Non refundable deposit

flcruisechick16

Hello, we are booked on the November 7 Celebrity Apex. We booked a package with a non refundable deposit. It looks highly unlikely that we will be cruising then. I am just finishing cancer treatments so high risk and this was supposed to be my cancer free celebration. The policies on the website say it has flexible cancellation options but does that apply to cruises that were booked a while back before this all started? I don’t mind either cancelling or postponing, would just prefer to not lose my deposit. Will I lose my deposit if we cancel before pif and if celebrity hasn’t canceled yet? I can’t risk going until this pandemic is under control. Thanks so much 

Caroline 

A NRD has a charge of $100 per person if you cancel, any monies over that amount are returned as a Future Cruise Credit.  If Celebrity  cancels the cruise then your entire deposit is fully refundable. Have you looked into the possibility of taking advantage of the Same Cruise Same Price (often referred to as Lift and Shift on these boards) and moving your cruise to same time, same itinerary next year? 

Congratulations to nearing the end of your cancer treatments🎉.

I believe if you move the cruise to another sailing date they are forgiving the $100 pp admin fee during this time.  Even if you outright cancel I believe you get the entire deposit in a FCC.  When you figure out what you want to do and give your travel provider a call and discuss with them your options.

12 minutes ago, flcruisechick16 said:

Thanks, we are definitely considering postponing, just was thinking of trying a different itinerary. So that wouldn’t qualify right? Thanks again 

I just did a “Lift and Shift” from a 1/30/2021 Apex Western Caribbean to a 1/29/2022 Apex Eastern Caribbean. 

At a minimum, you should be able to take advantage of the Cruise with Confidence program and get a Future Cruise Credit for your deposit amount, valid on any sailing up to April 30, 2022 ( give or take a few days), but you have to book it by 12/31/2021. 

Congrats on finishing your cancer treatment and best of luck!!’n

mac_tlc

20 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I believe if you move the cruise to another sailing date they are forgiving the $100 pp admin fee during this time.  Even if you outright cancel I believe you get the entire deposit in a FCC.  When you figure out what you want to do and give your travel provider a call and discuss with them your options.

We recently cancelled an Apex cruise with a NRD and transferred to a different ship and itinerary.  We did not lose the rebooking fee of $100 and the full deposit was transferred to the new booking.  The booking number stayed the same.

to piggy back on this topic, if a NRD cruise is cancelled and a FCC is given, can the FCC be used as a deposit on another cruise later (not sure what I would want to do just yet, definitely not Europe for awhile) or would I still need to put out another $900 deposit (and the FCC would be applied to the balance of the new cruise).  

Or if, I make a decision to go to the caribbean instead, can I just transfer the deposit (not FCC) to another cruise, is that just an even exchange?

Generally FCC can't be used for deposits, it's in the T&C. If you have another cruise in mind it is always best to just move your exsting reservation (same res number) to the new sailing date.    So yes you move the reservation with the existing deposit to the new cruise.

• Like 1

And check with your TA about the Lift/Shift.  We just did it for an Oct, 2020 Transatlantic to the same cruise in 2021.  The fare remained unchanged from our cancelled 2020 cruise, rather than the  currently posted  fares (which are about $650 higher and include fewer perks).  If you change cruise itineraries, I believe you pay the currently posted fare/perks.  

6 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

We recently cancelled an Apex cruise with a NRD and transferred to a different ship and itinerary.  We did not lose the rebooking fee of $100 and the full deposit was transferred to the new booking.  The booking number stayed the same.

Just to be clear, it the booking number is the same, then you did not technically cancel the cruise but rather transferred the reservation to a different cruise.

If you cancel a cruise and later book a new cruise it is not the same thing - you would get the deposit as FCC and could use it as part of the final payment but not towards the deposit on the new cruise.

1 minute ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Just to be clear, it the booking number is the same, then you did not technically cancel the cruise but rather transferred the reservation to a different cruise.

If you cancel a cruise and later book a new cruise it is not the same thing - you would get the deposit as FCC and could use it as part of the final payment but not towards the deposit on the new cruise.

Yes, we technically did not “cancel” the original cruise.  We “transferred” it to an entirely different cruise.  Thank you for pointing out my mistake.....my bad.