to book from Southampton now.

Sept 17 is the first one from Spain (Jewel) then Sept 20 on Allure. 

There is another post where they are due to go on the Anthem form Southampton in the 16th August and they called to speak to RCL today and told it was still on.
Finger crossed to all booked on August and September cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

26 minutes ago, Shongar said:

There is another post where they are due to go on the Anthem form Southampton in the 16th August and they called to speak to RCL today and told it was still on.
Finger crossed to all booked on August and September cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perhaps the call centre staff in Guatemala should read CC... or check their booking systems to see what is on sale and what is Code Red?

3 hours ago, Lindypops said:

IMHO the quarantine  on entering the UK will be dropped in the near future, it is impossible to police .

Yes, it was nothing more than a political stunt and about four months too late! It will be phased out before the end of this month.

My pensioner mate was stuck in lockdown at his home in Cape Town and he flew home about 10 ten days ago by private jet. He was supposed to self-quarantine at his house in Richmond, London, but instead went straight to his daughter’s house in Yorkshire.

Have UK Border Farce been in touch with him? What do you think?

Cheers, John.

19 hours ago, Lindypops said:

Yes I have also been tacking her , she must be heading back towards Southampton .

we are booked on October 4th sailing so fingers crossed 🤞

As P&O have cancelled all cruises until October 15th and Cunard have cancelled up to November I would be surprised if RC sets sail first from Southampton.

16 hours ago, little britain said:

Oct 4 is the first cruise that is open to book from Southampton now.

Sept 17 is the first one from Spain (Jewel) then Sept 20 on Allure. 

I saw Spain announced yesterday that whilst reopen for tourists, cruises are banned indefinitely 😪

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Maybe by the time the fifth terminal is done:

The Port of Southampton will gain a fifth cruise terminal, enhancing an industry described by Anne-Marie Mountifield, chief executive, Solent Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP), as a 'lynchpin of our national visitor economy.’

She added, ‘This is a timely and unparalleled opportunity to restart the Solent’s visitor economy which has been so deeply impacted in 2020.

'Investment in our ... cruise industry will not only benefit the sector, but also represents a strong backing for our local supply chains, transport links, retail and hospitality businesses that rely on the customer base generated by activity at the port.’

Funding and sustainability

The development is part of a £15.9m investment from Solent LEP, which is funded by the government’s Getting Building Fund for projects that boost local economies.

Solent LEP has described the forthcoming terminal as an ‘iconic wave-inspired building’ comprising solar power and shore power facilities, for a ‘greener future ... ensuring a world leading zero-emissions facility for cruise vessels in port.’

Alastair Welch, regional director, Associated British Ports (ABP), commented, ‘We are pleased to hear of the announcement confirming the government’s continued support for the cruise sector, which is crucial to our economy.’

The number of cruise ships calling at Southampton grew from 250 to 500 between 2009-2019in 2019 the number of cruise ships calling for the first time increased by 27% on the previous year, according to ABP.

Proposal 

The idea for a fifth terminal was pitched in 2010 and included in the ABP 2009-2030 Master Plan, where construction by 2025 was noted, ‘most probably in the Western Docks, to accommodate anticipated growth in the cruise market.’

The UK had its first covid death free day on 3rd August

For seven weeks, more have died of flu and pneumonia than covid

I can see no reason why cruising cannot start in the Autumn - There are many European destinations that are also clearing of covid

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, compman9 said:

The UK had its first covid death free day on 3rd August

For seven weeks, more have died of flu and pneumonia than covid

I can see no reason why cruising cannot start in the Autumn - There are many European destinations that are also clearing of covid

As the Foreign Office advisory still says that U.K. citizens should not go on cruise ships, no cruise ships will sail from the U.K. until this is lifted.

in case you hadn’t noticed, the trend in new cases is now increasing. So I don’t see the FCO advisory changing any time soon. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

As the Foreign Office advisory still says that U.K. citizens should not go on cruise ships, no cruise ships will sail from the U.K. until this is lifted.

in case you hadn’t noticed, the trend in new cases is now increasing. So I don’t see the FCO advisory changing any time soon. 

I am aware of the current advice. And why wouldn't I be aware of the new case trends? I am not an idiot.

Posts like your really wind me up - So condescending and unnecessary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, compman9 said:

I am aware of the current advice. And why wouldn't I be aware of the new case trends? I am not an idiot.

Posts like your really wind me up - So condescending and unnecessary.

Whatever.

Hopefully other users will find the information in my post to be helpful 

• Like 6